Good news: Omicron Data from South Africa

7,477 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TheMasterplan
Coates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
50% hospitalizations, 25% ICU and 10% of the deaths vs Delta

Another Doug
AG
California not Africa. 50% hospitalizations compared to delta is going still going to be a ton, California will peak at least 5x number of peak o cases versus delta
Coates
Another Doug said:

California not Africa. 50% hospitalizations compared to delta is going still going to be a ton, California will peak at least 5x number of peak o cases versus delta

Lol, no clue why I put S Africa, covid brain I suppose.
JP_Losman
AG
Omicron IFR 1 in 10,000

Alpha variant was 2 in 1,000
Philip J Fry
AG
Are hospitals supposed to have tons of empty beds all the time? I don't understand the concern. The whole point of a hospital is to be used.
Coates
Another Doug said:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/COVID-San-Francisco-staff-shortage-UCSF-16758335.php

San Francisco hospital official says 70% of Covid hospitalizations aren't in because of covid.
amercer
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Are hospitals supposed to have tons of empty beds all the time? I don't understand the concern. The whole point of a hospital is to be used.

It's an interesting fact, that should have been super obvious before but clearly no one really thought of it. Hospitals might be the most expensive buildings to build, supply, maintain, and staff in the whole world. Of course the aren't built for a lot of extra capacity.
Sapper Redux
Philip J Fry said:

Good thing the beds self-diagnose, treat, care for, and monitor patients with no human assistance.
AgsMyDude
AG
JP_Losman said:

Omicron IFR 1 in 10,000

Alpha variant was 2 in 1,000

Do you happen to have a source on this?
Capitol Ag
AG
More proof that Omicron requires no real need for mitigation and mandates. Obviously, different variants might have a different outcome in the future, but this is how evolution typically works. The dominant strain is the one that kills the least hosts so it can spread at a maximum level. Still blown away that so many places around the country and the world have taken aggressive 2020 approaches to this. Bad strategy as it becomes a way to either scare the hell out of people unnecessarily and/or is tantamount to a boy crying wolf so that when there is a real problem variant, no one listens.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Philip J Fry said:

That's sort of the whole problem. Most hospitals run pretty close to capacity all the time. It's the most economical way to do things. You don't get paid for empty beds, but your costs are pretty much the same. But that's not a good fit for a pandemic with a drastic increase in hospitalizations. There's just nowhere to put all those extra people. That's why the initial plan was to increase "surge capacity" with temporary changes and mobile hospitals with the initial waves of COVID. The problem with delta was less the physical capacity of the hospitals and more to do with staffing. Many staff became ill, and many more were burnt out and left patient care. So we had situations where dozens of beds were emtpy.

Just a tangent. To the original point, we're seeing a ton of Omicron here but much, much less severe illness. It's not holding a candle to last August/September
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Capitol Ag said:

More proof that Omicron requires no real need for mitigation and mandates. Obviously, different variants might have a different outcome in the future, but this is how evolution typically works. The dominant strain is the one that kills the least hosts so it can spread at a maximum level. Still blown away that so many places around the country and the world have taken aggressive 2020 approaches to this. Bad strategy as it becomes a way to either scare the hell out of people unnecessarily and/or is tantamount to a boy crying wolf so that when there is a real problem variant, no one listens.
Agreed all around. Vaccines are still good mitigation, and they've been freely available since April. This strain is not nearly as bad. Honestly, if this had been the first strain of the pandemic, then it would have been no big deal.

It's also morbidly cool to see virology play out in real time. More contagious, less severe viruses spread better and provide immunity against the more severe strains. So over time, the disease gets less dangerous and you end up with another common cold virus. It's sort of nuts to think that maybe all these dumb cold viruses we have now started as deadly pandemics
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
coolerguy12
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Philip J Fry said:

Good thing the beds self-diagnose, treat, care for, and monitor patients with no human assistance.

Is your argument that hospitals are at capacity because they don't have enough people to staff the beds? If so I wonder why we don't have enough people to staff them? Did anything happen that caused a lot of people to stop working in the healthcare field?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Everyone is a vector to spread omicron, with one exception -> those that already had covid do not seem to be a big factor.
Sapper Redux
DannyDuberstein said:

Everyone is a vector to spread omicron, with one exception -> those that already had covid do not seem to be a big factor.

No, the risk of reinfection with Omicron after a prior infection, especially more than 6 months ago, is extremely high.
Post removed:
by user
SanDiegoAg12
AG
How many vaxxed people do you know getting Covid right now?
mncag
Vaxed ,had the vid this week,very mild, headache one day
DadHammer
AG
SanDiegoAg12 said:

How many vaxxed people do you know getting Covid right now?

Just about every one of them.
Philip J Fry
AG
Average Guy said:

Sapper Redux said:

Philip J Fry said:

Somehow I don't think you understood the statement. An equivalent statement would be:

Quote:

"Are hospitals supposed to have tons of empty beds with idle staff waiting by to treat patients who might fill them all the time?"

The whole point is that minimal excess capacity is going to be a normal condition.
This. Hospitals have had over a year now to figure out how to operate in these conditions. I don't particularly have any sympathy anymore for overworked doctors/nurses anymore. Especially when they've laid off those that don't want the vaccine that:

1) Doesn't prevent you from getting covid
2) Doesn't prevent you from spreading covid
Get Off My Lawn
There are clearly some posters here who very clearly live in a bubble. The vast majority of the world cannot work from home, enjoy touch-free delivery, and enjoy CNN-enduced moral superiority for their "cleanliness" and "virtue."

Viruses will tear through the population GLOBALLY and blaming people for making personal risk choices that you don't like is incredibly arrogant.

There used to be a "pull together" attitude in this country, but that was corrupted into an "us vs them" attitude by folks who misbelieve that it's possible to stop an airborne virus or that this virus is an existential threat worthy of any and all sacrifices.

With each variant (and especially Omicron), the failings of that selfish perspective become more apparent. To demand that others forego living a social or meaningful life - when they're neither sick nor at high risk - is in fact an extreme position.
Jabin
Quote:

There used to be a "pull together" attitude in this country, but that was corrupted into an "us vs them" attitude by folks who misbelieve that it's possible to stop an airborne virus or that this virus is an existential threat worthy of any and all sacrifices.

With each variant (and especially Omicron), the failings of that selfish perspective become more apparent. To demand that others forego living a social or meaningful life - when they're neither sick nor at high risk - is in fact an extreme position.
It seems to me that the extremes of both sides have a selfish perspective.
Coates
Living a normal life isn't selfish.
Jabin
Coates said:

Sure it can be - anytime one fails to take into account others, it's selfish.
Coates
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. There is no personal responsibility anymore. If you're high risk you can take whatever precautions you need, covid did not change that.

By your logic smokers, people who are obese, etc are selfish because their poor health decision drive up insurance rates and take up hospital beds when they become ill from years of smoking and obesity.
RafterAg223
AG
Jabin said:

Coates said:

Sure it can be - anytime one fails to take into account others, it's selfish.
Well then I'd suggest we start outlawing a massive amount of social habits/behaviors that exist with or without covid. No, living a normal life is not selfish. It's entirely up to each individual to assess their own risk and mitigate accordingly.
Jabin
Not everyone can mitigate or mitigate adequately.

And the question isn't whether people should mitigate (they should to the extent that they can), the question we're discussing is whether it might be selfish to keep living your life as if Covid didn't exist.

Let's take a hypothetical - a 24 year old living with his grandmother. She's providing a free/cheap place for him to live; he's helping her out a bit. Is it selfish for the grandson not to make any changes to his pre-Covid lifestyle in order to protect his grandmother?

And I'm not talking about government mandates or anything like that. I'm talking about the decisions each of us make in how to live our own lives. The very definition of selfishness is to think only of oneself. Shouldn't we think of others, also?
AgsMyDude
AG
Take it to another thread. This one is for good news out of SA.
RafterAg223
AG
Well, let's look at your hypothetical. That's entirely up to your hypothetical 24 year old and his hypothetical grandmother. When it comes to society at large and going out in public, a decent percentage of the choices we make have the potential to impact someone else in some way. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. I'm vaccinated, my choice. I have zero issue with those who are not, their choice. I've had this bug twice and I'll likely get it again. I'm not going to alter my life in public anymore. If I know I've been exposed or if I've been in a setting where a number of people around me likely had it, then I will keep my distance from people like my 76 year old father.

But I am absolutely not getting engaged in this civil conflict we have in this country right now pitting the so called
"unclean and selfish" against the "righteous". 2+ years in to this ordeal, and it's past time to get back to "you do you".
Coates
RafterAg223 said:

Well, let's look at your hypothetical. That's entirely up to your hypothetical 24 year old and his hypothetical grandmother. When it comes to society at large and going out in public, a decent percentage of the choices we make have the potential to impact someone else in some way. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. I'm vaccinated, my choice. I have zero issue with those who are not, their choice. I've had this bug twice and I'll likely get it again. I'm not going to alter my life in public anymore. If I know I've been exposed or if I've been in a setting where a number of people around me likely had it, then I will keep my distance from people like my 76 year old father.

But I am absolutely not getting engaged in this civil conflict we have in this country right now pitting the so called
"unclean and selfish" against the "righteous". 2+ years in to this ordeal, and it's past time to get back to "you do you".
Well said, and that is literally what most people did prior to covid. I never understood the people who go to the office with the flu or send their kids to school with a fever or throwing up, hopefully covid will change people's thinking in that regard.
Jabin
Quote:

I never understood the people who go to the office with the flu or send their kids to school with a fever or throwing up, hopefully covid will change people's thinking in that regard.
Now you're being inconsistent. You're advocating a change from "normal". You're saying people should think of others in making personal decisions.
Coates
Jabin said:

Quote:

I never understood the people who go to the office with the flu or send their kids to school with a fever or throwing up, hopefully covid will change people's thinking in that regard.
Now you're being inconsistent. You're advocating a change from "normal". You're saying people should think of others in making personal decisions.

Not inconsisent at all, I'm saying stay home when you're sick, if you're not sick do nothing different than you would have prior to covid.
Jabin
Coates said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

Not inconsisent at all, I'm saying stay home when you're sick, if you're not sick do nothing different than you would have prior to covid.
I know exactly what you're saying. However, you are advocating a change from past "normal" behavior in consideration of others.
Coates
Incorrect, I have always stayed home when sick. That is normal for me, I'm not changing anything.
Jabin
Your words:

Quote:

never understood the people who go to the office with the flu or send their kids to school with a fever or throwing up, hopefully covid will change people's thinking in that regard.
I don't understand why you are so reluctant to be labeled "unselfish". That's a good trait.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.