14 yo Irving student arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

34,718 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by riverrataggie
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Dallas Morning News link

quote:
IRVING Ahmed Mohamed who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High on Monday. Instead, the school phoned police about Ahmed's circuit-stuffed pencil case.

So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it's a clock.

In the meantime, Ahmed's been suspended, his father is upset and the Council on American-Islamic Relations is once again eyeing claims of Islamophobia in Irving.
quote:
He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.

"She was like, it looks like a bomb," he said.
"I told her, 'It doesn't look like a bomb to me.'"

The teacher kept the clock. When the principal and a police officer pulled Ahmed out of sixth period, he suspected he wouldn't get it back.

They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he'd never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: "Yup. That's who I thought it was."
quote:
Ahmed never claimed his device was anything but a clock, said police spokesman James McLellan. And police have no reason to think it was dangerous. But officers still didn't believe Ahmed was giving them the whole story.

"We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb," McLellan said. "He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation."

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:
"It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?"

And here is Ahmed explaining how the clock looks.

The terrorists have already won
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chipotle
Teachers are dumb. Pay them more.
riverrataggie
AG
His picture is so wtf.

Damn these cops do it to themselves.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Teachers are dumb. Pay them more.

Cops, too.
redd38
AG
Cops and teachers are two of the stupidest groups of employees. Glad to see them working together to f*** things up.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it's a clock.
Gerald Tarrant
This article seriously pisses me off. ****ing dumbasses. Hope that kid keeps being a baller
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Cops and teachers are two of the stupidest groups of employees. Glad to see them working together to f*** things up.

Don't forget school administrators, the middle men between the teacher and the cops here.
Predmid
AG
Teachers & Cops.

Two careers paths for moronic imbeciles to make a decent living.
riverrataggie
AG
#clocklivesmatter
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
His picture is so wtf.

I know. I feel bad for the kid. Blame the current wave of xenophobia spreading throughout the country.
chipotle
But seriously. After he went through all this crap (which was overkill and ridiculous)...now I really don't trust that kid. Thanks for giving him a reason to hate the system.
Token
AG
the kid is wearing a NASA t shirt while wearing handcuffs and is part of a school org that builds robots. These teachers should be suspended at the least for being a bunch of racists
bmc13
AG
quote:
The concern was, what was this thing built for? "

f/ing hell. now kids interested in electronics are considered terrorists?
Geralt of Rivia
S
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
the kid is wearing a NASA t shirt while wearing handcuffs and is part of a school org that builds robots. These teachers should be suspended at the least for being a bunch of racists
racists and to a further extent letting their close-minded religious minds dictate how to treat others that practice different religions.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
quote:
Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it's a clock.

Definitely beats having to admit you ****ed up.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

Cherry isn't going to be happy about this.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
quote:
The concern was, what was this thing built for? "

f/ing hell. now kids interested in electronics are considered terrorists?
Brown kids with weird non-Meixcan names who are interested in electronics are considered terrorists.
Geralt of Rivia
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
But seriously. After he went through all this crap (which was overkill and ridiculous)...now I really don't trust that kid. Thanks for giving him a reason to hate the system.

It's only a matter of time before anyone with half a brain learns to hate the system. It's good he learned young.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
quote:
His picture is so wtf.

I know. I feel bad for the kid. Blame the current wave of xenophobia spreading throughout the country.

He's even wearing a NASA shirt. You can't make this up.

Things have changed for the worse. I remember a girl in my class sophomore high school year, she brought her lunch every day. One day she accidentally grabbed a Budweiser instead of a coke out of the fridge. As she opened up the foil she just started crying. We all thought it was funny as hell. The teacher didn't tell anyone of leadership position and told us all not to say anything either and she went and discarded the beer. We joked the rest of the year she drank it herself. To bad an incident like this would result in her being expelled and ruining her life now.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
His picture is so wtf.

He's even wearing a NASA shirt. You can't make this up.

Things have changed for the worse. I remember a girl in my class sophomore high school year, she brought her lunch every day. One day she accidentally grabbed a Budweiser instead of a coke out of the fridge. As she opened up the foil she just started crying. We all thought it was funny as hell. The teacher didn't tell anyone of leadership position and told us all not to say anything either and she went and discarded the beer. We joked the rest of the year she drank it herself. To bad an incident like this would result in her being expelled and ruining her life now.
Probably so. That's pretty funny, though. What grade? She should've teen wolfed that beer.
riverrataggie
AG
10th.
saber69
AG
quote:
]They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he'd never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: "Yup. That's who I thought it was."

Tax dollars paying the THOUGHT POLICE !
Beer Baron
AG
The SO did that on his way to school once. Coors Lights and Diet Cokes look just alike when you're half asleep. He figured what the hell and drank it in the car. He was attending Texas State though so he fit right in when he showed up to his 8:00 class.
HBCanine08
AG
A lot of knee jerk reactions happen nowadays because of zero tolerance policies
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
]They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he'd never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: "Yup. That's who I thought it was."

Tax dollars paying the THOUGHT POLICE !
Whoa, we got a George Orwell here, everyone.
Geralt of Rivia
S

Hannah McKay
AG

quote:
"He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation."

I'm confused about what broader explanation could be given other than "well I'm a huge science/electronics geek and I thought making a clock would make me cool with the ladies"
riverrataggie
AG
quote:

quote:

I'm confused about what broader explanation could be given other than "well I'm a huge science/electronics geek and I thought making a clock would make me cool with the ladies"

Well maybe the cops only use their phones now and don't have watches. So they don't remember what a clock looks like.
histag10
AG
quote:

quote:

77 ladies?? /Irving cops
Beer Baron
AG
Wait a minute, if he's 14 that means he was born in 2001. You know what also happened in 2001? 9/11! I think there might be something to this, guys. /Politics Board
Swarely
quote:
President Obama @POTUS
Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great.

T Durden
AG
What did he build it for? To tell time mother grabbers!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.