Good News - CDC Removes 24 Percent Of Child COVID-19 Deaths

4,405 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
samurai_science
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GAC06
AG
The Science keeps changing I guess
Capitol Ag
AG
So even less kids actually die from Covid. But by all means, keep masking children!
Whirligigs
KidDoc
AG
I am not surprised at all. It is very mild in almost all kids.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
setsmachine
AG
Early in the pandemic in GA there were news reports all over social media of a 7 year old dying from covid, which of course caused a lot of panic with parents. A week later it was reported that the child had a high fever from Covid, which caused a febrile seizure in the bathtub and he drowned.

Completely tragic situation and yes covid had a part, but without any other details initially, everyone was imagining a child in the ICU on a respirator. At least I was. The full detail story didn't get nearly as much press the next week.
fullback44
AG
Lol… The CDC will drop plenty of other Covid deaths also.. it's coming
None of this surprises me… it's all going to come out
West Point Aggie
AG
KidDoc said:

Has this been known for a while?
aggierogue
AG
West Point Aggie said:

KidDoc said:

Has this been known for a while?
Yes. My daughter was completely asymptomatic. Many of my students have contracted it, and I've not heard of a single case that was more serious than a mild fever.
wbt5845
AG
So did they bring them back to life? I'm confused.
Pokgai
Honest mistake or not. Politics or not. I think we can all agree on that this is good news for everyone.
planoaggie123
AG
Agree good news....but to be honest....the impact to kids was super low before the revision and now it is even lower....and just common sense and analysis of real life data already told us all we needed to know about COVID and kids...just "scientists" and unions and government officials used fear tactics to make it seem bad....heck, kids are still wearing masks b/c of that misinformation.

The basis for these "oops" should be investigated fully and not just allowed to be a simple sorry or revision with an asterisk.
cisgenderedAggie
Pokgai said:

Honest mistake or not. Politics or not. I think we can all agree on that this is good news for everyone.

No. Just no. Medical guidance and and life altering policy decisions were made on the basis of this. The only reason things like this would be allowed to slide under the table is because it's the government and the "right kind of thinking" is in power right now. If a private sector operation got things with even a fraction of the importance or implications this wrong, the lawsuits and even criminal charges would be everywhere.

Assuming this is true (which I've not gone to source)…Honest mistake or not, politics or not, heads should roll for allowing such a gross error to occur and go u corrected for more than about a week. Some people should never be allowed to work in their current fields again.
planoaggie123
AG
Correct.
AgsMyDude
AG
setsmachine said:

Early in the pandemic in GA there were news reports all over social media of a 7 year old dying from covid, which of course caused a lot of panic with parents. A week later it was reported that the child had a high fever from Covid, which caused a febrile seizure in the bathtub and he drowned.

Completely tragic situation and yes covid had a part, but without any other details initially, everyone was imagining a child in the ICU on a respirator. At least I was. The full detail story didn't get nearly as much press the next week.

There was a similar story in South Padre or Corpus very early in the pandemic. The death was finally ruled as SIDS but the original headline was all about covid. Sensationalism at its best.
Capitol Ag
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

Pokgai said:

No. Just no. Medical guidance and and life altering policy decisions were made on the basis of this. The only reason things like this would be allowed to slide under the table is because it's the government and the "right kind of thinking" is in power right now. If a private sector operation got things with even a fraction of the importance or implications this wrong, the lawsuits and even criminal charges would be everywhere.

Assuming this is true (which I've not gone to source)…Honest mistake or not, politics or not, heads should roll for allowing such a gross error to occur and go u corrected for more than about a week. Some people should never be allowed to work in their current fields again.

The more time goes by and the more things like this come out, the more I am truly starting to believe that all we did from the beginning was to shift the potential of bad things to happen from one group (those that were older, had comorbidities/at risk) to another (kids, people's jobs and well being, the rest of us in general) and I have really begun to ask what good did any of this really did. And all of it was and still is being handled with all the care of a bull in a china shop.

One place to start: stop mandating vaccines for kids and young people and get masks off kids period.
Prexys Moon
AG
I'll never, ever forgive these idiots for stealing my son's senior year spring from him. *******s. spring sports, school, graduation, etc. Closing schools in Spring 2020 was absolutely, 100 percent unnecessary.

I'll never forget the Friday afternoon in April when Abbott announced school was done for the year. It was a cold dreary day and it fit perfectly. My wife and I knew it was over, senior year over, done with one word from the tyrants. Long night of looking at yearbooks and grieving what had been taken.

I still shudder thinking about hearing there was a new Abbott press conference and tuning in to see what was either being taken or given back. It was like the hunger games.

Thank God for Ron Desantis, or Abbott would have taken a lot longer to come around. A lot longer.
planoaggie123
AG

I hate that for your son. At the time "only" my daughters Kinder year was impacted but it obviously bled into her 1st grade year (including a few confrontations with the principal) and the reliance on technology to teach has remained since and will ultimately will be the most impactful "long COVID" symptom for kids.
Capitol Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I hate that for your son. At the time "only" my daughters Kinder year was impacted but it obviously bled into her 1st grade year (including a few confrontations with the principal) and the reliance on technology to teach has remained since and will ultimately will be the most impactful "long COVID" symptom for kids.
Exactly. To all of what you stated really. Working here in a district, you can see the issues everyday. There are no doubt behavioral and educational issues that are huge. A lot of kids have been very negatively impacted by this and it shows in classroom performance. But I would be remiss to not include the other opportunities and activities that kids had to (and in some cases still have to) give up in the name of mitigation that NEVER should have happened. Senior and junior proms, camps, sports, extracurriculars etc. Many tried to diminish these things b/c "people were dying" when they didn't realize the real negative effect and impact losing these things had on young people. And they will unfortunately never be repaid for what they had to sacrifice b/c of our overreaction.

Regardless of when the next uptick in cases occurs in the US, at this point nothing more can be done to protect the most vulnerable. We need to continue on without any further mitigations. There is a vaccine if they want it. Boosters too. If you are in that demographic, by all means, go get vaccinated and boosted. But unfortunately too many will demand that society overreact to increasing cases as we have since the beginning (when there may have been an excuse) and a great amount of this nonsense will continue. It's sad.
Prexys Moon
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Exactly. To all of what you stated really. Working here in a district, you can see the issues everyday. There are no doubt behavioral and educational issues that are huge. A lot of kids have been very negatively impacted by this and it shows in classroom performance. But I would be remiss to not include the other opportunities and activities that kids had to (and in some cases still have to) give up in the name of mitigation that NEVER should have happened. Senior and junior proms, camps, sports, extracurriculars etc. Many tried to diminish these things b/c "people were dying" when they didn't realize the real negative effect and impact losing these things had on young people. And they will unfortunately never be repaid for what they had to sacrifice b/c of our overreaction.

yes, yes, and yes. It's been two years since we were right in the middle of it. Still makes my blood boil. I used to drive by the high school and just cry.
TarponChaser
Prexys Moon said:

I'll never, ever forgive these idiots for stealing my son's senior year spring from him. *******s. spring sports, school, graduation, etc. Closing schools in Spring 2020 was absolutely, 100 percent unnecessary.

I'll never forget the Friday afternoon in April when Abbott announced school was done for the year. It was a cold dreary day and it fit perfectly. My wife and I knew it was over, senior year over, done with one word from the tyrants. Long night of looking at yearbooks and grieving what had been taken.

I still shudder thinking about hearing there was a new Abbott press conference and tuning in to see what was either being taken or given back. It was like the hunger games.

Thank God for Ron Desantis, or Abbott would have taken a lot longer to come around. A lot longer.

I definitely see where you're coming from but I do feel like March - June 2020 was early enough on that some of the policies can been forgiven because we simply didn't have a good handle on things yet.

I could be mistaken but that's my thought.

And this is coming from somebody who has been as staunchly anti-covidian and against the stupid responses as almost anybody.
planoaggie123
AG
Maybe you can say we didn't have a handle on things but there was some data....Italy showed early who this was impacting the most....we reacted to impact everyone instead of only the high risk...it was wrong...hopefully we never have a knee-jerk reaction like this again....
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Maybe you can say we didn't have a handle on things but there was some data....Italy showed early who this was impacting the most....we reacted to impact everyone instead of only the high risk...it was wrong...hopefully we never have a knee-jerk reaction like this again....
The initial valid concern was that young kids would be significant vectors and we could see staggering mortality in the teacher population. I think it was reasonable to pause BRIEFLY while we figured out what the heck this new virus was and how to best counter it. Once we figured out kids weren't great at spreading it schools should have gone back to normal, Fall 2020 at the latest (IMO).

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
planoaggie123
AG
I remember that argument and I won't take this any further...I just think it was a massive swing and miss
96ags
AG
It's just dishonest to sluff it off as "well we didn't know, so we had to do something".

We shouldn't have done anything unless we KNEW it would work. There were real cost to those decisions.

Capitol Ag
AG
96ags said:

[F]or me, it's just dishonest to sluff it off as "well we didn't know, so we had to do something".

We shouldn't have done anything unless we KNEW it would work. There were real cost to those decisions.

I think this is a good way to look at it. Yes, there was a lot of concern and perhaps a need to step back and look at this at least in March 2020. But I also agree that everything coming out of Italy and even China (normally I do not trust China obviously) seemed to point to this not hurting children and younger people. I really wanted the NCAAs to continue and same with spring pro and college sports and most school MS and HS activities. Heck, school could have kept going. We do now know it SHOULD have kept going.

In the end, just like you see with masking today and the push by the pharmaceutical companies to keep making more boosters available to those not at risk, we really cannot prove these would work. We keep making the same mistakes. Do we really need any of this? Where are the actual studies showing where these are needed or even work? Yet we seem to just move forward regardless. I fear that the first thing you see when cases do go back up is certain parts of the country closing schools again and activities ending or being postponed, kids being forced to mask up, pushing for kids to get boosters etc. I'm all for boosting the elderly and most at risk. But not the healthiest. And keep everything open moving forward. There is just nothing more that we can do or really need to do at this point.
LSB_2002
AG
I cringe every time I hear the stupid push for kids covid vax commercials on the radio! Infuriates me!
planoaggie123
AG
huge billboard at DNT and George Bush from Children's Hospital pushing COVID vaccine for kids...makes me sick...
DavysApprentice
AG
96ags said:

It's just dishonest to sluff it off as "well we didn't know, so we had to do something".

If you didn't shut down in March 2020 then you would have been absolutely crushed for letting the virus spread regardless of what organization you were affiliated with.

At the most I was partially ok with 2 weeks to slow the spread but when Trump essentially extended that after the two weeks were up I knew we were screwed.

No way he should have done that even then and of course then it meant no schools had any cover to open back up.

Surprisingly the large high school I work at did have an outdoor graduation that June in person. The seniors still lost a ton of stuff that they can never get back though and had most of their freshman year of college ruined as well by higher Ed tyrants.

All in all, what was done to kids during this whole ordeal can never be forgiven or forgotten. The people who made those terrible decisions can't be left in leadership positions. And if your school district wasn't offering full in person instruction by fall 2020 then I just feel terrible for you and your kids.
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

huge billboard at DNT and George Bush from Children's Hospital pushing COVID vaccine for kids...makes me sick...

COVID vax for healthy kids is silly. Sadly not every child is healthy and it is great to have some protection for that population.

But I agree, a billboard for it is silly.
planoaggie123
AG
100%. They are pushing for ALL kids. Not promoting for those at risk.

Edit: "were" to "are"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.