*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

113,900 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be shocked if they don't at least move into the teens to get his Buddy Coulibaly.
superunknown
AG
Javtokas instantly reminds me of the old spurstalk message boards. Good times! Chout out to Viktor Sanikidze for blazing a Viktorius trail for Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

Javtokas instantly reminds me of the old spurstalk message boards. Good times! Chout out to Viktor Sanikidze for blazing a Viktorius trail for Wemby.

Bring over Victor and Viktor!
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I 100% think the Spurs need to take a patient approach with Wemby. As has been stated numerous times, he's only 19 and is used to playing one game a week in the French league. The NBA is a totally different ball game and it is going to take two or three seasons for him to hit his stride.

The Spurs have set themselves up well with 12 first round picks over the next five years; however, they should continue to explore trading for first rounders by taking on some undesirable contracts like they have been doing. Just because you got your guy doesn't mean the approach has to completely change overnight.

I understand that there is no way the Spurs use all 12 first rounders over the next five years; thus why would you want to add more; however, the great thing about stockpiling firsts is you can eventually trade all those assets for a star if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm sure the fan base wants the team to try and use draft picks to trade for proven players now but I think the Spurs are smarter than that and I think Wemby is smart enough to see the big picture also.

I certainly wouldn't be handing out any big long-term deals this Summer or taking on any large multi-year contracts without some other form of compensation (1st rounders).

I think the need to take a patient approach is right, which is why it is more important to use draft assets can cap space to get proven veterans to take the pressure off of Wemby.

We are trying to develop Sochan, Wemby, Branham, Wesley, and Bassey. Having veteran role players or even borderline stars with solid experience would be great in taking pressure off the young guys and bringing them along at a comfortable pace.

Not only that, but if we are as worried about Wemby's workload and injury potential, having more players to allow him to rest as much as possible is essential.

I would not be against getting a guy like Anthony Black, but I think Washington would charge us at least 2 firsts for the 8th pick, maybe more. Or we could get a guy that was All-Defense 1st team and an elite teammate in Alex Caruso cheaper. Caruso has 2y19mm left on his contract. Chicago's asking price at the deadline last year was 2 firsts. I think that is a little steep, but I would send Chicago their own first back, give them #33 (almost a first) and two seconds out of our treasure trove. Black is a lot younger (19 vs 28) but we know how good Caruso is and we know that Caruso was a starter on an NBA championship team.

The Nets have cap problems and are publicly offering Dorian Finney-Smith or Royce ONeale for a first. I would pay a first for Royce Oneale. Career 38% 3pt shooter, great defender. He's shorter than I would ideally want, but he has the strength to match up on bigger wings and even stretch4s (28% of his minutes at 4 last year). The big negative is he is 30.

Cap space on Naz Reid. Cap space on Bruce Brown (I always want to say Bruce Bowen.)

Or you swing really big and instead of that first for ONeale, you package up multiple picks for 25yo OG Anonuby. If FVV and Gary Trent decide to walk, Toronto has to rebuild around Scottie Barnes and Jakob.

I still think that next year will be a learning year, but getting the right mix of role players around Wemby and the rest of the young guys is essential for their development. I don't think treading water next year will be as good as having the veteran leadership.

Toronto sends us:
OG Anunoby

We send Toronto:
Branham
Toronto's 2024 1st back
Charlotte's 2024 1st
Spurs 2025 1st
2023 #33 pick
Assortment of 2nd round picks

-------------------------------

Chicago sends us:
Alex Caruso

We send Chicago:
Devonte Graham (ending contract)
Chicago's own 1st round pick back
Spurs 2027 1st
Whatever seconds, IDGAF

-------------------------------

Sign Bruce Brown from Nuggets with cap space

----------------------------------

Sign Naz Reid from Minnesota with cap space

Naz Reid / Zach Collins / Bassey
Wemby / Sochan / Doug (who probably gets traded away)
OG Anunoby / Keldon
Vassell / Bruce Brown
Caruso / Wesley

Bruce Brown is 26 and Caruso is 28. They are the veteran leaders of that team. Everyone else is 25 or younger.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Lowe Post up. Blue chair story explained.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I totally agree that the Spurs need to sign a couple low to mid tier veterans. I'm mostly saying that I wouldn't start blowing our cap space by signing guys to $100MM contracts right now or trading for vets with $60MM left on their current deals (unless draft capital is attached).

I think Naz Reid is a solid option at Center. I also like Mason Plumlee for that role.

Mike Conley at PG is an interesting option that is reportedly maybe on the market that would be a good veteran presence you might be looking for on a young team.

A lot of speculation around Keldon Johnson and his long-term fit with the club. We could probably move back into the Top 7 of the draft with a Keldon + future 1st combo. Orlando at 6 might take that. I go both ways on that as I agree that moving Keldon for someone you think has a higher ceiling (Black, Amen, etc.) is totally fine; however, you lose a lot of production off last years squad.
Sher Thing
AG

Interview with Wemby transcribed by ST:

Lottery is done, Spurs will get #1 pick, how do you feel ?
Since it's over now, I've seen some teams getting picks #2,3,4,5,6 and I was happy to see them getting these picks. I'm very happy about the outcome.

First thoughts about the city and the franchise of San Antonio?
San Antonio is for me a solid and loyal fan base despite recent ups and downs. It's also of course titles and a winning culture like nowhere else.

When you were, did you watch theses titles?
I remember about 2013 and 2014. There was of course the Ray Allen shoot, everybody remember it as a great shoot but, for me, as TP was playing, it was the bad guy shoot.

About being coached by Pop?
It will be an honor. From what I've heard, he is a demanding coach but I'm sure of one thing, it's that he is a good coach. He is quite more experienced than me, so I'm coached by him, it will be with a lot of humility and excitement.

But Spurs are currently a bottom of the barrel team?
In NBA, teams can get really better very quick. In NBA, with how fast trades are going, I've nothing to worry about that. What matters is that this franchise has a strong basis and mindset.

How do you feel about being compared with TP as you go to Spurs too?
I'm not worried at all about it. It's just an honor. I know people have a lot of expectations but they aren't higher than the ones I have for myself.
superunknown
AG
Quote:

Since it's over now, I've seen some teams getting picks #2,3,4,5,6 and I was happy to see them getting these picks. I'm very happy about the outcome.
Iowaggie
AG
Sher Thing said:

Yeah I totally agree that the Spurs need to sign a couple low to mid tier veterans. I'm mostly saying that I wouldn't start blowing our cap space by signing guys to $100MM contracts right now or trading for vets with $60MM left on their current deals (unless draft capital is attached).

I think Naz Reid is a solid option at Center. I also like Mason Plumlee for that role.

Mike Conley at PG is an interesting option that is reportedly maybe on the market that would be a good veteran presence you might be looking for on a young team.

A lot of speculation around Keldon Johnson and his long-term fit with the club. We could probably move back into the Top 7 of the draft with a Keldon + future 1st combo. Orlando at 6 might take that. I go both ways on that as I agree that moving Keldon for someone you think has a higher ceiling (Black, Amen, etc.) is totally fine; however, you lose a lot of production off last years squad.

What if any of these teams call and say they want to trade this veteran & their weighty contract? Assume the only cost to Spurs is a lightly protected 2nd round pick or Doug McDermott, and the trading team may (or may not) throw in a future draft pick to get off the contract. Who would you want?

Suns: Chris Paul
Wizards: Bradly Beal
Warriors: Jordan Poole
Nets: Ben Simmons
Hawks: John Collins
Hornets: Gordon Haywood
Bulls; Lonzo Ball
Heat: Duncan Robinson
Sher Thing
AG
I like McDermott on the Spurs now even more with Wemby on the roster.

I wouldn't want any of those players tbh. Might entertain Lonzo Ball due to the need at PG and his age but that's about it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

Sher Thing said:

What if any of these teams call and say they want to trade this veteran & their weighty contract? Assume the only cost to Spurs is a lightly protected 2nd round pick or Doug McDermott, and the trading team may (or may not) throw in a future draft pick to get off the contract. Who would you want?

Bulls; Lonzo Ball
If the Suns can't trade Chris Paul, they may cut and stretch him (15mm guaranteed stretched over 3 years saves them 25mm this year on cap.) If you want him, hold off and give him the option to come here on a vet min.

Bradley Beal starts the 2nd year of his 5y251mm contract next year and he has shot below 35% from 3 over the past 4 years combined. He combines that by not being a good defensive player and turning 30. Hard pass.

Jordan Poole may be able to be rehabbed outside of Draymond's right cross. He starts a 4y128mm contract next year and is just 24.

Ben Simmons has 2y80mm left as a 6/6/6 player. I think he could fit if he went back to DPOY candidate status, but I don't think he loves basketball enough and I don't think he is mentally tough enough to handle being coached by Pop. But if he was, starting him at point and having 7' Collins, 7'4 Wemby, 6'5 Keldon and Vassell and 6'10 Simmons would be ridiculous height.

John Collins is a guy I wanted a few years ago when he was a 40% 3-pt shooting 20/10 stretch 4. But he's now a 13/6 29% albatross. We already have Wemby and Sochan at 4.

Haywood only has 1y31mm left, but he is worthless. I only take him if we acquire more assets. Doug is better than he is at this point.

Lonzo may never play basketball again. He's about to have his 3rd knee surgery since the last time he played.

Duncan Robinson is unplayable. .371/.328 this year. That's worse than Hostile_Aggie.

I think you roll the dice with Poole and hope that a new situation benefits him if you have to take one.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Iowaggie said:

Sher Thing said:

Bulls; Lonzo Ball

Personally, I entertain the possibility of Poole, Simmons, or Ball, but that's it. Big fat No on the rest. Regarding the ones I would at least consider, Lonzo if healthy is the easiest choice considering the talent he brings. But that is a massive IF. Poole is next bc he brings points but it honestly would take more than your hypothetical IMO, but if you can get him for McBuckets and trash, why the hell not? We need a guy that could fill it out like he can. Simmons will always be an intriguing prospect. I guess I'm naive that if you can get someone like that for little real capital, why the hell not? The guy could use being out of the spotlight of a big market. And with his defensive length, it's very appealing
LawHall88
AG
Bring back Lonnie!
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

Bring back Lonnie!

Ehhhhhh I'm good.
Guitarsoup
AG
Vet min 12th man? Lonnie is a great choice.
AggieEP
Jordan Poole is borderline unplayable as well some days... but if the Spurs could take him + either Moody or Kuminga then I think it's worth a gamble. It'll be 4 years before you have to pay Wemby and Sochan, so Poole's money is not going to handicap you long term.

I think there is real talent in Kuminga in particular, he just doesn't have an avenue to minutes on the Warriors, the Spurs could let him play big minutes and see what potential is there.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

Jordan Poole is borderline unplayable as well some days... but if the Spurs could take him + either Moody or Kuminga then I think it's worth a gamble. It'll be 4 years before you have to pay Wemby and Sochan, so Poole's money is not going to handicap you long term.

I think there is real talent in Kuminga in particular, he just doesn't have an avenue to minutes on the Warriors, the Spurs could let him play big minutes and see what potential is there.
Talk within the Warriors about Kuminga developing into a Shawn Marion-type/level player.

He's also Congolese, and Wemby's dad is Congolese as well.

Just neither would be high on my list of takes.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
He won't sign with us because I'm sure he's gonna want to go to a team that's ready to compete right now, but I think FVV fits extremely well with what we're building. Veteran point guard, career 37% from 3, solid defensively, and can really facilitate for our young guys. If he were a couple years younger, he'd be the perfect fit because his timeline of his prime would match up better.
Ag Natural
AG
Sher Thing said:

Who is speculating on Keldons fit? Worst case scenario for him is a bench scoring option. The dude is a bundle of energy. A Jumbo Patty Mills.
Ag Natural
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Iowaggie said:

Sher Thing said:

Bulls; Lonzo Ball

Personally, I entertain the possibility of Poole, Simmons, or Ball, but that's it. Big fat No on the rest. Regarding the ones I would at least consider, Lonzo if healthy is the easiest choice considering the talent he brings. But that is a massive IF. Poole is next bc he brings points but it honestly would take more than your hypothetical IMO, but if you can get him for McBuckets and trash, why the hell not? We need a guy that could fill it out like he can. Simmons will always be an intriguing prospect. I guess I'm naive that if you can get someone like that for little real capital, why the hell not? The guy could use being out of the spotlight of a big market. And with his defensive length, it's very appealing

Hell no. Poole and Simmons are terrible for the locker room. Keep those guys on other teams. Ball is a great locker room guy but he may never play again. Major injury issues there.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Bulls offering Zach LaVine for #3.

I guess with the Ball injury, Chicago is ready to go into tank mode rather than overpay to keep Vuvucic.

Good time to offer my picks for Caruso deal. That top-10 protected pick is worthless if the Bulls finish bottom 5.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That blows. Hornets and Bulls picks long shots now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
On the bright side, we are drafting Victor freaking Wembanyama.
Guitarsoup
AG

So here are the moves I put out.

Bulls take Graham off our hands, give us Caruso and get their own 1st and our 2027 1st.

We take OG Anunoby for Branham, Toronto's first back, the protected Charlotte first, our 2025 first and our 2nd this year. That Boston pick is just a swap, and probably not that valuable.

Sign Dennis Smith to a small contract.
Sign Naz Reid just over the MLE
Sign Bruce Brown just over the MLE.

Still have a first round pick every year.

Center: Naz Reid/Zach Collins/ Bassey
PF: Wemby/Sochan/Dougie McBuckets
SF: OG Anunoby/ Keldon
SG: Vassell/ Bruce Brown
PG: Caruso/ Smith/ Wesley

We have depth. Keldon, Sochan, Collins, and Brown coming off the bench would probably be the best bench in the league.

We have lots of multi-position players:
Sochan C/PF/SF
Wemby, who knows
OG SG/S/PF
Keldon SG/SF/PF
Brown: PG/SG/SF
Caruso: PG/SG/SF
Vassell: PG/SG/SF

We have height and length. After Dennis Smith, Caruso is the shortest at 6'4.

We have 3pt shooting.
We have Championship experience. Maybe this year with Brown, plus Caruso and OG.
We have youth: Outside Doug, Caruso is the oldest at 28, then Brown at 26.
We have defense. Caruso was 1st team All-Defense. OG led the league in steals and was 2nd team. Vassell, Sochan, Brown, probably Wemby, and Reid are all good. Collins is a good rim defender. Dennis Smith is 95th percentile for deflections per minute played.
We have passing. Lots of very good to great passers.

Being that deep will allow us to let Wemby and Sochan develop at their own pace. Give them as much or as little as they and Pop think they can handle. As they develop into elite in a year or two, we have the team set.
superunknown
AG
Me, on these threads
Enzo The Baker
AG

Roasting Westbrook. Pinching Steven Adam's nipples. Now going after the king. This dude has no fear.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
He's our new more mentally stable Rodman
Earth Rider
AG
I think Fred Van Fleet might be a good free agent option point guard. Good defender, runs the floor well.

And please go after Khris Middleton. With him and a couple of others, we ae contending in a few years.

Guitarsoup
AG
Wyoming said:

I think Fred Van Fleet might be a good free agent option point guard. Good defender, runs the floor well.

And please go after Khris Middleton. With him and a couple of others, we ae contending in a few years.

Khris is way too old at this point
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol that would be an insanely lop sided trade for SA. They somehow get 2 young players without giving up anything of value other than their own 2025 pick.

Toronto would probably get more than 1 unprotected pick for OG (also they could theoretically get their pick back if they blew it up and traded away OG+Paskal by virtue of being a bottom 6 team for the next 3 seasons).
Sher Thing
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup bringing the 'RealGM' trade speculation part of the offseason to the board a little early this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.