The Longhorn Jokes Write Themselves

12,238 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 10ecAggie
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Longhorn Jokes

Read until the end.. WHOOP!
Unemployed
AG
A&M will accept anybody nowadays. At least UT got higher standards.
chipotle
Quote:

"I saw that Longhorn logo and I was like, 'I really, really like that. I want to be a Longhorn,'"

Geralt of Rivia
S
I've been to Fayetteville before. This really hits close to home.
CDUB98
AG
Don't read any more than this at the end:

Quote:

Meanwhile, Mau graduates from high school this week. Amid the confusion over her application to UT-Austin, she began to consider other options. She toured a couple more universities and researched the medical school acceptance rates of other pre-med programs. After some soul-searching, she reconsidered where she truly belonged.

She'll be attending Texas A&M this fall.
Wildman15
AG
Now that she's at A&M, let's hope she implores her state reps to level the bevel
Tomdoss92
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

I've been to Fayetteville before. This really hits close to home.
I got a ticket once in Fayette county, Really makes you think.
Rusty GCS
AG
She should have tried being Asian. I think tu auto-admits Asian valedictorians
Beer Baron
AG
So we accepted someone they didn't? How's that a longhorn joke?
74OA
AG
Setting aside the vagaries of the state's automatic admissions policy, the remarkable aspect of this story to me is that a student with her outstanding academic and social record was also rejected as a general applicant. What does it take these days?
TPS_Report
AG
74OA said:

Setting aside the vagaries of the state's automatic admissions policy, the remarkable aspect of this story to me is that a student with her outstanding academic and social record was also rejected as a general applicant. What does it take these days?
Man, I don't think I could get into Community College these days! Now that ITT and Trump U are kaput I'd be out of options!
redd38
AG
Beer Baron said:

She was accepted by both schools and choose A&M after looking beyond who had the best logo.
redd38
AG
74OA said:

I'm guessing the fact that she didn't have any AP classes hurt her. If she had non-stellar test scores too then she starts to look like a pretty average applicant.
Beer Baron
AG
Bevel paying dividends.
powerbelly
AG
74OA said:

We only know the highlights of her resume.

Not knowing test scores, AP classes, etc. it is hard to evaluate her as a candidate.
Human
AG
Get her an account to Texags, so she can quickly change her mind.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So the takeaway here is that Texas A&M is well along the way to turning itself into Arizona State (except without the hotties)?
74OA
AG
redd38 said:

Beer Baron said:

She was accepted by both schools and choose A&M after looking beyond who had the best logo.
Rusty GCS
AG
powerbelly51 said:

74OA said:

We only know the highlights of her resume.

Not knowing test scores, AP classes, etc. it is hard to evaluate her as a candidate.

We know from the article that a tu Dean told her not to worry that her resume was good enough to be accepted
Unemployed
AG
74OA said:

redd38 said:

Beer Baron said:

She was initially denied admittance to UT.
powerbelly
AG
And we know that was not true.
Rusty GCS
AG
...this why we are questioning what in the heck these admissions people are looking for when a Top 10% valedictorian is told by a Dean that her resume was easily good enough.
Beer Baron
AG
Rusty GCS said:

...this why we are questioning what in the heck these admissions people are looking for when a Top 10% valedictorian is told by a Dean that her resume was easily good enough.
Top 10% Valedictorian at a very, very podunk school. This needs to be stressed.

Disclaimer: I am a top 10% valedictorian from a school every bit this podunk.
Ragoo
AG
blindey said:

So the takeaway here is that Texas A&M is well along the way to turning itself into Arizona State (except without the hotties)?
let me know when the reputation of a tamu graduate is that of being from a degree mill.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, I had a buddy at A&M who said he had started out on the president's scholarship or whatever for being a valedictorian but it ended pretty quickly. Asked him what happened and he said being a valedictorian at his school wasn't exactly a huge deal...something like 20 kids in his class and they weren't all going to college.
chipotle
From what I gather this is a very very pro UTaustin article.
PrincessButtercup
AG
My first job on campus was as an admissions reviewer. I read through admission applications for hours every day. Her application would be mediocre in the scope of a lot of the applications I saw. Valedictorian at a public school with a class of 10 isn't impressive compared to MANY of the kids who are applying.
IIIHorn
MrsC2012 said:

Longhorn Jokes

Read until the end.. WHOOP!

commando2004
AG
74OA said:

I'm sure that Madison is a smart girl, but how "outstanding" of an applicant is she, really?

"Perfect grades"? Well, what kind of grading system does her high school have? Is it just whole A/B/C/D/F letter grades (in which case it only takes 90% to be "perfect"), +/- modifications, or percentages? Do teachers grade on a curve. All we really know is that she has the highest GPA out of 10 students.

"Future Farmers of America president, National Honor Society president, class president, student council president"? Well, I'm glad she's interested in leadership roles, but for all we know, she's just one of 4 active members of NHS, and her boyfriend decided to vote for her rather than run for president himself.
Rusty GCS
AG
10% is 10%. She was 1 if 10.

And every university in America strives for a low student to teacher ratio because it provides a better education. These small town kids have received a lot of 1 on 1 education.

Small town doesn't mean less of an education and Madison is obviously smart as she has now been accepted to Texas and Texas A&M.

And I don't care how she got her leadership roles. Only that she has had leadership roles and grown from them.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Rusty GCS said:

10% is 10%. She was 1 if 10.

And every university in America strives for a low student to teacher ratio because it provides a better education. These small town kids have received a lot of 1 on 1 education.

Small town doesn't mean less of an education and Madison is obviously smart as she has now been accepted to Texas and Texas A&M.

And I don't care how she got her leadership roles. Only that she has had leadership roles and grown from them.

Texas doesn't do top 10%. They do top 7%. She wasn't top 7% because no one could be. A low teacher to student radio doesn't necessarily mean she's getting a better education either. She might be brilliant, but her application as described in the article is very mediocre in the scope of all the applicants.
marble rye
AG
Sweet, how many recruits are following this chick?
74OA
AG
Whatever. I seem to recall that Texas accepts roughly 40% of applicants. Are you suggesting she's not even in the top 40%?
Unemployed
AG
Rusty GCS said:

You do realize that she was initially denied admittance to UT?

The only reason she got accepted into UT was because they changed their policy to accept any student who graduated as valedictorian of their class.

She may very well be a smart girl but her resume just wasn't good enough for UT.
commando2004
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Texas doesn't do top 10%. They do top 7%. She wasn't top 7% because no one could be.
Well, that depends on how exactly you define "top 7%" in this case. In theory, that would be 0.7 students, but you can't admit a fraction of a student. So, how do you convert this into a whole number?

• Round up to 1. The valedictorian of a school, no matter how small, gets counted as "top 7%" and is automatically admitted. But this creates a "homeschool loophole" where any student can technically claim valedictorian status.
  • Round down to 0. This rules out the possibility of top 7% automatic admission from any graduating class of 14 students or fewer. Sorry, Madison.
  • Round to nearest. In this case, it's the same as rounding up. Madison qualifies for top 7% admission. But anyone from a graduating class of 7 or fewer is still SOL.

The same issue affects big schools too. For example, in a graduating class of 754 students, the top 7% is 52.78; should that round down to 52 or up to 53? But of course, the impact is more noticeable for smaller schools.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.