#8 Texas A&M @ #21 Baylor (Exhibition Match)

12,131 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by flintdragon
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

Ehhh we could give them one


it's Morrison's m.o.
The 4th set is very experimental.
CastilloAg_16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wisconsin comes to Reed September 11th! Hope they come out with some USA swag
InternetFan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag4eva95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my defense, I called it years ago. I said Gabi would be a 4 time starting libero and future all American. Way before she was even ranked and wearing a USA jersey!
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember!!! It's happening! You're on the Gabi Rodriguez fan club committee with us
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chruchie said:

some quick notes that i noticed from watching. Happy to elaborate where i can:


- gabi is so solid, serve receive is really good and defense in general. flying around the court, sees the play so well exactly what we want for a libero and only a freshman.
- kaia is a menace, huge portal pickup very diverse in her attack toolkit and steady as a blocker. maybe late once the entire match.
- Kirra is the best setter, quickest sets, tall and not afraid to be aggressive when in the front row. Connection setting behind her with a slide or oppo is really sharp. Might be growing pains but still the choice. (beat out and played above o'brien in club)
- serving all around is really good. natalie's is really something, a lot of variety
- middles might see some movement minus kaia, but it's a good thing. most likely because of depth of the #2 spot (based solely on eliza not playing today)
- blocking, still a core of this team. we shouldn't expect that to change.
- natalie wants it! when her first backrow attack was called out she immediately told the coaches and setter to give it to her again and then next play off the rip got her kill.
- oppo battle will be interesting. megan is the more dangerous offensive threat but morris is so solid at setting the edge of the block
- morrison wanted middles that can run behind the setter and he got some!


Kirra over Lily at setter?
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, appreciate the detailed analysis
Turkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Chruchie.
Chruchie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
in the 1st set we ran a pseudo 6-2 where lily set in the backrow, but kirra came into set when lily would have been front row. they did the same with margot in the 2nd but went full kirra halfway through the 2nd
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was Jenna not dressed out as the second Libero at all today? I thought she might be a serving Libero for Gabi similar to Tatum last season but it didn't seem like she was Libero also, at least for the last set based on the Instagram pictures
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was Kirra still the only setter in the third and fourth sets?
Chruchie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it was all kirra in the 3rd and 4th
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very interesting! I thought she had a strong connection with Ring in the matches I saw, so that may be an X factor for this season
Chruchie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gabi was the only one in the libero jersey. she doesn't need a serving sub, she went on multiple serving runs with at least 1 ace.
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've thought Kirra very well could be the best setter on campus but that Lily didn't transfer here to sit in her final year. I just don't believe Jamie will run a 6-2. Kirra is super tall so she is obviously better in the front row. Very interesting because Peterson is certainly it going to sit next year.

Exciting to see some of these position battles coming to a head. I like Fitch at opposite, mainly for the offense but I just don't know if we are giving up more defensively than we are gaining offensively.
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't wait to see how it all plays out, so much talent at each position. A hard problem, but a good problem to deal with! I trust the staff! Friday here we come!
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll get the Louisville preview/thread up as fast as I can
Chruchie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always been high on Kirra. Not much to go off of except how highly sought after she was as a recruit. But I do think it is worth noting that as a true freshman she did sit behind one of the best setters in the country last year (Maddie)
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FluAggie said:

I've thought Kirra very well could be the best setter on campus but that Lily didn't transfer here to sit in her final year. I just don't believe Jamie will run a 6-2. Kirra is super tall so she is obviously better in the front row. Very interesting because Peterson is certainly it going to sit next year.

Exciting to see some of these position battles coming to a head. I like Fitch at opposite, mainly for the offense but I just don't know if we are giving up more defensively than we are gaining offensively.


New NCAA 5 in 5 rules means another season for Lily. Get a year of Jamie coaching and then transfer again isn't terrible.

I also don't see Jamie as one to promise playing time. He seems very big on competition in the gym.
tactical
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, I would love to use the 2nd libero as a serving sub, but Gabi's serve is probably too consistent to take off the court.

Overall, the serving looks like an absolute terror to deal with. I'm interested to see whether today was just a good day, but otherwise we might be one of the best serving teams in the country this year top to bottom.
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

FluAggie said:

I've thought Kirra very well could be the best setter on campus but that Lily didn't transfer here to sit in her final year. I just don't believe Jamie will run a 6-2. Kirra is super tall so she is obviously better in the front row. Very interesting because Peterson is certainly it going to sit next year.

Exciting to see some of these position battles coming to a head. I like Fitch at opposite, mainly for the offense but I just don't know if we are giving up more defensively than we are gaining offensively.


New NCAA 5 in 5 rules means another season for Lily. Get a year of Jamie coaching and then transfer again isn't terrible.

I also don't see Jamie as one to promise playing time. He seems very big on competition in the gym.

I don't think he promised playing time but to add a setter that late in the portal, you would think she was certainly under the impression the job was hers to lose. Lily is a very good setter and has a ton of experience...but Kirra is legit too and maybe she is going to win the job. We will find out on Friday!
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree, I know that they were trying it out earlier in the spring. Honestly, I think Jenna has a stronger float serve, but Gabi is great as well and hard to keep off the court even for one rotation. Lots to be excited about!
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chruchie said:

some quick notes that i noticed from watching. Happy to elaborate where i can:


- gabi is so solid, serve receive is really good and defense in general. flying around the court, sees the play so well exactly what we want for a libero and only a freshman.
- kaia is a menace, huge portal pickup very diverse in her attack toolkit and steady as a blocker. maybe late once the entire match.
- Kirra is the best setter, quickest sets, tall and not afraid to be aggressive when in the front row. Connection setting behind her with a slide or oppo is really sharp. Might be growing pains but still the choice. (beat out and played above o'brien in club)
- serving all around is really good. natalie's is really something, a lot of variety
- middles might see some movement minus kaia, but it's a good thing. most likely because of depth of the #2 spot (based solely on eliza not playing today)
- blocking, still a core of this team. we shouldn't expect that to change.
- natalie wants it! when her first backrow attack was called out she immediately told the coaches and setter to give it to her again and then next play off the rip got her kill.
- oppo battle will be interesting. megan is the more dangerous offensive threat but morris is so solid at setting the edge of the block
- morrison wanted middles that can run behind the setter and he got some!

Kirra did not beat out O brien at Skyline, it was the opposite actually. She had to play up to get a chance to set and even then she split time with Cayley Hansen who is at Miss State now. I am looking forward to watching friday to see the improvement as I really always thought she should have been a opp hitter like Logan.
Rambotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! Didn't think it was pretty much the whole game point for point.
KLB93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found this too, wondering why it just now showed up in the wild!
HCliver82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for posting the highlights. That is really great for those of us that could not be there! Curious, how did you get that footage?
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems it was some media account in attendance, how cool!!!
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After watching the scrimmage, the things that stands out the most to me is our passing! It looks so good early on! We know Kyndal can pass well, Addi Applegate looked improve, Natalie Ring looks to be a great passer, but Gabi Rodriguez my oh my, she looked excellent out there! This is going to help this new team out so much!
Bowhunter08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. Gabi is great right now and she will get better as the season progresses. I am thinking Freshman all SEC level play.

I was really pleased with Castle - she stood out.

Ring is what I thought she would be.

Louisville is really good and has me nervous. We will know after Friday how far we we need to improve. Regardless of the outcome, this team will get better during the season as they gel.
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kirra's setting location was a bit inconsistent but definitely improved as the match went on. Natalie's serve is great, looks much improved from the spring. I'm also of the opinion that Megan should play, I think she can score more points for us offensively and help lessen the strain from the outsides. Kaia running the slide looks great as well, and Applegate's passing remains solid. I just wish the camera wasn't so dizzying to watch
EABC_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree on Fitch. I think she clearly brought another dimension offensively when she came in
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't dig much into that youtube account but there is also a Sophee Peterson mic-ed up video on there. No idea what that media company is or what they are promoting.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.