2019 Women's Tennis

20,978 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mullokmotx
Truvada_for_prep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Signem said:

If you readers don't mind, let me give you a bird's eye (literally) view of what happened this weekend in Mizzou and Arkansas. After a late LATE night arrival into Columbia on Wednesday there's a good practice on the outdoor courts at Mizzou. All I can say is, if A&M is going to keep pace with EVERY OTHER SEC SCHOOL athletically we are the ONLY school that does NOT have an indoor court. After what I saw at Mizzou, the 12th Man's chump change ought to be able to build something 10X better than what they have and there's is only 5 or 6 years old. I want to see LSU facility to see how much better there's is because it HAS to be. Good practice Thursday and things find a rhythm. Friday having to wait all day to play is a bore for a traveling fan but 5PM finally rolls around and let me tell you 4-0 may have been the score but that's only because of the battling attitude these ladies have adopted. We were behind on all 3 doubles courts 2-1, 4-2, and 3-1 when Tanya and Jayci cranked it about 10 notches and shut down their #1 doubles, and Riley and Lucia looked like the Wrecking Crew from years past and just shut the #3 down. So now we're up 1-0 and singles start. I don't know if it's because the ladies knew that Mizzou had not won a SEC match or what but I've seen fluffier pancakes than the way we looked at the beginning of singles. Now even to a layman I believe anybody could see that Mizzou was clearly outclassed. But when Renee was down 5-1 in the first set and set goes about ripping off 12 GAMES IN A ROW to clinch the match, and Katya was down 4-1 in the first set. I'm not sure but Dorthy may have been down 2-1 the first set but that was because each girl broke the other until Dorthy said, "ENOUGH". The way they came back was beyond awesome. They started returning shots all over the courts, running down EVERYTHING! Renee truly broke her opponent it was a marvel to see. Katya, once she figured out their #1 she just ran that tall gal all over the court. And Riley played a BIG role in the match by not giving in on her second set which would have theoretically would have given them some momentum. In my opinion, THIS match more so than Vanderbilt even personifies the character this team has inside them. Because they came back and never gave up ANYTHING, NOTHING!
So let's move on to Sunday and Arkansas. Inclement weather delayed the start but fortunately we just got in under the wire of the weather. No sooner than Tatiana clinched the match I felt the first drop of rain. My guess is Mark and Jordan probably had a heart to heart talk with the ladies on the way down from Columbia to Fayetteville. Something along the lines of nobody is going to roll over for you just because you're ranked #11. And true to form the ladies took WHATEVER was said to heart because the doubles point never looked seriously contested. Our #1 and #2 did their job in with precision, pin point accuracy, and strength. These same stellar characteristics carried forward to the first set of singles. Jayci and Renee were the only two who ran into a road block, and frankly Jayci's opponent was the only one who looked like she (the Arkansas girl) had the advantage. Jayci has had a run of bad luck here the last few matches and sometimes it looks like she presses a little too much to knock out a winner too soon. Riley had an opponent who reminded me of Bride of Frankenstein without the white streak in her hair. BIG gal who lumbered around the court almost like Karloff, but she was strong as an ox. After the first set she started getting some lucky hard returns that Riley couldn't catch up to so it was time for an adjustment and that's when Riley had the gal going back and forth and literally wore her out. Riley's opponent looked like a wrung out dish towel at the end of the match. Tatiana is the one who is interesting to watch play. She works so hard to make every shot perfect that when she just misses or flubs a shot it looks like she's crying, and the fraternal instinct just makes you yearn to reach out and put your arm around her shoulder and get her going again. But once she is zeroed in on her focus she is deadly. I don't know if I've ever seen her "slice and dice" as many of her shots as much as she did against Arkansas. She tried a few drop shots that looked like with just one more quarter of an ounce of energy would have had the ball over the net. But that's the perfectionist in her. When the momentum started to swing back towards Arkansas you could HEAR the difference in the courts. The Aggies became quiet and the Hogs got more rambunctious. When that happened the Arkansas girls, especially Katya's opponent started having the most remarkable shots. I mean shots that normally the female player would just acquiesce and move on to the next point, OH NO, they were running them down and putting placement on it like Serena Williams. The same thing happened Howard's first year in the NCAA's in Michigan where we had Michigan down 3-1 and they came back and beat us pulling off the same kind of shots. Fortunately, Renee came through against her countryman (almost, New Zealand was where her opponent was from) and Tatiana regathered herself and pulled it out.

After all this, a look ahead. These ladies have proven that they have the mental toughness to take control of an opponent. This Friday, with South Carolina coming to town if the 12th Man will just come out and support the team, these gals are primed and ready for war.

Ever heard of paragraphs? And I will say it again klienecke needs to go .
Signem
The answer to your insensitive worded question is yes. And if you would have had the common sense to notice, a new paragraph was started when Missouri's replay was completed and Arkansas's begun. The fact that I didn't separate them by a blank line is your missed observation. But since you can't pick that up, here you go.

Even though Bobby has been gone now for a number of years his imprint on this program is indelible and bears being remembered as a guidepost or milestone however you want to see it, and it SHOULD be seen.

I would hope that you show up Friday and Sunday and support the ladies in more positive ways than you just exemplified here.
Signem
HOORAY for Renee being named the Freshman of the Week!!! I have no idea what the other fish did around the conference this weekend but after her match in Missouri I told her what she did was nothing short of AMAZING! Being down 5-1 in the first set and reel off those 12 straight games was UN BE LIV ABLE! Then never saying die in a 3 set show down with a kid who played with a lot of spunk but just didn't have the goods that Renee did. YEP the conference office got that one right IMHO.
bigfoot10s
AG
Women fall to #4 South Carolina 4-0

Last home regular season match Sunday vs. Florida
Raven
S
I thought our girls fought hard. Really bad break on the doubles point. Need to bounce back Sunday.
Raven
S
Mark's ladies take onFlorida at noon today at the Mitchell Tennis Center. We had a good crowd Friday. Hoping for the same today!
bigfoot10s
AG
Women fall to Florida 4-2
Truvada_for_prep
bigfoot10s said:

Not good results for Kleinecke when is this guy gonna get the boot?
rugger74
AG
You do know we are playing top programs and the team is like five freshman and one sophomore. They play hard and will only get better.
bigfoot10s
AG
Louis botha said:

bigfoot10s said:

Eventually you'll stop with this narrative, right?
SA68AG
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Louis botha said:

bigfoot10s said:

Eventually you'll stop with this narrative, right?
Nah, he's the Slick Rick of women's tennis.
aggietennisfan
Youngest team in the nation with one of their best recruits out for the entire season due to injury and ranked 16 in the nation. Don't think he's getting the boot any time soon.
Raven
S
Well I will say Bobby was there pulling for the Aggies.
SlickRick
What a compliment!
bigfoot10s
AG
Women beat LSU on the road
Raven
S
Good job ladies!!!
Signem
I am surprised neither Mark nor the media arm of the 12th Man didn't see this as article worthy but ITA came out with their weekly rankings today and check this out, Katya in singles is #50 up from #54, and Jayci is #62 up from #66. But even more noteworthy is, in doubles, Tatiana and Jayci shot up to #28 from #50 in the nation. So since March 5, they've been ranked #31, March 19 they had a run of bad luck and dropped to #63, April 2, they are back to #50 and now one week later they are their best ranking so far at #28. That's not bad at all considering this tandum wasn't even RANKED as late as February 20. All things considered that's pretty dawg gone good for a bunch of fish and sophomores. Oh BTW the team maintained their team ranking at #16. Sort of hard to imagine ANY athletic director wanting to make a coaching change with those kinds of numbers. Last big test coming on the road this weekend in the Magnolia State before the SEC tournament next week, and already guaranteed a first round BYE.
hs10scoach
The Women improve to to 20-5 overall and 8-4 in SEC play with a 4-2 win at Mississippi State! Nice job ladies

mullokmotx
AG
We play MSU at 2 PM tomorrow in the SEC Tournament which we are hosting. Hope they have the concession window open.
mullokmotx
AG
Guess the courts are taking a while to dry off. Our match has been pushed back to 4 PM today.
Raven
S
Thanks for that update!
mullokmotx
AG
Beat MSU 4-3. Looked like we had this early when Jayci Goldsmith at #2 had a match point in set 2 up 5-2, but then the MSU player ran off 8 straight games before winning in 3 sets. Came down to Lucia Quiterio at #6 who lost the first set tie-breaker, won the second set tie-breaker and then the 3rd set 6-2.
Scheduled to play 4 seed UT at 2 PM Friday.
mullokmotx
AG
Great win today over 4 seed UT in really windy conditions. We won the #2 and #3 doubles within 10 seconds of each other. Seemed to have numerous match points that we were not able to convert. These 2 wins have to put us in the discussion for hosting the NCAA regionals.
Raven
S
Excellent.
Chapa96
AG
Great team win! Will take another great effort against Georgia today.
mullokmotx
AG
I thought we gave Georgia a battle. McBryde at #4 finished 2 sets before Goldsmith at #2 won her first set in a tie-breaker. Seemed to have a lot of double faults today and some of them were back to back giving up 2 points each time.
bigfoot10s
AG
Ladies fought hard today and gave Georgia a run for their money, even though it was 4-0. Georgia is a dang good team and not winning the doubles point hurt us more than ever. Looking forward to the Aggies in the NCAA tournament, they could do some damage with the right draw!
Chapa96
AG
Will be a different NCAA format this year. Hoping they make it to Orlando. I'll be there!
coloradoag69
AG
Could you give details on how the NCAA format changed?

I followed the Georgia match on my computer. It looked like we had an outside chance after the loss of the doubles point, but Georgia, to their credit, was able to get most of the critical points.

Good luck to the ladies in the NCAAs.
bigfoot10s
AG
coloradoag69 said:

Could you give details on how the NCAA format changed?

I followed the Georgia match on my computer. It looked like we had an outside chance after the loss of the doubles point, but Georgia, to their credit, was able to get most of the critical points.

Good luck to the ladies in the NCAAs.

First two rounds are the same. Round of 16 is at a "Super Regional" on a campus site. Quarters and on are in Orlando
mullokmotx
AG
I didn't realize Georgia was ranked #1 in the country until I read Richard Croome's story in the Bryan Eagle this morning. When we played them before we didn't win any sets in singles play and yesterday we won 4. And we took the #1 player and #62 ranked players to a 3rd set.
Took a look at how other teams ranked near us did this week. #18 Ohio State lost twice, we beat #17 UT, #16 Michigan did not play, #15 SoCal lost, and #14 Cal lost. We were #19 so it seems like we should be in the discussion for a top 16 seed. That would be great if we can host.
Signem

mullokmotx, the really impressive thing about Katya's 3 set battle with the #1 player in the country is that the Georgia girl did everything in her power to shrink the court and called balls out, and Katya fought through the distraction and won the first set. I tried to research how many sets that gal had lost this year (I'm figuring it can't be very many being #1, and being in the top 5 all year) and Georgia doesn't have it posted. This seemed sort of lame to me. But later she loses a 3 set match to the SC #1 player in the finals. Can someone tell me 1. Is there a time limit on how long a player can take to get a serve off? 2. If so, what starts the time? Is it when she sets her feet, or time between points, or what? This week/weekend there were a number of ladies (other teams) that would bounce the ball insistently, go through their ritual of the windup, and finally hit the ball. The #1 gal from Georgia would constantly toss the ball for the serve and catch it only to do it again, basically doubling the time it would take to serve, while Katya is crouched ready to play. The NCAA is so darned concerned about speeding up the game, I'd rather they let the players warm up before the match like before and cut out all this BS in delaying tactics.
bigtimeag1977
Non related to A&M, but I heard that both Baylor and TCU will be looking for coaches after this season. Anybody know?
RodgerDodger
I would think SMU as well
bigfoot10s
AG
Signem said:

mullokmotx, the really impressive thing about Katya's 3 set battle with the #1 player in the country is that the Georgia girl did everything in her power to shrink the court and called balls out, and Katya fought through the distraction and won the first set. I tried to research how many sets that gal had lost this year (I'm figuring it can't be very many being #1, and being in the top 5 all year) and Georgia doesn't have it posted. This seemed sort of lame to me. But later she loses a 3 set match to the SC #1 player in the finals. Can someone tell me 1. Is there a time limit on how long a player can take to get a serve off? 2. If so, what starts the time? Is it when she sets her feet, or time between points, or what? This week/weekend there were a number of ladies (other teams) that would bounce the ball insistently, go through their ritual of the windup, and finally hit the ball. The #1 gal from Georgia would constantly toss the ball for the serve and catch it only to do it again, basically doubling the time it would take to serve, while Katya is crouched ready to play. The NCAA is so darned concerned about speeding up the game, I'd rather they let the players warm up before the match like before and cut out all this BS in delaying tactics.
The players get 20 seconds between points, but it is usually somewhat at the official's discretion. Some officials will allow longer time due to heat, or if a longer point was played.

That being said, it should be 20 seconds between when the previous point ends and when they hit the serve, but when they begin their serve ritual could be considered the beginning of the serve.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.