Novavax applies to WHO for emergency listing of COVID-19 vaccine

5,485 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by petebaker
GeographyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

I did not get a vaccine and am willing to orphan my child and widow my wife, or give a disease to my child that may kill them."

This level of fear is impressive. Assuming you never drive anywhere or let your kids go swimming.

ETA - I am glad to hear you say there are lines you wouldn't cross for your company. That was quite a misunderstanding we had going there.
I'm curious…

When you make fun of him for being willing to get something he feels would save his life, do you know his age? Weight? Risk factors? Do you feel like everyone who gets the vaccine has been stupid and overly dramatic?

Will you laugh at him for wearing a seatbelt when he drives? For driving the speed limit? For teaching his kids to swim before letting them in the water? For having them wear a life jacket in a boat even thought they do know how to swim?

What do you do for a living? Is there any requirement for your job that you ARE willing to abide by? Does your job require anything at all? I'm curious what "liberties" you've already been willing to "give up" to keep a job?
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
88planoAg
AG
GeographyAg said:

coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

I did not get a vaccine and am willing to orphan my child and widow my wife, or give a disease to my child that may kill them."

This level of fear is impressive. Assuming you never drive anywhere or let your kids go swimming.

ETA - I am glad to hear you say there are lines you wouldn't cross for your company. That was quite a misunderstanding we had going there.
I'm curious…

When you make fun of him for being willing to get something he feels would save his life, do you know his age? Weight? Risk factors? Do you feel like everyone who gets the vaccine has been stupid and overly dramatic?

Will you laugh at him for wearing a seatbelt when he drives? For driving the speed limit? For teaching his kids to swim before letting them in the water? For having them wear a life jacket in a boat even thought they do know how to swim?

What do you do for a living? Is there any requirement for your job that you ARE willing to abide by? Does your job require anything at all? I'm curious what "liberties" you've already been willing to "give up" to keep a job?

I think the reaction to this poster is because he is making assumptions about every one else's level of risk, not just speaking about his own. Those statements above are meant to guilt people who haven't been vaccinated; the 'orphan your kids' statement isn't about himself but about others. He apparently sees this as a real risk everyone is taking - up to and including killing their own children by bringing the virus to their house. That level of whatever you want to call it - fear, anger toward others, projected guilt - when the facts are the huge vast majority of (kids, especially) will be just fine if they end up positive, coupled with the fact that kids are exposed all the damn time - my reaction to this conversation is one of amazement and exhaustion due to the level of anger and vitriol directed toward those who make a different decision for their own personal health than one does for oneself.

GeographyAg
AG
88planoAg said:

GeographyAg said:

coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

I'm curious…

I think the reaction to this poster is because he is making assumptions about every one else's level of risk, not just speaking about his own. Those statements above are meant to guilt people who haven't been vaccinated; the 'orphan your kids' statement isn't about himself but about others. He apparently sees this as a real risk everyone is taking - up to and including killing their own children by bringing the virus to their house. That level of whatever you want to call it - fear, anger toward others, projected guilt - when the facts are the huge vast majority of (kids, especially) will be just fine if they end up positive, coupled with the fact that kids are exposed all the damn time - my reaction to this conversation is one of amazement and exhaustion due to the level of anger and vitriol directed toward those who make a different decision for their own personal health than one does for oneself.

Interesting. I don't interpret his remarks that way. And in fact, I see the opposite.

What I've seen is anger, vitriol, and condescension from those who see the virus as "no big deal" and make fun of anyone who says they see it as in any way dangerous saying they're "corona bros" or "branch Covidians."

I've seen so much derision from the f16 folks directed toward this board it's ridiculous. Recently I saw a thread over there saying people here would actually be upset by lower numbers of people in the hospital. That's just not at all true. It's just not at all what I've seen here.

coolerguy12
AG
I'm not making fun or anyone and if it came off that way I'm sorry. I have no issue with people getting the vaccines. I have stated on this thread I think the vaccines are a good thing and have saved a lot of lives.

I think everyone should assess their own situation and evaluate for themselves if they should get it or not. I respect the decision of people who get the shot but when I'm not willing to I don't get the same level of respect.

In fact I get statements like this.

Quote:

I want to hear you say "I did not get a vaccine and am willing to orphan my child and widow my wife, or give a disease to my child that may kill them." Go ahead. Put your money where your mouth is.

And posters like you accusing me of making fun of him without knowing his health situation.

This thread has taken a bizarre turn but hopefully it has opened some eyes to the level of vitriol coming from one side when the other side just wants to be left alone.
coolerguy12
AG
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
GeographyAg
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I'm not making fun or anyone and if it came off that way I'm sorry. I have no issue with people getting the vaccines. I have stated on this thread I think the vaccines are a good thing and have saved a lot of lives.

I think everyone should assess their own situation and evaluate for themselves if they should get it or not. I respect the decision of people who get the shot but when I'm not willing to I don't get the same level of respect.

In fact I get statements like this.

Quote:

I want to hear you say "I did not get a vaccine and am willing to orphan my child and widow my wife, or give a disease to my child that may kill them." Go ahead. Put your money where your mouth is.

And posters like you accusing me of making fun of him without knowing his health situation.

This thread has taken a bizarre turn but hopefully it has opened some eyes to the level of vitriol coming from one side when the other side just wants to be left alone.

Thanks for the apology.

I think some of the rhetoric - lists of things that were over-the-top and such - pushed him into saying something he shouldn't have, but you're right, in that quote he is making assumptions about your health situation and is also pushing your buttons. I think it's wrong.

There's vitriol coming from BOTH sides and if you don't see it, go read a thread or two a little more objectively, especially the ones on f16.

I think we all need to step back a bit and treat each other like individual humans. It's too easy to get ugly and paint people with a broad brush, too.
coolerguy12
AG
You are correct it comes from both sides.

Wish we could back to live and let live.

ETA: I admitted that some of the items on my lists were silly. The point was to show that an OSHA mandate for vaccines would have seemed silly 18 months ago yet here we are. It would have seemed silly to Fauci 13 months ago.
88planoAg
AG
GeographyAg said:

88planoAg said:

GeographyAg said:

coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

I'm curious…

Interesting. I don't interpret his remarks that way. And in fact, I see the opposite.

What I've seen is anger, vitriol, and condescension from those who see the virus as "no big deal" and make fun of anyone who says they see it as in any way dangerous saying they're "corona bros" or "branch Covidians."

I've seen so much derision from the f16 folks directed toward this board it's ridiculous. Recently I saw a thread over there saying people here would actually be upset by lower numbers of people in the hospital. That's just not at all true. It's just not at all what I've seen here.

The bold can be applied to anyone on either side of the debate when projecting their own views regarding personal health decisions onto others.
cc_ag92
AG

Do you consider vaccine mandates political? If so, why are they being discussed on this board?

Someone posted information about a vaccine being approved and the very first reply was about a mandate. It completely derailed a possible medical discussion of a new vaccine option.

It seems like the person who started this mandate discussion didn't want to be left alone by the people on this board. He/she wanted to start an argument.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Duncan Idaho said:

It isn't about me being terrified of getting covid. It is that 90% of the people I deal with are high risk due to age or weight. It is about having empathy and wanting to protect those around me through the most simple of actions.
How does the vaccine protect them if you can still catch and release it? Do you really think this vaccine will help protect those other people? Also, are they not able to get vaccinated due to being obese or old?

If you don't really understand why some of us don't want to be forced to get vaxxed. This NBA player (of all people) does a damn good job of breaking it down for you and others who seem to stress over others not getting vaccinated.

Actually, a lot of NBA players are being grilled and hammering the media with very logical and rational responses.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
fullback44
AG
so this new Novavax, does anyone know what the carrier fluid is for the vaccine? All the other vaccines are using a PEG solution, do you know what this vaccine is using?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
coolerguy12 said:

This is what I think a lot of people are growing very sick and tired of. One side doesn't care what the other side does. But the other side seems to care immensely. To the point of anger. To the point you have high profile people basically wishing death on the unvaccinated etc. And reducing anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated to ridiculous political caricatures.

It's actually very troubling if you take a step back. One can now kind of see how things have spiraled way out of control in other countries throughout history. "OMG how could the xxx people have done that to each other???!" II kind of get it now.

While this is tame in comparison...I can see how large groups of people can be programmed over time to turn against the outcast minority. There is a vocal faction of the vaxxed crowd that gets VERY angry at learning others are unvaxxed. Many human beings have the mental and emotional makeup of children and are just as easily conditioned.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Mathguy64 said:

Stop wrapping everything up in politics and look at the public health issue. I get that's difficult because this whole mess has been corrupted by politics. And politics on both sides. It's a health care issue. That's all it is.

If there were a vaccine like the smallpox vaccine that would wipe COVID off the face of the planet forever wouldn't that be a good thing? And wouldn't mandating it be a good thing? Because that's what happened with smallpox. A terrible horrible killer disease got wiped off the planet forever because everyone got inoculated. We are this close to doing the same for polio. Wild polio exists in 4 countries and in pockets there. Volunteers go there all the time to vaccinate kids to try and finish the job. If they can no kid will ever have to wear a brace or get put in an iron lung ever again.

So here's the big question. If there were a 100% cure vaccine like that for COVID and it would let us get a reset and get rid of this, shouldn't everyone want it gone? Would you be against mandating that? Because every smallpox holdout or polio holdout would have kept those diseases alive.

Sometimes we give back our individual rights for the greater good because it's the right thing to do.
If we were dealing with something like polio, and the government wasn't constantly rattling sabers on it...I don't think you would have to mandate it AT ALL. You'd have trouble keeping people away or prioritizing the elderly and vulnerable.

But this is not polio, or ebola, or smallpox or anything of the sort. This has a VERY LOW fatality rate. I just lost sense of smell for like 10 days. In hindsight I felt a little sluggish for a day, but chalked it up to a small hangover. I am fully recovered and personally choosing not to get vaccinated largely for that reason. Same with wife.

But yeah I am against forcing anyone to get a shot in their arm. I even think loons should have the right to refuse vaccinations for their babies. If we ever encounter a virus with a serious fatality rate, you won't need mandates or stupid incentives to attract people. People will be begging for a vaccine. They would be kicking in doors and windows for it.
petebaker

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.