Ivermectin shown to be ineffective in largest study to date

8,943 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by HarleySpoon
woodlees
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Largest, highest quality study performed to date on ivermectin effectiveness. Very robust and exhaustive statistical analyses add to study quality

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ivermectin-didnt-reduce-covid-19-hospitalizations-in-largest-trial-to-date-11647601200?st=0kq22nglflce799&reflink=article_imessage_share

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
This tells me all I need to know. Let me guess, the companies behind the "other drugs" stand to take in obscene profits.

Dr. Mills and his colleagues also are studying other drugs that could be repurposed to work against Covid-19. Such drugs could be useful because their side effects are well known and they may be cheaper to deploy in poor countries than drugs like Merck & Co. and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics LP's molnupiravir or Pfizer Inc.'s Paxlovid.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The celebratory starring of posts about medication found not to work is one of the more interesting facets of this board. Says a lot
01agtx
AG
Op, I'd be more interested to know what you have found that does work well vs what doesn't work.
Marcus Brutus
The study hasn't been published and OP uses adjectives like "highest quality".
JamesPShelley
woodlees said:

Largest, highest quality study performed to date on ivermectin effectiveness. Very robust and exhaustive statistical analyses add to study quality

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ivermectin-didnt-reduce-covid-19-hospitalizations-in-largest-trial-to-date-11647601200?st=0kq22nglflce799&reflink=article_imessage_share

Riiiiiggggghhhhhht.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The celebratory starring of posts about medication found not to work is one of the more interesting facets of this board. Says a lot

Read the article, there is nothing definitive in it.

OP probably has a picture of the hockey stick graph on his wall lol.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Year of the Germaphobe said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Agree. Just meaning in general. if you find me starring posts that a long-used, cheap, widely available, extremely safe (at proper dosages) medication that is thought to potentially be useful for covid but the post is saying it was determined not to be, I need to go spend some time in self-reflection and re-evaluate just what kind of human I am. I would hope most reactions would be "well that's extremely unfortunate"
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Agree. Just meaning in general. if you find me starring posts that a long-used, cheap, widely available, extremely safe medication that is thought to potentially be useful for covid but the post is saying it was determined not to be, I need to go spend some time in self-reflection and re-evaluate just what kind of human I am. I would hope most reactions would be "well that's extremely unfortunate"

I agree. The fervor behind it is politically motivated lol, but also...creepy, with undertones of hatred.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree, which is crazy to see someone so fervent to see one side be wrong that they'd star something like this. I don't care which side it is. It would be wonderful if an existing, cheap, safe medication was found to be effective.
Petrino1
Ivermectin worked for me! Thats all that matters to me.
Marcus Brutus
Nails
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Additionally I'd like to point out that we are supposed to be just exiting a winter of death.

Per the current administration, using all data available, I should be dead.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
This doesn't tell me one damned thing about why the vaccine (which does very little anymore) is pushed over ivermectin that allegedly does very little.

I never understood not trying ivermectin due to its very low side effects.
ORAggieFan
Jay Reimenschneider said:

This doesn't tell me one damned thing about why the vaccine (which does very little anymore) is pushed over ivermectin that allegedly does very little.

How can one possibly look at the data and suggest the vaccine "does very little".
agsalaska
AG
There is nothing that could possibly be written that will change any minds on the subject one way or another. One of the many fascinating results of the pandemic.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
PJYoung
AG
ORAggieFan said:

How can one possibly look at the data and suggest the vaccine "does very little".
Upside down world.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
PJYoung said:

ORAggieFan said:

Upside down world.

I agree, masking children, shutting down businesses, and instilling fear into the public have created this upside down world.
ORAggieFan

PJYoung said:

ORAggieFan said:

Upside down world.

I agree, masking children, shutting down businesses, and instilling fear into the public have created this upside down world.

But if one uses any critical thinking at all, they would see that those things did very little, if anything at all, to help while the vaccine was a massive success. There is way too much all or nothing opinion, likely from the vocal minorities of both extremes.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
ORAggieFan said:

PJYoung said:

ORAggieFan said:

Upside down world.

But if one uses any critical thinking at all, they would see that those things did very little, if anything at all, to help while the vaccine was a massive success. There is way too much all or nothing opinion, likely from the vocal minorities of both extremes.

100% agree. When you conduct analysis using bad data, you get bad results.

I saw too many arm chair statisticians try and get in on the analysis lol.

I'm good at picking out who wants to be a bully though, and I've noticed allot of fence sitters and people that populate the extreme left/right fall into the category of being a "bully." The range is sort of re-shuffling to clearly separate Judeo-Christian ideology, from an increasingly cancerous secular worldview.
Get Off My Lawn
ORAggieFan said:

I still believe (naively perhaps) that the vaccines do take the edge off for the 'at risk' population. For all of the young and healthy folks, though, the risk was so small to start with that the ultimate risk reduction is practically negligible at the personal level (an "OMG outcome improvement of nearly 20x!!!" isn't nearly as impressive when explained as a 0.1% risk going down to 0.006%).
agsalaska
AG
There is nothing naive about it. The vaccines success is obvious. If you don't think so just ask any doctor who dealt/deals with covid patients.

The problem is the vaccine got caught up with everything else. When someone spouts a bunch of BS it is natural to believe everything coming out of their mouth must be BS. After shutting down our businesses, closing our schools, and making us all wear masks, all of which were quite obviously ineffective from the beginning, it made a substantial portion of the population call BS on the vaccines.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Get Off My Lawn
The part that I'm still skeptical is the long term piece. I doubt well ever trust the data, but for many these vaccines may have simply kicked the can down the road. And if doing so meant that an at-risk individual was infected first with Omicron rather than Delta then it may have had significant life-preserving benefit. But theyve redefining "vaccine" once and and "works" twice already. As the timeframe extends, I'm curious if a vax-lapsed individual were to get a hit of Alpha how much benefit they'd actually see.
agsalaska
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

The part that I'm still skeptical is the long term piece. I doubt well ever trust the data, but for many these vaccines may have simply kicked the can down the road. And if doing so meant that an at-risk individual was infected first with Omicron rather than Delta then it may have had significant life-preserving benefit. But theyve redefining "vaccine" once and and "works" twice already. As the timeframe extends, I'm curious if a vax-lapsed individual were to get a hit of Alpha how much benefit they'd actually see.
I would disagree that they re-defined 'vaccine.' That's just media driven. But I agree with the general idea that too many people are vaccinated and that the push to vaccinate everyone is misguided. I would say there is a bit of 'hindsight is 20/20' in your post though. We didn't know last summer that Omicron would be what it was. At that point in time the variants if anything were getting stronger.
ramblin_ag02
AG
agsalaska said:

There is nothing naive about it. The vaccines success is obvious. If you don't think so just ask any doctor who dealt/deals with covid patients.

The problem is the vaccine got caught up with everything else. When someone spouts a bunch of BS it is natural to believe everything coming out of their mouth must be BS. After shutting down our businesses, closing our schools, and making us all wear masks, all of which were quite obviously ineffective from the beginning, it made a substantial portion of the population call BS on the vaccines.
Agree completely. A big part of the problem was the bureaucracy being unable to keep up with the changing situation. For instance, the vaccines were very good preventing the spread of COVID when they were released. However, when delta and omicron came along the vaccines didn't help with that much at all. If a vaccine prevents the spread of a communicable disease, like it did against the original strain, then a mandate make sense. Once that changed, vaccination turned into a personal risk mitigation strategy and not a tool to stop the spread of disease. At that point mandates stopped making sense.

Both sides displayed a clear problem with flexible thinking, especially changing tactics as new information became available. Team Red when it came to treatments and Team Blue when it came to masks, mandates, and lockdowns.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Get Off My Lawn
A. It's not that the bureaucracies COULDN'T. They CHOSE not to update guidance to account for shifts that involved rolling back their overreach.

B. The "Both sides share blame" fallacy needs to be called out. The right was dominated by old people who lined up for the vax, politicians (Trump, DeSantis, Abbott, etc etc etc) who advocated heavily for vaccination, and considerate folks who played along with all of the attempts at spread mitigation.
Sure, there were crazy uncles who got amped up for Ivermectin and other prospective treatments in response to what they saw as leftist suppression, but that was hardly a representative element.
The left crushed the economy, people's freedom, kept family members separated, got folks kicked out of jobs, shut down events, set children back a year in their development, stole small businesses from their owners to the benefit of the largest corporations - even after the unknowns we're replaced by indications that they weren't acting logically.
Get Off My Lawn
C. There wasn't any point where mandates stopped making sense. They never did. Not in our constitutional republic. If a disease is bad enough, folks will act upon recommendations toward their own best interest. It's an incredible perspective really: approaching from a position that any entity beyond the individual should have the authority over their risk assessment / decision making.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Not trying to rehash 3 millenia of public health. All societies agree that a single person does not have the right to put others at risk. That applies if you're shooting fireworks in a neighborhood, digging a cesspit in your backyard, or getting a vaccine to prevent the spread of illness.

Also, your mileage may vary, but I still know a ton of people to this day that would take ivermectin over the vaccines. In rural Texas the number is big.

Finally, your first point shows the biggest problem in all of this. You just assume the "other side" is acting in bad faith. They're not mistaken; they're lying. They're not trying to make things better; they're being selfish and callous. Never attribute to malice that which is more easily explained by incompetence.
Get Off My Lawn
Im a big fan of Hanlon's Razor, but I've seen too much in the last two years and have been pushed beyond that edge. You may see things differently, but when the data mounts against them and they run out of valid excuses - I no longer care whether their personal fears are genuine, their faith is bad.

And there's a HUGE difference between quarantine of sick people (or stopping people who are otherwise violating a non-aggression principle) and saying "you exist, therefore you MUST (do as I decree)." It's clear when hearing some doctors speak that they think of people as a rancher does his herd of cattle - but that's a Pandora's Box perspective.
bigtruckguy3500
DannyDuberstein said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Agree. Just meaning in general. if you find me starring posts that a long-used, cheap, widely available, extremely safe (at proper dosages) medication that is thought to potentially be useful for covid but the post is saying it was determined not to be, I need to go spend some time in self-reflection and re-evaluate just what kind of human I am. I would hope most reactions would be "well that's extremely unfortunate"
See, the issue is that nothing happens in isolation. If a drug was legitimately a placebo, with no harm, and no benefit, then yeah, no big deal. The problem is that there are people that believe a placebo will save them, and will choose it over the vaccine. They'll even choose to take it for days while getting sicker and sicker, until they're about to die and then finally call an ambulance.

The decision to believe ivermectin works often means you also believe other stuff doesn't work, or doesn't work as well.
knoxtom
This is complete BS and stupid, Ivermectin is totally effective against parasites in large mammals.

tmaggies
AG
Ok
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2115869

Looks like another study showing that Ivermectin does not work for treating COVID.

MaroonDontRun
AG
I think this is the study cited but I couldn't verify because the WSJ article by the original poster is behind a pay wall.
Ivermectin Study (i coincidentally selected this study that the post right above mine also referenced)

In the study, the patients had COVID symptoms for 7 days and it is my understanding that ivermectin is beneficial if administered early (prior to 7 days) so I don't think this study definitively rules out ivermectin.

Quote:

We conducted a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, adaptive platform trial involving symptomatic SARS-CoV-2positive adults recruited from 12 public health clinics in Brazil. Patients who had had symptoms of Covid-19 for up to 7 days and had at least one risk factor for disease progression were randomly assigned to receive ivermectin (400 g per kilogram of body weight) once daily for 3 days or placebo. (The trial also involved other interventions that are not reported here.) The primary composite outcome was hospitalization due to Covid-19 within 28 days after randomization or an emergency department visit due to clinical worsening of Covid-19 (defined as the participant remaining under observation for >6 hours) within 28 days after randomization.

Here is a different study:
Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines

Quote:

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

Quote:

The findings indicate with moderate certainty that ivermectin treatment in COVID-19 provides a significant survival benefit. Our certainty of evidence judgment was consolidated by the results of trial sequential analyses, which show that the required IS has probably already been met. Low-certainty evidence on improvement and deterioration also support a likely clinical benefit of ivermectin. Low-certainty evidence suggests a significant effect in prophylaxis. Overall, the evidence also suggests that early use of ivermectin may reduce morbidity and mortality from COVID-19. This is based on (1) reductions in COVID-19 infections when ivermectin was used as prophylaxis, (2) the more favorable effect estimates for mild to moderate disease compared with severe disease for death due to any cause, and (3) on the evidence demonstrating reductions in deterioration.
OldArmy71
AG
I know nothing one way or another, but the journal that published that article has issued an "Expression of Concern" about its results.

Quote:

The Editor of the American Journal of Therapeutics hereby issues an Expression of Concern for Bryant A, Lawrie TA, Dowswell T, Fordham EJ, Mitchell S, Hill SR, Tham TC. Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines. Am J Ther. 2021;28(4): e434-e460.
The decision is based on the evaluation of allegations of inaccurate data collection and/or reporting in at least 2 primary sources of the meta-analysis performed by Mr. Andrew Bryant and his collaborators.1,2 These allegations were first made after the publication of this article. The exclusion of the suspicious data appears to invalidate the findings regarding the ivermectin's potential to decrease the mortality of COVID-19 infection.2 The investigation of these allegations is incomplete and inconclusive at this time.
This Expression of Concern does not imply that the methodology used by Mr. Andrew Bryant and his collaborators was incorrect. The use of summary data published by others is a generally accepted approach in biomedical metanalytic research.1
The American Journal of Therapeutics is steadfastly committed to upholding truth in science and the highest standards in publication ethics. We will update our decision regarding this work should more information become available.
https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/Fulltext/2022/04000/Expression_of_Concern_for_Bryant_a,_Lawrie_TA,.11.aspx
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.