The Longhorn Jokes Write Themselves

12,263 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 10ecAggie
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Well, that depends on how exactly you define "top 7%" in this case. In theory, that would be 0.7 students, but you can't admit a fraction of a student. So, how do you convert this into a whole number?

• Round up to 1. The valedictorian of a school, no matter how small, gets counted as "top 7%" and is automatically admitted. But this creates a "homeschool loophole" where any student can technically claim valedictorian status.
  • Round down to 0. This rules out the possibility of top 7% automatic admission from any graduating class of 14 students or fewer. Sorry, Madison.
  • Round to nearest. In this case, it's the same as rounding up. Madison qualifies for top 7% admission. But anyone from a graduating class of 7 or fewer is still SOL.

The same issue affects big schools too. For example, in a graduating class of 754 students, the top 7% is 52.78; should that round down to 52 or up to 53? But of course, the impact is more noticeable for smaller schools.

You are over-thinking this.
idAg09
RealTalk said:

Quote:

Well, that depends on how exactly you define "top 7%" in this case. In theory, that would be 0.7 students, but you can't admit a fraction of a student. So, how do you convert this into a whole number?

• Round up to 1. The valedictorian of a school, no matter how small, gets counted as "top 7%" and is automatically admitted. But this creates a "homeschool loophole" where any student can technically claim valedictorian status.
  • Round down to 0. This rules out the possibility of top 7% automatic admission from any graduating class of 14 students or fewer. Sorry, Madison.
  • Round to nearest. In this case, it's the same as rounding up. Madison qualifies for top 7% admission. But anyone from a graduating class of 7 or fewer is still SOL.

The same issue affects big schools too. For example, in a graduating class of 754 students, the top 7% is 52.78; should that round down to 52 or up to 53? But of course, the impact is more noticeable for smaller schools.

The 53rd person doesn't think so...
BrazosDog02
AG
For me, the bigger question is why she would even consider tu as an option having growing up in or around ag. I know for me there wasn't even a cosideration of applying to tu. Second question is also regarding her tu choice...do people regularly pick school's based on logos?
bac
AG
I picked A&M over t.u. based on school colors.
vin1041
AG
Hope everything works out for her.
Rusty GCS
AG
There's a huge bump in applications for schools whose team wins the football national championship
West Point Aggie
AG
I picked A&M over tu because...oh wait, tu doesn't offer my field of study!

And because nothing looks good in burnt orange
Gil Renard
AG
Rusty GCS said:

She should have tried being Asian. I think tu auto-admits Asian valedictorians

Ed Zachary right
Krazykat
AG
RealTalk said:

A&M will accept anybody nowadays. At least UT got higher standards.

Agreed. I've got friends with kids going to A&M that would have never been admitted when I attended A&M 25+ years ago.
Gigemchicken90
AG
My kid was 9/99. We didn't want to find out what they did if she was 10/99. It sure made summer after her junior year more enjoyable knowing she was in.

idAg09 said:

RealTalk said:

Quote:

The 53rd person doesn't think so...
commando2004
AG
Gigemchicken90 said:

My kid was 9/99. We didn't want to find out what they did if she was 10/99. It sure made summer after her junior year more enjoyable knowing she was in.
If she took the recommended courses and had an adequate SAT or ACT score, she would be automatically admitted by being in the Top 25%. But, that just shifts the issue to the 25th-place person.
10ecAggie
AG
10 seniors, assume 5 guys (50/50), let's say they 4 of 5 play FB. add 3 classes below, assuming all play FB, you have a full team of 16. the odds are looking pretty slim.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.