*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

113,895 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Adam87inSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Wyoming said:

I think Fred Van Fleet might be a good free agent option point guard. Good defender, runs the floor well.

And please go after Khris Middleton. With him and a couple of others, we ae contending in a few years.

Khris is way too old at this point

I agree, Soup.

Let's make a deal w Chicago instead for ACfresh21.
SamHou
Not that the Spurs would ever actually do it, but what trade offer for the #1 pick (Wemby) do you think the Spurs would seriously consider?
Guitarsoup
AG
SamHou said:

Not that the Spurs would ever actually do it, but what trade offer for the #1 pick (Wemby) do you think the Spurs would seriously consider?

Jokic, Michael Porter and Jamal Murray plus draft picks
superunknown
AG
Plus the Broncos play 1 game a year in the Alamodome.

SamHou
That seems fair. To make the salaries work, we would do a sign and trade with Bates-Diop where we give him a $94M raise and wish him well in Denver
LawHall88
AG
Sher Thing said:

Win-win for Pop. Gets the best prospect in 20 years plus an excuse to travel to France.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
What do y'all think it would take to grab Myles Turner off of Indianas hands?
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Give him the Vet Min
West Texan
AG
superunknown
AG
It's all so surreal
Earth Rider
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Wyoming said:

I think Fred Van Fleet might be a good free agent option point guard. Good defender, runs the floor well.

And please go after Khris Middleton. With him and a couple of others, we ae contending in a few years.

He's 31 and averaged 15 ppg last year. He's a solid vet, good for 3 or 4 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
Wyoming said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wyoming said:

He's 31 and averaged 15 ppg last year. He's a solid vet, good for 3 or 4 years.

If he wants to come cheap, ok. He turns 32 before the season starts.

But he only played 33 games this year and shot .315 from 3. He hasn't played 70 games in a season since 2019.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Do I have some good news for you guy!

From page 1!
Guitarsoup
AG

West Texan
AG

High hedge on the ball screen, recover and steal the pass, lead the break, hesitation dribble, and finish with a dunk.
LawHall88
AG
Game streaming live on NBA TV:
https://www.nba.com/watch/event/game-lnb-betclic-elite-boulonge-levallois-vs-cholet
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I'd rather target Brook if we are poaching Bucks players
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I'd rather target Brook if we are poaching Bucks players
Same. He's 35, but fits a bigger need and would be a great mentor and was 1st Team All-Defense and 2nd in DPOY voting this year.
jteagle
AG
One report said the Spurs might be able to get Ben Simmons for McDermott and a pick swap. That's pretty cheap for a former #1 overall pick and worth the gamble to see if a new location and coaching could turn him around.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

One report said the Spurs might be able to get Ben Simmons for McDermott and a pick swap. That's pretty cheap for a former #1 overall pick and worth the gamble to see if a new location and coaching could turn him around.
Simmons has like 2y79mm left. He would kill our cap flexibility for a guy that probably doesn't love basketball, seems to have a bad attitude, and put up 6p6rp6a last year.

If he wasn't such a black hole on offense, a guy that is 6'10 and can guard point guards would create crazy lineup mis matches.

Collins/Wemby/Sochan/Vassell/Simmons would be crazy
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Thought it might be fun to think through how we need to fill out the roster.

CENTER

On roster: Zach Collins (20ish mpg, expiring), Charles Bassey (spot minutes, 3 years left on deal), Khem Birch (Expiring and expendable)

To me this is our area of biggest need, we could really use a big other than Collins who can play starters minutes. Collins is too fragile to rely on as our only Wemby protection, even if our FO sees him as the guy at C.

Starting level FA targets: Brook Lopez, Jakob Poeltl, Naz Reid, Nikola Vucevic, Mason Plumlee
Trade targets I'd be eyeing: Myles Turner, Jonas Valanciunas, Steven Adams, Deandre Ayton, Mitchel Robinson, Rob Williams

I'd be putting the heat on Brook Lpez and Naz Reid. I also wouldn't hate taking Edey with one of our second rounders.

POWER FORWARD

On roster: Wemby (30ish minutes, on rookie deal), Sochan (30ish minutes, on rookie deal)

Sochan is gonna be playing lots of minutes at the 3 as well I'd imagine and even some at C and G. There's a need for another 4 but not necessarily someone who will play heavy minutes. McBuckets can spell some minutes here too. I vote to bring back KBD.

FA targets I like: KBD, Jeff Green, Torrey Craig
Trade targets: I wouldn't waste assets to trade for a 4.

SMALL FORWARD

On roster: Keldon Johnson (30ish minutes, multi year deal), Doug McDermott (10-15 minutes, expiring)

I think we have most of our rotation minutes already on roster here, but this would be a good place to maybe take another rookie to build up and take over Doug's minutes after this year.

FA targets: Lamar Stevens, bring back Julian Champaigne, Danny Green reunion
Trade targets:

SHOOTING GUARD

On roster: Devin Vassell (30ish minutes, extension eligible), Malaki Branham (15ish minutes, on rookie deal)

It might be good to get a vet in here but potentially you'd accomplish that with a Danny Green type. Could also run Langford back as he showed some good flashes on defense. Not a position I'd be looking to trade for, but honestly I would be open to moving Branham to hop back into the first round. If a guard spot opens up I'd love to see us make a really hard run at Bruce Brown.

FA targets: Bruce Brown, Matisse Thybulle, Donte Dicincenzo, Romeo Langford, Josh Okogie

POINT GUARD

On roster: Davonte Graham (Expiring and expendable), Blake Wesley (Not ready for guaranteed rotation minutes yet, on rookie deal)

We really need 2 PG's, this is the biggest need outside of a big. Priority number one is re-sign Tre Jones. I think he can be had for a reasonable number and is your long-term answer as the bench floor general. From here I think you could go a number of different directions but the smoke surrounding the team seems to be that they're trying to move back up to target a PG, and that's a direction I'm very cool with. Other than that, there are quite a few vet options on the FA market that I would be okay with bringing in for a year. Coby White could be an interesting younger option that we've been linked to before.

FA targets: Tre Jones, Gabe Vincent, Jevon Carter, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Corey Joseph reunion, Coby White

If I were the Spurs, I'd look to do the following in order of importance:
-Extend Devin Vassell asap
-Bring in a legit starting big
-Re-sign Tre Jones
-Move back into the first round to snag a rookie PG; see if Branham+33+44+next years CHA or TOR pick+maybe Wesley can move you high enough to maybe get someone like Anthony Black

This is how I'd have our roster coming into next season:

C: FA big, Zach, Bassey
PF: Wemby, Sochan, KBD
SF: Keldon, McDermott, Danny Green
SG: Vassell, FA or Branham, Langford
PG: Tre Jones, Rookie PG or FA PG, Wesley

I don't think we are going to be a playoff team next year unless we start moving off of our picks and taking a lot of risk in free agency, which we aren't going to do. We are likely still a year out from making a legit push for the playoffs.
Sher Thing
AG
Overall, I agree. I wouldn't mind the Spurs just re-signing Tre Jones and filling the roster with cheaper players. The Spurs priority isn't going to be winning big at this stage. This in some parts is the start of the re-build. It's going to be about letting the young players grow, seeing how they fit together and trying to figure out just how good they are.

Saying that, if they truly believe in a FA like Cam Johnson or something or another rookie, they have all the assets to go get him with all their cap space and future picks. Certainly will be interesting to watch.

The fact that they are still interviewing guys like Anthony Black, Cason Wallace, etc. is a little interesting.
TexAg1822
AG
I'm on the same flight as BW to Vegas this morning out of SA. Naturally I'm now curious as to what he could be up to
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

jteagle said:

Simmons has like 2y79mm left. He would kill our cap flexibility for a guy that probably doesn't love basketball, seems to have a bad attitude, and put up 6p6rp6a last year.

If he wasn't such a black hole on offense, a guy that is 6'10 and can guard point guards would create crazy lineup mis matches.

Seriously? We need to keep non competitive low character fools as far away from our young guys as possible. This build needs to be based on high character team oriented players. Ben Simmons has proven to be a selfish and lazy player. I don't care who his coach is. There's a saying, "when someone tells you who they are, believe them"
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

jteagle said:

Seriously? We need to keep non competitive low character fools as far away from our young guys as possible. This build needs to be based on high character team oriented players. Ben Simmons has proven to be a selfish and lazy player. I don't care who his coach is. There's a saying, "when someone tells you who they are, believe them"
Yeah, I wouldn't trade for him or let him clog up our roster, especially at his salary.

Defensively, that team would be insane, especially going from all-time awful defense.
superunknown
AG
TexAg1822 said:

I'm on the same flight as BW to Vegas this morning out of SA. Naturally I'm now curious as to what he could be up to

It's time to pony up and always bet on (silver &) black.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

CENTER

On roster: Zach Collins (20ish mpg, expiring), Charles Bassey (spot minutes, 3 years left on deal), Khem Birch (Expiring and expendable)

To me this is our area of biggest need, we could really use a big other than Collins who can play starters minutes. Collins is too fragile to rely on as our only Wemby protection, even if our FO sees him as the guy at C.

Starting level FA targets: Brook Lopez, Jakob Poeltl, Naz Reid, Nikola Vucevic, Mason Plumlee
Trade targets I'd be eyeing: Myles Turner, Jonas Valanciunas, Steven Adams, Deandre Ayton, Mitchel Robinson, Rob Williams

I'd be putting the heat on Brook Lpez and Naz Reid. I also wouldn't hate taking Edey with one of our second rounders.

Agree it is our biggest need. Naz Reid would easily be my #1 target.
Brook Lopez then Jakob would be 2a and 2b. Lopez is still a DPOY-level player, but is old as balls. Jakob does everything well and knows the team and culture and is a solid passer. Plus we have that Toronto pick and I think it makes Toronto blow up.
I'm also interested in Draymond Green here. Defense and Passing and a lot crazy.

Pellies aren't giving up Jonas and Memphis isn't giving up Adams.
I love Rob, but he is clearly very injury prone and I would prefer a center with more muscle on them.
Hard pass on Ayton right now. He's a kitten, has 3y100 left and said he defines success by getting the second contract.
Mitchell Robinson would be perfect if the Knicks go after KAT or Embiid.
Indiana just extended Turner, he's theirs.
Throw Mason Plumlee into the mix, too. Also because **** the Clippers.

Quote:

POWER FORWARD

On roster: Wemby (30ish minutes, on rookie deal), Sochan (30ish minutes, on rookie deal)

Sochan is gonna be playing lots of minutes at the 3 as well I'd imagine and even some at C and G. There's a need for another 4 but not necessarily someone who will play heavy minutes. McBuckets can spell some minutes here too. I vote to bring back KBD.

FA targets I like: KBD, Jeff Green, Torrey Craig
Trade targets: I wouldn't waste assets to trade for a 4.

I think Wemby plays 25mpg and misses 20 games.
Doug should be here as well. He's more of a stretch 4, imo.

Quote:

SMALL FORWARD

On roster: Keldon Johnson (30ish minutes, multi year deal), Doug McDermott (10-15 minutes, expiring)

I think we have most of our rotation minutes already on roster here, but this would be a good place to maybe take another rookie to build up and take over Doug's minutes after this year.

FA targets: Lamar Stevens, bring back Julian Champaigne, Danny Green reunion
Trade targets:

SHOOTING GUARD

On roster: Devin Vassell (30ish minutes, extension eligible), Malaki Branham (15ish minutes, on rookie deal)

It might be good to get a vet in here but potentially you'd accomplish that with a Danny Green type. Could also run Langford back as he showed some good flashes on defense. Not a position I'd be looking to trade for, but honestly I would be open to moving Branham to hop back into the first round. If a guard spot opens up I'd love to see us make a really hard run at Bruce Brown.

FA targets: Bruce Brown, Matisse Thybulle, Donte Dicincenzo, Romeo Langford, Josh Okogie

I lump in SG/SF as one big wing position.
Branham is absolutely going to get a lot of minutes. He averaged 28mpg from Feb 1-end of season and put up 14/4 on 46/32/85 shooting. Put him at 25mpg and Vassell/Keldon at 30mpg.

Bruce Brown is my #1 FA here. He can run the point as a backup, he plays defense, makes 3s, rebounds great, will match up on anyone and he will probably be coming of a title with the Nuggets.
I like Donte DiV as a D&3 wing, as well, but would rather one with more height.
If Toronto blows up, you have to target OG Anunoby with some of those picks.
Thybulle would be an end of bench wing just for defensive situations.
No interest in Romeo or Okogie.

I like Josh Hart as a D&3 wing. Great rebounder, good defender, plays bigger than his size.
I would take Khris Middleton if he was cheap, but worried about committing too much money to him with his injury issues and age.

There is also Austin Reaves. LA matches anything, but I wouldn't mind putting them on the hot seat.

If teams shy away from Caris LaVert, i would pull him on a smaller/shorter deal.
Josh Richardson, if NOLA doesn't keep him.
Nickeil Alexander-Walker from Minnesota.
For a veteran bench guy, Joe Ingles
I would bring in Danny Green for the min.

Brooklyn would trade Royce ONeale for a pick, and I like his fit with us. Send them the Charlotte pick.

Quote:

POINT GUARD

On roster: Davonte Graham (Expiring and expendable), Blake Wesley (Not ready for guaranteed rotation minutes yet, on rookie deal)

We really need 2 PG's, this is the biggest need outside of a big. Priority number one is re-sign Tre Jones. I think he can be had for a reasonable number and is your long-term answer as the bench floor general. From here I think you could go a number of different directions but the smoke surrounding the team seems to be that they're trying to move back up to target a PG, and that's a direction I'm very cool with. Other than that, there are quite a few vet options on the FA market that I would be okay with bringing in for a year. Coby White could be an interesting younger option that we've been linked to before.

FA targets: Tre Jones, Gabe Vincent, Jevon Carter, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Corey Joseph reunion, Coby White

I don't think Tre Jones resigning is a priority, but replacing him is. He's a career backup and is not good a defense and teams don't have to respect his shot.

No ****ing way do I want Russ or Rose.
Jevon Carter would be a great upgrade from Jones as a backup. D and 3 point. Just a little undersized.
Gabe Vincent looked great last night. Solid on-ball defender with inconsistent shot.
Dennis Smith Jr had a really solid season for Charlotte.
For a veteran presence, look at bringing back Georgie Hill.

----------------

Also worth looking at what teams will implode.
Phoenix might waive Paul.
Chicago is trying to trade LaVine for #3, and if they are blowing it up, I would try to get Caruso.

Quote:

If I were the Spurs, I'd look to do the following in order of importance:
-Extend Devin Vassell asap
-Bring in a legit starting big
-Re-sign Tre Jones
-Move back into the first round to snag a rookie PG; see if Branham+33+44+next years CHA or TOR pick+maybe Wesley can move you high enough to maybe get someone like Anthony Black

This is how I'd have our roster coming into next season:

C: FA big, Zach, Bassey
PF: Wemby, Sochan, KBD
SF: Keldon, McDermott, Danny Green
SG: Vassell, FA or Branham, Langford
PG: Tre Jones, Rookie PG or FA PG, Wesley

I don't think we are going to be a playoff team next year unless we start moving off of our picks and taking a lot of risk in free agency, which we aren't going to do. We are likely still a year out from making a legit push for the playoffs.

I don't think Tre has all that much value, but keep him if h is cheap enough. But I think there are better options out there that could improve defense or shooting.

I think the priorities are starting center, starting point, defense all over, but D&3 wing would be great.

I also think you need to look at what teams could blow it up this summer.

Atlanta: They won't win with Trae and they are in luxury tax hell, but other than DeJounte or Capela, there is no one I really want to loot from them.
Brooklyn: They aren't blowing it up but they have both Royce ONeale and DFS at D&3 wing. I prefer ONeale his much superior passing.
Boston: Gonna be lots of hard decisions after being swept by the #8 team. Derrick White and Marcus Smart are the jewel role players there, but both will be overly expensive.
Chicago: Lonzo may be done forever. They are trying to trade their best player for the #3 pick. I would love to loot Caruso.
Dallas doesn't really have anything I want other than Luka.
Denver just has cap issues, which is why we could probably get Bruce Brown from them.
Golden State: I would love to sign Donte DiV, and if you could get Kuminga cheap, take him.
Houston: Tari Eason is the only Rockets player I really like.
LAL: Mo Bamba's salary isn't guaranteed. If they cut him to pay Reaves, he could be a good min or low contract.
MIlwaukee: They have Lopez, Ingles, Carter, and Middleton as FAs. I like all those guys. Or trade all the picks for Giannis and have Giannis and Wemby.
Minnesota: NAW, Reid are FAs. They gotta blow up the team, because they ****ed themselves with the Gobert trade (and you couuldn't pay me to take Gobert)
NYKNicks: I think they wheel and deal this summer. Embiid, Donovoan Mitchell, and KAT have all been linked to them. I'll take Mitchell Robinson or Hartenstein off their hands. I like Quickley, too.
76ers: I will be interest in seeing Philly blow up. Harden to Houston would be awful for both teams, so gotta cheer for that as a Spurs fan. Melton or McDaniels are the players I like the most there. I would give Paul Reed a shot at 3rd string PF for a tiny contract.
Phoenix: Maybe Okogie, but his offense is so bad. I would take Paul cheap if he was cut, but meh. I don't think I would take Ayton unless he was just free.
Toronto: I would love Jakob and OG on our team. No interest in Trent, FVV, or Pascal.
Ag Natural
AG
Ben Simmons is completely washed at this point. Having a guy like that on your team making that much money does way more harm than good. Honestly, the only way the Spurs trade for him is if the Nets send over multiple picks and even then the Spurs would just waive him and eat the salary. Maybe it helps get to the salary cap floor. Of course, the dumb Nets don't have any picks to begin with.

Brook Lopez being a DPOY candidate is also a joke. His numbers were good but Milwaukee was basically planting him in the paint and never changing from that. It lost them the series against Miami and got Bud fired. The Spurs are clearly building with two-way players who can guard multiple positions. Brook isn't that. Besides, centers are the cheapest position in the league right now. It'd be dump to fork out big money for one.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
It would be way dumber to not fix the hole at Center and get Wembanyama broken in half because he's the only player on the team that can guard starting Centers, other than maybe Zach Collins who is made of tissue paper.
Ag Natural
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

It would be way dumber to not fix the hole at Center and get Wembanyama broken in half because he's the only player on the team that can guard starting Centers, other than maybe Zach Collins who is made of tissue paper.
Zach is option one. He seems to be past his injury issues now. Pop already said he's probably our starting center next season. Bassey also looked promising before he got injured. It really isn't practical to carry more than two centers on the roster.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Zach is option one. He seems to be past his injury issues now. Pop already said he's probably our starting center next season. Bassey also looked promising before he got injured. It really isn't practical to carry more than two centers on the roster.

Pop isn't going to say "we are going to get a starting center because Zach sucks "

I also think it's foolish to say any 7' guy i from the Blazers is past his broken foot issues.

We need two guys, Collins is great in the 20-25mpg role. Reid would be a great compliment

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.