Will it take off?

250,605 Views | 1027 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by toucan82
wunderbrad01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wheels are not the driving force of the plane. The jet engines are what pulls the plane. The plane will move whether the conveyor is going or not. Therefore, it is not possible for the conveyor to go as fast as the wheels, If it did go as fast as the wheels, there would be an incredible drag/friction between the two. The plane would crash before takeoff. And the answer is NO, the plane would not take off.
swimmerbabe11
you see what they could do, is put a bunch o' bees under the wings, and have flowers above the bee's heads, then the thrust of the bees movement upwards towards the flowers would cause the plan to fly, undoubtably.
swimmerbabe11
oh yeah and..

--------------------------------------------------------
I'm legal... but you are a moran looser.
IIIHorn
Other than friction across the bearings of the wheels the plane has no idea whether it is on a conveyor belt or not. The plane will take off and will not crash unless due to other factors such as pilot error.

The conveyor belt is moot since the wheels are not providing the propulsion.
IIIHorn
However, if the pilot is distracted due to USC cheerleaders or eating Ramen noodles the plane might just crash.

That is all ...

[This message has been edited by IIIHorn (edited 11/29/2006 5:29p).]
videoag98
AG
oh no. now ive gone crosseyed.
(Crosseyed emoticon)
TexAg115
AG
This is of course a ficticous scenario. If the conveyor belt and wheels could be kept in sync, the plane will not take off, it will be stationary.

Anyone who thinks a stationary plane will take off is an idiot. That is all.
13wins
AG
quote:
Other than friction across the bearings of the wheels the plane has no idea whether it is on a conveyor belt or not. The plane will take off and will not crash unless due to other factors such as pilot error.

The conveyor belt is moot since the wheels are not providing the propulsion.

The wheels are not providing the propulsion. However, if the conveyor and the wheels are moving in opposite directions at an equal rate, the plane would never gain airspeed. Thus, the wings would never provide the lift necessary for takeoff. I don't see how the plane can move forward in this scenario. What am I missing?
wunderbrad01
AG
The plane will move. No doubt. But the conveyor cannot keep up with the speed of the tires. The conveyor trying to keep up will burn out the tires long before the plane reaches the speed needed to take off. This will cause the plane to crash. The plane does not take off.

End of story.
13wins
AG
The original statement says...

quote:
As the plane moves, the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction.

Simply put, if the plane doesn't physically move forward, which the above statement implies does NOT happen, the plane isn't leaving the ground.

[This message has been edited by 13wins (edited 11/29/2006 5:45p).]
tlepoC
AG
the above statement implies that but the conveyor doesnt keep the plane from moving forward. If you want to talk about friction in the bearings of the wheels that will cause them to burn up (which is obviously missing the point of the question) then you would be correct that the tires would fail...but since that isnt the point, the plane would take off. Anybody that thinks the conveyor belt keeps the plane from moving forward is an idiot.
videoag98
AG
The plane will fly! The wheels don't make the plane go! They just sit there casters and the engine thrust will pull the plane forward. The wheels will spin like crazy, but the plane will move forward and take off theoretically. End of discussion. The plane flys.

tia
stfu
hth
BradC34
AG
I started to read this... I got bored...
MonkeyKnifeFighter
If you need help visualizing the situation, think about this.

Put a skateboard on a treadmill.
Tie a rope to an object in front of the treadmill.
Stand on the skateboard.
Turn the treadmill on while holding the rope - hell you can make it go 100 mph.
Pull yourself forward using the rope, towards the front of the treadmill.
Guess what? You go forward!

The pull of the rope is the external force of the air through the turbines. It is "pulling" on the air like you'd be pulling on the rope. Like we've all said, the wheels are completely independent of the system.
NoACDamnit
quote:
the wheels are completely independent of the system.

In a world without friction you'd be correct.

Since there IS friction and we're dealing with a magic treadmill that can match any speed (MATCH, not REACT to) the plane will not move forward.
AggieOO
it doesn't matter, once the plane hits 88 mph, that ***** is going back in time.

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 11/29/2006 7:15p).]
BradC34
AG
If the conveyor belt can match the speed of the aircraft, does it not also match the true air speed of the craft?
WC87
AG
If the plane can move forward, Yes.

If it cannot (the treadmill moving the opposite direction keeps the plane absolutely stationary) No.

tlepoC
AG
some of the people arguing about the wheels understand the situation but then there are some (like sloag10) that still dont understand and are making themselves look like stupid freshmen
NoACDamnit
quote:

some of the people arguing about the wheels understand the situation but then there are some (like sloag10) that still dont understand and are making themselves look like stupid freshmen

Are these frictionless wheels? If so, yes the plane takes off, but the question says nothing about the wheels. If there IS friction in them the treadmill can apply enough friction to have the plane remain stationary.
mae1778a
Will not take off unless you have sufficient air speed. If the plane is stationary, the wheels are just spinning and there isn't a sufficient delta P over the wing to produce the upward thrust. Now, if you were to lock the wheels and reverse the conveyor belt, then you would have something akin to the catapult system on an aircraft carrier and the plane could definitely take off.
KyleJ2012
AG
quote:
AggieOO
posted 7:01p, 11/29/06

it doesn't matter, once the plane hits 88 mph, there ***** is going back in time.

haha

i dont have anything to add to this conversation because i have never taken a physics class in my life...
mae1778a
quote:
i dont have anything to add to this conversation because i have never taken a physics class in my life...

Not exactly breaking news after seeing your latest video.
swimmerbabe11
I thought that my bee theory was quite stunning
BradC34
AG
I think the real question is... does a bear take a crap in the woods?
mae1778a
What are you going to do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at you?
swimmerbabe11
dogs can't fly.
AggieOO
applause for mae!
tlepoC
AG
hey swimmer babe...you wanna date a cool 5th year senior when you come to A&M...oh baby
mae1778a

Says you.

Edit: Hmmmmmmm....

[This message has been edited by mae1778a (edited 11/29/2006 7:43p).]
swimmerbabe11
copelt...you are random

mae...you may suck at the interweb, but maybe, if there were enough bees in the dogs mouth, they could lift the dog to the top of the wings, therefore giving it the boost to fly!
tlepoC
AG
oohhhh so you like randomness? IM IN!
videoag98
AG
With sufficient thrust Pigs CAN fly just fine.
aTmAg
AG
Surely this entire thread is a troll.
swimmerbabe11
can they maintain flight???

and I am probably the most random person you are able to meet without going to an insane asylum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.