2019 Women's Tennis

21,058 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mullokmotx
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't know Vandy was #4. We won the doubles point. 4 of the 14 completed sets went to tie breakers. Renee McBride won her 3rd set 7-5 to clinch the match.
mullokag
rugger74
AG
Good win for us. Vandy has won a couple of Ncaa titles the last few years and are a top notch program.
Signem
This Vandy match was one that looked like we might skunk a highly rated team but give the Vandy girls credit they fought as hard as they could and kept the match going. In my opinion Makarova should have been the deciding point. Tanya was ahead 1 set to 0, ahead in the second set 5-4 and the score was deuce, Tanya hit a ball clearly in, in the back right corner of the court - clearly in. Mark was standing right there by the ref and when the ref agreed with the Vandy player the ball was out you could just see the wind go out of Tanya's sails. She just couldn't seem to get the mojo going again. By the time the Vandy player had won the second set, Tanya's energy looked like she was spent. She had the match won - literally, and had it snatched from her in a split second. Dorothy played a whale of match even though she didn't finish, we were up 3-0 before she even finished her first set. By she and Renee playing side by side I have to believe that that gave Renee some additional incentive to play her "brick wall" type of play. But for all the hoopla about singles, make no mistake, doubles was the major key to this victory. All three lines looked sharp, instinctive, and all three communicated very well, and covered each other impressively. Against a highly ranked team nationally I don't know if allowed to play out that the odds were we would have swept the doubles point. Picked to finish #9, and having played two of the biggest gorillas in the room 9th could become 4th or 3rd. Get Florida and South Carolina in here in a couple of weeks things may be very interesting finishing out the year. Bottom line, it appears that Mark, Jordan, and Kelly are doing one hellava job preparing these ladies physically, mentally, and emotionally to fight through this brutal schedule. Reading the Vandy site's rendition of the match they are saying their #4 player who lost the match equalled the 3rd set 5-5, hog wash!!! Renee was behind 5-4 and reeled off 3 straight games. I guess that's their version of trying to save face.
bigfoot10s
AG
I'm fighting the urge to correct the names in your post...
Signem
To Bigfoot, please do. Hopefully my skin isn't that thin.
Pac12Aggie
Curious which names he had wrong, post looked fine to me
bigfoot10s
AG
IdahoAggieFan said:

Tatiana
Dorthea
Pac12Aggie
bigfoot10s said:

IdahoAggieFan said:

Tatiana
Dorthea

Tanya and Dorothy are the nicknames they are referred to by friends/fans. Signem knows this because he is one of the biggest supporters of Aggie women's tennis.
SlickRick
Hey Littlefoot! For somebody who acts like they know it all, once again you prove that you do not know much about anything.
rugger74
AG
Signem, what are the odds all the young women from outside the US stay all four years. I can see this group advancing far in an NCAA tourney if they remain together.
bigfoot10s
AG
I don't see any reason they wouldn't stick together all four years. Mark was telling my dad yesterday that once they'll believe in themselves completely, the sky is the limit
bigfoot10s
AG
Pac12Aggie said:

bigfoot10s said:

IdahoAggieFan said:

Tatiana
Dorthea

Tanya and Dorothy are the nicknames they are referred to by friends/fans. Signem knows this because he is one of the biggest supporters of Aggie women's tennis.

My apologies
bigfoot10s
AG
SlickRick said:

Hey Littlefoot! For somebody who acts like they know it all, once again you prove that you do not know much about anything.

Thanks for the feedback as always
agwarrior
AG
Ladies just beat Kentucky. Another solid win!!
bigfoot10s
AG
Aggies defeat #21 Kentucky 4-1

Edit: dang, beat me to it! Two great wins in two days
Chapa96
AG
This team!!!!! Great results!
Raven
S
Great job !!!
Signem
To Bigfoot who probably never was in the Corps, but the young ladies you refer to "dropped handles" with me last year. It is by their bidding that I can call them Tanya and Dorthy for expediency. But none the less thank you for keeping the record straight.
Signem
Rugger, from my experience being around the ladies they appear to be a very cohesive group. More so with the freshmen than the sophomores even. My fear is Riley and Dorthy finding greener pastures as well as possibly Jessica Anzo. Don't ask me why I say Jessica I just have that feeling and I hope I'm dead wrong. But both Riley and Dorthy have stellar won/lose standings but are at the bottom of the lineup. By Mark having them at 5 and 6 he has a strong chance of raking in 2 points a good percentage of the time much like in 2011 when Bobby had a really strong 1,2 3 lineup and 4, 5, 6 fell short a large percentage of the time. Riley, I'm almost sure wants to try her hand at the pro circuit and being down at #5 predominately her competition level isn't as great. Thus, the 18 out of the last 19 matches completed are wins. She got behind the 8 ball this afternoon (after losing the first set she was down 4-1 in the second) but once she figured the UK gal out she strung together long series of points coming out with the second set win and taking control of the third. If Tatiana (for Bigfoot's benefit) had fallen short I'm pretty certain Riley would have pulled out the win. So as is typical with most of my posts let me suffice it to say, there is NEVER anything definite in the college game. I do know all the girls LOVE Mark and Jordan deeply, which keeps them happy on the court and practice but for those who want to challenge themselves we may lose some before their tenure is up. I also know they really LOVE playing before the 12th Man. So anytime you can get out to see a match please do so.
bigfoot10s
AG
Signem said:

To Bigfoot who probably never was in the Corps, but the young ladies you refer to "dropped handles" with me last year. It is by their bidding that I can call them Tanya and Dorthy for expediency. But none the less thank you for keeping the record straight.

As I am with a lot of people on this site, I'm curious if you and I have never crossed paths at the courts, or if you have ever cross paths with my father who is out there quite a bit and work some with the team in a certain capacity.
rugger74
AG
Thanks for the input, I thought some might turn pro. Maybe great team chemistry and ability to win titles can keep them together.
mullokmotx
AG
Especially happy for Tatiana today. She had a tough match Friday but was able to get the clincher today and be the center of the team hug on court 3.
mullokag
Signem
Bigfoot, if we haven't crossed paths, its only because you are the most unfriendly person on the planet. Which at A&M, I don't see that happening. So yes, I'd say we've definitely crossed paths before, and probably had some good in depth conversations as well about the ladies and tennis in general. My tenure on this site doesn't go back as far as yours but I have been following the program very closely for the last 15 years (time fly's when you're having fun) and yes, this team is special. Barring any serious injuries or wide spread illness having the SEC conference tournament AT A&M this year our opportunity is sitting right in our hand to have these girls win it all at the tournament.
bigfoot10s
AG
Signem said:

Bigfoot, if we haven't crossed paths, its only because you are the most unfriendly person on the planet. Which at A&M, I don't see that happening. So yes, I'd say we've definitely crossed paths before, and probably had some good in depth conversations as well about the ladies and tennis in general. My tenure on this site doesn't go back as far as yours but I have been following the program very closely for the last 15 years (time fly's when you're having fun) and yes, this team is special. Barring any serious injuries or wide spread illness having the SEC conference tournament AT A&M this year our opportunity is sitting right in our hand to have these girls win it all at the tournament.

After I read that twice, I realized that you weren't saying I'm unfriendly...I think!

Pretty sure I've got it figured out who you are. Did you get a soft warning yesterday (or Friday maybe) from a chair umpire during Riley's match? I know I've been warned a few times, once in Vegas of all places when the women happened to be playing UNLV and I heckled a player (in fun) a bit much. Bobby came and told me to cool off of they were going to toss me!

Yes, I agree that this team is special. If not this year, the next 2-3 will be a lot of fun. Gonna be a very cohesive group, more than they already seem. Mark has spoken highly of them all, and they have a lot of room to grow.
Chapa96
AG
Latest ITA rankings have them at #11! Huge jump!
Truvada_for_prep
Y'all heckle at a women's tennis match ? Lol
bigfoot10s
AG
Louis botha said:

Y'all heckle at a women's tennis match ? Lol
You ever been to a match at the old courts in Austin? The Hellraisers were ruthless. And terribly uneducated about tennis
bigfoot10s
AG
Women sweep Missouri on the road today
Raven
S
Another nice win for the ladies! On to Arkansas.
Chapa96
AG
Ags win a close one against Arky. 4-3!
Raven
S
Excellent!!!
bigfoot10s
AG
Won the dubs, then down 2-1 and Riley ties it up. Down 3-2 and Renee and Tatiana put us on top for good!
Gap
AG
We are now 6-2 in the SEC. Both matches are at home this coming week;

3/29 (Fri) - #6 South Carolina
3/31 (Sun) - #31 Florida
Signem
If you readers don't mind, let me give you a bird's eye (literally) view of what happened this weekend in Mizzou and Arkansas. After a late LATE night arrival into Columbia on Wednesday there's a good practice on the outdoor courts at Mizzou. All I can say is, if A&M is going to keep pace with EVERY OTHER SEC SCHOOL athletically we are the ONLY school that does NOT have an indoor court. After what I saw at Mizzou, the 12th Man's chump change ought to be able to build something 10X better than what they have and there's is only 5 or 6 years old. I want to see LSU facility to see how much better there's is because it HAS to be. Good practice Thursday and things find a rhythm. Friday having to wait all day to play is a bore for a traveling fan but 5PM finally rolls around and let me tell you 4-0 may have been the score but that's only because of the battling attitude these ladies have adopted. We were behind on all 3 doubles courts 2-1, 4-2, and 3-1 when Tanya and Jayci cranked it about 10 notches and shut down their #1 doubles, and Riley and Lucia looked like the Wrecking Crew from years past and just shut the #3 down. So now we're up 1-0 and singles start. I don't know if it's because the ladies knew that Mizzou had not won a SEC match or what but I've seen fluffier pancakes than the way we looked at the beginning of singles. Now even to a layman I believe anybody could see that Mizzou was clearly outclassed. But when Renee was down 5-1 in the first set and set goes about ripping off 12 GAMES IN A ROW to clinch the match, and Katya was down 4-1 in the first set. I'm not sure but Dorthy may have been down 2-1 the first set but that was because each girl broke the other until Dorthy said, "ENOUGH". The way they came back was beyond awesome. They started returning shots all over the courts, running down EVERYTHING! Renee truly broke her opponent it was a marvel to see. Katya, once she figured out their #1 she just ran that tall gal all over the court. And Riley played a BIG role in the match by not giving in on her second set which would have theoretically would have given them some momentum. In my opinion, THIS match more so than Vanderbilt even personifies the character this team has inside them. Because they came back and never gave up ANYTHING, NOTHING!
So let's move on to Sunday and Arkansas. Inclement weather delayed the start but fortunately we just got in under the wire of the weather. No sooner than Tatiana clinched the match I felt the first drop of rain. My guess is Mark and Jordan probably had a heart to heart talk with the ladies on the way down from Columbia to Fayetteville. Something along the lines of nobody is going to roll over for you just because you're ranked #11. And true to form the ladies took WHATEVER was said to heart because the doubles point never looked seriously contested. Our #1 and #2 did their job in with precision, pin point accuracy, and strength. These same stellar characteristics carried forward to the first set of singles. Jayci and Renee were the only two who ran into a road block, and frankly Jayci's opponent was the only one who looked like she (the Arkansas girl) had the advantage. Jayci has had a run of bad luck here the last few matches and sometimes it looks like she presses a little too much to knock out a winner too soon. Riley had an opponent who reminded me of Bride of Frankenstein without the white streak in her hair. BIG gal who lumbered around the court almost like Karloff, but she was strong as an ox. After the first set she started getting some lucky hard returns that Riley couldn't catch up to so it was time for an adjustment and that's when Riley had the gal going back and forth and literally wore her out. Riley's opponent looked like a wrung out dish towel at the end of the match. Tatiana is the one who is interesting to watch play. She works so hard to make every shot perfect that when she just misses or flubs a shot it looks like she's crying, and the fraternal instinct just makes you yearn to reach out and put your arm around her shoulder and get her going again. But once she is zeroed in on her focus she is deadly. I don't know if I've ever seen her "slice and dice" as many of her shots as much as she did against Arkansas. She tried a few drop shots that looked like with just one more quarter of an ounce of energy would have had the ball over the net. But that's the perfectionist in her. When the momentum started to swing back towards Arkansas you could HEAR the difference in the courts. The Aggies became quiet and the Hogs got more rambunctious. When that happened the Arkansas girls, especially Katya's opponent started having the most remarkable shots. I mean shots that normally the female player would just acquiesce and move on to the next point, OH NO, they were running them down and putting placement on it like Serena Williams. The same thing happened Howard's first year in the NCAA's in Michigan where we had Michigan down 3-1 and they came back and beat us pulling off the same kind of shots. Fortunately, Renee came through against her countryman (almost, New Zealand was where her opponent was from) and Tatiana regathered herself and pulled it out.

After all this, a look ahead. These ladies have proven that they have the mental toughness to take control of an opponent. This Friday, with South Carolina coming to town if the 12th Man will just come out and support the team, these gals are primed and ready for war.
Raven
S
Thanks for the in depth report. I saw the LSU facility when the men played there last week. It is nice, but we can do much better, if we ever get our act together. The LSU facility was funded by the Tiger Club and individual donations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.