Request for data

3,926 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Struggle and Strifer
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At wife's OB and they have been discussing the vaccine for about 30 min.

Wife is indifferent, we've both had covid and dealt with it. You can see my numbers on texas cares thread.

Her concerns:
Death during pregnancy (vax vs non-vax)
Side-effects of vaccination during vax (clotting, preeclampsia)
Side-effects to placenta and fetus.
Any data in transfer of vax to fetus or antibody, if so, length of stay?

Basically, the risk/reward does not seem there to NOW get the vax (for her). We are also concerned with some of the heart issues like miocarditis (sp) since our baby has HRHS and already will likely have a heart rate in the low 80s.

Any articles with studies would be great to pass on to her. (Looked on acog.org)

Thanks.
DeangeloVickers
AG
No one knows *****..look what was from last year.

Pretty definitive....

Try your best, read all sources, and then make best decision you can. Frankly any child bearing or want to be pregnant woman...no way I'd want the vaccine.

But that's my opinion...how ignorant or smart that is will remain to be seen
Tom Cardy
AG
Vaccine for expecting mothers/baby made more sense to me when the predominant strain was targeted well by the vaccine. Given that current strains seem to be mostly evading any vaccine-produced specific immunity I would wonder if they are worth it.
PerpetualLurker
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01666-2

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2782978

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/150319
A is A
AG
Thanks for the articles. Will take some time to delve into these.
KidDoc
AG
Ask for a titer. Her titer is likely high making vaccine a needless risk. If the titer is low then getting the vaccine is likely worthwhile.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsMyDude
AG
A is A said:

Wife is indifferent, we've both had covid and dealt with it. You can see my numbers on texas cares thread.

Her concerns:

Basically, the risk/reward does not seem there to NOW get the vax (for her). We are also concerned with some of the heart issues like miocarditis (sp) since our baby has HRHS and already will likely have a heart rate in the low 80s.

Any articles with studies would be great to pass on to her. (Looked on acog.org)

Thanks.

This alone would give me BIG pause if I were in your shoes. My wife and I both got the original vax when it was targeted so the Alpha strain. We made it through the delta wave but when Omicron was surging we decided not to get boosted since it was so ineffective. Our family all got it in January and were fine other than 4 days of pretty rough symptoms, never needed more than a steroid.

I preface that to say that opinions change and every situation is different. If my wife was pregnant at this point, already had covid, and baby has a known heart defect I don't think you could ever convince me to get the vax.

A is A
AG
KidDoc said:

Ask for a titer. Her titer is likely high making vaccine a needless risk. If the titer is low then getting the vaccine is likely worthwhile.
Is that something from the OB or from a Lab? I registered for the Texas Cares but she procrastinated... sigh.

Doc, If you think her levels are relatively high, would would you say it is a needless risk? I would agree, generally but I just do not know how to convey that (or really want to sound one sided).

She is literally on the fence. TIA
A is A
AG
AgsMyDude said:

A is A said:

Her concerns:

Thanks.

This alone would give me BIG pause if I were in your shoes. My wife and I both got the original vax when it was targeted so the Alpha strain. We made it through the delta wave but when Omicron was surging we decided not to get boosted since it was so ineffective. Our family all got it in January and were fine other than 4 days of pretty rough symptoms, never needed more than a steroid.

I preface that to say that opinions change and every situation is different. If my wife was pregnant at this point, already had covid, and baby has a known heart defect I don't think you could ever convince me to get the vax.

Interestingly enough the heart problems were the initial push to have the conversation. Before we felt it unnecessary with the many bouts of covid we have dealt with in our family and our close extended family (that we see many days of the week).

She just wants to see numbers. That is the only thing at the point that will sway her one way or another.

Is there a SIGNIFICANT benefit to getting the vax? Does the likelihood of getting a serious case of covid go from 30% for unvax preg to 4% unvax preg after infection? or is it 5% - 4%? What doe the numbers do if she is covid recovered and second time asymptomatic (when I got my second round).

What we are finding out is there are still a lot of educated assumptions....that are just assumptions.

I do not envy her position - anything bad happen after any decision she will be hard on herself, and she is already dealing with a 1V baby coming and postpartum. Last thing we need for her is something to second guess this decision.

Anyway, wall of text, I know. But really just searching for numbers. On both sides.
KidDoc
AG
A is A said:

KidDoc said:

Is that something from the OB or from a Lab? I registered for the Texas Cares but she procrastinated... sigh.

Doc, If you think her levels are relatively high, would would you say it is a needless risk? I would agree, generally but I just do not know how to convey that (or really want to sound one sided).

I am certain that if her titers are high she is protected better than being vaccinated. Titers are just a blood test that any doc can order.

If she is protected then even a 1:100,000 risk of vaccine complications is unnecessary when there is no benefit at all.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
A is A
AG
KidDoc said:

A is A said:

KidDoc said:

I am certain that if her titers are high she is protected better than being vaccinated. Titers are just a blood test that any doc can order.

If she is protected then even a 1:100,000 risk of vaccine complications is unnecessary when there is no benefit at all.

Thank you.
A is A
AG
So for the titre test. Is there something specific she should ask for? I don't want to lead her down a road she won't get answers. Is it just a generic blood test or do we have to screen for something specific?
KidDoc
AG
A is A said:

So for the titre test. Is there something specific she should ask for? I don't want to lead her down a road she won't get answers. Is it just a generic blood test or do we have to screen for something specific?

Just ask for a COVID IgG titer for S spike. The S spike is vaccine or wild infection, N titer is for nucleocapsid and only wild infection.
A is A
AG
Thank
AGBU 94
Probably some of the most useful information on this board given the recency.
Struggle and Strifer
Fire Ant Phil said:

Probably some of the most useful information on this board given the recency.
Useful information is not always easy to come by.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.