Novavax applies to WHO for emergency listing of COVID-19 vaccine

5,468 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by petebaker
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/novavax-applies-who-emergency-listing-covid-19-vaccine-2021-09-23/

Quote:

Sept 23 (Reuters) - Novavax Inc (NVAX.O) and its partner Serum Institute of India have applied to the World Health Organization for an emergency use listing of Novavax's COVID-19 vaccine, the company said on Thursday.

The WHO's emergency use listing is a signal to national regulatory authorities on a product's safety and efficacy.

It is also a prerequisite for export to several countries participating in the COVAX vaccine sharing facility.

Novavax has said it would focus on low- and middle-income countries for initial supplies of the vaccine, as the United States and other Western nations have already vaccinated a large part of their populations with other vaccines.

Novavax had previously said it would apply for the listing in August, marking a slight delay in the filing.

Novavax and Serum Institute, the world's largest vaccine producer, have committed to together provide more than 1.1 billion doses to the COVAX facility, which aims to provide equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines to low- and middle-income countries.

The Novavax shot is a protein-based vaccine, and was shown to be more than 90% effective, including against a variety of concerning variants of the coronavirus in a large, late-stage U.S.-based clinical trial.
LSB_2002
AG
Great news! Especially for those of us who are about to be forced into the jab.
Duncan Idaho
LSB_2002 said:

So does that mean that you will be willing to get this vaccine if your employer mandates it?
If so, Would you refuse to comply with an employer mandate if this vaccine isn't available?
ChrisTAMU
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

LSB_2002 said:

So does that mean that you will be willing to get this vaccine if your employer mandates it?
If so, Would you refuse to comply with an employer mandate if this vaccine isn't available?

You didn't ask me but I'm refusing any vaccine mandate.
coolerguy12
AG
Same. It's to the point that I don't even care about the vaccine, it's a matter of principle.
Azeotroper
If you comply with the government or even your employer injecting you with any foreign substance, what will you not comply with?
GAC06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

LSB_2002 said:

Why do you care?
Duncan Idaho
Why do you care why I care?
GAC06
AG
Insufferable covid hobbyists
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Duncan Idaho said:

LSB_2002 said:

Crazy how much people like you care so much about what others do. Or how you can "get them" in some type of "gotcha" attempt online. What is wrong with some of you?
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Mathguy64
AG
I'm curious. For those willing to refuse a vaccine if your employer mandates it, you are effectively quitting your job arent you?

If you have a family to support (spouse, kid(s)), possibly a house payment or car payment(s), possibly kids in college and all the other costs of living like food, gas, insurance, etc., how does this work?

I get you have what you see to be your moral choice. Ok. You have made it. All of those things have a price. How does that work?
GAC06
AG
How does switching jobs work? Seriously?
Mathguy64
AG
Thats why I asking. Your options are: find another employer/job that doesn't have a mandate or become unemployed. And swapping jobs itself may come at a cost. Either lower (possibly significantly lower) pay, loss of benefits (things like no 401K) or loss of existing benefits if you werent vested in your current retirement/401K.

Not to mention you may be out of work 6 months finding a new job. And that may require moving to another city or state.

Getting a new job isnt quite as simple as it sounds.

Duncan Idaho
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Duncan Idaho said:

LSB_2002 said:

Crazy how much people like you care so much about what others do. Or how you can "get them" in some type of "gotcha" attempt online. What is wrong with some of you?

Not looking for a "gotcha" just trying to understand a mindset that I can't even imagine.
AgResearch
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'm curious. For those willing to refuse a vaccine if your employer mandates it, you are effectively quitting your job arent you?

If you have a family to support (spouse, kid(s)), possibly a house payment or car payment(s), possibly kids in college and all the other costs of living like food, gas, insurance, etc., how does this work?

I get you have what you see to be your moral choice. Ok. You have made it. All of those things have a price. How does that work?

USPS Union got to say "no" and employees will be unaffected. I support all persons being given the same right even as someone that elected to get the shot.
Mathguy64
AG
AgResearch said:

Mathguy64 said:

USPS Union got to say "no" and employees will be unaffected. I support all persons being given the same right even as someone that elected to get the shot.
Except thats not across the board. My brother is one of the site managers for Bechtel for the Hanford site in WA state. Their contract is with the DOE. They have been told by the feds "you must be vaccinated to walk on the site" Originally they hoped it would be vaccine or test negative weekly. Starting in Oct they will no longer hire anyone not vaccinated. Re designating your job to work from home will not be an option. If you have a position requiring physical presence on the site you get vaccinated or turn in your keys and badge and its treated as a self termination. Now things may change still but that is right now not a lot of wiggle room.
GAC06
AG
Lots of unions will likely be successful fighting it. Contracts can be beneficial for stuff like this
Azeotroper
That's why it's so onerous.
Mathguy64
AG
Azeotroper said:

No. Its a decision that has consequences. It may have consequences you dont like but you made that choice.

Thats real lfe. People have chosen to not get vaccinated and have ended up in the hospital for weeks. Their choice with consequences. People have chosen not to get vaccinated and paid with their lives. Their choice with consequences. People have chosen to get vaccinated and still had those things happen because getting the vaccine wasnt ever a perfect cure. But those people at least mitigated their chances of bad things happening.

If you are employed and your employer says "vaccine or walk" and you say "no vaccine" you make a choice and that has consequences. its easier to do that is you are single and have a PT job in college. Married, with kids and a mortgage? Thats hard. Telling your wife and kid you just walked away from a job and dont have one right now? Thats hard. But its 100% your choice, your decision and its got consequences.

People say "my body my choice" You dont get to make that choice and turn around and say "its onerous".
Diyala Nick
AG
GAC06 said:

Lots of unions will likely be successful fighting it. Contracts can be beneficial for stuff like this

Not if those negotiated contracts have language pertaining to changes in law and regulation, and I would be shocked if they don't.
Wodanaz
AG
[We don't want the disrespectful attacks. Check your email. - Staff]
Wodanaz
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Azeotroper said:

No. Its a decision that has consequences. It may have consequences you dont like but you made that choice.

Thats real lfe. People have chosen to not get vaccinated and have ended up in the hospital for weeks. Their choice with consequences. People have chosen not to get vaccinated and paid with their lives. Their choice with consequences. People have chosen to get vaccinated and still had those things happen because getting the vaccine wasnt ever a perfect cure. But those people at least mitigated their chances of bad things happening.

If you are employed and your employer says "vaccine or walk" and you say "no vaccine" you make a choice and that has consequences. its easier to do that is you are single and have a PT job in college. Married, with kids and a mortgage? Thats hard. Telling your wife and kid you just walked away from a job and dont have one right now? Thats hard. But its 100% your choice, your decision and its got consequences.

People say "my body my choice" You dont get to make that choice and turn around and say "its onerous".

No, it's by definition oppressively burdensome. No matter how many words of spin you type, it's an oppressive overreach.
GAC06
AG
Diyala Nick said:

GAC06 said:

Not if those negotiated contracts have language pertaining to changes in law and regulation, and I would be shocked if they don't.

There's no law or regulation forcing vaccination
GAC06
AG
Wodanaz said:

[We don't want the disrespectful attacks. Check your email. - Staff]

No problem with the thread derailing though
coolerguy12
AG
I'm genuinely curious where you draw the line? I hope most people have a point where they will be willing to walk away from their job before they cross their line.

Is it masks?
Is it vaccines?
Is it vaccines for your kids?
Is it forced quarantine?
Is it microchips?
Is it CRT?

Your stance seems to be "I don't care how arbitrary or invasive the decree is, you have a choice to comply or suffer the consequences".

And spare me the whole "it's a private company, they can do what they want". It's unelected beurocrates claiming emergency power to rule over you. And you seem ok with it.
Mathguy64
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I'm genuinely curious where you draw the line? I hope most people have a point where they will be willing to walk away from their job before they cross their line.

Is it masks?
Is it vaccines?
Is it vaccines for your kids?
Is it forced quarantine?
Is it microchips?
Is it CRT?

Your stance seems to be "I don't care how arbitrary or invasive the decree is, you have a choice to comply or suffer the consequences".

And spare me the whole "it's a private company, they can do what they want". It's unelected beurocrates claiming emergency power to rule over you. And you seem ok with it.
Well there arent microchips being shot in arms and this is a public health debate not CRT. So scratch those off the list.

Its a public health debate. Pure and simple. There is a disease that is pandemic in nature and it has a disturbing habit of killing people. Yes some classes are more susceptible but it is hitting healthy people as well as those with comorbidities. It doesnt care if you are rich or poor. Black, white, green, whatever. Its a public health issue.

In the 50's the public health issue was polio. And there were quarantines then. Because you get polio by being in contact with those who are contagious. Parents everywhere kept their kids under quarantine and nobody complained or fought it, because getting polio was a killer. Nobody wanted to have their kid crippled or in an iron lung or worse. Smallpox? yep, everyone lined up in queue and got that shot.

Quarantining people here was done for a reason. It was to preserve the health care system so that it wasnt overwhelmed beyond capacity. It wasnt to take your liberty away. It was to keep the health care system from being destroyed. NYC was close to that because everyone lives in close contact and COVID spreads like wildfire in close contact. So a drastic measure was implemented. So yes your personal liberty was slighted (and mine) to preserrve the health care system. I'll take that as a win all day long.

Do I like wearing a mask? Nope. But is had any effect in preserving the HC system ok. Whatever.

Vaccine for my kid? Show me the data that its safe for kids of various ages. Kids can get COVID and they certainly can spread it. They may not be symptomatic but they ca spread it. If we knew we had a safe and effective vaccine for kids then yep they get shots. Same as you give your kid a polio shot and smallpo0x vaccine and every other childhood vaccine. You do give your kid a polio vaccine dont you? Because you are flat insane not to.

Vaccines do their job. I got mine. Moderna twice. And never thought twice about it. I dont want to be in a hospital with pneumonia (you have read that other thread right, of healthy unvaccinated Ags who spent weeks in hospitals with pneumonia?). I have a wife and son and I want to be around for them too. So that choice of a vaccine was easy peasy. I never batted an eyelash.

Quit my job over it? Yeah thats a no. "Hey dear, I got fired today for not getting that vaccine. I just lost our health insurance and no more monthly paychecks. I guess we can ask the bank to waive our mortgage for a while." isnt remotely a conversation I ever want to have.
Duncan Idaho
It seems you dropped this

coolerguy12
AG
The list was hypothetical. Because it won't stop at vaccine mandates. I'm asking you to honestly consider what is your line that you won't cross.

If your work said they want to put a micro chip in you to track your vitals throughout the day would you be ok with it? Or to track who you have contact with?

If your work said your kids in school have to be vaccinated from Covid to prevent you getting sick would you be ok with that?

If your work said white employees get a 10% pay reduction and POC get a 10% raise?

These are rather silly examples but I'm just asking for something that your work could request of you that you would walk away from them. Hopefully you have non-starters where you won't compromise for money.

And keep in mind that 18 months ago vaccination mandates sounded about as silly as microchips.

A lot of us have drawn a line in the sand and are willing to walk away from high paying jobs based on our principles
Mathguy64
AG
You said it. That list is silly. This is real.
coolerguy12
AG
18 months ago a vaccine mandate would have been considered silly.
Mathguy64
AG
coolerguy12 said:

If you were paying attention 18 months ago it wasn't.
88planoAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Both Biden and his press secretary claimed before the vaccine was out that it would "never" be mandated.

It is silly. Until it isn't.

GeographyAg
AG
I'm not in favor of Covid Vaccine mandates (mostly because it's become so political and divisive), but I think we have to admit that there have been all kinds of vaccine mandates through history. There was even forced quarantine of people like Typhoid Mary.

Wasn't there a required Hep B vaccine a couple of years ago after an outbreak on campus?

Kids have had all kinds of required vaccines for various diseases.

I guess I do not see it as quite so unprecedented as many people do.

I do think they need to figure out a way to account for natural infection immunity. That's just a no brainer (though I know you can get it twice).

Edited because: typing on phone
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
GAC06
AG
Mathguy64 said:

coolerguy12 said:

We should have known that Fauci was lying about vaccine mandates 18 months ago. Kind of like a few other things.
Mark Fairchild
AG
"Fear the loss of freedom, more than the disease!" Robert Kennedy, Jr.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.