*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

113,923 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hendricks is listed as PF.

Edit: thought you said Walker
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Hendricks is listed as PF.

Edit: thought you said Walker
Hendricks is a 6'8 210lb perimeter player. He's a tweener at best. He'll play some stretch 4, but probably needs to add 15lbs to really be a PF. Up and down, he looks like Brandon Miller. Similar height, weight and college numbers, but I think Hendricks is a much better defender and not as good a playmaker for others.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol no I understand but I was obviously qualifying him as a SF in terms of his positional ranking. No one is taking him over Hendricks.
superunknown
AG
Did yall see this video of Wemby juggling 3 basketballs? Dunno the original source, would have preferred to link an ig or Twitter or tiktok account but someone on r/nbaspurs posted it.

https://v.redd.it/yuwpmgqwcg4b1
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bring in CP3 for a two-year, $50 million contract. Who says no?

Bet he will go to a contender though.
Sher Thing
AG
I'm sure he'll end up with his butt buddy n LA.

Not that interested, tbh.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'd love to bring in CP3 for Wemby's early years.

But this sounds like he wants to go to a team ready to contend now and not in a few years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Well good thing we are drafting Wemby.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Well good thing we are drafting Wemby.

I like the optimism.
Guitarsoup
AG
Mavs need to sign him and rub the CP3, Kyrie, Luka all point guard no defense team
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I want to preserve cap space next year if we aren't getting valuable players with it this year
jteagle
AG
2 weeks until the draft!

FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Everyone involved with the Spurs front office, hopefully.
Guitarsoup
AG
I would actually like to see Paul sign back with New Orleans.

JonasV/Larry Nance
Zion/Trey Murphy
Brandon Ingram/JRich
CJ McCollum/Herbert Jones
CP3/Dyson Daniels
Obi Wan Ginobili
Guitarsoup said:

JonasV/Larry Nance
Zion/Trey Murphy
Brandon Ingram/JRich
CP3/Dyson Daniels

So New Orleans can have two stars who never play?
Guitarsoup
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

JonasV/Larry Nance
Zion/Trey Murphy
Brandon Ingram/JRich
CP3/Dyson Daniels

So New Orleans can have two stars who never play?
Possibly more. CJ McCollum is getting old, too.
AggieEP
I was listening to Bill Simmons talk about the effects of the new CBA on roster building, and the Spurs are probably another 4-5 years from really feeling the effects since we don't really have stars right now, but the time could be now to use the cap space we have to gobble up a bad contract.

One guy that popped into my head yesterday watching him play poorly was Michael Porter Jr. The Nuggets don't even need him to win, but they locked him up at 30 million+ per year and I bet they'd rather spread that out over a couple of contributors since they already have Gordon at 20 million, Murray at 30 million and Jokic at 45 million.

The Spurs could completely take on the contract in exchange for the Charlotte pick and get in exchange one of the best shooters in the league with 4 years of control on him.

PG...
Vassell
Porter Jr.
Sochan
Wemby

Keldon, Collins and Branham as your bench wrecking crew.

At least if the Spurs take on his contract, he's a legitimate contributor even if overpaid a bit, much better than taking Jordan Poole, even if the Warriors would let us take Kuminga also.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think they ask for more than the Charlotte pick unless they just panic about the salaries. My guess is they would want something like Keldon and a first for MPJ. I don't know that that improves us a ton. If Porter was a lock down defender I would feel differently, but he is a much more efficient offensive player, has better size, and is a better shooter, but isn't a great passer or defender for twice the price of Keldon. Gotta love the size of having him at SF next to Wemby and it creates more space since he is such a better and more consistent shooter than Keldon.
AggieEP
Agreed they might want more based on how good of a player Porter is, but the squeeze will be real in the future and based on what we've seen their core is Murray and Jokic. As long as they have those two, they are fine, the problem is that when it comes time to extend Murray again in two years he likely becomes at least a 40 million a year player at the same time Jokic is a 55 million a year player. Roster construction just starts to get really complicated when you have to find 10 more guys to put around those two and you only have 80 million to work with (which gets you to the top tax bracket, only 60 million if you want under the tax levels). Porter's contract escalates so he'd be making 40 million by then, meaning you have to find 9 other guys for only 40 (or 20 million) to build a winner.

It's just not going to happen.

If they want Keldon in exchange for Porter to reduce their financial burden, I might listen, if they also are willing to send us an unprotected 2028 or later first in return. We solve their cap issues, and bet on them being bad again once Jokic and Murray start to age.

For Denver, it's a matter of being able to compete for championships to shed Porter off the team, if they don't do it, then they are screwed going forward and there aren't a lot of teams that can just take the whole contract like the Spurs could.

In any case, just a thought as I was looking at guys with big contracts that aren't necessarily core parts of their team success.
Guitarsoup
AG
There is no way they are sending a first and MPJ for Keldon.

If they put Porter on the market, they will have plenty of teams interested. It isn't like trying to trade Davis Bertans or John Wall.
AggieEP
There is no way the Raptors should have got Kawhi Leonard for Demar Derozan Jakob Poetl and a late 1st, but they did. Sometimes the circumstances drive trade value more than the actual value of the players/assets involved.

So while I agree, that trade isn't fair on paper, this isn't about fairness, and I think we'll see a couple of teams find ways to dump contracts by essentially giving up the player + draft compensation to get rid of a contract.
Guitarsoup
AG
The obvious difference is MPJ isn't a ***** faking that he is too injured to put on shoes and forcing a trade and MPJ has 3 guaranteed years left after the Finals.

A ***** ass punk like Kawhi in an ending year contract has less value and they ultimately traded us an All-NBA wing, a rising center, and a 1st we used for Keldon Johnson.

With Kawhi openly saying he wanted to go to LA and being on an ending contract, he didn't have as much value as a MVP candidate would. MPJ seems to be a good guy that doesn't cause problems and there will be no shortage of teams bidding for his services.
AggieEP
Also, while many others may be interested, do many teams want Porter when he will be making 40 million a year in 2026. It's not as easy of a sell as it may seem at first. There just aren't a lot of teams whose books can take on a role player, even a good role player at 40 million a year.

Guitarsoup
AG
I think if the Nuggets want to trade him this year, they will have a ton of better offers than a lottery protected first round pick.

And the cap is expected to go up significantly with the new TV and new licensing deal (already going up 12mm this year) so I think that 40 won't look as bad as it does now. Also the 40mm he will get in 26-27 is only 12mm guaranteed.
AggieEP
As of right now we don't have a rising center or an all NBA wing from that trade, we have Keldon plus two protected future 1st round picks. We'll see what those two picks turn into if and when they convey, and perhaps look back fondly on the Kawhi trade one day if we hit on either one of those picks. Right now there is a good chance the Bulls and Raptors are bad the next couple of years, so it'll just be a matter of them being just mediocre enough to send us the best possible pick without being so bad as to get to keep their pick.

Agreed again that Kawhi hurt his value with his antics. And in this case Porter's contract is the albatross that will affect what the Nuggets can do with him.

Guitarsoup
AG
Or current assets from Kawhi Trade:

Branham
Keldon
Birch
Top6 protected 2024 first round pick
Top 10 protected 2025 first round pick
44th pick this year
2024 second round pick (Lakers)
2025 second round pick (Bulls)

Plus we got 3 years of DD and 5 years of Jakob.

I wouldn't trade those picks plus Keldon and Branham for Kawhi for now, that's for sure
AggieEP
I forgot about Branham, but... listing the 2nd round picks... I don't really count those, you only get a Jokic, Middleton or Ginobili about once every 10 years out of a second round pick. The hit rate is insanely low.

But why not, we've hit on one before, I can be optimistic
West Texan
AG

Quote:

If the Suns do move Paul, sources around the NBA are whispering about three potential destinations: the Clippers, the Lakers, and the Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Interesting. Wouldn't mind Paul for a large one year contract but definitely don't want to give up assets for him.

Wemby playing in the finals tomorrow at 1:30pm on the nba app.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan said:

Quote:

If the Suns do move Paul, sources around the NBA are whispering about three potential destinations: the Clippers, the Lakers, and the Spurs.

Same article:

Quote:

San Antonio would be a fascinating fit, and it's probably my favorite one overall. Paul could make life easier on offense for Wembanyama and serve as a mentor who can teach him the ways of the pick-and-roll. Paul was immensely beneficial for Deandre Ayton, instructing him how to set screens at certain angles and read the defense. But Wembanyama could be even more of a sponge. Devin Vassell, Keldon Johnson, and Jeremy Sochan would also benefit from Paul's creation, so with CP3, plus some other moves, the Spurs could compete for the playoffs.

Paul's preference appears to be staying on the West Coast, though. But Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix says the Celtics, Heat, and Grizzlies could also pursue him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs list of players they have worked out. Looks like mostly second rounders.

Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

West Texan said:

Quote:

Same article:

Quote:

San Antonio would be a fascinating fit, and it's probably my favorite one overall. Paul could make life easier on offense for Wembanyama and serve as a mentor who can teach him the ways of the pick-and-roll. Paul was immensely beneficial for Deandre Ayton, instructing him how to set screens at certain angles and read the defense. But Wembanyama could be even more of a sponge. Devin Vassell, Keldon Johnson, and Jeremy Sochan would also benefit from Paul's creation, so with CP3, plus some other moves, the Spurs could compete for the playoffs.

Paul's preference appears to be staying on the West Coast, though. But Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix says the Celtics, Heat, and Grizzlies could also pursue him.

I would rather pluck my nutsack hair than cheer for Chris Paul
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
It would be very cool if Dexter Dennis got a 2-way spot next year
West Texan
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

It would be very cool if Dexter Dennis got a 2-way spot next year

He's a reliable jumper away from potentially making an NBA roster.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Anything happen while I was in solitary?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.