*****Official Dallas Stars 2022-2023 season thread*****

339,779 Views | 7844 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Legal Custodian
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Puck drops in two months!

Hopefully we can sign Robo and Otter, we're gonna have to come up with some cap space. Sturm was saying today we have roughly $10m in cap space right now. Not sure if that's enough to sign both.

Season predictions?
TheBiggerEvent
AG
Slow start
Roll the Bones
AG
Juan!
Traceriebesehl
HockeyAg07
AG
Stanley damn cup.
Danny Vermin
I'm excited about Deboer letting the offense loose. A nice mix of Ruffs offense and Typical Stars defense should make for a contender. Hopefully Seguin has been reading how he is the most overpriced player in the league and is really motivated this season.
AgBQ-00
AG
Same on defense better on offense. Think we will be in the playoffs this year and not just sneaking in.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
$10M should be enough to sign both, unless we wait for those two to have another season like last year. If they each match last year's output $10M won't be enough for both.
AgBQ-00
AG
Hockey Guy Preview. Basically who knows!!??

TV Casualty
AG
Stankoven has been tearing it up for Canada in the World Junior championship. Just dropped the puck on the gold medal game.
Legal Custodian
AG
28 days until training camp opens up and still no contract updates from Otter or Robo. I'm starting to get pretty concerned.
Legal Custodian
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Otter signed for 3 years / $4M AAV. Go lock up Robertson now.
FWAppraiser
AG
Nice bridge deal for both parties. I like it.
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, I absolutely figured he would be wanting a bigger deal, but that's a great contract!
Legal Custodian
AG
$7mil in cap space to sign Robo
Legal Custodian
AG
Most likely we'll have $20mil in cap space for next off season. But we'll only have 5 forwards under contract. Roope is a RFA after this season, and he'll probably want $7+ per depending on how he does this season. That'll leave $13mil to sign probably 7 guys. We'll have to think 3 guys will come from our minor league system and take up what? $800,000 per? So that'll leave roughly $10mil to sign 4 forwards. So hopefully enough to make one decent signing ($5mil or so, possibly resigning Pavelski?) and the rest used to fill out the roster.

Is that how y'all see it?

https://puckpedia.com/team/dallas-stars#breakdown

And that's barring any type of trade that might open up more cap space.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Most likely we'll have $20mil in cap space for next off season. But we'll only have 5 forwards under contract. Roope is a RFA after this season, and he'll probably want $7+ per depending on how he does this season. That'll leave $13mil to sign probably 7 guys. We'll have to think 3 guys will come from our minor league system and take up what? $800,000 per? So that'll leave roughly $10mil to sign 4 forwards. So hopefully enough to make one decent signing ($5mil or so, possibly resigning Pavelski?) and the rest used to fill out the roster.

Is that how y'all see it?

https://puckpedia.com/team/dallas-stars#breakdown

And that's barring any type of trade that might open up more cap space.
I'm thinking Hintz and Peterson are "locks" to re-sign. I would imagine Johnston, Bourque, and Stankoven are all expected to be significant contributors in 2023 - 2024.

So I'm seeing Seguin, Benn, Marchment, Faksa, Hintz, Robertson, Peterson, Johnston, Bourque, and Stankoven. That leaves two spots to fill. I'm seeing $28M in cap space for next year. So if we assume Robertson gets $6M, that leaves $22M. If we assume Peterson, Johnston, Bourque, and Stankoven are each at $1.5M (double league minimum, and probably too high) and Hintz get $7M, that leaves about $9M for two spots. I'm far from a cap expert so this could be totally offbase.

I'd be happy bringing Glendening back if he has a year like the last one, but he's a UFA, so that might be tough. Gurianov and Kiviranta have to show significantly more than they did last year if I'm going to want them back.
TV Casualty
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Wow, I absolutely figured he would be wanting a bigger deal, but that's a great contract!

The comps for Otter are kind of difficult since he hasn't actually played that much. $4 million AAV on a bridge deal is on the upper end and isn't a discount. Really this was about as good as the Stars could do since they couldn't afford to sign him to a longer term deal like Otter wanted.

There is still some risk with him. Goalies can be up and down. Good to see him on a bridge deal to see if he can live up to his playoff performance.

Robertson is going to want $7.5 to $8 million. Nill doesn't really ever get a discount. I like Robertson, but I'm a bit worried that he maybe getting a contract at the perfect time. Not sure if he can sustain last year's numbers.
ProudAg16
AG
Flights are booked for the Jan 10-12 NY swing! Pumped to go see the new UBS arena and a road game at The Garden.

Ready to get this season going!
Dobie Ag
I love NHL hockey, but have never attended an NHL game (only the old Houston Aeros of the AHL). My wife and I will be up in Dallas on January 14th and want to go to the Stars game against Calgary. What is best way to get tickets? Via Ticketmaster on the Stars website? Secondary market website? Day of the game at the ticket office?

Thanks
Legal Custodian
AG
Dobie Ag said:

I love NHL hockey, but have never attended an NHL game (only the old Houston Aeros of the AHL). My wife and I will be up in Dallas on January 14th and want to go to the Stars game against Calgary. What is best way to get tickets? Via Ticketmaster on the Stars website? Secondary market website? Day of the game at the ticket office?

Thanks
Ticketmaster will be your best bet. Just keep looking every so often leading up to the game and depending on how the team does the prices could plummet but in my experience you won't see them go up exponentially if we're having a great year.

I was able to get tickets last year for $80 per about 9 rows up from the glass. You can find some good deals for sure. If you're just looking to get in the door so to speak, I would also look at Ticketmaster for those unless you're wanting to go to a good matchup. Don't think Calgary would be that good this year so you should be just fine finding tickets.
ProudAg16
AG
I second what Legal said. Ticketmaster is your best bet and every so often you can find a pair of tickets dip lower than others.
Weekend games will be more expensive, but if you've never been to a game before, I would definitely splurge and get good lower bowl seats. The atmosphere is infinitely better!
Kashchei
AG

Still not a Nil fan, but I will give him one more year if he's able to sign Robo in the next few weeks. If not, break out the torches and pitchforks.
Legal Custodian
AG
https://www.nhl.com/video/live-dal-vs-tor/t-277350912/c-40472703?fbclid=IwAR2GtOSkY8u_YbMvEFutnL03ACBtl9bCK5BH1bivTkhPYXi8hY7PkPSzI2c

If you're jonesing for some hockey, we're playing Toronto right now in a prospect tournament. We're playing our top 3 prospects. Winning 2-1 currently in the second
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
ProudAg16 said:

I second what Legal said. Ticketmaster is your best bet and every so often you can find a pair of tickets dip lower than others.
Weekend games will be more expensive, but if you've never been to a game before, I would definitely splurge and get good lower bowl seats. The atmosphere is infinitely better!

Agreed, we used ticketmaster and then were contacted personally by a Stars sales rep. We didn't fall for a sales pitch, but I have to say she was so nice and helped us with other gameday tips that we would be happy to call back if we felt compelled to buy a package of tix. Just wanted to say a nice word about their staff. We got seats 9 or so rows back and it was awesome for our first stars experience.
Legal Custodian
AG
We just traded for Nils Lundkvist. Right handed Defenseman. 22yrs old. Picked in 1st round of 2018 draft by the Rangers. He just demanded a trade and said he wasn't going to report to training camp with NY.

Still breaking. No idea who we gave up

FWAppraiser
AG
Sounds like a (protected) 1st round pick in next years draft and possibly a 4th. That's steep.
Now how we have cap room for that and a new deal for Robertson, I have no idea. I'm assuming another move or two are coming to clear space.
Kashchei
AG
If he is going to be a good partner for Miro and not another boat anchor I'll take it.
Legal Custodian
AG
After looking at twitter for an hour, a lot of media types are saying they can't believe NYR got a first rounder for him and are praising their GM. I can't tell if that's legit or if that's the national media praising an O6 team.

I agree though, it does seem steep but he's also a 22 year old top 4 defenseman.
twilly
AG
FWAppraiser
AG
Legal Custodian said:

After looking at twitter for an hour, a lot of media types are saying they can't believe NYR got a first rounder for him and are praising their GM. I can't tell if that's legit or if that's the national media praising an O6 team.

I agree though, it does seem steep but he's also a 22 year old top 4 defenseman.

The rection isn't media love because they're NY. The guy isn't a top 4 defensemen...yet. He was going to have trouble even cracking their top 6. Part of it had to do with NY being stacked on the right side though.

He requested a trade (another reason getting a 1st is crazy). Perhaps he just needs a change of scenery and a fresh start, but this is quite the gamble for Nil, considering the cost. He has the potential to be really good, but he has yet to live up to that yet. His film from playing in Sweden is pretty phenomenal.

The good thing is that the 1st is conditional, and this next years draft is very deep. If we're not a top 10 pick, we're likely to still get similar value in the 2nd. This also fills a big need, so I'm hopeful it pays off.

Edit to say: He's not a top 4 TALENT yet. You're right though, I think he slots in as a top 4 for Dallas though. That shows what a void Klinger left, but maybe this kid has something that can be even better. We'll see soon enough.
twilly
AG
I know I was interested, think some of you guys might be too....

Nils Lundkvist's salary is $925,000 and his cap hit is $925,000 for the 2022-23 season.

Legal Custodian
AG
FWAppraiser said:

Legal Custodian said:

The rection isn't media love because they're NY. The guy isn't a top 4 defensemen...yet. He was going to have trouble even cracking their top 6. Part of it had to do with NY being stacked on the right side though.

He requested a trade (another reason getting a 1st is crazy). Perhaps he just needs a change of scenery and a fresh start, but this is quite the gamble for Nil, considering the cost. He has the potential to be really good, but he has yet to live up to that yet. His film from playing in Sweden is pretty phenomenal.

The good thing is that the 1st is conditional, and this next years draft is very deep. If we're not a top 10 pick, we're likely to still get similar value in the 2nd. This also fills a big need, so I'm hopeful it pays off.

Edit to say: He's not a top 4 TALENT yet. You're right though, I think he slots in as a top 4 for Dallas though. That shows what a void Klinger left, but maybe this kid has something that can be even better. We'll see soon enough.

I don't know much about him, but I'm assuming since he's 22 and not that big he's a little bit of a skater? I'm always down for a young guy who was a top prospect.
FWAppraiser
AG
Here's a pretty good breakdown of his game

Last Page
Page 1 of 225

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.