Good news on natural immunity

5,932 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DadHammer
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CDC:

NYT (from CDC):

Gordo14
I mean in general the recovered population is less at risk from COVID-19 than the vaccinated population. The vaccinated population is older and has more co-morbidities than the recovered population. However, I think Texags gets it wrong when they view things from a bianary lens - immunity is a gradient not a one or zero. This doesn't mean there isn't value in getting vaccinated if you have bad previous infection, and if you've never had COVID then even by this data it's abundantly clear that you should get vaccinated.

At the end of the day it's just a ****ing shot. I don't think it should be mandated, but at the same time some the resistance to it is and has been ridiculous. A lot of people have assumed they had had COVID and were wrong and if you're a country trying to manage on a population scale, I can see how you'd view proof of vaccination as a more reliable metric than trying to determine if people have had COVID. It's very clear that in both the delta wave and omicron wave that a lot of people that thought they were immune to COVID and were unvaccinated were not immune. And that affects society as a whole.

At the end of the day I fully expect all of this to go away over the next 6 months or so because the virus will be endemic and case counting will be irrelevant and bad health outcomes will be much less common due to the cumulative level of immunity in society. I would still recommend you get booster shots in the fall - just as you should get a flu shot.
GAC06
AG
That was full on thoughtcrime just a short while ago. Nice to see them stating what we all already knew though.
thenational
AG
Never gotten a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu. Remind why I should get a flu shot?
cone
AG
personally, I think getting vaccinated before getting natural immunity is/was the best play

getting pneumonia sucks
coastalAg
AG
thenational said:

Never gotten a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu. Remind why I should get a flu shot?

Because getting the flu sucks. I got it in 2019 and it put me down for two weeks.

Fitch
AG
cone said:

personally, I think getting vaccinated before getting natural immunity is/was the best play

getting pneumonia sucks
Winner winner chicken dinner.
jopatura
AG
I think it makes sense on the surface.

If you were healthy enough to survive COVID round 1, you were likely going to survive COVID round 2, even if you felt the same or did a little worse the second time around. It's also more likely COVID round 2 was Omicron, which just a different form of the virus all together. But there's no guarantee whatsoever you were going to survive COVID round 1. Many unvaccinated people that had major issues with round 1 didn't survive to trial round 2.

If you're vaccinated, especially early alpha vaccinated, there was likely a reason for it (immunosuppressed, age, weight). If you caught Delta vaccinated and had multiple comorbidities, especially weight and age, there's no guarantee you were going to skate through.
WES2006AG
AG
coastalAg said:

thenational said:

Because getting the flu sucks. I got it in 2019 and it put me down for two weeks.
So much this. As I get older fever sucks more and more.
Old Buffalo
AG
cone said:

getting pneumonia sucks

Not vaccinated and recovered in 24 hours, so... let's discuss both extremes.
cone
AG
you rolled the dice and came away a winner

i chose to further reduce my odds of pneumonia. i feel like a winner too.
Old Buffalo
AG
You act like the dice is extremely weighted. It's not.

Again, it goes back to my point of extremes.
88planoAg
AG
And left out of the conversation are those who recovered before the vaccines were available.

I made the choice to monitor my antibody level and still have antibodies 13 months later. No vaccine because based on objective lab reports I'm good.
aggie2812-2
AG
Did the same thing after talking with my doctor. Tested two times with the last being this past month and still have around the same amount after 12 months. I told her I would be open to it if my antibodies started dropping.
bkag9824
AG
The most fervent pushback I've seen is in response to mandating the shot, even though data and institutional knowledge indicated immunity was at minimum comparable to vaccination. Instead, literally thousands of people have lost, are in the process of losing, or operating under the threat of losing their employment based on demonstrably bad data and policy.

I acquired Covid while "socially distanced" (whatever the **** that means with an airborne virus) from a neighbor who didn't know he had it well before the vaccines were available. I took no conscious roll of the dice and my employer has restricted my ability to do my job and threatened to fire me if I can't deliver even though I pose no statistically appreciable difference in risk to my coworkers.

Illogical policy decisions like that harden even the most reasonable people.
Aston94
AG
Old Buffalo said:

cone said:

getting pneumonia sucks

To me, the risk of pneumonia, even if it was a small one, was the reason I got the shots. I had pneumonia 5-6 years ago and really felt like I was dying. I never want to experience that again, and given my personal health issues with allergies I just did not want to risk the chance of pneumonia.

Now that I am vaccinated and the virus is in a much less severe form I don't really worry about contracting it. Natural immunity is great, but the vaccine helped many avoid serious illness until the virus mutated to a less severe form.
El Chupacabra
Old Buffalo said:

You act like the dice is extremely weighted. It's not.

Again, it goes back to my point of extremes.
The covid dice is extremely weighted...in favor of mild or asymptomatic cases that pose no harm to the roller.
JFrench
AG
cone said:

Don't cash in your chips just yet. Know two vaccinated that just got home from 3-4 week stays for pneumonia.
cone
AG
100% agree

I'm no John Wayne and pneumonia sucks
thenational
AG
not getting the covid jab or the flu shot. Never have, never will..
Capitol Ag
AG
Quote:

At the end of the day it's just a ****ing shot. I don't think it should be mandated, but at the same time some the resistance to it is and has been ridiculous. A lot of people have assumed they had had COVID and were wrong and if you're a country trying to manage on a population scale, I can see how you'd view proof of vaccination as a more reliable metric than trying to determine if people have had COVID. It's very clear that in both the delta wave and omicron wave that a lot of people that thought they were immune to COVID and were unvaccinated were not immune. And that affects society as a whole.
The biggest issue is nuance is a real thing in health, wellness, medicine and science in general. But nuance has been ignored by leadership. And b/c of that, those in power and business leadership attempting to make policy regarding vaccination tend to be about as binary as you can get. The entire "get vaccinated or have serious illness" angle is a perfect example. Most still won't have a serious, hospital requiring infection from covid. Adds to the trust issues many have. Then to make things worse, the current administration and certain other state and local leadership have double downed their pressure to get vaccinated. Combined with the media going all in to only report the virus as deadly to all vs very select groups, and we now see too many just not wanting to get vaccinated. I get it. I get those wanting to wait until they feel more comfortable as well. The worst thing that happens with this is forcing the unvaccinated to be vaccinated. Of course there will be push back. Again, the messaging and direction the last 2 years has been an unmitigated disaster in many ways. At least we actually have the number of vaccinated we already do. And to not realize that natural immunity works similarly to vaccination has been comical. This might have been a "novel" virus initially but it is still a virus.

A lot have gotten vaccinated. Probably enough but I do not know. One thing I do believe is any and all attempts to force or mandate vaccination has to cease. More will eventually be vaccinated over time with a calm reasonable approach to this. I get businesses many time are worried that those that get ill will sue. My only answer is to stay the course and let employees make their own decisions. The government, at all levels, needs to back down as well. It's not working anyway. SCOTUS shot down POTUS regarding this last week. A decision I 100% agree with. But the issue I have is that you know they are working on another angle. My advice to them would be give it up. Stop trying to come up with a forceful way to get more vaccinated. Find more imaginative and open approaches. Doubt it will happen obviously.
Clown_World
[Wrong forum. Keep the political comments off this forum. This is the warning. - Staff]
Old Buffalo
AG
CoachO_08 said:

[Wrong forum. Keep the political comments off this forum. This is the warning. - Staff]
The post above is pretty political, too....
bkag9824
AG
Directly from the CDC.

What I still don't understand is the continued push and encouragement to vaccinate those with prior infection. The reduction of relative and real risk in unvaccinated with prior infection to vaccinated with prior infection is not sufficient in my eyes (especially with acknowledged increased risk of complications with vaccination post infection and recovery).

I just don't get it...

htxag09
AG
Aston94 said:

Old Buffalo said:

cone said:

getting pneumonia sucks

To me, the risk of pneumonia, even if it was a small one, was the reason I got the shots. I had pneumonia 5-6 years ago and really felt like I was dying. I never want to experience that again, and given my personal health issues with allergies I just did not want to risk the chance of pneumonia.

Now that I am vaccinated and the virus is in a much less severe form I don't really worry about contracting it. Natural immunity is great, but the vaccine helped many avoid serious illness until the virus mutated to a less severe form.
I had pneumonia about 4 years ago. Was in the ICU for 6 days, in the hospital for 7 or 8 total. I was training for a marathon and went from running 16+ mile runs (30+ miles a week) to taking over a month to be able to run a mile without stopping. And this is after the hospital stay where I thought I may die as nothing was making better.

I really don't care if my risk of getting covid pneumonia was .01%, that **** sucked and I thought the vaccine was worth it. Especially when you take into consideration that if you've had pneumonia you're more at risk to get it again, or at least that's my understanding.
Loyalty
AG
88planoAg said:

And left out of the conversation are those who recovered before the vaccines were available.

I made the choice to monitor my antibody level and still have antibodies 13 months later. No vaccine because based on objective lab reports I'm good.

Exactly. Same here. Natural immunity has worked great for my wife and I. Have been around countless folks who called us back and said hey we have Covid. Been just fine. Had antibody test in November. Doc said I was a strong positive.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Same at the Fairchild home!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
snowdog90
cone said:

Some people roll the dice and get the vaccine and end up dead, with blood clots, heart conditions, etc. If the vaccine were harmless and worked as effectively as the "experts" said it would, I'd get it tomorrow.

I rolled the dice, got covid couple weeks ago, took ivermectin and other stuff and got over it in a few days. Why would I get vaccinated now? Absolutely no reason.
cone
AG
no reason for you to now, I agree
Aston94
AG
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't get vaccine now either. Natural immunity is great.
Hincemm
AG
thenational said:

not getting the covid jab or the flu shot. Never have, never will..

So what are your thoughts on it?
cisgenderedAggie
bkag9824 said:

Directly from the CDC.

What I still don't understand is the continued push and encouragement to vaccinate those with prior infection. The reduction of relative and real risk in unvaccinated with prior infection to vaccinated with prior infection is not sufficient in my eyes (especially with acknowledged increased risk of complications with vaccination post infection and recovery).

I just don't get it...

At this point, it's out of their hands. For many, vaccination/not vaccination has become a crusade. Public health agencies would have to scream in unison for years that people should not get vaccinated to change this, and it would likely only flip the polarity of the crusade. They won't do this, nor should they.

There are people out there still spraying FedEx packages with bleach…
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
cone said:

Wrong. This is like rolling a die where 5 of the 6 sides are in your favor.
Get Off My Lawn
Year of the Germaphobe said:

cone said:

Wrong. This is like rolling a die where 5 of the 6 sides are in your favor.
5 of 6?! Try 47 out of 50. And that's just a case which doesn't require hospitalization. Correct that downward if you're young and healthy. And then the risk of death is a further fraction of that.

Sure, there's "a chance" but it's somewhere in the ballpark of the risk of getting male breast cancer.
cone
AG
i'm surprised people are so intolerant of other people's risk calculations
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.