*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

111,656 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Natural said:

Some of yall clearly don't watch much NBA or have not paid any attention at all to the way the Spurs operate. With the style of offense and defense the Spurs want to play there are going to be specific types of players pursued.

So they Spurs don't want team-first All-Defense, great passing and shooting players?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Some of yall clearly don't watch much NBA or have not paid any attention at all to the way the Spurs operate. With the style of offense and defense the Spurs want to play there are going to be specific types of players pursued.

So they Spurs don't want team-first All-Defense, great passing and shooting players?

Some of the chatter is interesting. But when Brook Lopez and Grant Williams and Jordan Poole are brought up I just cringe.
superunknown
AG
West Texan
AG
superunknown said:

Not necessarily doubting it, but I've never heard of Barlowe.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Love the desire to add a PG, if we could somehow swing Amen Thompson or Anthony Black then we are gonna be one of the deadliest defensive units in the league in short order.
Guitarsoup
AG
I just think it's going to be too expensive to move into the top eight.
Ag Natural
AG
I can't think of a single NBA draft in the last 30 years where someone was able to trade UP into a top 10 pick from outside the lottery range. It just doesn't happen in the NBA.

A few years ago the Suns traded from 16 up to 10 and gave that 16th pick and a future first. So the price of just grabbing a high pick would probably be several future 1sts. I've just never seen anyone pull it off. It's almost like it has to be a team who just doesn't like anyone in the draft or is way above the cap and doesn't want to pay a 1st round rookie that season.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, doesn't happen much and it's usually stupid expensive

Ray Allen for #5

Deron Williams for #5 (Devin Harris)

Vlade for 13 (Kobe)

Georgie for 15 (Kawhi)

Battier for #8 (Ha! gayyyyyyyyy!)

Suns sold #7 for $3mm and a future first (Deng?)

Atl trades #3 for Shareef and 3 was Pau Gasol

Rockets traded three firsts to move up for Eddie Griffin

So yeah, most of the teams that did it that I can think of did it a long time ago.

superunknown
AG
Same but I've heard of Ty Jager and I don't remember if he had good info and therefore if I should trust it or not.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Yeah, doesn't happen much and it's usually stupid expensive

Ray Allen for #5

Deron Williams for #5 (Devin Harris)

Vlade for 13 (Kobe)

Georgie for 15 (Kawhi)

Battier for #8 (Ha! gayyyyyyyyy!)

Suns sold #7 for $3mm and a future first (Deng?)

Atl trades #3 for Shareef and 3 was Pau Gasol

Rockets traded three firsts to move up for Eddie Griffin

So yeah, most of the teams that did it that I can think of did it a long time ago.

Right. So history tells us the only way to get a high pick from nowhere is to trade a veteran player who is good. I also think a few of those cases It was a disgruntled player who kinda forced his way out.

Since we don't have any vets of that caliber. (Maybe Keldon could be compared to Hill). How bout a 3 teamer! Spurs could send a bunch of picks to GSW. Warriors send Draymond to Portland. Spurs get Portlands pick.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ray Allen and Deron were both disgruntled and pushed their way out.

I just don't see trading multiple picks for a guy that may or may not be a bust.

Even as good as the Spurs are, lots of boom or bust.

Wesley - who knows. Branham and Sochan look promising.

2021: Primo at 12 was a massive bust. Even before he whipped it out, guys like Trey Murphy, Sengun, and Herbert Jones were way more promising than Primo.

2020: Vassell is good, but he was picked one slot before Tyrese Haliburton. Tyrese Maxey and Desmond Bane were there, too.

2019: Luka Samanic at 19. Awful draft, but we stole Keldon at 29. Do that perfectly and take Keldon at 19 and Nic Claxton at 29 and that's a brilliant draft.

2018: Lonnie Walker. Again, bust.

17: White
16: DeJounte

Both great picks at 29.

2016: Nikola Milutinov. IDK who he is, but we used a 1st on him and he never played in the NBA. Larry Nance, Looney, Josh Richardson, etc all there.

2015: Kyle Anderson. Pretty solid pick, but a fat kid from Serbia was picked after him.

2014: Livio Jean-Charles. We even signed him to a contract and ate the contract before letting him play because he sucked so bad. Currently plays for Moscow.

Really not interest in giving up multiple picks for a crapshoot when we could use multiple picks and get a guy that is proven talent and fits the timeline. We have capspace and lots of assets.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ray Allen and Deron were both disgruntled and pushed their way out.

I just don't see trading multiple picks for a guy that may or may not be a bust.

Even as good as the Spurs are, lots of boom or bust.

Wesley - who knows. Branham and Sochan look promising.

2021: Primo at 12 was a massive bust. Even before he whipped it out, guys like Trey Murphy, Sengun, and Herbert Jones were way more promising than Primo.

2020: Vassell is good, but he was picked one slot before Tyrese Haliburton. Tyrese Maxey and Desmond Bane were there, too.

2019: Luka Samanic at 19. Awful draft, but we stole Keldon at 29. Do that perfectly and take Keldon at 19 and Nic Claxton at 29 and that's a brilliant draft.

2018: Lonnie Walker. Again, bust.

17: White
16: DeJounte

Both great picks at 29.

2016: Nikola Milutinov. IDK who he is, but we used a 1st on him and he never played in the NBA. Larry Nance, Looney, Josh Richardson, etc all there.

2015: Kyle Anderson. Pretty solid pick, but a fat kid from Serbia was picked after him.

2014: Livio Jean-Charles. We even signed him to a contract and ate the contract before letting him play because he sucked so bad. Currently plays for Moscow.

Really not interest in giving up multiple picks for a crapshoot when we could use multiple picks and get a guy that is proven talent and fits the timeline. We have capspace and lots of assets.

Well we haven't had a ton of "crap shoot" picks in the top 3.

Our only picks in the top 15 in my lifetime have been:
- Drob in "87 at 1
- Willie Anderson in "88 at 10
-- Sean Elliot in '89 at 3
- Duncan in '97 at 1
- Kawhi in '11 at 15
- Primo in '21 at 12
- Sochan in '22 at 9

And I disagree on Primo. I thought he show star potential in his rookie season. Either way, that's a pretty good track record with high picks. Way the hell better than a bunch of franchises who constantly have high picks.

All that being, I'm not in favor of a move like this. There's just a bunch of fans on Twitter theorizing.
Guitarsoup
AG
Primo was developing into a playmaker a bit, but he couldnt put the ball in the bucket and he turned it over all the time. Who knows what he would have been. But even as rookies, Trey and Herbert looked way better.

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Primo was developing into a playmaker a bit, but he couldnt put the ball in the bucket and he turned it over all the time. Who knows what he would have been. But even as rookies, Trey and Herbert looked way better.

I'm still pissed we didn't take Sengun that draft.
Guitarsoup
AG
Derrick White became the first player in NBA history to score 200 playoff points in one season on 50/45/95 shooting.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

I loved Sengun in that draft. But after watching him play he wasn't the right pick. He's not a championship player.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

I loved Sengun in that draft. But after watching him play he wasn't the right pick. He's not a championship player.

I think he could be a solid piece for a contending team, although I don't watch the rockets outside of playing the Spurs. In fairness to Sengun, the rockets are a dumpster fire of an organization with awful leadership and it's easy for all their young talent to lack direction.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

I can't think of a single NBA draft in the last 30 years where someone was able to trade UP into a top 10 pick from outside the lottery range. It just doesn't happen in the NBA.

A few years ago the Suns traded from 16 up to 10 and gave that 16th pick and a future first. So the price of just grabbing a high pick would probably be several future 1sts. I've just never seen anyone pull it off. It's almost like it has to be a team who just doesn't like anyone in the draft or is way above the cap and doesn't want to pay a 1st round rookie that season.

Yea it's definitely unlikely. But we do have the assets to trade into the late lottery if our guy is available. I'd hold onto the Atlanta picks at all costs though.
LawHall88
AG
Trade proposal from The Athletic:
Quote:

Rockets receive: Keldon Johnson

Spurs receive: The No. 4 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft and a 2025 first-round pick (top-3 protected)

Why Houston does this: At first glance, I'd have to think twice if the Rockets would be comfortable with Johnson taking up a third of their available cap space but considering this summer's available crop of wings, Johnson's age and his potential, I could see this phone call being placed. Johnson had the ball in his hands quite a bit in San Antonio but he showcased some legit off-ball potential at times and could be the answer at small forward for a Rockets team that frankly hasn't had one in years. Johnson's contract is front-loaded, meaning Houston's cap hit reduces with every year a valuable tool considering what the 2024 class and the looming TV deal could bring. The only drawback is his wingspan isn't great for his size and he didn't show much defensively last season but that might be more of San Antonio's general nastiness more so than his own ability and potential.

Law Murray: The San Antonio Spurs got Keldon Johnson as part of the Kawhi Leonard-DeMar DeRozan trade, sent by the Toronto Raptors in the 2018 offseason as a future first-round pick. That selection wound up being 29th overall in 2019. Johnson is a Spurs developmental success story, going from being a 2018 McDonald's All-American and one-and-done starter at Kentucky to a player who earned a four-year rookie scale extension last year. This past season, Johnson showed his full offensive game, averaging 22.0 points (5.2 free throw attempts per game), 2.9 assists (2.1 turnovers), and 2.1 3s while shooting 45.2/32.9/74.9.

Johnson's extension kicks in next season, the start of the Victor Wembanyama era. In this trade, the Spurs lose their leading scorer from their 60-loss team. But not only do they get to add another top-five pick to go with Wembanyama, they'll be betting on the Rockets to add to their first-round selections in two years as well, giving the Spurs another draft asset right as their rebuild should just about be over. As good as Johnson is now, there may be a higher ceiling for one of Scoot Henderson, Brandon Miller, Cam Whitmore, Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Taylor Hendricks, or Anthony Black. Whitmore, in particular, has a similar profile to Johnson when Johnson was draft eligible. The Spurs don't have to go the route of replacing Johnson with the Houston pick, however, and could improve their wing and playmaking with one of the Thompson twins or if Henderson or Miller unexpectedly drop to No. 4. Either way, I'm making this deal if I'm San Antonio.
https://theathletic.com/4550522/2023/05/25/rockets-nba-draft-pick-trade-2023/
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Quote:

Spurs receive: The No. 4 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft and a 2025 first-round pick (top-3 protected)

Why Houston does this: At first glance, I'd have to think twice if the Rockets would be comfortable with Johnson taking up a third of their available cap space but considering this summer's available crop of wings, Johnson's age and his potential, I could see this phone call being placed. Johnson had the ball in his hands quite a bit in San Antonio but he showcased some legit off-ball potential at times and could be the answer at small forward for a Rockets team that frankly hasn't had one in years. Johnson's contract is front-loaded, meaning Houston's cap hit reduces with every year a valuable tool considering what the 2024 class and the looming TV deal could bring. The only drawback is his wingspan isn't great for his size and he didn't show much defensively last season but that might be more of San Antonio's general nastiness more so than his own ability and potential.

Law Murray: The San Antonio Spurs got Keldon Johnson as part of the Kawhi Leonard-DeMar DeRozan trade, sent by the Toronto Raptors in the 2018 offseason as a future first-round pick. That selection wound up being 29th overall in 2019. Johnson is a Spurs developmental success story, going from being a 2018 McDonald's All-American and one-and-done starter at Kentucky to a player who earned a four-year rookie scale extension last year. This past season, Johnson showed his full offensive game, averaging 22.0 points (5.2 free throw attempts per game), 2.9 assists (2.1 turnovers), and 2.1 3s while shooting 45.2/32.9/74.9.

Johnson's extension kicks in next season, the start of the Victor Wembanyama era. In this trade, the Spurs lose their leading scorer from their 60-loss team. But not only do they get to add another top-five pick to go with Wembanyama, they'll be betting on the Rockets to add to their first-round selections in two years as well, giving the Spurs another draft asset right as their rebuild should just about be over. As good as Johnson is now, there may be a higher ceiling for one of Scoot Henderson, Brandon Miller, Cam Whitmore, Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Taylor Hendricks, or Anthony Black. Whitmore, in particular, has a similar profile to Johnson when Johnson was draft eligible. The Spurs don't have to go the route of replacing Johnson with the Houston pick, however, and could improve their wing and playmaking with one of the Thompson twins or if Henderson or Miller unexpectedly drop to No. 4. Either way, I'm making this deal if I'm San Antonio.
OKC controls the Rockets' pick from one of Daryl Morey's awful trades.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Quote:

OKC controls the Rockets' pick from one of Daryl Morey's awful trades.
I think the Rockets still have a pick, but it is tied up in some complicated pick swap deal involving OKC and Brooklyn; so, it likely wouldn't be a lottery pick.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
LawHall88 said:

Quote:

Would never happen, and I really like Keldon, but I do that deal in a heartbeat if somehow Scoot falls to 4. Of course, the Rockettes wouldn't do that deal of Scoot is there so, much like a cows opinion, the point is moo…
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

LawHall88 said:

Quote:

Would never happen, and I really like Keldon, but I do that deal in a heartbeat if somehow Scoot falls to 4. Of course, the Rockettes wouldn't do that deal of Scoot is there so, much like a cows opinion, the point is moo…

Scoots the only person I move Keldon for in this draft.
West Texan
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/so-how-do-the-spurs-go-about-building-around-victor-wembanyama-140950483.html

Good summary of all the directions we could potentially go, many of which we've discussed here.
M.C. Swag
AG
Why would Houston do that? They already have a log jam at the Forward position. They need a PG just as badly as SA.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
They're streaming Wembanyama's playoff game live right now on NBA.com for free
West Texan
AG

superunknown
AG
Quote:

What do you get the giant who has everything?

This quote absolutely warmed my cold (silver &) black heart.
Guitarsoup
AG
Please let Houston sign James Harden to a 4y200mm contract.

FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Please let Houston sign James Harden to a 4y200mm contract.

Now know why Lebron talked about retiring after they lost.
Guitarsoup
AG

Nice video breaking down Malaki Branham.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Man I'd really love to see us trade up for Cason Wallace and I think it's doable. We could have one of the deadliest defenses in the league with him, Wemby, and Sochan.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Man I'd really love to see us trade up for Cason Wallace and I think it's doable. We could have one of the deadliest defenses in the league with him, Wemby, and Sochan.
I just think that both Black and Wallace are gone at #9 and it would be so expensive to trade up to there, you could get a veteran that is proven for the same price.
Guitarsoup
AG

OUR SON DERRICK DOING GREAT THINGS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.