Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Basketball

Reed Resurgence: Rowdiness returns as Aggies surge through the SEC

February 15, 2023
11,021

Rowdy Reed is back!

Reed Arena’s thrilling atmosphere has been palpable this season, and one can't help but wonder about the home-court advantage the Aggies have gained from their eight-game home winning streak.

Texas A&M’s stretch of Florida, Vanderbilt and Georgia marked the first time in seven years Reed has seen three-straight 12,000-plus crowds.

Despite an early 6 p.m. tip-off last Tuesday, 10,248 fans packed Reed in an 83-78 win over Auburn.

Though, the rockin' Reed seen and heard this season is different than before.

“It was just a shell,” Logan Lee said, former A&M basketball player from 2004-07 that blossomed into a TexAgs stalwart. “There wasn't anything in Reed. It was like a cave. Our first handful of games, we didn't have a huge fan base, maybe about 1,000.”

Reflecting the shell-like atmosphere of Reed, the stands were just as bare. But as the years went on, the crowds began to come.

Reed’s current atmosphere is comparable to the loyal followings of some of the most celebrated programs in the nation.

Students proudly wave signs, memes and fatheads of players. They cheer and hiss with almost equal fervor. A handful of the most faithful don turkey hats in honor of A&M coach Buzz Williams’ expression for earning three consecutive defensive stops.

The old tradition of reading copies of The Battalion while opponents’ starting lineups are announced has also been revived.

“Winning is obviously the biggest help, but once people see how fun it is and how rowdy we can make the environment, I think that is what makes them want to come.”
- Reed Rowdies VP Kevin Cowell

They may look like enthusiastic mothers, but most of those students are official members of the Reed Rowdies.

The Aggie spirit isn’t confined to the football field, and the Reed Rowdies are playing their part in making sure the 12th Man is well-known and heard.

The Rowdies have been around since 2000. This season, perhaps more than ever, their voice — as well as their appearance — is growing.

“Winning is obviously the biggest help, but once people see how fun it is and how rowdy we can make the environment, I think that is what makes them want to come,” Reed Rowdies vice president Kevin Cowell said.

Lee has seen a lot of basketball during his time in Aggieland, and even he agreed that the consistency of this year's team has reflected greatly in the numbers in the stands.

“Before this year, for the last seven or eight years, A&M has had a good spurt, and they've done well, and as soon as they did, they would have a home game and lose pretty badly,” Lee said. “The reason fans are fans is because they take ownership in the success and the failures of the team's performance. When you go to Reed Arena, and you see a loss, you feel as if you have failed, and you don't want to go back to that.”

But that was the past. With Texas A&M currently boasting a 12-1 home record this season, Reed is alive.

“When you go to Reed and you're yelling your tail off and they do get a win, you feel accountable,” Lee said. “As if you have done something for them. Now, you want to go back and help them again. You are part of it.”

The consistency of a winning Aggie team — especially on their home court — has the 12th Man showing up in droves.

“It’s an event to go to the games,” Reed Rowdies president Sam Toeniskoetter said.

The Aggies have certainly had an interesting season. After a disappointing non-conference showing, they’ve put together a program-best 10-2 start in SEC play. With the stakes of their season amping up, the team’s success could lead to to a new attendance record at Reed.

Last January, 14,036 fans showed up to Reed to see A&M battle Kentucky. The Reed Rowdies are determined to break that this season.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
In “white out” conditions last year, Reed welcomed a record attendance of 14,036 to see A&M take on Kentucky, a figure the Reed Rowdies hope to break very soon.

“People want to break the attendance record,” former student George Kopf said. “It just might happen with Tennessee.

“Because we are right by the yell leaders, it's really cool that we can work with them. They understand what it takes to get the crowds involved and to make an advantage on the home court.”

During his time as a student, Kopf was an active member of the Reed Rowdies and does not regret a single second he spent inside the Aggies’ home gym.

“You are going to remember standing and yelling until your throat goes away and watching the Aggies win. You're going to remember that,” said Kopf. “You're not going to remember that test you had to take the next morning.”

After last week’s win over Auburn, Buzz Williams noted how special the support of the 12th Man has been this season.

“We are so thankful for the crowd that we've had the last four games,” Williams said postgame. “We don't win against Vanderbilt if we don't have the crowd that we had in the second half, and we for sure don't win tonight.

“I think the ambiance of Reed Arena has been trending in the right direction.”

Being a part of the tradition is as Texas A&M as can be, and the atmosphere at Reed this season reflects that.

“It's almost like a brand,” Kopf said. “If you can create a brand where you wear white, rock Reed and become a part of the home court advantage… It's golden.”

With Texas A&M knocking on the door of the NCAA Tournament, Wednesday night's home game against Arkansas represents another major test for Williams & Co.

It’s also another chance to extend a lengthy home winning streak.

“I think the crowd really does help with the home court advantage and the energy that is brought by the student section,” Toeniskoetter said. “We can feed them, give them more energy to keep fighting on every possession.”

One can be sure that the Reed Rowdies and entire 12th Man will be there, bringing the energy as well as the Aggie spirit to help the Maroon & White defend their home floor.

Get to Reed. Keep it rocking.

Discussion from...

Reed Resurgence: Rowdiness returns as Aggies surge through the SEC

7,995 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sterling82
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The old tradition of reading copies of The Battalion while opponents' starting lineups are announced has also been revived.
I thought I had heard that the Batt was ordered to go online-only. Is that not the case?
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The newspaper thing was copied from Duke, and I really doubt it affects the opponent.

Just like the BTHO yell over and over....opponent can't hear it, and if they do just pisses them off...
so, how does that help? Best to do the yells that support our team in a positive way! Tired of seeing horns down more than thumbs up gig'em!

rant over
Townend87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm campaigning for the return of the Holler House on the Brazos label. If you don't know about it, ask an old.
aeon-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag72 said:

I'm campaigning for the return of the Holler House on the Brazos label. If you don't know about it, ask an old.
It will never be the HOLLER HOUSE, as Keith Jackson gave it the label.THE HOLLER HOUSE ON THE BRAZOS.
citizenkane06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Papa Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SA-AG72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Great video. Phys Ed classes had to run the bleachers and totally wiped me out.
fatdad84ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't believe I saw The Commodores (band, not Vandy) there in 1981.
DOG XO 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fatdad84ag said:

Can't believe I saw The Commodores (band, not Vandy) there in 1981.
I was there. Think i saw Cheap Trick same year. Unless Lionel came 2 yrs in a row.

Just had an old man flashback about G Rollie. I'm marching to chow in front of Duncan and Arkansas cheerleaders are observing as guests. A senior tasked me with bringing one to our tables (family style back then) and don't return without one. I saluted , broke formation and found the prettiest brunette i'd ever seen in red cheerleader uniform across from bugle stand. The head yell leader ordered me to stand down but my orders were clear.

Stand-off ensued until she grabbed my hand. Her on my arm, I waltzed into Duncan on top of the world. Sat with outfit (senior privileges meant i could eat like a human). Strutted down quad with this super model looking gal on my arm. Walked her to the Gym. She gave me a surprisingly good kiss goodbye.

I may be mixing up the years on this part but i think we had a freshmen names Reggie Roberts who could FLY when he dunked. The Yell boys even had a yell just for him. When he dunked they'd do the dunking motion and erryone would humpit to "dunk it ,Reggie". Sorry for old man rant. just forgot about that for at least 20 yrs.
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wish we couldve kept G Rollie....it was just as nice as Phog and Cameron Indoor ....just with less banners
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Quote:

txag72 said:
I'm campaigning for the return of the Holler House on the Brazos label. If you don't know about it, ask an old.
It will never be the HOLLER HOUSE, as Keith Jackson gave it the label.THE HOLLER HOUSE ON THE BRAZOS.
And why not? The students are making Reed as intimidating as G Rollie ever was. We don't get out scored and we don't change our traditions. It just moved across the tracks. I saw my first game at G Rollie in the early '60's. Even saw Randy Matson play basketball. I can christen Reed if I want to.
LatinAggie1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe Wilbert.
Sterling82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cs69ag said:

The newspaper thing was copied from Duke, and I really doubt it affects the opponent.

Just like the BTHO yell over and over....opponent can't hear it, and if they do just pisses them off...
so, how does that help? Best to do the yells that support our team in a positive way! Tired of seeing horns down more than thumbs up gig'em!

rant over

I'm curious about the newspaper bit being stolen from Duke. When did they start that. I'm not a savant when it comes to duke basketball but I thought the Cameron crazies were circa late 70s early 80s.
fatdad84ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sterling82 said:

cs69ag said:

The newspaper thing was copied from Duke, and I really doubt it affects the opponent.

Just like the BTHO yell over and over....opponent can't hear it, and if they do just pisses them off...
so, how does that help? Best to do the yells that support our team in a positive way! Tired of seeing horns down more than thumbs up gig'em!

rant over

I'm curious about the newspaper bit being stolen from Duke. When did they start that. I'm not a savant when it comes to duke basketball but I thought the Cameron crazies were circa late 70s early 80s.
We were doing it in the early 80's as one of my roomies and myself were part of the crew that would grab stacks of the Bat to bring to the games. My son also did it as part of the Rowdies from 2011-2015.
AgFlags74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our terrific Aggie men's basketball team goes big-game hunting yet again, ready to nail this season's 6th Tiger skin on the wall! Team buses leave Reed today (Fri.) at 5:45 PM sharp to get to Easterwood. Meet at the loading dock entry of Reed (Southwest "corner" of the arena). Don't forget: there will be LOTS of traffic on campus with baseball game starting at 6 PM plus the usual "rush hour" gridlock in the area. Hope to see you there!!!

Gig 'em, Aggies!!! BTHO Mizzou!!!
AgFlags74 - College Station TX
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fatdad84ag said:

Sterling82 said:

cs69ag said:

The newspaper thing was copied from Duke, and I really doubt it affects the opponent.

Just like the BTHO yell over and over....opponent can't hear it, and if they do just pisses them off...
so, how does that help? Best to do the yells that support our team in a positive way! Tired of seeing horns down more than thumbs up gig'em!

rant over

I'm curious about the newspaper bit being stolen from Duke. When did they start that. I'm not a savant when it comes to duke basketball but I thought the Cameron crazies were circa late 70s early 80s.
We were doing it in the early 80's as one of my roomies and myself were part of the crew that would grab stacks of the Bat to bring to the games. My son also did it as part of the Rowdies from 2011-2015.
We did it from '93-'96 when I was in school.
Sterling82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Know Your Enemy said:

fatdad84ag said:

Sterling82 said:

cs69ag said:

The newspaper thing was copied from Duke, and I really doubt it affects the opponent.

Just like the BTHO yell over and over....opponent can't hear it, and if they do just pisses them off...
so, how does that help? Best to do the yells that support our team in a positive way! Tired of seeing horns down more than thumbs up gig'em!

rant over

I'm curious about the newspaper bit being stolen from Duke. When did they start that. I'm not a savant when it comes to duke basketball but I thought the Cameron crazies were circa late 70s early 80s.
We were doing it in the early 80's as one of my roomies and myself were part of the crew that would grab stacks of the Bat to bring to the games. My son also did it as part of the Rowdies from 2011-2015.
We did it from '93-'96 when I was in school.

I'm pretty sure it was being done in the late 70s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.