What was your best/favorite food deal while in college?

16,316 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by maverick2076
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One semester, around '90, I worked at the Double Daves on NG doing delivery.

The greatest part of the job was that you could eat there anytime you wanted, for free. Even if you weren't at work.

So, I would stop in all the time and make myself something. I made some seriously badass rolls (more than just provolone and pepperoni). I made a **** ton of pizzas. I turned "cheese bread" into an art form.

I ate so many pizzas, rolls and cheese bread that I spent a month there eating nothing but the salad bar because I didn't want to eat any more pizza/rolls/bread...

scd88
AG
Pam Poovey said:

I worked at the Grapevine. We got a discount and could eat before our shift. Everything was made there during the day and put in the cooler for reheating and serving at night (pretty much how they do it at most restaurants)

Quiche, big salad, drink for $3.

Great sangria's there. Would go there on Fridays after lunch at Los Nortenos.
scd88
AG
As a former cook and kitchen supervisor at The Deluxe, I'm disappointed nobody has brought the diner up.

Also, La Taqueria set the bar for modern day queso.
OnlyForNow
AG
That was the worst Chinese food in college station.
Psychag
AG
I worked at Godfathers Pizza and took home either a pizza or sandwich everyday.
Carlo4
AG
Los Nortenos for mexican food.

I remember hearing about it, so my parents and I went when they were in town for parents weekend.

Fajita platter was like $13.99, but fed me for lunch and dinner for three days. And the food was good!
wreckncrew
AG
I remember Gumby's pizza roll night. My wife and I would get pizza rolls then head home to watch 24.

Of course Los Nortenos breakfast burritos were great.

Finally, I worked at a company that was in the 8 story office building in Bryan. There was a guy who would come by every day in his food truck to sell breakfast burritos. I would get 1 burrito and an extra tortill for $2.50. Really good burritos for cheap.
Rusty GCS
AG
$5 Fridays at Potato Shack
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Mi Cocina lunch enchiladas and drink for $5.
FishrCoAg
AG
Casa Chapultapec in Bryan. $0.99 beans/cheese/tortillas. No charge for the roaches
TempleAg97
AG
Still love Pepe's to this day, but when I was at A&M, there was a Double Daves on Northgate where the Buffet was $5 with a beer. The kicker was that every beer after that was a quarter! Think it was Tuesday night only or something like that.
62strat
AG
MemAg92 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Tanya 93 said:

62strat said:

GigEmBevo said:

62strat said:

Since some people are talking about drinks...

$.25 well drinks until 9 on weekdays at that place on wellborn just north of northgate.. changed a few times, I think it was salty dog when I was there. I'd take down ~$2 worth before 9. Then have one full price drink for the next hour and half hah.

Then some short lived place in Bryan that did penny pitchers on some night. Rumor was, the guy would pay the fine he'd receive for selling alcohol below cost, over and over again, because it still brought in so many people. It was a standalone warehouse/dance hall type place. It opened around 2000-2001ish, and closed shortly after.

My buddy from houston was visiting, huge drinker at the time (we killed a 1.75L of sunny brook in a night a few times).. I told him this place has penny pitchers.. he sat and thought a few seconds and replied with, 'wait so I can get 100 pitchers for a $1?'

I think that was The Hall? And they are closed now.
I assume you mean Texas hall of fame? No not that place, that was a landmark, I'd feel ashamed if I didn't know what that place was. No his place came and went in a year or so around turn of the century. It was in Bryan bough, but more north of central college station, not off to to the west like the hall.
Denim and Diamonds?

Denim and Diamonds sounds right.
I think it was D&D. Used to be called Grahams Central Station I believe back in the late 80s
Googling graham central station brings up 1600 S College Ave, Bryan.. looking at satellite, that is how I remember it looking. Big open parking lot for a stand alone building. Also remember just going north from northgate (actually northwest of course).. so good chance this it. Name does not ring a bell at all though. And I swear it was their 'grand opening', hence the penny pitchers.... so maybe it changed hands in 2000ish to a different name.

Based on this, D&D was a different location.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Denim-N-Diamonds/131423520297896

62strat
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

I assume you mean Texas hall of fame? No not that place, that was a landmark, I'd feel ashamed if I didn't know what that place was. No his place came and went in a year or so around turn of the century. It was in Bryan bough, but more north of central college station, not off to to the west like the hall.
Barracuda Bar was on Wellborn in a strip center just North of University. I'm sure it had plenty of other names over the years.
yes that is the place. I remember that name as well.. I think it was salty dog when I got there in 98, then a few years later, barracuda bar, then back to salty dog by 03??

I remember following all the happy hours on some website, I think it was called aggiehh.com?? something like that, anybody remember this? It was a very extensive list and updated regularly. They had calendars too for karaoke, bands, etc.

Brad_97
AG
Ag03 CQE said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Cowboy Special at Fitzwilly's

Beer & a burger with fries for $8
I guess I'm an old. When I was there the cowboy special was under $5.
This.

Pretty sure it was $3.75 when I was there. Got it with Shiner or Zieg whichever they replied was colder.

My buddy and I became enough of a daily lunch regular they asked us to help bus a few tables one day in return for beer. After the second pitcher we had to go to class. This was a 3 (4?) hr design studio with 16 people in it. Prof liked us and told us we were "good" and could leave if we wanted. Pretty obvious we'd been drinking - our other buddy called us *******s for drinking without him as soon as we walked in the door. Back to Fitz we went...

Good times.
Brad_97
AG
62strat said:

MemAg92 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Tanya 93 said:

62strat said:

GigEmBevo said:

62strat said:

$.25 well drinks until 9 on weekdays at that place on wellborn just north of northgate.. changed a few times, I think it was salty dog when I was there. I'd take down ~$2 worth before 9. Then have one full price drink for the next hour and half hah.

Then some short lived place in Bryan that did penny pitchers on some night. Rumor was, the guy would pay the fine he'd receive for selling alcohol below cost, over and over again, because it still brought in so many people. It was a standalone warehouse/dance hall type place. It opened around 2000-2001ish, and closed shortly after.

My buddy from houston was visiting, huge drinker at the time (we killed a 1.75L of sunny brook in a night a few times).. I told him this place has penny pitchers.. he sat and thought a few seconds and replied with, 'wait so I can get 100 pitchers for a $1?'

Denim and Diamonds?

I think it was D&D. Used to be called Grahams Central Station I believe back in the late 80s
Googling graham central station brings up 1600 S College Ave, Bryan.. looking at satellite, that is how I remember it looking. Big open parking lot for a stand alone building. Also remember just going north from northgate (actually northwest of course).. so good chance this it. Name does not ring a bell at all though. And I swear it was their 'grand opening', hence the penny pitchers.... so maybe it changed hands in 2000ish to a different name.

Denim and Diamonds used to do an "any coin night" until the baptists made them stop.
GoneGirl
AG
Free bagel coupons in the Batt for the New York Bagel Shop on NG.
Furlock Bones
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

New York Sub (RIP)

$5.25

6" Sub, Chips, and 32oz Shiner
RIP the off menu Spicy Guido.
txags11
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

New York Sub (RIP)

$5.25

6" Sub, Chips, and 32oz Shiner
Oh how I missed those days..closed down while I was at A&M...ate there once or twice a week for lunch
GoneGirl
AG
Oh, and Archie's 39 cent hamburgers. They weren't much but you could get a whole stack of them for $5.
Aggie521
AG
Gumby's $.25 pepperoni rolls every Tuesday
Duncan Idaho
Human said:

Double Dave's buffet
Zip lock bags
A back pack
Apt. Freezer
Profit
one in the belly...two in the bag.
Human
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Human said:

Double Dave's buffet
Zip lock bags
A back pack
Apt. Freezer
Profit

Back when the rolls had a decent amount of pepperoni too!
Ag with kids
AG
Human said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Human said:

Double Dave's buffet
Zip lock bags
A back pack
Apt. Freezer
Profit

I don't know if they've changed it, but there were 5 pieces of pepperoni and a half slice of provolone back in the early 90s.
GoneGirl
AG
Ag with kids said:

Human said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Human said:

Double Dave's buffet
Zip lock bags
A back pack
Apt. Freezer
Profit

I don't know if they've changed it, but there were 5 pieces of pepperoni and a half slice of provolone back in the early 90s.
They've closed most of the Houston area DD, so I started making my own. Mine, have six slices of pepperoni.

Was back in CS for a conference and ordered some to see how mine compare - and mine are definitely better.
Dr. Doctor
AG
One month fish year, when Aggie Bucks were still alive (2000), we looked at our statements online.

One friend had 29 charges to Fitz's in a month. We essentially ate there every day. Had several friends work there.

While you couldn't order beer, as they would card you, you could bring a pitcher back and ask to get it refilled; no ID required. So upstairs we would go, grab an empty pitcher, get 4 new glasses and a set of darts. 4 hours later (and a few pitchers).... finally stumble back across University.

~egon

Ag with kids
AG
TxElsie said:

Ag with kids said:

Human said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Human said:

Double Dave's buffet
Zip lock bags
A back pack
Apt. Freezer
Profit

They've closed most of the Houston area DD, so I started making my own. Mine, have six slices of pepperoni.

Was back in CS for a conference and ordered some to see how mine compare - and mine are definitely better.

Back when I worked there, you could buy the dough for $0.25 if you wanted to make them at home. I never did because I could just make them in the store anytime I wanted for free.

Let's just say that mine didn't have 5 pieces...OR just pepperoni...
haircut
AG
I baked plain vanilla cakes and ate them in a bowl of milk. I had this for dinner many nights and never gained weight
62strat
AG
I worked at Fuddruckers for 1-2 years right when the new location opened up on harvey.. I ate there 10-12X a week and never gained a pound.

As soon as I quit I started gaining weight.
91_Aggie
AG
62strat said:

MemAg92 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Tanya 93 said:

62strat said:

GigEmBevo said:

62strat said:

Denim and Diamonds?

Unfortunately, I know this since I got dragged to Denim & Diamonds with some country friends I had.

There was a dance hall with the name Denim & Diamonds at 1600 S College Ave, Bryan at some point between 1990 and 1993. And they used to have to nickel pitchers or penny pitchers, etc.
Rusty GCS
AG
they used to have $0.25 Slovacek sausage hot dogs at weekday basketball games during the Melvin Watkins years. I used to go eat cheap hot dogs and study in the quiet.
ThatOneAg
62strat
AG
91_Aggie said:

62strat said:

MemAg92 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Tanya 93 said:

62strat said:

GigEmBevo said:

62strat said:

Denim and Diamonds?

Unfortunately, I know this since I got dragged to Denim & Diamonds with some country friends I had.

There was a dance hall with the name Denim & Diamonds at 1600 S College Ave, Bryan at some point between 1990 and 1993. And they used to have to nickel pitchers or penny pitchers, etc.

Hmm.. interesting.
It's apparently the last place Selena sang before she died?

https://plus.google.com/103771642701746917269/posts/655AyfoniNY
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/1421872.html

I'm not sure what the fb link I have above is referring to... I'm thinking it's just the default location for 'bryan tx'

Amazing Moves
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Barracuda Bar was on Wellborn in a strip center just North of University. I'm sure it had plenty of other names over the years.
Retro and Extreme in the early 90's
OnlyForNow
AG
Would love your recipe
treetop flyer
I remember the cowboy special being 4.50 or thereabouts. Class of 00. I took day drinking at fitzwillys one semester.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.