*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

111,644 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Good, we didn't get roped in to cedi

Both players we are getting are on expirings. Essentially paying $8MM+ for a second rounder.
**** I read it wrong and I hate it so much.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Both players we are getting are on expirings. Essentially paying $8MM+ for a second rounder.

I mean unless we think we can flip Cedi? Otherwise this is a whiff.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Boston Globe saying it is unlikely Grant Williams returns to Boston.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Stevens is not guaranteed, doesn't become guaranteed until January.

We have 15 contracts on the books right now, before we sign Sidy Cissoko, who apparently is getting a guaranteed contract, not a two-way.

Ending contracts:

DougieMcBuckets: 13.75mm
DeVonte Graham: 12.1mm (only 2mm guaranteed for following year, so easy waive)
Collins (not getting traded)
Birch: 7mm
Osman: 6.7mm
Stevems: 1.9mm unguaranteed
Guitarsoup
AG
Primo: 4.3
Keldon: 20
Doug: 13.75
Wemby: 12.2
Graham: 12.1
Tre Jones: 9.6mm
Collins: 7.7
Birch: 7
Osman: 6.7
Vassell: 5.9
Sochan: 5.3
Branham: 3
Champagnie: 2.8
Wesley: 2.5
Bassey: 2.5
Stevens: 1.9

---------------------

That's 114.75

However, the Tre Jones cap hold is only about 5mm, and the Champagnie cap hold is only 1.8mm. You can wait to sign them until after you do other things if you want. That could free up 5.6mm in space. Also, Stevens can be waived to free up 1.9mm. So that is 7.5mm in extra space.

So max cap right now is 107.25 of a 136 cap.

28.75 max available now.
Plus the room exception of 7.7mm.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

They liked Cedi in the draft. He's expiring, probably taking a cheap look while picking up a second.

That's all I got.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cedi is 28.
Champagnie turned 22 two days ago and is a much better shooter. I'd rather Julian get those minutes.

Our last five games of the season, we went 3-2 and Champagnie put up 20/6 on 48/45/82 shooting.

Sher Thing
AG
Spurs don't look like they have any desire to enter into any long term deals. Even Tre only got 2 years. It looks like they prefer to run it back with the young guys and figure out exactly what they have.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

Spurs don't look like they have any desire to enter into any long term deals. Even Tre only got 2 years. It looks like they prefer to run it back with the young guys and figure out exactly what they have.
Still have to hit the salary floor.
FTAG 2000
AG
Sher Thing said:

Seem to be focused on max space in 2025.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Sher Thing said:

Seem to be focused on max space in 2025.
Except Collins+Vassell get big contracts next year, probably extensions this year. Their hold isn't enormous, but they will count on whatever extension they get.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah but you also have Graham and McDermott coming off soon.

Spurs could re structure some deals to hit the floor or sign one more guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Assume Collins gets ~18mm?
Vassell ges 25mm?

Keldon: 19mm
Wemby 13mm
Graham: 2.1mm guaranteed
Tre: 10.4mm
Sochan: 5.6mm
Branham: 3.2mm
Champagnie: 2.9mm
Wesley: 2.6mm
Bassey: 2.5mm (not guaranteed)
3 first round picks (say 5mm each)

That's still 116 if you waive Bassey and Graham. So you could theoretically have ~30mm open next summer, as long as Collins+Vassell doesn't add up to more than 43mm.

Unless Champagnie learns to be a stopper defensively, I still think we need three pieces on this team: post defense, wing defense, primary playmaker. I doubt we land those three saving cap space for next summer continually. Maybe we hit in the lottery again, but more likely, we trade for those players or uncover them from a rock like Bowen/Green.
FTAG 2000
AG
When Windhorst said Spurs would do something surprising, who knew he meant doing absolutely nothing with a pile of cap space other than scrounging for second rounders and expirings to get to the floor?
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

When Windhorst said Spurs would do something surprising, who knew he meant doing absolutely nothing with a pile of cap space other than scrounging for second rounders and expirings to get to the floor?
The Spurs doing nothing in free agency is the least surprising thing ever.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I still think there is a trade on deck. I kinda hope they are in on Zubac supposedly being on the block. Not sure what the clips want in return though
Sher Thing
AG
Building through the draft. Need to get Stephon Castle next year to pair with Wemby.
Sher Thing
AG
Thinking about it… they'll probably just re sign Mamu to hit the floor lol
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I still think there is a trade on deck. I kinda hope they are in on Zubac supposedly being on the block. Not sure what the clips want in return though
Probably want multiple firsts for Zu Alcindor.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Well the one thing we do have is draft capital. Couple of our least desirable firsts and a boat load of seconds.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dame formally requested to be traded.
FTAG 2000
AG
Hopefully Miami takes on that 220 million headache. (Dame).
Guitarsoup
AG
Send him to the Clippers and tell him good luck with getting Kawhi and PG13 healthy.

**** you for making us sign Jeremi Grant to a 160mm deal and demanding a trade the next day.

And throw Kobe Brown in there, too.

Zubac
Grant/Batum/Brown
Kris Murray/Mann
Sharpe/Simons
Scoot/Bones
Enzo The Baker
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Hopefully Miami takes on that 220 million headache. (Dame).

I don't think he's a headache. Dame is a great player that gave his team multiple chances to put a winner together around him and they couldn't do it. Could probably have done without the off-season drama but he got what he wanted.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Come on Momo

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing
AG
Yeah no way. 33 year old ball stopping PG with like $220mm left on his deal. Hard pass.
Guitarsoup
AG

Yall want the Spurs in on this?

Ok, Portland sends their three worst contracts that aren't Jeremi Grant to Miami.
Miami sends all their good young guys to Portland as well as all their 1st round picks.
Spurs send Birch to Portland.
Portland and Miami send a bunch of second round picks to the Spurs, because Brian Wright has a 2RP fetish.Oh, we also get one year of overpaid Kyle Lowry.

Cap Floor reached. Next year's cap room preserved so that we can do nothing with it then.
Sher Thing
AG
Spurs def could get in on this Portland-Miami deal though as a third team to help facilitate. Could bring Lowry here... another large expiring.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, I think Lowry makes sense for our current team.

He still put up 9/4/4 on 43/38/94 shooting in the playoffs.
AggieEP
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Are you guys with me now?

After a letdown on draft night when the Spurs whiffed on a chance to be bold, now the Spurs slept through free agency.

I just don't get the plan here. You guys don't think the Spurs are planning on tanking this year? It seems like the whole plan is to run it back with a bottom 3 team + Wemby, and we already know the plan with Wemby is going to be to limit the wear and tear as he learns the NBA game.

I think they've fallen too in love with the idea of collecting assets and preserving cap space that they've forgotten that at some point you have to use that capital. We can't roster 43 second round picks, and cap space is worthless if you wait until every free agent has signed to try and use it.
Sher Thing
AG
I mean there is still time in free agency but the Spurs literally told you what they were planning on doing. They specifically said they want to see what they have and not make any costly mistakes... and that's exactly the approach they are taking.
Enzo The Baker
AG
AggieEP said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Are you guys with me now?

After a letdown on draft night when the Spurs whiffed on a chance to be bold, now the Spurs slept through free agency.

I just don't get the plan here. You guys don't think the Spurs are planning on tanking this year? It seems like the whole plan is to run it back with a bottom 3 team + Wemby, and we already know the plan with Wemby is going to be to limit the wear and tear as he learns the NBA game.

I think they've fallen too in love with the idea of collecting assets and preserving cap space that they've forgotten that at some point you have to use that capital. We can't roster 43 second round picks, and cap space is worthless if you wait until every free agent has signed to try and use it.

Or they are preserving cap because the options right now are complete ass.
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't think we are tanking at all. Don't think we will be a bottom 5 team in the league. But think they want to let Wemby, Sochan, and Devin play some minutes together and see what is working and what isn't, then probably trade appropriately to get the right players around them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.