So is this an endemic now?

7,836 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Charpie
Capitol Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After watching this, I do think this is now a serious question and worthy of discussion here. Has this moved from a pandemic to an endemic and do we foresee anymore waves or was Omicron the sign that the severity of Covid has permanently lowered going forward?

YouBet
AG
It's been endemic for well over a year.
Hincemm
AG
YouBet said:

yes sir. every bit
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, at a minimum, delta and omicron were both Endemic Virus 101
Capitol Ag
AG
YouBet said:

My hopes are that policy makers stop treating it like a pandemic. Sure, things could change. But at this point it is hard to make an argument against completely and totally eliminating all restrictions and mandates. ZDogg makes a great case for that.

As a teacher, it was the quarantine that wiped out our numbers here, as no one was seriously ill and given how fast the dang thing spread, I am not so sure that just allowing everyone back the moment the fever was gone or most symptoms were gone as many didn't get a fever in the first place. Just like every other virus or illness. Mask IF you want for a few days. Sure, whatever. But the fact was the quarantine creates this false sense that the virus is still severe given the fact that people would disappear for a week or more as the illness would pass through the house. That would end up allowing many to justify a lot of behavior and support for restrictions and mandates. When in the end Omicron really was a very light cold for the vast majority of people, even the older folks and most at risk.
eric76
AG
With it being found in a number of animal species, I don't think there is any way that it can't be considered to be endemic.

That doesn't mean that all is lost, though. There are plenty of endemic diseases that have very limited impact against people. For example, although the plague is endemic in many parts of the country including the Texas Panhandle, only a handful of people get it each year. Other endemic diseases would include things like rabies, tularemia, hantavirus, and anthrax.

Our best chance is probably to develop vaccines that provide a long term immunity. With the reassortment process which we are reportedly already seeing, this could be tough.

In the meantime, we have to find ways to live with it. Don't worry about it more than you have to, but remain vigilant and ready to take action for your own safety and that of others should it be necessary.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Our best chance is that it stays on the path like omicron where it continues to get more mild while at the same time we continue to layer on natural immunity from continuing to catch it. I imagine vaccines will be a constant chase and guess like the flu shot
Sq 17
The reasoning is the virus is no longer a "novel corona". Those who survived either through vaccine or their natural system responding and fighting the virus effectively They will likely bet better at fighting the infection during subsequent exposures.
heineman78
eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Our best chance is that it stays on the path like omicron where it continues to get more mild while at the same time we continue to layer on natural immunity from continuing to catch it. I imagine vaccines will be a constant chase and guess like the flu shot
There's no scientific reason to expect it to keep weakening.
And there's no scientific reason to expect it not to.
Aston94
AG
eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

This is not accurate. Generally viruses get more mild over time as they want to survive and spread.
Capitol Ag
AG
eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Ya there is. Like pretty much our entire understanding of virology says that most viruses weaken as natural selection gets rid of the viruses that kill off most of their hosts. No host, no place to thrive.
chap
AG
eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Get Off My Lawn
eric76 said:

...Our best chance is probably to develop vaccines that provide a long term immunity. With the reassortment process which we are reportedly already seeing, this could be tough.
First off - your best chance is still your God-given immune system. Sure - vaccines and therapeutic and healthy lifestyle choices and hospital care contribute to improved outcomes - but your demographic had a baseline ~95% survivability prior to vaccination.

Secondly, you're conflating a trained immune system with the training mechanism.
The non-novel element takes the edge off, whether that's through hard-earned natural immunity, or assisted natural immunity (one of our current vaccines + natural infection), or a theoretical bulletproof vaccine.

And third is the dog-piled on virus natural selection trends.
Al Bula
AG
eric76 said:

can you please edit your post to include this is your opinion and not based on any sort of professional medical qualification?

I truly believe posts like this do a great disservice to this board and creates misinformation.
Capitol Ag
AG
eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Granted, if you are referring to Omicron specifically, Omicron is pretty dang weak as it is so in that sense, it may not be possible to get much "weaker". Has there been any real data on hospitalizations and deaths from omicron specifically and compared to say Delta, the flu and other viruses? I am under the impression it is less (regarding hospitalizations and deaths) than the flu or on the same level as it but might be wrong...
aTm2004
AG
YouBet said:

Credit to Rocky the Dog for pic.
eric76
AG
Aston94 said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

This is not accurate. Generally viruses get more mild over time as they want to survive and spread.
I don't know where this idea comes from.

If a virus was found only in humans, spread easily, and killed everyone it infected, then you might have a point. I'm not sure how it would even be possible for such a virus to evolve to that point. For a zoonosis, it just needs to keep going among one or more species.

Look at rabies. It kills nearly every being it infects but we are no closer to eradicating it than we were 200 years ago. There are still tens of thousands of people who die from it every year around the world. The limits on it are not that it is so lethal but that it doesn't spread so fast that it wipes out an entire species.

Evolution depends on those traits which enhance the reproduction of those members of the species. Any trait that makes the member of the species more fit to reproduce will have an edge over other traits. Those traits are only about fitness to reproduce, not about what they do to the species they infect.

I know of no virus that kills the host before it reproduces. If you know of any, please let me know of them. Unless there are such viruses, any virus has already reproduced at the point that it kills the individual. What is important for the evolution of the virus is the fitness of the virus to reproduce, not whether it kills individuals after it reproduces.

Also, most viruses do not kill the majority of their infected hosts. Rabies is the most notable exception, but there are some other viruses that kill most of its hosts. Covid is not such an exception.

In the case of humans, we are better able to identify diseased individuals and treat them or avoid them, but that is fairly recent. If you look just a few centuries back at the black plague (note that it was not caused by a virus), when a person was infected with yersinia pestis (from memory, might be mispelled) and got bubonic plague, they were often taken by their family into their homes oblivious to the fact that the pneumonic plague they would acquire was far more deadly than the bubonic plague. In the end, the person who had bubonic plague had maybe a 40% chance of surviving it while the rest of the household were all very likely to be dead from the pneumonic plague. With our greater knowledge and increased ability to deal with such diseases, we are far less likely to see this happen in the few cases of bubonic plague in the US each year.

Future variants of covid that emerge, whether from mutation or from reassortment, may be less lethal or they may be more lethal. There is no magic hand guiding them to be less lethal.
eric76
AG
Easy, Rod said:

eric76 said:

can you please edit your post to include this is your opinion and not based on any sort of professional medical qualification?

I truly believe posts like this do a great disservice to this board and creates misinformation.
Only if everyone who posts their opinion that viruses have to become weaker over time (which is not based on any scientific theory at all) edits their posts to say that their opinions are not based on any professional medical qualification.

The facts are that some viruses have been known to become more lethal.

In a recent ebola outbreak, there was evidence that a more lethal version of ebola had emerged. Fortunately, that more lethal variant is probably unlikely to have made its back into the reservoir species.

Another is the west nile virus.
eric76
AG
Capitol Ag said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Ya there is. Like pretty much our entire understanding of virology says that most viruses weaken as natural selection gets rid of the viruses that kill off most of their hosts. No host, no place to thrive.
Please provide citations to actual viral research to support this claim.

Even in the case of rabies which kills off nearly all of its hosts (possibly less than 10 human survivors in the last century or so out of millions of cases), rabies shows no indication of becoming any weaker. And covid is far from killing off most of its hosts.
Aston94
AG
eric76 said:

Aston94 said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

If a virus was found only in humans, spread easily, and killed everyone it infected, then you might have a point. I'm not sure how it would even be possible for such a virus to evolve to that point. For a zoonosis, it just needs to keep going among one or more species.

Look at rabies. It kills nearly every being it infects but we are no closer to eradicating it than we were 200 years ago. There are still tens of thousands of people who die from it every year around the world. The limits on it are not that it is so lethal but that it doesn't spread so fast that it wipes out an entire species.

Evolution depends on those traits which enhance the reproduction of those members of the species. Any trait that makes the member of the species more fit to reproduce will have an edge over other traits. Those traits are only about fitness to reproduce, not about what they do to the species they infect.

I know of no virus that kills the host before it reproduces. If you know of any, please let me know of them. Unless there are such viruses, any virus has already reproduced at the point that it kills the individual. What is important for the evolution of the virus is the fitness of the virus to reproduce, not whether it kills individuals after it reproduces.

Also, most viruses do not kill the majority of their infected hosts. Rabies is the most notable exception, but there are some other viruses that kill most of its hosts. Covid is not such an exception.

In the case of humans, we are better able to identify diseased individuals and treat them or avoid them, but that is fairly recent. If you look just a few centuries back at the black plague (note that it was not caused by a virus), when a person was infected with yersinia pestis (from memory, might be mispelled) and got bubonic plague, they were often taken by their family into their homes oblivious to the fact that the pneumonic plague they would acquire was far more deadly than the bubonic plague. In the end, the person who had bubonic plague had maybe a 40% chance of surviving it while the rest of the household were all very likely to be dead from the pneumonic plague. With our greater knowledge and increased ability to deal with such diseases, we are far less likely to see this happen in the few cases of bubonic plague in the US each year.

Future variants of covid that emerge, whether from mutation or from reassortment, may be less lethal or they may be more lethal. There is no magic hand guiding them to be less lethal.

Here you go Eric, read and learn. You are generally off from scientific consensus.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/12/13/virus-evolution/
eric76
AG
Aston94 said:

eric76 said:

Aston94 said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Here you go Eric, read and learn. You are generally off from scientific consensus.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/12/13/virus-evolution/

One sentence saying that they think it will weaken with no explanation? Note that the author of that piece is a science reporter, not a scientist.

From Chapter 17 of Viral Pathogenesis (Third Edition), https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128009642000173

Quote:

Do viruses evolve to a benign relationship with their hosts?

How does virulence influence viral evolution? It has been proposed that when a virus and host undergo co-evolution over a long period of time, a benign relationship will develop such that the virus will not cause disease. SIV is cited as an example. SIV strains are relatively benign in their natural simian hosts, where they have presumably been long established. However, when the SIVs mm strain crossed from its natural hostsooty mangabeysinto macaques, a novel host, it caused an AIDS syndrome.

However, a survey of mammalian viruses and their cognate hosts suggest that there is no necessary correlation between virulence and coevolution. Long-established virus infections range from inapparent to fatal. For instance, in the prevaccine era, poliovirus paralyzed only 1 person in every 150 infected (149 infections were inapparent), while rabies is 100% fatal in most of its animal and human hosts. Prior to smallpox eradication, there were two strains of variola virus. Variola major caused 30% mortality but variola minor only 1% mortality; yet each strain was maintained in the human population. It appears that viruses have used many strategies to perpetuate themselves in their host populations. Some strategies are benign, while others cause serious disease in their hosts.

Note that is from a virology research publication. For an ordinary magazine, check out this article in the Smithsonian magazine: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-viruses-evolve-180975343/

From the article:
Quote:

As we face the current pandemic, it will be important to understand how SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, is likely to evolve in the months and years ahead. It's possible the virus could lose its lethal character and settle into an evolutionary dtente with humanity. It might end up as just another cold virus, as may have happened to another coronavirus in the past. But it could also remain a serious threat or perhaps even evolve to become more lethal. The outcome depends on the complex and sometimes subtle interplay of ecological and evolutionary forces that shape how viruses and their hosts respond to one another.

One popular theory, endorsed by some experts, is that viruses often start off harming their hosts, but evolve toward a more benign coexistence. After all, many of the viruses we know of that trigger severe problems in a new host species cause mild or no disease in the host they originally came from. And from the virus's perspective, this theory asserts, hosts that are less sick are more likely to be moving around, meeting others and spreading the infection onward.

Other evolutionary biologists disagree. The pandemic certainly faded as more people became immune, but there's no solid evidence that OC43 itself evolved from highly virulent to mostly benign over the last century, they say. Even if it did, that does not mean SARS-CoV-2 will follow the same trajectory. "You can't just say it's going to become nicer, that somehow a well-adapted pathogen doesn't harm its host. Modern evolutionary biology, and a lot of data, shows that doesn't have to be true. It can get nicer, and it can get nastier," says Andrew Read, an evolutionary microbiologist at Penn State University. (Holmes is blunter: "Trying to predict virulence evolution is a mug's game," he says.)

To understand why it's so hard to predict changes in virulence, Read says it's important to recognize the difference between virulence that is, how sick a virus makes its host and its transmissibility, or how easily it passes from one host individual to another. Evolution always favors increased transmissibility, because viruses that spread more easily are evolutionarily fitter that is, they leave more descendants. But transmissibility and virulence aren't linked in any dependable way, Read says. Some germs do just fine even if they make you very sick. The bacteria that cause cholera spread through diarrhea, so severe disease is good for them. Malaria and yellow fever, which are transmitted by mosquitos, can spread just fine even from a person at death's door.

Respiratory viruses, like influenza and the human coronaviruses, need hosts that move around enough to breathe on one another, so extremely high virulence might be detrimental in some cases. But there's no obvious evolutionary advantage for SARS-CoV-2 to reduce its virulence, because it pays little price for occasionally killing people: It spreads readily from infected people who are not yet feeling sick, and even from those who may never show symptoms of illness. "To be honest, the novel coronavirus is pretty fit already," Geoghegan says.

Nor are there many documented instances of viruses whose virulence has abated over time. The rare, classic example is the myxoma virus, which was deliberately introduced to Australia in the 1950s from South America to control invasive European rabbits. Within a few decades, the virus evolved to reduce its virulence, albeit only down to 70 to 95 percent lethality from a whopping 99.8 percent. (It has since ticked up again.)
It seems to me that many of those who argue that viruses tend to become more benign tend to anthropomorphize the viruses. They talk in terms of what the virus want and its goals.

Viruses do have any capacity for thought. They do not want anything. They do not desire anything. They have no goals. They do not say, "If I become less dangerous, I will survive better."

Rather, when they mutate, the mutation may increase their evolutionary fitness, may decrease their evolutionary fitness, or may have little or no effect at all. And as the Smithsonian article makes very clear, transmissibility is considerably more important than virulence, and there is no clear connection between the two. If a mutation enables the virus to be more transmissible, that mutation is favored regardless of what effect it may have on virulence if it has any effect at all.
eric76
AG
For a more scientific discussion of viral evolution and virulence, check out this article from Nature Review Genetics, The phylogenomics of evolving virus virulence

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-018-0055-5

At one point in the article, the authors are looking at various diseases and how the virulence has changed over time. Note what it has to say about Merek's disease -- that imperfect vaccines may increase virulence.

(Yeah, this has been mentioned before, but often with distracting non-scientific argle bargle.)

Quote:

Marek's disease virus

Whether 'imperfect' (that is, 'leaky') vaccination against infectious disease, in which disease symptoms are reduced but there is less impact on virus replication and transmission, will change the selection pressures acting on the pathogen and affect virulence evolution has been the source of debate 97,98. Although still contentious, particularly in the case of human disease, there is good evidence that imperfect vaccination has increased virulence in the case of MDV, a DNA herpesvirus that poses a major problem to the poultry industry 99. In the 1960s, the appearance of virulent MDV strains forced the development of the first generation of Marek's disease vaccines. However, because these vaccines were imperfect, 'very virulent' MDV began to appear within 10 years, necessitating a second-generation vaccine. This very virulent MDV was followed, more rapidly, by the appearance of 'very virulent plus' MDV, requiring a third-generation vaccine (Fig. 3). Imperfect MDV vaccines enhance virulence by elongating the infectious periods and hence transmission potential of virulent strains that would have been removed by natural selection before transmission in the absence of vaccination99. Although the genomic basis to MDV virulence evolution is currently uncertain, with some causative amino acid changes proposed100, initial phylogenomic studies suggest that, as in the case of MYXV, there are multiple genetic pathways to high virulence101 (and which again may reflect the fairly large size of the viral genome). Not only does virulence evolution in MDV have important implications for vaccination strategies against other diseases in which vaccine efficacy is fairly low102, but it also shows that in some circumstances increased virulence can be selectively advantageous.

From the caption for Figure 3 referenced in the quote above:
Quote:

In the 1960s, a vaccine was developed for Marek's disease virus (MDV) of chickens present on poultry farms. This imperfect vaccine reduced disease symptoms but did not prevent virus replication, thereby extending the infectious periods, and hence potential for transmission, of virulent strains that would have been removed by natural selection before transmission to a new host in the pre-vaccine era 99. Because of this, 'very virulent' MDV began to appear within 10 years, necessitating the development of a second-generation vaccine that was also imperfect. This was followed, in an even shorter period, by the appearance of 'very virulent plus' MDV, requiring a third-generation vaccine. Although the genomic basis of MDV virulence is currently unknown, the phylogenies at the bottom of the figure hypothetically assign virulence to multiple causative mutations (as in the case of myxoma virus). The dashed arrows indicate the evolution of viruses to the next virulence grade.
Aston94
AG
One sentence? Come on man. The entire paper disagrees with you.
Aston94
AG
Here is more for your listening/reading pleasure.

Viruses which transmit via respiratory system generally get weaker.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/09/1071663583/viruses-evolve-and-weaken-over-time-what-does-that-mean-for-the-coronavirus
96ags
AG
Aston94 said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/09/1071663583/viruses-evolve-and-weaken-over-time-what-does-that-mean-for-the-coronavirus
I applaud your effort man, but you are arguing with the hardest working man in (whatever the topic is).

Whatever you know or have done, he has done twice and still owns the tee shirt.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
96ags said:

Aston94 said:

I applaud your effort man, but you are arguing with the hardest working man in (whatever the topic is).

Whatever you know or have done, he has done twice and still owns the tee shirt.
eric76
AG
Aston94 said:

Read it again.

Quote:

So that's all to say omicron is clearly more mild in terms of the infection fatality ratio, in terms of the hospitalization rate. How much of that is because the virus has evolved to be milder in all the ways we were just talking about in terms of this relationship between transmission and virulence? Possibly - also totally possible it's about the same amount of virulence, but our population has so much more immunity that we don't get nearly as sick. And this is true even in places where the virus has transmitted so much, unfortunately, in the past that there is a lot of population-level immunity even without high vaccination rates.

In any event, I've never said that a virus cannot weaken. What I have said repeatedly is that a virus doesn't have to weaken.
GAC06
AG
eric76 said:

Aston94 said:

Read it again.

Quote:

So that's all to say omicron is clearly more mild in terms of the infection fatality ratio, in terms of the hospitalization rate. How much of that is because the virus has evolved to be milder in all the ways we were just talking about in terms of this relationship between transmission and virulence? Possibly - also totally possible it's about the same amount of virulence, but our population has so much more immunity that we don't get nearly as sick. And this is true even in places where the virus has transmitted so much, unfortunately, in the past that there is a lot of population-level immunity even without high vaccination rates.

In any event, I've never said that a virus cannot weaken. What I have said repeatedly is that a virus doesn't have to weaken.

No, you said this:

" There's no scientific reason to expect it to keep weakening."

You were wrong. It's ok.
eric76
AG
GAC06 said:

eric76 said:

Aston94 said:

Read it again.

Quote:

No, you said this:

" There's no scientific reason to expect it to keep weakening."

You were wrong. It's ok.
If there is no scientific reason to expect it to keep weakening, then it can weaken or it can become stronger. Or it might stay about the same.

"There is no scientific reason to expect it to keep weakening" and "it doesn't have to weaken" is the same thing.
gumgardener
AG
heineman78 said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

It's actually not science that determines how the virus will look over time. It's statistics. Ya'll are arguing a moot point.
eric76
AG
For what it's worth, the new BA.2 variant of Omicron appears to be not only more contagious, but also more virulent according to some very recent reports. It is also said to have already become the dominant variant in a number of countries.

Keep in mind that the research, as is often the case, is far from conclusive.
eric76
AG
gumgardener said:

heineman78 said:

eric76 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

It's actually not science that determines how the virus will look over time. It's statistics. Ya'll are arguing a moot point.
Exactly.

At this point in time, trying to figure out what future variants are going to be like is probably like throwing darts at a dartboard while blindfolded. All the wishful thinking in the world isn't going to get anyone any closer to to the target.

The virus might get less virulent and it might get more virulent, or it might not change much. A relatively low death rate among those who get the disease isn't going to make much, if any, effect at all.
AG81xx
AG
You have to consider the effect of the virus's strength on the behavior of the host. A sicker person will know they have it sooner and isolate more making it less transmittable. A weaker virus should be more transmittable as the host doesn't know he has it and exhibits behavior that promotes transmission.
Saying there is no connection between transmissibility and virulence would ignore this effect.
eric76
AG
AG81xx said:

You have to consider the effect of the virus's strength on the behavior of the host. A sicker person will know they have it sooner and isolate more making it less transmittable. A weaker virus should be more transmittable as the host doesn't know he has it and exhibits behavior that promotes transmission.
Saying there is no connection between transmissibility and virulence would ignore this effect.
That may be true at the extremes. If a rabid dog is aggressively barking at you and drooling all over the place, you probably aren't going to be inclined to pet it.

In general, though, people don't seem to be that careful about avoiding someone who is infected with various diseases and those who are infected often don't do much to avoid mixing in public.

So in an ideal world, that may be the case, but this is the real world.
AG81xx
AG
eric76 said:

AG81xx said:

That may be true at the extremes. If a rabid dog is aggressively barking at you and drooling all over the place, you probably aren't going to be inclined to pet it.

In general, though, people don't seem to be that careful about avoiding someone who is infected with various diseases and those who are infected often don't do much to avoid mixing in public.

So in an ideal world, that may be the case, but this is the real world.
I will have to disagree with you….in the "real world" when you are sicker than a dog you pretty much have no choice in limiting contact with others. The real super spreaders are the ones that don't know they have it and go about their normal life's (see Omicron).
To say it only applies to an "ideal" world is only grasping for answers that fit your narrative.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.