Tell me about Keurig machines...

8,731 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by emando2000
DCC99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 on the French press (although I think ours was closer to $40). Mom gave us a Keurig for Christmas, and it's convenient when I'm rushing out the door. But it's not quite hot enough, and the French press tastes SOOO much better.
airboatag
French Press FTW!

Sure you do not waste coffee with a K-cup but you generate a lot more garbage with all those stupid plastic cups.
bmc13
AG
quote:
The one we have here at work just **** the bed in less than a year and a half

did you get the commercial edition? we pitched in and got one at my old office and it lasted 4 years and is still going as far as i know. used a bunch, too. its duty cycle was rated around 10 times that of the home ones.

[This message has been edited by bmc13 (edited 1/22/2014 2:18p).]
bmc13
AG
and yes, french or aero press > > > > > > > > keurig > > > > > > standard food services office coffee
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
I like my aeropress but I've also been wanting a good pourover for a while, maybe a chemex
bmc13
AG
pourover

all kinds of issues with under AND over extraction.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
Idk man, I know people that swear by the good ones
95_Aggie
AG
lol ... way too much trouble for coffee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKr2EMkm48
bmc13
AG
quote:
I know people that swear by the good ones

that's because they're used to drinking drip and it mostly will be better than that. some people also claim to like the astringency that over-extraction brings.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
I've seen people do comparisons of AP, FP, drip, and pourover and still say they like it

Idk personally, never tried one
bmc13
AG
I thought it sounded interesting and did a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that it's not much more than a better form of drip. so I'm sticking to my aeropress for regular coffee needs.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
We can agree on that decision
TheMasterplan
Drip brewed coffee sucks balls. Give me a latte or flat white over that nasty dirt.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I have the keurig vue. It is awesome, especially now that they finally have a decent refillable cup and a k cup adapter. I also have a french press that is great, and an espresso machine somewhere that is awesome but requires too much maintenance.
GigEmBevo
My Mom has one. It was pretty awesome. Everyone could have whatever kind of beverage they wanted. The cups were kinda pricy though.

I have this one. It grinds the coffee beans and then makes it. I love it. I don't have to have a grinder and a coffee maker. The only downside is that it is pretty loud. I use it as an alarm clock

OXDL45
AG
I've had mine for about 6 months and love it for the variety of coffee everyone can have without having to make a whole other pot.

No issues at all with mine sice I bought it. I've only used bottled water in it and rinse it out about every two weeks.

I have the Platinum Brewer and it was worth the money.
Scimitar
AG
Lol at idiots that spend $100+ on a machine that makes instant coffee
PrincessButtercup
AG
I liked my Keurig. I recently gave it away, but it was nice to make a quick cup. It definitely wasn't hot enough, though. I'm not a coffee snob, and I don't drink much at all though, so it was okay for me. If you're super particular, you might want something more fancy.
Goodfield Nohit
More over rated than a Slap Chop.
Ogre09
AG
I love mine.

Fast
Brews 1 cup at a time
Allows for better diversity (10 options instead of 1-3)
No filters
Easy cleanup

It does cost more, but at 50-60 cents/cup (buy on Amazon in bulk), it's not breaking the bank.
bmc13
AG
slap-chop
Corps_Ag12
AG
It's great but I never use my Keurig.

I make coffee every morning at the jobsite (perk of being there first) with a ****ty mr coffee machine and folgers coffee that the food truck people deliver every few weeks.

But I'm not a coffee snob so my opinion is probably a mute point.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Mute point
saber69
AG
I am guessing that my percolator (sp?)is too ancient for y'all?
NewArmy69
AG
We enjoy the one we have!
Slicer97
AG
quote:

yep

I use a french press and from the time I start heating the water, it takes a little less than 15 min before I'm drinking coffee. If you don't have 15 min to make a decent cup of coffee, you need to reexamine your morning schedule. Life's too short to drink crappy coffee, folks.
Slicer97
AG
quote:

yep

I use a french press and from the time I start heating the water, it takes a little less than 15 min before I'm drinking coffee. If you don't have 15 min to make a decent cup of coffee, you need to reexamine your morning schedule. Life's too short to drink crappy coffee, folks.
Ogre09
AG
1 min for Keurig

WhoTF has 15 minutes to make coffee?
BigPete259
The French, British and gays
OXDL45
AG
quote:
The French, British and gays
wood2007
I have a Chemex. It's good, but I need to get something to pour it in to keep it hot once it's done. Even the lowest setting on the stove will burn it when I try to keep it warm. It is definitely a little better than the French Press, but more work. I only use it on the weekends.

I just bought the gf a Presto Stainless Coffee Perk for her birthday. It won't come in til next week. Looking forward to seeing what that does.
AggieJason
AG
They don't make the most outstanding tasting coffee, but it'll do if you're one of those "gotta have my caffeine fix in the morning" people.

I've heard stories that they break easily, but I would imagine those that break are in high-volume places and don't get the TLC they deserve (filters, purified water, monthly cleanings). Follow the recommended care instructions and you'll be fine.

The K-Cups you buy in the store come out to about $1 per cup, but you're paying for the convenience and the comfort of having a fresh cup. It's worth it to me.

You can get refillable K-Cups so you can put in your own grind. These are a cheaper alternative, but tend to be a PITA. Also, because the filter doesn't have the same narrow opening as a punctured K-Cup, the coffee doesn't taste as strong. You can Google strategies on how to fix that, though.

All in all, I think they're worth the investment if your office is paying for it, or if it's for personal use, you get one of the cheaper models.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
1 min for Keurig

WhoTF has 15 minutes to make coffee?

Debatable whether "coffee" that takes one minute to make is in fact coffee. All you have to do is boil water while you take a dump, pour said berling water over the coffee grounds, wait three minutes while getting dressed, then press, and done.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Debatable whether "coffee" that takes one minute to make is in fact coffee. All you have to do is boil water while you take a dump, pour said boiling water over the coffee grounds, wait three minutes while getting dressed, then press, and done.

This. It's really not that hard.
Out in Left Field
AG
If I drank coffee, the Aeropress looks the coolest to use. I would definitely get one of those.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.