*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

113,064 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
superunknown
AG
He's really good at this PR stuff.

Guitarsoup
AG
Cap went up $2mm to 136mm. Floor about 122mm
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yahoo reporting we are looking to package future firsts to move up and take Coulibaly. That would be a huge disappointment imo. Wasn't that impressed in the playoff games I saw. But what do I know. Hope it wouldn't just be a move to appease Victor.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yahoo reporting we are looking to package future firsts to move up and take Coulibaly. That would be a huge disappointment imo. Wasn't that impressed in the playoff games I saw. But what do I know. Hope it wouldn't just be a move to appease Victor.

Yeah I don't like the idea of moving future draft capital to move up for another wing player when we already have so many. If we already had a pick in the range he's projected to go, it wouldn't bother me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Give Atlanta back the Charlotte pick for #15 and take Bilal. They get out of a guarantee contract this year and we get Wemby's buddy.
Sher Thing
AG
I think it's just lazy reporting. Wemby and Bilal are buds on the same team so SA must be trying to get him. Blah.

I definitely think SA has higher prospects on their board. I think if Bilal fell to the late lottery the Spurs would have been interested but he's projected in the 9-12 range now.

As for getting rid of future draft capital for another first in this years draft. That is totally fine if the Spurs see a guy slip who they are confident in then they definitely should go get him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

As for getting rid of future draft capital for another first in this years draft. That is totally fine if the Spurs see a guy slip who they are confident in then they definitely should go get him.

Especially if the next two drafts are weak as expected.
FTAG 2000
AG
Uno mas....

Enzo The Baker
AG
Also, I can't remember the last time a pre-draft Spurs rumor came to fruition. We are one of the best teams at keeping things from leaking.
FTAG 2000
AG
Yep, these are all smokescreens.

I saw they even put out today through various mouthpieces that they want the Thompson twins and are trying to trade to get one of them.

It's all subterfuge.

Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think it's just lazy reporting. Wemby and Bilal are buds on the same team so SA must be trying to get him. Blah.

I definitely think SA has higher prospects on their board. I think if Bilal fell to the late lottery the Spurs would have been interested but he's projected in the 9-12 range now.

You also have to think the Charlotte pick will be either seconds or 15-20 next year.
Toronto will get pushed back or be 7-15 next year.
Spurs pick will likely be 12-20 next year.

The 24 draft is supposedly significantly weaker than this draft. So it would make sense to use future pics for 24 for the 23 draft.

The 25 draft is supposed to be deep again, so maybe we don't want to move those yet.

I think the main thing the Spurs want to do is keep from making an expensive mistake. So using future capital on a rookie wouldn't be an expensive mistake. Bringing in a guy like Paul George would be an expensive mistake.

And honestly, I think there are probably a lot of guys the Spurs like in this draft. There are about a dozen I really like and most pundits seem really high on the talent depth of the draft. Also, there are a ton of primary ball handlers and D&3 guys, two things we desperately need.

Just looking at teams with early-ish draft picks with bad contracts we would be willing to take (end in 1 year or second year 10mm or less)

Orlando #6&11: Jonathan Issac, Gary Harris
Wizards #8: Marcus Morris, Landry Schamet, Delon Wright, Galli
Mav: #10: Bertans, Bullock (but they are happy to eat the salary)
Toronto: #13: Chris Boucher
Miami: #18: Lowry, Dipo
Brooklyn: #21,22: Dinwiddie, Harris, Mills
Memphis: #25 Tyus Jones, Steven Adams
Charlotte: #2, 27: Gordon Hayward, Cody Martin
Clippers: #30: Batum, Gordon, RoCo

Not that these teams are trying to dump these players. Just whats out there.
Sher Thing
AG
I think pick 16,18,19 are possibilities to move up if someone the spurs like drops. Bufkin, Wallace, Hood-Schifino, etc. I think moving up to top 12 range will be too expensive.

Those are three guys I have my eyes on.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer
AG
Porzingis opting out I bet.
Guitarsoup
AG
But Boston is a solid landing place and I am sure they had an extension offer in there, too.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think pick 16,18,19 are possibilities to move up if someone the spurs like drops. Bufkin, Wallace, Hood-Schifino, etc. I think moving up to top 12 range will be too expensive.

Those are three guys I have my eyes on.
I think Orlando would move 11, especially if somehow some idiot team took Gradey Dick before 11.

11+ Jonathan Issac for Dougie+Charlotte's pick may work. Gets them off Issac's contract, gets them a solid veteran and they need shooting bad.
Guitarsoup
AG

Move up 10 spots and GSW's 24 pick for Smart doesn't seem like much
Enzo The Baker
AG
Damn. Hell of a trade for Memphis.
West Texan
AG
Hell of a trade for Boston. Acquire KP and two first round picks?! Meanwhile, Washington is getting the short end on all of their major trades…
Guitarsoup
AG
Washington got Tyus Jones for free. When Beal was traded, no way they kept Kristaps.

Muscala's contract isn't guaranteed and Galli will be easy to trade, and it is just 1y. Surprised they couldn't have added at least a second, but Tyus Jones is probably worth a first at the trade deadline.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Boston likely isn't done:
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Washington got Tyus Jones for free. When Beal was traded, no way they kept Kristaps.

Muscala's contract isn't guaranteed and Galli will be easy to trade, and it is just 1y. Surprised they couldn't have added at least a second, but Tyus Jones is probably worth a first at the trade deadline.

The team formerly known as the bullets have turned Beal and Porzingis into a handful of second rounders and some pick swaps with a team that's trying to win championships. For a team that just shifted into blow it up mode, future picks are what helps boost your rebuild. They may be able to turn Paul and Tyus Jones into some picks, but if I was a wizards fan, I'd be upset.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ya somehow Boston got the 3 best assets in this deal. I am curious how this affects their cap hell though. Are they planning on extending KP?
West Texan
AG
Happy Wemby Day Spurs fans!
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ya somehow Boston got the 3 best assets in this deal. I am curious how this affects their cap hell though. Are they planning on extending KP?
I am sure by getting him to opt in, they worked out an extension like when Chris Paul went to the Rockets.

Right now they have 10 guys and ~172mm, plus Grant Williams is a RFA.

Robert Williams is bit expendable (3y37mm, ~11.5mm this year).
They tried to move Brogdon, but if they did now, their only guards would be Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, and Payton Prichard. Prichard stays b/c he is super cheap. They picked up that late 1st rounder, so I can see them going combo or SG guard there. Sensabaugh from Ohio State? The Polish Austin Reaves that I like so much?

Next year the cap should go up a lot again, but it is gonna be crazy. Kristaps gets his extension, Jaylen Brown gets his extension, Payton Prichard is a RFA, Brogdon still at 22mm and White at 19mm. Plus Horford and Williams combine for another 21mm.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

The team formerly known as the bullets have turned Beal and Porzingis into a handful of second rounders and some pick swaps with a team that's trying to win championships. For a team that just shifted into blow it up mode, future picks are what helps boost your rebuild. They may be able to turn Paul and Tyus Jones into some picks, but if I was a wizards fan, I'd be upset.
They had no choice on Beal. Beal had a no trade clause.

Kristaps was a UFA or opt in and dictate the trade. Lose him for nothing or get Tyus for him. They didn't have any leverage with either player, because of the contracts.

It isn't like the Spurs having Derrick White under contract for 3+ years and DeJounte Murray for 2 years when we traded then for assets. We had control, Washington didn't. But Washington goes from a sub-.500 team with luxury tax problems to a team with max cap space, which has a lot of value when you are blowing it up. Creating all that room allows them to take back contracts for draft capital (like the Spurs did with Graham and Vonleh last year.)
Sher Thing
AG
I understand what Washington is doing but losing Hachimura, Beal, KP, and Kuzma all within the last six months without a first round pick to show for it is pretty wild.
Sher Thing
AG
Boston made out pretty well I think but they did lose a big locker room presence in Smart on a team which appeared to have some real chemistry issues. They are approaching cap hell so well see what they can fill the rest of the roster with.

Sure feels like Memphis gave up a lot for Smart.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

Boston made out pretty well I think but they did lose a big locker room presence in Smart on a team which appeared to have some real chemistry issues. They are approaching cap hell so well see what they can fill the rest of the roster with.

Sure feels like Memphis gave up a lot for Smart.

They were shopping Jones to begin with. He was essentially a back up PG playing a starting role. 2 Firsts for someone who was DPOY in the previous season on a very friendly contract is pretty good, especially when it moves them up a peg to a title contender IMO.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But **** Memphis and Boston. Let's get to the good stuff

Future teammates.

Sher Thing
AG
Here's a trade up wish list. Leaving out the guys who are set in stone to be Top 5-6 as I don't think there's a chance that happens:

1. Anthony Black
2. Kobe Bufkin
3. Jalen Hood-Schifino
4. Cason Wallace

2nd round guys that I like if available:

1. Jordan Walsh
2. Brandin Podziemski
3. Amari Bailey
4. Trayce Jackson Davis
5. Kobe Brown
superunknown
AG
West Texan
AG
Well we can officially rule out CP3 coming to San Antonio
Sher Thing
AG
GS gonna miss Poole's regular season contribution. Good luck with Curry/Paul staying healthy. Play in team as is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.