Employer Requests For Vaccination Status (Michigan)

9,073 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Signel
EW2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I strongly believe in individual rights. I have been vaccinated but don't believe it's within my employers rights to request medical information unless I voluntarily disclose it.

I also believe employers being given the legal green light for requiring a vaccination status is not only unnecessary since vaccinated people can also spread the virus, but that this will set an employment law precedent moving forward with employers being able to request medical information with the likely result being medical discrimination on a large scale that hurts workers with disabilities.

I've contacted several legal firms that deal with employment law and civil rights but they all want 300-500 just for a consultation to see if they would take my case. And even if they were to take my case I would likely be fired when notifying my employer that I've retained legal counsel and will not comply with their request.

Does anyone else feel this way and do you think it's battle worth fighting? Thanks
A is A
AG
You can always ask for the policy stating this is required. It would have to be in a handbook.

After that it's the wild wild west. If you have clout and don't give an F if they let you go - challenge them. If you think you cannot find a better job and have a family to support - give in.

Unfortunately, this world has gone crazy and has a very limited understanding of logic and reason.

Best of luck to you!
AggieHusker
AG
EW2 said:

Does anyone else feel this way and do you think it's battle worth fighting? Thanks

No and no.
ORAggieFan
You really have no legal fight here. It's been long established employers have a right here.
01agtx
AG
EW2 said:

I strongly believe in individual rights. I have been vaccinated but don't believe it's within my employers rights to request medical information unless I voluntarily disclose it.

I also believe employers being given the legal green light for requiring a vaccination status is not only unnecessary since vaccinated people can also spread the virus, but that this will set an employment law precedent moving forward with employers being able to request medical information with the likely result being medical discrimination on a large scale that hurts workers with disabilities.

I've contacted several legal firms that deal with employment law and civil rights but they all want 300-500 just for a consultation to see if they would take my case. And even if they were to take my case I would likely be fired when notifying my employer that I've retained legal counsel and will not comply with their request.

100% I think it is worth fighting. I'm not sure if you follow Mike Yoder. He and Harry Mihet, both attorneys, have been actively fighting this, with success.
EW2
S
Talked with my manager and he recommended not pushing back, but said he would ask HR what the consequences are if any of his direct reports do push back with reporting their vax status. At the end of the day, it's not just me, I have a family to support so I'll just have to ignore my principles on this topic.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the feedback.
Trout
I would just answer with "I'm Immune".
cbaker20
Your employer is not breaking the law in any way by asking you. They could be breaking the law if they share that info with others or use it to discriminate against you in ways that are prohibited by law (disability or religious discrimination).
wbt5845
AG
AggieHusker said:

EW2 said:

No and no.

Indeed. Seems like a dumb hill to die on.
Rubble
AG
I don't think it's just Michigan. I also live in Michigan, but my employer is not based here. Mine did the same thing. I think most employers are trying to figure out what they are going to have to do if the vaccine mandate takes effect (ie, how many weekly tests are we going to have to require).

Just my opinion though.
ChrisTAMU
AG
wbt5845 said:

AggieHusker said:

EW2 said:

No and no.

Indeed. Seems like a dumb hill to die on.

Silly people valuing their privacy.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I was extremely disturbed by your statement: "I will have to ignore my principles on this topic". I would ask you to deeply consider what this statement means to you. I cannot in any way try to move you on your axis, but please consider just exactly what this means on such a deep and personal plane. If, we move away from what we hold sacred in our own soul, what have we sacrificed. Please give this thought and prayer.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ORAggieFan
Principles are one thing, but when it's a losing battle and you have family, especially when he's already vaccinated, it's not worth the fight.
ChrisTAMU
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Principles are one thing, but when it's a losing battle and you have family, especially when he's already vaccinated, it's not worth the fight.

How far is too far for you? Honest question. I'm trying to understand.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Get a fake vaccine card and move on.
ORAggieFan
ChrisTAMU said:

ORAggieFan said:

Look, I don't like it. I also get why they are doing it (covering their ass). I think there are many better things related to this to fight where the courts haven't already decided.

Now, if you're part of a union and want to use this to bargain, go for it. I just understand how contracts with employees work and what is going to happen. Fighting what has already been ruled legal isn't the fight worth fighting.

I'll focus on extended use of emergency powers, worthless mask mandates, government overreach, etc.

And I still haven't provided my proof to employer, even though it was requested. But, I likely will at some point because I value my job and know there is no legal recourse.
End Of Message
AG
AggieHusker said:

EW2 said:

No and no.

Yes and yes
End Of Message
AG
ORAggieFan said:

You really have no legal fight here. It's been long established employers have a right here.

Do not believe this statement. There is zero precedent for mandating a vaccine via federal government.

ETA: or for an employer to require this type of action from an employee as a condition of employment
ChrisTAMU
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ChrisTAMU said:

ORAggieFan said:

Look, I don't like it. I also get why they are doing it (covering their ass). I think there are many better things related to this to fight where the courts haven't already decided.

Now, if you're part of a union and want to use this to bargain, go for it. I just understand how contracts with employees work and what is going to happen. Fighting what has already been ruled legal isn't the fight worth fighting.

I'll focus on extended use of emergency powers, worthless mask mandates, government overreach, etc.

And I still haven't provided my proof to employer, even though it was requested. But, I likely will at some point because I value my job and know there is no legal recourse.

Like what? Where would you draw the line and say "This is where I fight back."?
ORAggieFan
End Of Message said:

ORAggieFan said:

Do not believe this statement. There is zero precedent for mandating a vaccine via federal government.

ETA: or for a man employer to require this type of action from an employee as a condition of employment

I never said federal. Biden's. Mandates are garbage. I said his individual employer. Big difference.
Another Doug
AG
You have the individual right not to tell them, and they have the individual right to fire you.

Also, know that anyone with an Ag tag advising you to fight, has probably gotten and disclosed a required vaccine at one point in their life.
ORAggieFan
SoupNazi2001 said:

Another Doug said:

You have the individual right not to tell them, and they have the individual right to fire you.

Also, know that anyone with an Ag tag advising you to fight, has probably gotten and disclosed a required vaccine at one point in their life.

I've never had a private employer ask for my vaccine record in over 20 years in the corporate world. Stop trying to normalize this.
How many global pandemics were there in those 20 years?

Think what you want about mandates, but arguments like this don't help.
Post removed:
by user
ORAggieFan
SoupNazi2001 said:

ORAggieFan said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Another Doug said:

I've never had a private employer ask for my vaccine record in over 20 years in the corporate world. Stop trying to normalize this.

The vaccine isn't slowing the spread. No basis for mandates when that is the case. There are countries with 80%+ vaccination rates and have record cases. Also mandates don't factor in natural immunity which is junk science.
I'm against mandates. I'm just stating that your argument is pretty worthless.

Whether or not mandates make sense is irrelevant to the OP. The courts have been consistent on this regarding individual employer mandates.
Post removed:
by user
ChrisTAMU
AG
Unfortunately, as you know, this stopped being about logic a long time ago. As noted by the fact that CDC cannot produce a single case of an individual getting Covid twice.
ORAggieFan
ChrisTAMU said:

Unfortunately, as you know, this stopped being about logic a long time ago. As noted by the fact that CDC cannot produce a single case of an individual getting Covid twice.
I'm all about prior infection being as good, and likely better, than the vaccine, but there is proof Omicron is re-infecting people with prior immunity at a much higher rate than any of the previous ones. Now, Omicron is also less dangerous, so it's likely a nothing burger, just worth understanding.
ChrisTAMU
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ChrisTAMU said:

I'm all about prior infection being as good, and likely better, than the vaccine, but there is proof Omicron is re-infecting people with prior immunity at a much higher rate than any of the previous ones. Now, Omicron is also less dangerous, so it's likely a nothing burger, just worth understanding.

Source? News to me.
ORAggieFan
https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/science-health/955157/risk-covid-reinfection-omicron-delta
Another Doug
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

Countries with centralized health care systems can produce those numbers pretty easy. CDC is dependent on the data from the states, and none of that is terribly detailed or consistent.
ChrisTAMU
AG
Another Doug said:

ChrisTAMU said:

Countries with centralized health care systems can produce those numbers pretty easy. CDC is dependent on the data from the states, and none of that is terribly detailed or consistent.

Then why are they making overarching decisions for the entire country?
Another Doug
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

Another Doug said:

ChrisTAMU said:

Then why are they making overarching decisions for the entire country?
You are asking why America's Center of Disease Control is the center of controlling diseases in America.
End Of Message
AG
Another Doug said:

I have not gotten the vaccine, nor will I ever for the foreseeable future. I have told my partners as such, and they agree that no such requirement can legally be required, nor did they care based on the science.

This is the hill to die on.
End Of Message
AG
ORAggieFan said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Another Doug said:

According to your overlords, at least one:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

That is based on a simple Google search.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.