Will it take off?

250,647 Views | 1027 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by toucan82
tlepoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can also buy you beer...oh yeh
swimmerbabe11

--------------------------------------------------------
I'm legal... but you are a moran looser.
blacksmith21
AG
Everyone is talking about the wheels and friction and yada, yada, yada. MKF's skateboard analogy makes sense. I agree that because of the propulsion of the turbines the airplane will still move forward because the wheels are essentially irrelavant.

However, I don't get how the plane would still be able to pull enough speed to get enough airflow to lift it off of the ground. Quite the conundrum.
videoag98
AG
Assuming the runway is eleventybillion miles long and the friction from the wheels is nothing and they are super duper wheels and wont burn up then eventually the plane will get enough speed and take off.
jeepwranglin01
AG
the anwser is 23
IIIHorn
Folks, the conveyor belt is moot.

The conveyor belt has no more effect on the plane than a normal landing strip as long as the wheels are able to turn. At first the plane may move slightly backwards as the friction on the wheel bearings is over come but beyond that there is no difference between taking off from a conveyor belt or a normal landing strip.

The plane will fly.

Unless of course the pilot is distracted by the smell of one of Tiny's co-workers that just had an accident.
mae1778a
quote:
A plane is standing on a movable runway(something like a conveyor) As the plane moves, the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction

What part of that scenario makes you think the plane will move forward? It states that the conveyor moves in the opposite direction and matches the speed of the plane. Sounds like it's stationary to me.
spadilly
S
lets get mythbusters on it
mae1778a
http://forums.di.fm/printthread.php?t=92585&pp=100

Ah, 700+ posts later, these guys are still arguing about it. Please don't let this happen to the GB.
videoag98
AG
I believe it can fly
I believe it can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day etc.
aTmAg
AG
Put it this way… if the airflow doesn’t matter then why have wings at all? Without wings, you now basically have a car in neutral on a conveyor belt. Would that ever take off?
IIIHorn
The only thing the conveyor belt does is turn the plane wheels backward.

The tangential velocity of the wheels will result from two factors, the speed of the conveyor belt and the forward progress of the plane.

The only thing that will happen before take off due to the conveyor belt is that the plane wheels will be rotating faster.

The plane will fly.

Unless of course the pilot has loaded the plane down with too many emergency supplies in panic over the recent cold front.
aTmAg
AG
I thought the premise was that the plane would never move forward. If the plane does move forward then it will be a normal takeoff with faster spinning wheels.
IIIHorn
The only thing that would keep the plane from moving forward is if the wheels are locked and not able to rotate.

The wheels are NOT providing the propulsion.
aTmAg
AG
Or friction....
mae1778a
quote:
The only thing that will happen before take off due to the conveyor belt is that the plane wheels will be rotating faster.

The plane will fly.

I don't see how you can say both of those sentences in the same post. The conveyor belt matches the tangential velocity of the wheels, therefore, the plane does not move forward and the plane does not fly.
IIIHorn
Again ...

The wheels are NOT providing the propulsion.

[This message has been edited by IIIHorn (edited 11/30/2006 10:50a).]
mae1778a
And? Are you suggesting that a sail boat on wheels on a conveyor belt will move forward because the wheels aren't providing the thrust?

I take the premise to mean that the belt will increase (i.e. match) the speed of the wheels.

If your point of the wheels not providing the propolsion is to say that the engine will create a situation where the wheels are no longer rolling without slipping, then yeah, I agree with you, the wheels are inconsequential.

[This message has been edited by mae1778a (edited 11/30/2006 10:54a).]
IIIHorn
You are attempting to equate the conveyor belt with a head wind.
Goose
AG
I still don't see how the wheels would ever have enough traction for the plane to take off.
IIIHorn
Goose ...

Yer killin' me.
toucan82
nerds
IIIHorn
SHUT UP TOUCAN!
mae1778a
Actually, I'm equating the conveyor to a treadmill on frictionless bearings without a motor and assuming the wheels stay in a rolling without slipping condition.

[This message has been edited by mae1778a (edited 11/30/2006 10:58a).]
Goose
AG
What if a toucan was jogging on a treadmill and extended its wings...oh, nevermind.
IIIHorn
Then Toucan would be moot?
toucan82
Is this supposed toucan massless?
aTmAg
AG
I thought the original premise was that the plane was to be stationary, and that the runway would be moving at 150 knots (or whatever) under it. In that case the plane will not take off.

If the plane is allowed to move forward (using it’s prop or jet), then the only thing keeping it from taking off is if the additional friction from the wheels turning twice as fast keeps the plane from reaching its take off airspeed before it runs off the end of the conveyor belt, killing everybody (including children and pets) on board.
IIIHorn
Toucan: Not if you plan to kilogram cracker.

Folks,

The conveyor belt is not going to prevent the plane from moving forward. It's wheels are just going to rotate faster.

duh ...

[This message has been edited by IIIHorn (edited 11/30/2006 11:06a).]
wunderbrad01
AG

I HATE THIS F-IN TOPIC!!!!!!!

wunderbrad01
AG

wunderbrad01
AG

wunderbrad01
AG

wunderbrad01
AG

wunderbrad01
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.