LB Recruiting

22,990 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Leeman
FtBendTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be fair, Claiborne committed aggravated robbery. He ran himself off.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
The TD Moton situation is a prime example of why we need to actually over recruit for the defensive front 7.

We cannot afford to go back to the Mike Sherman days of not being able to get DT's in school.

I understand your point, but one of the positions we have plenty of depth at is DT. If Moton doesn't get in until the summer, no big deal. If he doesn't get in at all, then yea bummer, but not like it tanks our class.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
Just because you have numbers doesnt mean the problem is solved.

Hilliard and Washington have shown they cant play.

Olaka and Walker have shown they cant stay healthy.

The FR other than Moore havent shown anything yet due to oppty, so they are completely unknown.

LB is a huge gap on this team. Has been for 3 years and will continue to be next year without complete health for everyone and drastic improvement from the young guys.

Careful when you generalize, especially when you're wrong. Hilliard and Washington absolutely can play. This was Hilliards first full season of football, actually game-time playing football in 3 years! Despite learning on the go, he definitely did not do badly. Washington has great range, and did miss his assignments quite often in the first half, but usually adjusted well with what the coaches wanted in the second half. To say either can't play is just wrong.
procrastinating on texags
This is not a new problem. We have missed on Linebacker for 5 out of the last 6 years.

This thread pretty much sums it up: http://texags.com/forums/9/topics/2512143

You will notice the same "apologist" are still around saying that our talent is fine and that we will have a serviceable unit. I predict more poor linebacker play until we start hitting on our top targets.

MagnumLoad
With Chavis as DC and LB coach, I truly do not understand why we are not at or near the top in LB recruiting, especially since it is a big need position with us. And don't give me the "we took a lot of LB last year and have a lot of depth there" answer. None of our recruits at LB have indicated that they are likely to be difference makers, and Walker, Alaka, Hilliard, and Washington cannot stay on the field for being hurt or injured.
cmurray62
We told y'all that Chavis does not like to recruit and it shows. It was one of the huge criticisms of Chavis while at LSU. He never developed relationships with very many high school coaches therefore Chavis was never a major factor in recruiting at LSU. This is why he isn't much of a factor at A&M. It is what it is.
Maroon Flash
AG
If we aren't getting the elite recruits, then at least have a 3* backup plan that may be undersized, that likes to hit and can run.

We need to start stockpiling guys we can redshirt, and develop to play here through a redshirt senior year.

No more excuses for being "young".
LukeDuke
AG
Chief will handle it
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Things are heating up at LB with Aaron Hansford and Clifton Lewis
I think we wind up with Hansford. He wants to play WR some and we're open to that.

For the record on LB depth, Chavis is no stranger to moving young DE's to LB. We have 3 defensive ends committed, if any don't fill out size wise, you could see them spin to LB. Kendall Beckwith at LSU comes to mind.

and Dodson is going to be a monster! huge get by Chief.

Chief got this.
Maroon Flash
AG
The loss of Washington and Hilliard underscores the need to get greater numbers in the front 7.

Should have been after some of the 3 stars Arky took out of Louisiana. By the time these guys are redshirt Jr's, they should be able to compete with anybody.

Trotting freshmen out to play in the front 7 is hurting us badly.
Brewmaster
AG
Losing those 2 didn't help, but I'd be really curious who shows flashes this spring. It's still a long way to August. I really thought we'd take 1 more LB in this class... Dunning is listed at 225 lbs! He's almost outgrown safety.

Maybe Garner or one of the other fish will develop
MagnumLoad
quote:
quote:
The TD Moton situation is a prime example of why we need to actually over recruit for the defensive front 7.

We cannot afford to go back to the Mike Sherman days of not being able to get DT's in school.

I understand your point, but one of the positions we have plenty of depth at is DT. If Moton doesn't get in until the summer, no big deal. If he doesn't get in at all, then yea bummer, but not like it tanks our class.
Respectfully, strongly disagree. With Washington gone we have at most 4 DT on scholarship. That is not nearly enough, we need 6. Next year we will be looking to true fish, assuming we can finally sign some DT, in the 2 deep. Moton will probably never get in, based on his inability to get a qualifying score on the ACT. If he struggles with that.......draw your own conclusion. It is inexcusable that we did not sign a single DT in this most recent class. It is troubling and perplexing that we have such trouble recruiting LB and now DT. I would have thought that Chavis' reputation alone would attract D front and LB. Beyond strange.
Loverboy
I suspect that was the reason that Hagen got shown the door. He couldn't recruit worth crap and it showed.

We will need to go juco for dts and I'm good with that. Those guys have had a couple of years to get bigger so they'll be ready for sec ball.

Same goes with Christensen. Couldn't coach or recruit. Buh bye.

Kds seems to be doing some things during this short offseason to right the ship. Its good to see.

sharpdressedman
quote:
It is inexcusable that we did not sign a single DT in this most recent class. It is troubling and perplexing that we have such trouble recruiting LB and now DT. I would have thought that Chavis' reputation alone would attract D front and LB. Beyond strange.
northside_99
Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

The FR other than Moore havent shown anything yet due to oppty, so they are completely unknown.

LB is a huge gap on this team. Has been for 3 years and will continue to be next year without complete health for everyone and drastic improvement from the young guys.

Careful when you generalize, especially when you're wrong. Hilliard and Washington absolutely can play. This was Hilliards first full season of football, actually game-time playing football in 3 years! Despite learning on the go, he definitely did not do badly. Washington has great range, and did miss his assignments quite often in the first half, but usually adjusted well with what the coaches wanted in the second half. To say either can't play is just wrong.

If only I had the crying laughing emoji to use at tamu_mgm.

Did you watch the game tonight, or any of the games really all year? What do you think of my LB analysis now?

How'd that Washington and Hilliard bow up work out for you?

We are still in trouble at LB. I would now add that if we are smart, we would move Alaka down to a rush end next year as we have no speed off the edge coming back next year, and Alaka has added his name to the list of guys who have shown they dont have the insticts or the physicality to play LB.

Tonight was an embarrassment, and a game where LBs would have had the chance to shine. They ran at us all night, and we are clueless in coverage of backs and TEs.
TMF
AG
I'm not sure we can say anything on our defense is okay. DL, LB, and secondary have all looked suspect recently. We lose a lot and doubt next in line can replace them. I think we will be worse if we don't get new position coaches to coach them up.
Leeman
northside_99 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

If only I had the crying laughing emoji to use at tamu_mgm.

Did you watch the game tonight, or any of the games really all year? What do you think of my LB analysis now?

How'd that Washington and Hilliard bow up work out for you?

We are still in trouble at LB. I would now add that if we are smart, we would move Alaka down to a rush end next year as we have no speed off the edge coming back next year, and Alaka has added his name to the list of guys who have shown they dont have the insticts or the physicality to play LB.

Tonight was an embarrassment, and a game where LBs would have had the chance to shine. They ran at us all night, and we are clueless in coverage of backs and TEs.
LB play has absolutely killed us. Every game we got to see Alaka and Washington fill the wrong hole.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.