Mens Tennis 2023

33,539 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Ag4eva95
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Preseason Fall Rankings....Noah #19....Trey #50....Raphael #72
Quail
But look at that schedule!!! Will know a bunch when they play at Stanford in the spring. Coach Denton is not afraid to play anyone!!
Ag4eva95
Not too bad! I think Guido will sneak in there at some point. Could be a year with a run to the Elite 8 if we're lucky
Quail
UT-USC-Georgia all played last weekend. Georgia appears to be all upper class. Most were 5th year seniors and UT has several. Georgia and UT are going to be very tough this year with an older roster.
Denton is not afraid to play anyone!
Ag4eva95
I got to watch the doubles matches this morning and I have to say, not extremely impressed. Lost to UTSA and Baylor. TU and Baylor don't even have their best players playing this tournament. I'm a little worried for the season. After watching the last few days, Sweet 16 seems to be the ceiling for this team.

Bright spot… Pierce Rollins seems to be healthy and playing confidently. Fairly sure he will be in the lineup come spring

What are y'all's thoughts on the upcoming season?
Gap
AG
Sounds like a good Saturday for us.

Quote:

The Texas A&M men's tennis team qualified three to the main draw singles quarterfinals and two teams to the main draw doubles quarterfinals Saturday at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Once again, doubles play started the day as the Aggies' five doubles teams were on show again, with three pairings in the main draw and two in the consolation draw.

No. 25 Noah Schachter and Trey Hilderbrand handled their business, 8-3, advancing to the quarterfinals. The highlight of the morning came from pairing Stefan Storch and Matthis Ross as they defeated SMU's No. 22 ranked team of Pranav Kumar and Adam Neff, 8-5, to also advance to the quarterfinals.

In the consolation bracket, both Aggie pairings of Mathis Bondaz and Luke Casper, and JC Roddick and Kenner Taylor advanced to the quarterfinals.

Through two rounds of singles play all 11 Aggies took the court, with nine in the main draw and two in the consolation bracket.

The round of 32 main draw saw seven Aggies win their matches advancing to the round of 16. Getting A&M started in the next round was Pierce Rollins, who defeated Rice's Trinity Grear, 6-2, 6-3. Within this round was some Maroon versus White action as Schachter defeated Roddick, and Taylor beat Ross as three Aggies progressed to the quarterfinals.

In the consolation bracket, Bondaz defeated Rice's Wes Barnett, 6-2, 6-2, while Casper won a close battle with UT Arlington's Anton Shepp, 2-6, 7-6, 10-8 (tiebreaker) to advance into the round of 16.

"Another solid day, we played some tough matches and responded well" said head coach Steve Denton, adding "We have 3 of the 8 remaining singles players, and a couple of doubles teams. Another exciting test for our team tomorrow.".
https://12thman.com/news/2022/10/15/mens-tennis-aggies-continue-hot-start-at-ita-texas-regional.aspx
Ag4eva95
Look at the competition, it isn't anything to brag about. On a national scale, didn't really move the needle.
Ag4eva95
Pierce makes it to the finals of the Texas ITA regional. He's having a really good week. Expect him to be ranked come the spring
Chapa96
AG
cbmik95 said:

Pierce makes it to the finals of the Texas ITA regional. He's having a really good week. Expect him to be ranked come the spring

Qualifies him for the National tourney in San Diego. I'm seriously thinking about going...

Ag4eva95
I'm telling you, he's playing at a high level right now. Potential #1 for us. Since we don't have a true #1
Chapa96
AG
cbmik95 said:

I'm telling you, he's playing at a high level right now. Potential #1 for us. Since we don't have a true #1
Preseason Fall Rankings....Noah #19....Trey #50....Raphael #72.........and having Pierce ranked as well could have this team make a decent run.

So these 4 will make the lineup along with Guido, and Giulio I would think. But I was liking Luke on how he was playing and winning towards the end of the season.

Ag4eva95
I think there is potential!

Kind of thinking based off of fall results so far:

1. Pierce(this is a total shot in the dark)
2. Noah
3. Trey
4 Raphael
5. Guido
6. JC Roddick/Casper, Perego

This is one of the deepest teams we've had. The bottom of the lineup gets messy. I've heard Roddick is extremely talented, but unmotivated. I question if he makes the lineup
Quail
Well, the schedule is lots easier now so the win/loss should be pretty good. SEC is going to be war again and Georgia may be best of all.
This is solid line up but not sure if a top 12 team or note. By ITA weekend and Ohio State/Texas matchups, will be a great indication where they stand. They do not need and injuries.
bigfoot10s
AG
Haven't seen anyone signed today on National Signing Day, but I know of one of the kids who is signing. I had the honor of coaching him for 3 years. Kid is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. Huge upside that I think we will see soon once he is there.

I will post when he actually signs today
taylorswift13
Ag4eva95
Who is it? Brayden?
bigfoot10s
AG
No. Doubt he's on any radars.
Ag4eva95
Oh nice, I'm excited! Is he an international player?
bigfoot10s
AG
Nope, San Antonio kid

I saw they announced Brayden, he should be coming.
bigfoot10s
AG
Looks like they're announcing one a day, so his should be announced tomorrow.

You won't find anyone who plays harder every ball than this kid. He is gonna be a favorite for a lot of us!
Chapa96
AG
Any of these blue chippers? Not that it matters.
Ag4eva95
The two that signed are, might contribute from day 1. The other one referenced I have no idea about. Curious to see who it is
bigfoot10s
AG

There it is! Lathan has already beaten Grant Lothringer twice, so to say he has potential is an understatement. Bit of a late bloomer, grew over a foot in about a year and a half. Big serve, great all around court player. Not scared of anyone. He will compete with the best of them.

Was compared to a recent all American Aggie who played davis cup this year by the coaching staff. That should tell you something!

Welcome to Aggieland Lathan!
Chapa96
AG
bigfoot10s said:

There it is! Lathan has already beaten Grant Lothringer twice, so to say he has potential is an understatement. But of a late bloomer, grew over a foot in about a year and a half. Big serve, great all around court player. Not scared of anyone. He will compete with the best of them.

Was compared to a recent all American Aggie who played davis cup this year by the coaching staff. That should tell you something!

Welcome to Aggieland Lathan!

Wow! Now that is something! Exciting!
Ag4eva95
Is he on scholarship? Rankings make me tend to think this guy is more of a walk on or just depth. More of a redshirt project kind of player
DevinHester_GoBears1
Definitely a walk-on
bigfoot10s
AG
cbmik95 said:

Is he on scholarship? Rankings make me tend to think this guy is more of a walk on or just depth. More of a redshirt project kind of player

Most of them are on minimal scholarship really.

Could see it as a redshirt situation
DevinHester_GoBears1
Kenner Taylor was #30 in the US and is probably on a single digit percentage of scholarship, if any. Skrobarcek is 100+. I'm sure he's a great kid but let's be real here
Ag4eva95
Kind of where I was going. I'd be surprised if he ever plays a significant match other than against prairie view A&M
bigfoot10s
AG
cbmik95 said:

Kind of where I was going. I'd be surprised if he ever plays a significant match other than against prairie view A&M

I know what you're saying, and I respectfully hope you're incorrect. Time will tell
Ag4eva95
I will be very happy if I am also wrong!
billydean05
I know this is supposed to be 2023; however a quick shout out is due to former Aggie tennis great Austin Krajicek. He checked in to the top 10 in the ATP world doubles ranking this week coming in at #9.
Ag4eva95
Men have 4 ranked singles players and a ranked doubles team! Considering Noah isn't ranked, these are good numbers. Rollins ranked #44 after fall
Chapa96
AG
Great showing yesterday!

Opening day in Sherwood.

No. 92 JC Roddick defeated USC's Lodewijk Westrate

No. 88 Raphael Perot defeated UCLA's No. 83 Alexander Hoogmartens

Giulio Perego defeated UCLA's No. 89 Giacomo Revelli

Kenner Taylor defeated USC's Karl Lee

Luke Casper defeated UCLA's Timothy Lee

Noah Schachter defeated USC's No. 65 Bradley Frye
Ag4eva95
That's ****ing awesome results!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.