LB Recruiting

22,967 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Leeman
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hope we can add some guys to go with Dodson, maybe a JUCO guy that can contribute next year.

If we want to start winning in the SEC, we need to get to a position where we aren't throwing freshmen LB's out on the field.

If we can't get the elite recruits, maybe take 3 star level guys that have SEC speed and bulk them up for a couple of years before playing them.
Bone6
Didn't we take 5 lb's last year?

I expect one more, but we shouldn't just give 2-3 stars scholarships for the sake of bodies. Sumlin's first class had a glut of low ranked LB's that have never seen the field.

Sherman had a lot of bust LB's too that never contributed. It's a hard position to recruit for in the spread era.
Wabs
AG
quote:
Didn't we take 5 lb's last year?

I expect one more, but we shouldn't just give 2-3 stars scholarships for the sake of bodies. Sumlin's first class had a glut of low ranked LB's that have never seen the field.

Sherman had a lot of bust LB's too that never contributed. It's a hard position to recruit for in the spread era.
Riley Garner, Landis Durham? Hell, can't Lockhart get some time at LB since Hall and Garrett will be playing DE?
TMartin
Moore and Olaka are the only LBs that look like Chavis kind of guys right now. They both move well and have a nose for the football. Beyond them........ It was very evident how active and disruptive Clemson linebackers were against Bama.
Bone6
quote:
Riley Garner, Landis Durham? Hell, can't Lockhart get some time at LB since Hall and Garrett will be playing DE?
So I was counting Richard Moore, Riley Garner, Landis Durham, Claude George, and Dwaine Thomas as the 5 LB's in last year's class.

George admittedly is JUCO, but if Chavis thinks Garner, Durham, and Thomas are coming along okay along with Moore who looks like he could start the next 3 years, we might not need to take a huge LB class this year if the coaches haven't found LB prospects they feel good about.

I think we at least need to grab one more to go along with Dodson, but I'm not sure if we're at a point where we just need to grab bodies for depth.
Bone6
quote:
Moore and Olaka are the only LBs that look like Chavis kind of guys right now. They both move well and have a nose for the football. Beyond them........ It was very evident how active and disruptive Clemson linebackers were against Bama.
I completely agree with this over the long term, but after 3 years on the field that fell below expectations we're going to have a hard time convincing the caliber of recruits that played in the national title game Monday to come here, especially this late in the recruiting cycle.
d78230
AG
I'd consider spinning down dunning. If he can handle the weight and position.

Athletically he'd be a beast.
SEC Champs
AG
What happened with McCullough?
Come Out Roll
AG
quote:

I think their play had more to do with the performance of their D-line than anything else..same goes for Alabama's LBs
DallasAg 94
quote:
I'm actually pretty positive about the LB'ers for next season... if they stay healthy.

Moore for a true freshman did quite well at times. But wasn't he the guy hitting the wrong holes repeatedly against Bama?!

Donovan Wilson as a Nickle Back did great as LB, especially against Alabama.

I like Josh Walker, Shaan Washington and AJ Hilliard.

I'm hoping George transitions for 2016... I don't recall seeing him at all in 2015.

We have about 5 LB'ers I'm comfortable with for 2016.

Another season will do them ALL well.

Additionally, our DL play... specifically Hall and Garrett, need to learn to play the run. Against big run Os in the SEC... Arkie, Bama and LSU... we need big LB'ers, but we also need to be able to clog up the middle.

Clemson was able to get the DL to disrupt the OL, clog up the middle and force Bama to the outside. Henry (et al) doesn't cut well enough and turn things up full steam. Get them running between the tackles and they are full speed running past our LB'ers.

We need 3 deep in LB'ers to compete in the SEC. We need more, but should be better off next season.
Meximan
quote:

In Texas it is, in Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama they grow on trees. If it were me I'd just stop recruiting Texas altogether for linebackers and go to those three states, especially Louisiana. A 3-star kid from the bayou just plays better than the 5-star Texas kid.
MidTnAg
AG
If next year's lb's can remain healthy for the next 12 months, it would be a huge step towards having a much stronger defense against the run.

Our best lb this year was a small, true fish. That doesn't say much about this year's crew. Have to get better. Much better!
beerad12man
AG
You're better off developing the 9 we have on campus as opposed to a juco, unless he's a stud. See Claude George.Numbers wise, we're actually more than fine. The key is staying healthy. If Alaka can get healthy, I think people will be surprised about how good our linebackers can be. If he and Moore both go down, then we're back to a scary situation.

SR Claude George
SR AJ Hilliard
SR Shaan Washington
JR Josh Walker
SO Otaro Alaka
SO Richard Moore
SO Riley Garner
SO Dwaine Thomas
SO Landis Durham (not sure if he's still here, rumors of him leaving but unconfirmed)
FR Tyrel Dodson
FR Hopefully McCulloch

McCulloch and developing the players we have on campus, along with staying healthy, are all much more important than grabbing a JUCO, though I wouldn't have been opposed if you could have found a good one.
beerad12man
AG
quote:
quote:
I completely agree with this over the long term, but after 3 years on the field that fell below expectations we're going to have a hard time convincing the caliber of recruits that played in the national title game Monday to come here, especially this late in the recruiting cycle.
I wouldn't think that should be the case. If I'm a linebacker, I see John Chavis' past and realize he's my position coach. I also see that he greatly improved our defense from the previous coach and that the only thing lacking is linebackers from being a great defense. There's potential for early playing time on what could be a really good defense next year, if we get some help at LB.

It actually should be a pretty good sell for a linebacker right now. We have a good Dl, good secondary, we just need linebackers. And as a linebacker here, you'll keep blockers off of you with guys like Mack and Henderson in front of you and you'll have Chavis coaching you.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
You're better off developing the 9 we have on campus as opposed to a juco, unless he's a stud. See Claude George.Numbers wise, we're actually more than fine. The key is staying healthy. If Alaka can get healthy, I think people will be surprised about how good our linebackers can be. If he and Moore both go down, then we're back to a scary situation.

SR Claude George
SR AJ Hilliard
SR Shaan Washington
JR Josh Walker
SO Otaro Alaka
SO Richard Moore
SO Riley Garner
SO Dwaine Thomas
SO Landis Durham (not sure if he's still here, rumors of him leaving but unconfirmed)
FR Tyrel Dodson
FR Hopefully McCulloch

McCulloch and developing the players we have on campus, along with staying healthy, are all much more important than grabbing a JUCO, though I wouldn't have been opposed if you could have found a good one.
I agree we have enough LBs to make it through the season. But if three graduate and a couple get injuried we are in a lot of trouble in 2017-18. Realistically we need to take two more.
Maroon Flash
AG
With all the attritition we have had, DL and LB are the two positions we need to overrecruit and make dang sure we can redshirt all but the exceptional recruits.
northside_99
Just because you have numbers doesnt mean the problem is solved.

Hilliard and Washington have shown they cant play.

Olaka and Walker have shown they cant stay healthy.

The FR other than Moore havent shown anything yet due to oppty, so they are completely unknown.

LB is a huge gap on this team. Has been for 3 years and will continue to be next year without complete health for everyone and drastic improvement from the young guys.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm actually pretty positive about the LB'ers for next season... if they stay healthy.

Moore for a true freshman did quite well at times. But wasn't he the guy hitting the wrong holes repeatedly against Bama?!

Donovan Wilson as a Nickle Back did great as LB, especially against Alabama.

I like Josh Walker, Shaan Washington and AJ Hilliard.

I'm hoping George transitions for 2016... I don't recall seeing him at all in 2015.

We have about 5 LB'ers I'm comfortable with for 2016.

Another season will do them ALL well.

Additionally, our DL play... specifically Hall and Garrett, need to learn to play the run. Against big run Os in the SEC... Arkie, Bama and LSU... we need big LB'ers, but we also need to be able to clog up the middle.

Clemson was able to get the DL to disrupt the OL, clog up the middle and force Bama to the outside. Henry (et al) doesn't cut well enough and turn things up full steam. Get them running between the tackles and they are full speed running past our LB'ers.

We need 3 deep in LB'ers to compete in the SEC. We need more, but should be better off next season.
Yup. #1 reason for why teams would usually start hot in the run game against us was because Garrett & Hall would rush up the field rather than contain the RBs. It was so incredibly frustrating to see the Louisville QB run wild against us as well because they would almost always crash on the RB even though the RB wasn't doing **** to us. All they had to do was go for the QB every time and there's no way we lose that game. He was their only weapon and we repeatedly let him burn us because our DEs got too eager.
Bone6
quote:
I wouldn't think that should be the case. If I'm a linebacker, I see John Chavis' past and realize he's my position coach. I also see that he greatly improved our defense from the previous coach and that the only thing lacking is linebackers from being a great defense. There's potential for early playing time on what could be a really good defense next year, if we get some help at LB.

I'm completely with you in terms of getting to play for Chavis as well as early playing time, but I think that's where it ends.

For blue chip LB talent, we're going up against programs that are contending for national titles. Some kids like Dodson will see Chavis as a great coach and want to play for him. However a lot of other ones will see our program that at our peak only won the cotton bowl with our GOAT followed by 3 disappointing seasons on the field.

There is also a serious concern for recruits that it will be a completely new coaching staff at a&m a year from now. It's not an easy sell even at a position with playing time opportunities and a good coach like Chavis.
Maroon Flash
AG
Bone6 you are right. That's why I'm saying if necessary take some 3 star guys that have SEC speed and bulk them up a couple of years.

We have people posting on here like Alaka's return to action is a foregone conclusion and he will surely stay healthy all year. That is not a certainty.
jackie childs
quote:
There is also a serious concern for recruits that it will be a completely new coaching staff at a&m a year from now. It's not an easy sell even at a position with playing time opportunities and a good coach like Chavis.
don't those same concerns also exist at tu and LSU, two of our main recruiting rivals?
Aggball2010
AG
quote:
quote:
don't those same concerns also exist at tu and LSU, two of our main recruiting rivals?

Precisely
cmurray62
It wont matter at LSU. The kids wil come. Even with coaching turmoil caused by the idiot LSU AD and assistants moving around (including Chavis) LSU currently has the #1 recruiting class in the nation and has several additional 4&5 stars ready to commit as well. LSU will always have talent. The recruiting base in Louisiana and Texas is just too strong. Then LSU has always done well in Florida and along the Gulf Coast. Too much talent in the base.
Come Out Roll
AG
Guys, this ain't rocket surgery...of course LSU is doing well in recruiting, and they always will
It has everything to do with those that are academically "questionable" at other schools, but will fit right in on the bayou....
Aggball2010
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm completely with you in terms of getting to play for Chavis as well as early playing time, but I think that's where it ends.

For blue chip LB talent, we're going up against programs that are contending for national titles. Some kids like Dodson will see Chavis as a great coach and want to play for him. However a lot of other ones will see our program that at our peak only won the cotton bowl with our GOAT followed by 3 disappointing seasons on the field.

But our defense wasn't then what it was even this year. Have a good showing on offense this year and the same level of defensive competence and LB's will be comforted with wins and the knowledge that they can help win a game rather than help to stay in a game.

longeryak
Things are heating up at LB with Aaron Hansford and Clifton Lewis
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
quote:

In Texas it is, in Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama they grow on trees. If it were me I'd just stop recruiting Texas altogether for linebackers and go to those three states, especially Louisiana. A 3-star kid from the bayou just plays better than the 5-star Texas kid.

Agree 110%. Louisiana has some of the most athletically gifted kids anywhere. Look at the NFL - Louisiana has the most players in the NFL per capita...followed by S. Carolina, Bama, Mississippi.

quote:

That is what brought me here... saw that Mark Passwaters tweeted out we're going hard after a couple linebackers (finally).
I've been thinking we could use 1 or 2 for depth (guys that will play in a couple years). In the SEC you can't have too many linebackers.
Maroon Flash
AG
The TD Moton situation is a prime example of why we need to actually over recruit for the defensive front 7.

We cannot afford to go back to the Mike Sherman days of not being able to get DT's in school.
longeryak
^^^

Does that mean the rumors of him still not qualifying are true?
Farmer84
quote:
This is probably contingency plans for McCulloch. Hansford would be a nice contingency plan. Lewis is sloooow.
Hopefully, we still reel in the Shark AND are able to pull in Hansford too.
W
AG
as others have stated...the problem with the aggie LB's...is that they are all "just guys."

none of them look to be "special" or all-conference caliber. The Ags have numbers, but not above average talent.

Alaka can't stay healthy and there is no reason to think he will be healthy again next year.

it's still not a good situation at LB
d78230
AG
quote:
TJust because you have numbers doesnt mean the problem is solved.

The FR other than Moore havent shown anything yet due to oppty, so they are completely unknown.

LB is a huge gap on this team. Has been for 3 years and will continue to be next year without complete health for everyone and drastic improvement from the young guys.
Best analysis of our lb situation.

I am so tired of watching Washington and Hillard run to the wrong gap. Over and over and over.

I wish Olaka and walker could stay healthy. They just haven't been able to.

CaveDwellinAg
AG
A few things:

1) Durham is gone.

2) Moton is not getting in this spring but is still planning to be here by next fall at the latest.

3) It's spelled Alaka, get it right.

4) Problem with trying to recruit 3-5 LB this year after getting 4 last year (not including Durham - though still 5 if you're of the belief that Dunning changes to OLB) is that not only will we lose some space on the roster for other positions, but we will be able to recruit very few in the next few years. That would leave us with a gap in the roster and we will end up playing youngsters again once '15 and '16 classes are gone.
dreyOO
quote:
quote:
TJust because you have numbers doesnt mean the problem is solved.

Best analysis of our lb situation.

I am so tired of watching Washington and Hillard run to the wrong gap. Over and over and over.

I wish Olaka and walker could stay healthy. They just haven't been able to.

Both of these posts are right on. Especially with Washington/Hilliard. I'll forgive Moore for being aggressive and picking the wrong gap, but those two guys did it more often and it was a killer for our defense.

BTW, I always found it interesting when watching other teams' good defense. You can spot their linebackers quickly and see how disruptive they are...and with our guys, you usually can't find them b/c they're underneath a blocker or running to the wrong gap.

All that said, I trust Chief more than anything. He knows what's up better than us. He'll get it fixed.
cmurray62
quote:
Guys, this ain't rocket surgery...of course LSU is doing well in recruiting, and they always will
It has everything to do with those that are academically "questionable" at other schools, but will fit right in on the bayou....

Really? Is this why A&M is trying so hard to recruit just about every Louisiana kid LSU has commitments from? What about the LB from Port Allen(Claiborne?) who was the Aggies leading tackler a couple of years ago who was run off? Let's not mention Speedy Noil and his crap? What about Michael Divinity? I guess he was a genius until he dumped A&M? You seem
a tad bitter.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.