**2020 NASCAR Cup Series**

27,560 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TRM
Hershey97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Always wanted to start one of these and see if it gained any popularity. We've had F1 and IndyCar so figured let's give NASCAR a shot. Can be a place to talk anything NASCAR related, not just the cup series.

Got the duels to set the lineup for the Daytona 500 tonight at 6 and 7:45pm. The clash was interesting to say the least, should be a fun weekend coming up.

Lots of stories to follow this year:

• Final year of the Gen 6 car
  • can Chevy solve their lack of success issues from last year
  • intriguing rookie of the year battle between Bell, Custer, and Reddick
  • 7 time champion Jimmie Johnson's final full time year
  • many drivers in contract years (Keselowski, Bowman, Almirola, Blaney, Bowyer, Jones)

Gonna be a fun year and hope to analyze it with some fellow Aggies!
tk for tu juan
I need to find a new driver to hate since Kyle Busch has mellowed some after having a kid.
Hershey97
Good races last night, drivers were much more aggressive than expected. Logano and Byron won each duel and will lineup 3rd and 4th. Sunday should be a great race, the bigger spoiler seems to allow the drivers to make huge runs and have great control over their cars.

If I had to bet, I'd take a Ford on Sunday, either Logano or Harvick. That camp seems to be able to work together the best and it'll be tough for the Chevys/Toyotas to break them up. However, we've seen how unpredictable Daytona can be!
Hershey97
tk for tu juan said:

I need to find a new driver to hate since Kyle Busch has mellowed some after having a kid.
I still don't like Kyle Busch. He plays the role of villain well and is a fun driver to dislike. Nothing but respect for how he can wheel a race car though.

Besides him, there's not one driver I really hate. Being a Chase Elliott fan, I hated Denny Hamlin after Martinsville 2017. But I got to meet Hamlin a few months ago and he was really nice. Not a big fan of Keselowski.
cap-n-jack
This truck race is kinda fun.
cap-n-jack
Fox is making it dang near impossible to follow this race.
cap-n-jack
It's a crashfest.
Cen-Tex
AG
If you tune in to see wrecks. You got your share the last 30 laps.
Kashchei
AG
I try to get into this race every year, and every year it's rain, and wrecks, and delays
Kashchei
AG
That was a pretty exciting ending though...
cap-n-jack
Hard not to like Joe Gibbs.
TRM
AG
That didn't look good for Newman.
gibberish
AG
texaggierm said:

That didn't look good for Newman.

Damn hope he's ok. I remember watching Dale Sr take his last lap and don't want to see another similar event.
TresPuertas
AG
I think I'm ok with Hamlin at the end. He was just trying to win, but taking his burnout laps while Newman is still hanging upside down isn't a good look. This won't be well received
tk for tu juan
Yeah, getting hit in the drivers door area is bad enough, taking the hit right at the window netting and A-pillar area is horrible after going head first into the wall
TRM
AG
I don't think Hamlin knew how bad it was. I wish someone would have gone on the radio and told him.
TRM
AG
That was the 1st NASCAR race I remember watching on TV.
TresPuertas
AG
texaggierm said:

I don't think Hamlin knew how bad it was. I wish someone would have gone on the radio and told him.

I agree. And Hamlin is a good guy. But he probably is going to have to defend himself regardless of intentions. Particularly because it's not looking great for Newman
TresPuertas
AG
Just read that Newman wasn't responding to radio Calls from His crew and that they surrounded the car with black screens so they wouldn't be seen taking him out.

Praying that everything is ok
gibberish
AG
Unfortunately we probably won't know if he'll pull through for hours now. That second hit when he was upside down was definitely the most dangerous since it is not an angle the cars are designed to take an impact from.

Really hope he pulls through, Ryan Blaney didn't intend to have that happen and he's going to receive a lot of grief for his part of the accident (mostly unwarranted too). I still can not believe the level of vitriol Sterling Marlin received in 2001 for his part in the Dale Sr accident.

cap-n-jack
Where are you seeing this?
TresPuertas
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nascar/news/ryan-newman-crash-daytona-500/1ud6nw2xnn7eh1q2tk0niv161g
lunchbox
cap-n-jack said:

gibberish
AG
cap-n-jack said:

PLUM LOCO
AG
This does not look good.
average_joker
AG
This is what the media/ league reaction was when Danny Wheldon took his last lap driving Indy cars.
Very scary.
Pahdz
I watched Dale die as a college junior. Watched the race with our old pastor in Giddings, drove back to TLU after the race only to find out he'd passed. My pastor cheered when he crashed (wasn't a Dale fan obviously) and to this day he still feels horrible about it.

Watching this tonight had that similar feeling.
tk for tu juan
cap-n-jack
God Twitter is the deep end of the gene pool next to the drain. Hoping for the best.
TresPuertas
AG
cap-n-jack said:

God Twitter is the deep end of the gene pool next to the drain. Hoping for the best.

Aside from speculation, which we are all doing currently, I've seen nothing but genuine concern and prayers for him.

I hope you haven't found the trolls. I'd guess there are Probably some salty left wingers who are tweeting about this right now but I don't want to see them
cap-n-jack
Genuine concern? Yep, some. Morbid speculation? Lots.
Anyway, hoping for the best. Not a huge NASCAR guy but love motorsports. Nobody wants to see something like this.
FriscoKid
AG
Pahdz said:

I watched Dale die as a college junior. Watched the race with our old pastor in Giddings, drove back to TLU after the race only to find out he'd passed. My pastor cheered when he crashed (wasn't a Dale fan obviously) and to this day he still feels horrible about it.

Watching this tonight had that similar feeling.

Yep
J.P. 03
AG
This is at least coming from a verified check mark account. No clue where she got her info though:

Followed shortly by:
lunchbox
Remember when ESPNEWS used to show live coverage during the evenings...this is the type of story you would expect to find them covering live. Right now they are showing a replay of Around the Horn.
lunchbox
KaneIsAble said:

Who gives a **** your not satisfied with their coverage. Selfish much?
Seflish...sure thing. Like everyone else, I'd like an update.

NASCAR has a live feed going of a podium with press milling about...

https://www.nascar.com/presspass

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.