*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

113,926 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Simmons also liked Grant Williams to us for 4y40mm. You let him grind the post with his strength, but on offense, he is a great 3pt threat. Use him as a small center with wemby at PF bc grant will guard the stronger guys inside and Wemby will be the help.

I'd love to get Grant Williams. Improves our defense and 3 point shooting and won't be someone to demand the ball on the offensive end to take away from our younger guys that we need to see create. We could front load his contract so that we meet the floor, but still have a little more cap flexibility down the line/makes it easier to off load him if need be.

He makes sense on paper but I can't stand that guy. I think there's a reason Boston would let him walk.
I think Boston likes him, but they just got Kristaps. At C/PF they have Kristaps, Hortford, TimeLord, Tatum, and Kornet
Ag Natural
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Simmons also liked Grant Williams to us for 4y40mm. You let him grind the post with his strength, but on offense, he is a great 3pt threat. Use him as a small center with wemby at PF bc grant will guard the stronger guys inside and Wemby will be the help.

I'd love to get Grant Williams. Improves our defense and 3 point shooting and won't be someone to demand the ball on the offensive end to take away from our younger guys that we need to see create. We could front load his contract so that we meet the floor, but still have a little more cap flexibility down the line/makes it easier to off load him if need be.

He makes sense on paper but I can't stand that guy. I think there's a reason Boston would let him walk.
Random bit of intel just came across. My son happens to be friends with Grant William's roommate. Apparently Pop himself has already called to tell Grant he's their number one target.
Guitarsoup
AG

That would never happen. That's tampering.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

They lifted the ban on tampering.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Random bit of intel just came across. My son happens to be friends with Grant William's roommate. Apparently Pop himself has already called to tell Grant he's their number one target.

Williams would be okay. Hard to get excited about a break glass in case of emergency player from the playoffs though. Thanks for sharing. Almost more surprised that Grant Williams has a roommate.
Ag Natural
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wait no. They created a "negotiating window" now but that doesn't start until July 1st. I don't know if a team can call a player. They certainly can't "negotiate" until then.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

They just increased the penalties.

Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Williams would be okay. Hard to get excited about a break glass in case of emergency player from the playoffs though. Thanks for sharing. Almost more surprised that Grant Williams has a roommate.
Well it's not to share rent

It's a childhood friend of the family. 100% mooch
Sher Thing
AG
I like Grant Williams but he just seemed a little redundant. But he's a good defender and can bring toughness and energy to a team. I think you need to move McDermott if you make that signing though to open up minutes as it would be a log jam at the forward position. I do think the Spurs need to bring in more defensive minded guys so I wouldn't hate it.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Right. I was referring to the annual charade where you can't get deals done with FAs until July 6th... and then they all get done in the first hours of the window. Instead of having the rule and not enforcing it, they created a negotiating window leading up the FA start date.

Other types of tampering like in-season trade talks is absolutely being cracked down on.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Right. I was referring to the annual charade where you can't get deals done with FAs until July 6th... and then they all get done in the first hours of the window. Instead of having the rule and not enforcing it, they created a negotiating window leading up the FA start date.

Other types of tampering like in-season trade talks is absolutely being cracked down on.
They have had that window for years to knock out contracts. Teams cant sign them until a week later or so. That's how it has been for a long long time.

Pop calling Williams on the 28th would be tampering.

But also things like the Kristaps opting into his contract to go to Boston can't happen without tampering.
Guitarsoup
AG
New CBA stuff:

https://theathletic.com/4607105/2023/06/28/nba-cba-new-rules/

Quote:

Over the last 10 years, there have been roughly six teams per season that go over the tax, and an average of three teams per season that spent enough to reach what will soon be the second apron level. But that swelled this past season to new highs. Nine teams went into the tax, and seven teams were above what would have been second apron level of spending.

--------

Quote:

new CBA also has a built-in ceiling of no more than 10 percent cap growth each year.
------------

FIRST APRON RULES

About $7mm over luxury tax, Lux tax currently about 164mm.

Quote:

now be unable to sign buyout players defined as players who were waived during the regular season and who had a salary higher than the full non-taxpayer midlevel exception.

2023-24 season:
Quote:

can only match salaries up to 110 percent of the players in a trade
2024 on into the future:

Quote:

only be able to trade for a player who makes up to the value of the salary being dealt away.

Quote:

traded player exceptions generated in the prior year cease to be useable unless they get back down below the apron

SECOND APRON RULES

Set at 17.5mm over luxury tax, will increase proportional to salary cap

Quote:

Teams will not be able to use their taxpayer midlevel salary exception.

Quote:

teams cannot aggregate player salaries together in a trade
So you can't add Spencer Dinwiddie's contract and DFS' contract to equal Kyrie's contract for cap rules.

Quote:

will not be able to send out its own player in a sign-and-trade to acquire another team's player
That hurts the players a lot, since only a few teams are ever under the cap.

Quote:

cannot send cash in a deal

Quote:

If a team is above the second apron as of the last day of the regular season, starting with the 2024-25 cap year (July 1, 2024), then its first-round pick seven years out cannot be traded. That's called the frozen pick. If that team is also above the second apron in two of the ensuing four years, that frozen pick will also be moved to the end of the first round in that year.
So the Clippers could get their 2030 pick frozen, then moved to 30th for paying Kawhi and PG13 so much, then both players retire and they are a lottery team with the last pick in the draft.

SALARY FLOOR
Quote:

need to hit [Salary floor] by the first day of the regular season

Quote:

Any team under the cap floor will have the difference between its team salary and the floor added to its payroll, so it can't use that amount as available cap space anymore.

Quote:

It also won't be allowed to perform any transactions after the first day of the regular season that would further decrease its team salary.

Quote:

teams that don't hit the floor won't receive any of the money paid out to non-taxpaying teams

EXCEPTIONS

Quote:

Non-Taxpayer MLE = 9.12% of cap, up from 7.5%

Quote:

Room Exception = 5.678% of cap - $7.7mm next year

Quote:

Taxpayer MLE = $5mm, down from 6.479mm, max of two seasons, not three.

Quote:

Beginning with the 2024-25 cap year, teams will be able to use the non-taxpayer midlevel, the room midlevel or the bi-annual exception to acquire a player or multiple players in a trade or on a waiver claim,

Quote:

The second-rounders can sign a three-year deal, in which the first season's salary is worth up to the minimum annual salary for a player with one year of service, or a four-year deal, in which the first season's salary is worth up to the minimum annual salary for a player with two years of service. Both must have a team option as the final year.
Big deal - don't have to use a MLE on a 2nd. And you get multiple exceptions

Restricted Free Agency

Quote:

The qualifying offer will go up by 10 percent for former first-round picks.

Quote:

The qualifying offer for any player who isn't coming off a two-way deal or a first-round contract will be worth 135 percent of their prior year's salary, up from 125 percent.
TAX RATES

0-4.999MM = $1.50 per dollar in 24/25, $1 in 25 and beyond
5-9.999MM = $1.75 per dollar in 24/25, $1.25 in 25 and beyond
10-14.999MM = $2.50 in 24/25. $3.50 in 25 and beyond
15-19.999MM = 3.25 in 24/25. $4.75 in 25 and beyond
$20+ = 3.75 (and increases $.50 per $5mm) in 24/25. $5.25 with same increases in 25 and beyond.

Repeater Tax:

0-5: $2.50 now, $3 in 2025+
5-10: 2.75 now, 3.25 in 2025+
10-15: 3.50 now, 5.50 in 2025+
15-20: 4.25 now, 6.75 in 2025+
20+: 4.75 now, 7.25 in 2025+. Add .50 for every $5mm over 20.

Quote:

Tax brackets will increase as the cap increases. They will not stay static. So if the cap increases by 10%, the 0-5mm bracket also increases 10% to 0-5.5mm.

MISC

Quote:

The incoming CBA stipulates that agents may now get fined up to $125,000 by the NBPA for violating the league's tampering rules, going public with trade demands or the rules on when free-agency discussions can begin. Starting with the 2024 free-agency period, players and their agents will not be allowed to announce their new deals until the end of the moratorium period, unless that deal can legally be signed during it. The NBA will be able to fine teams or team personnel for violating the rules on premature free-agency talks. Those punishments include a fine up to $2 million, taking away draft picks and/or suspending people that work for that team.

Quote:

Teams will be able to start negotiating a contract with their own players beginning the day after the end of the NBA Finals.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

In a look at where the Raptors stand heading into free agency, Eric Koreen of The Athletic expects the team to re-sign both Fred VanVleet and Jakob Poeltl, although it will be expensive to do so. Koreen projects a four-year, $130MM contract for VanVleet and a three-year, $63MM deal for Poeltl. That would give Toronto $164.8MM committed to 12 players for the upcoming season, leaving no way to fill out the roster without exceeding the projected luxury-tax threshold of $165MM.
4y80 with 4th year as a player option would certainly be better.
Guitarsoup
AG

Houston in 2023:

28th in FG%
30th in 3FG%

Spends $60mm in cap space on:
PG that shot .393/.342 last year
SF that shot .396/.326 last year

Uses 4th pick on 20yo guy that can't shoot
Uses 20th pick on 19yo guy with major injury problems that can't pass
West Texan
AG
Amen's entire upside is that he's a point guard, and now they're gonna sign FVV?
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, but he isn't ready. FVV brings defense, toughness, and played a huge role for a Championship team.
Enzo The Baker
AG
They are just closing their eyes and picking players at this point. This will be entertaining.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Yeah, but he isn't ready. FVV brings defense, toughness, and played a huge role for a Championship team.

I get that, but if we were in their spot and picked Amen at #4 then signed someone to start over him, I'd be pissed. Let the young guys develop and see what you got.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

I get that, but if we were in their spot and picked Amen at #4 then signed someone to start over him, I'd be pissed. Let the young guys develop and see what you got.
It's gonna be a cluster**** regardless.

Jalen Green SG, 22/4/4 with awful shooting splits, 2021 2nd pick
FVV, PG, Championship experienced PG
Amen, PG, 2023 4th pick 2023
Kevin Porter Jr, PG, 19/6/5, highest paid player in 2022-23.

They need better players and good leaders. Amen can at least start at SF and be like the old school SFs that cut and slash.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Jones, Champagnie and Barlow would be nice to retain.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Jones, Champagnie and Barlow would be nice to retain.

Hoping 3y30 for Jones, with declining salary.
DGAF about Champagnie or Barlow. Keep, let go, were all gonna die. Eat at Arby's
superunknown
AG
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nba/spurs/report-spurs-add-victor-wembanyamas-long-time-trainer-staff-nba-san-antonio/273-d2dc59e1-b750-4c40-8247-c369ba5d5006

Wemby's trainer to join Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Barlow I can let go of. To me Champagnie showed he's a player. He can do a lot of stuff offensively and brings the effort on D. Reminds me of a Miami bargain barrel guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Lakers confident they can get Bruce Brown.

I love him, but don't hate us just going after Grant Williams as a small 5 and calling it a day, especially if we can get Grant for 3y30 or something under the mle
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Barlow I can let go of. To me Champagnie showed he's a player. He can do a lot of stuff offensively and brings the effort on D. Reminds me of a Miami bargain barrel guy.

[url] [/url]
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'm good with it. JC's also got a good body for what we need.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Jones got QO too.

Guitarsoup
AG
Don't know how Barlow gets a QO before Manu and Julian
Guitarsoup
AG
New season starts tomorrow, who wants the esteemed honor of starting the season thread?

Is Adam87 still around? Who's our team elder statesman?
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan did a fine job last year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Julian is in the summer league roster. Hopefully just a matter of time.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

New season starts tomorrow, who wants the esteemed honor of starting the season thread?

This is the only time I ever started a season thread and it netted us the first pick. While I feel accomplished, I'm hoping for better results, so someone else needs to start it.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

This.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

This is the only time I ever started a season thread and it netted us the first pick. While I feel accomplished, I'm hoping for better results, so someone else needs to start it.

If that's the case, you need to start it for 2025 for the Atlanta pick.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan did a fine job last year.

I'm ready to pass the torch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.