Hospitalization among 3x-vaxxed 80+ yr lower than 12-29 yr old unvaxxed

5,614 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lexofer
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AJ02
AG
Is that supposed to be shocking?
cisgenderedAggie
nm
redcrayon
AG
Is the rate per 100K in that age group or per 100K in that age group who actually were infected with COVID? Asking because you're much more likely to be infected with COVID if you're out living life rather than staying home.

Also, are all of these people hospitalized with COVID or for COVID?
Teslag
AG
Safe. Effective. Free. It's simply moronic to argue otherwise.
AgResearch
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Well....they're not free. That's what taxes are all about.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
This will likely be completely debunked in the next few days. If it sounds unbelievable, it probably is.
RAB91
I'm guessing this hospital is having a different experience.

SUag
AG
There is a difference in total numbers and % per 100k. There is also a difference in "vaccinated" and 3 shots.

These details are key here.

Experts are proclaiming fully vaxxed plus boosted is the best way to mitigate Covid/Omicron and this result would support that claim.
J. Walter Weatherman
Yep, vaccines work to reduce the severity, no question there. Everything else is pointless theater.
BCG Disciple
AG
AJ02 said:

Is that supposed to be shocking?

It would be shocking to me if accurate.

The numbers seem small and make me question data accuracy. How many have been triple vaxxed, etc. Would be a great data point for triple vaxxed if accurate. Still not high enough of a risk for low risk members of my family to be vaxxed.
Troglodyte
AG
If we were only talking about Covid survival, would you rather be 80 and triple vaxed OR 25 and unvaxed? There are no more details on co-morbidities.

Pretty easy answer for me regardless for your Twitter stat.
spherical
AG
Yea… I think everyone would prefer to be 25 over 80…
RAB91
SUag said:

There is a difference in total numbers and % per 100k. There is also a difference in "vaccinated" and 3 shots.

These details are key here.

Experts are proclaiming fully vaxxed plus boosted is the best way to mitigate Covid/Omicron and this result would support that claim.
And then they'll claim a 4th/5th/6th booster means fully vaxxed.

And nobody was saying there's not a benefit to getting vaccinated for a certain percentage of the population. My only point was that I'm guessing the numbers of that hospital system don't match the ones in the OP.

At a minimum, the idea of this being a pandemic of the unvaccinated has been put to rest.
amercer
AG
This would be great news (for the old people. I don't want young people in the hospital either), but it is contrary to most of what we've seen so far.

Could be omicron specific though. With delta being an unvaccinated kid was still way safer than being a double vaccinated 80 year old. Different virus, third shot, slightly older young people in the comparison group.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Good! Get ur vax, maybe you need your 5th one? Ok not changing my mind.
cisgenderedAggie
Data are past 120 days as of Jan 13. There's probably as much, if not more, delta in this dataset than omicron.
amercer
AG
Is there a breakdown over that period? The last 30 days have seen more cases than the 6 months before that, so I'd have to think the data set is heavily skewed to omicron.

Plus omicron has been rampantly spreading in hospitals. Getting it in a hospital is still bad (kind of by definition, if you are in the hospital you are high risk), but it needs be differentiated from cases that actually send you to the hospital when we are talking about vaccine efficacy.
cisgenderedAggie
Doesn't appear to be, at least not in that presentation. As is usual with these health authority statistics, it doesn't appear to be a particularly thoughtful analysis. Just summary stats for a handful of groupings at a rather high level.

Best I can find is a histogram under their VOC tab that shows proportion of variants sampled over time. Delta isn't drowned out until about Christmas, and the AUC over the period (eyeballed) is heavy tilted toward delta. Not perfect or definitive, but probably more than I'm interested in digging myself.

Vaccines work and I'm glad it's helping the most at risk population level. 237 in 100k for unvaccinated under 30 is still below my give a **** level.
agsalaska
AG
RAB91 said:

And I am going to guess the vaccination rate in Halifax is very high. So 33 out of 70 hospitalizations are from a very small segment. Not that I am surprised by that.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DrEvazanPhD
Salute The Marines said:

Only the sith deal in absolutes.
billydean05
So 12-29 go to hospital very minimally and 80+ who are vaccinated very minimally, so all ages vaccinated very minimally hospitalized. Time to stop posting/reporting data on cases and hospitalizations and go on 100% back to normal life.
Sapper Redux
agsalaska said:

RAB91 said:

And I am going to guess the vaccination rate in Halifax is very high. So 33 out of 70 hospitalizations are from a very small segment. Not that I am surprised by that.

78% of the population is fully vaccinated, but only 30% have the booster.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
AgResearch said:

Salute The Marines said:

Well....they're not free. That's what taxes are all about.
AgLA06
AG
Sapper Redux said:

agsalaska said:

RAB91 said:

78% of the population is fully vaccinated, but only 30% have the booster.

That tends to happen when the "scientific facts" for the vaccine turn out to be incorrect and it doesn't actually work. Or when much of Europe is against the booster because there has been little to no studies on what a booster does long term. Or when federal executives over approving the booster resign when it's rammed through outside of normal process. Or when the recommendation is to vaccinate kids while the data makes no sense to do so.

Start with the failed leadership who have got us to this situation where 50% less of America no longer trust what they are being told. Half of America wasn't suddenly too lazy to go back for a second or third shot after making the effort to get the first.
Sapper Redux
Halifax is in Canada.
West Point Aggie
AG
LOL…"free"
Let’s Go Brandon!
AgLA06
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Halifax is in Canada.

US stats are almost identical for percentage vaccinated versus percentage booster. I wasn't speaking to a tiny city in Nova Scotia that is irrelevant to trends. That's why I specifically stated the US.
fig96
AG
agsalaska said:

RAB91 said:

People seem to enjoy posting stats like this without considering the percentages of the total population then accuse others of being dishonest.
Neo Reloaded
AG
The key stat for me is the average person who has died from Covid had 5 or more comorbidities. (And was typically elderly)

If you are in this category, you should take more precautions versus folks with zero or one comorbidity.

The one size fits all approach to this with strict mandates etc is just overkill and overreach.
Capitol Ag
AG
PJYoung said:

I just see an opportunity for the headline, "12-29 year olds more likely to be hospitalized from Covid than those over 80 years old, study shows"
AggieUSMC
AG
I don't buy it for a second. I've had many 80+ yo vaccinated patients in my hospital. They tend to recover better than the unvaccinated ones but they do need admission at least for a little while.

In the last year I've worked here, I've had only 1 COVID patient under 30 and she was a morbidly obese. And I've had only 1 patient under 40.
lexofer
AG
AgLA06 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Halifax is in Canada.

US stats are almost identical for percentage vaccinated versus percentage booster. I wasn't speaking to a tiny city in Nova Scotia that is irrelevant to trends. That's why I specifically stated the US.
Halifax Health is in Daytona Beach, Florida. A small sample from a single hospital at one point in time is not proof. You can see a week later shows a large change.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.