Travel and COVID

2,948 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by West Point Aggie
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Out of curiosity, does anyone personally know someone who has been prevented from coming back to the US from travel due to a positive COVID test?
aTm2004
AG
No. Foreign countries have pre-printed "COVID NEGATIVE" cards already printed up. They're not going to keep a positive person in their country.
ORAggieFan
Getting into the country won't be prevented. Getting on the flight could be.
PJYoung
AG
aTm2004 said:

No. Foreign countries have pre-printed "COVID NEGATIVE" cards already printed up. They're not going to keep a positive person in their country.

Not Costa Rica.

They check your test results very carefully and you have to buy insurance to enter their country to cover your extended stay if you test positive.
PJYoung
AG
It's rare but it happens:

https://abc7.com/vacation-with-covid-19-travel-restrictions-international-cdc-required-negative-test/10475762/

Quote:

But, a lot of people are now finding themselves stuck in other countries after testing positive for the virus including Houston resident Antonio Delgado who said he was stranded after he and his wife traveled to Mexico for their anniversary.

https://www.rfi.fr/en/international/20210213-tourists-with-covid-19-stranded-in-costa-rica-call-french-government-for-help-travel-tourism-pcr-tests
Quote:

Sixteen French pensioners were still stranded Friday in Costa Rica because of Covid-19, six of them hospitalised and two in serious condition.The president of the association who organised the trip has called on the French authorities to help with an emergency repatriation.

"We're guilty, we're at fault for leaving. That's it, I'm saying it clearly". Antoine Stefanelli is one of the sixteen French tourists stranded in Costa Rica since 25 January, after having tested positive for Covid-19.

The group, made up of 22 retirees from La Poste and the Orange group aged "between 60 and 77", had left the Lorraine region (eastern France) on 16 January for a ten-day trip to the small Central American country.

In an interview with BFM TV on Friday, Antoine Stefanelli says he is "at the end of his rope", having "sent a distress message to the embassy" to obtain medicines for his wife and having received a simple "e-mail address" in return.
oldflyer
AG
We've had a lot of people stuck in India. They were there when the pandemic hit and have not been allowed to travel back. In some cases, they are American citizens that were visiting family there. In others, they were visa holders that were told to stay there.
riverrataggie
AG
oldflyer said:

We've had a lot of people stuck in India. They were there when the pandemic hit and have not been allowed to travel back. In some cases, they are American citizens that were visiting family there. In others, they were visa holders that were told to stay there.
Nevermind, missed the 'Or'.
aTm2004
AG
West Point Aggie
AG
Well the cdc is getting all frothy about the delta variant. Xiden says no lockdown-lol like most people would willingly follow that!
Let’s Go Brandon!
GMaster0
We have been managing this fairly well for my work when infections are acquired during foreign travel.

Isolation and then a physician note along with the testing certificate before re-attempting travel. Now we are experiencing vaccinated folks testing positive and having to do the isolation period, then travel. It is a huge pain, but that is the cost of business.
shertown04
AG
Yep. I was trying to set up a vacation in the Caribbean and seeing what the restrictions were for the different islands. Nearly all that I looked into require the pre-flight negative test and you to purchase insurance in case you get sick while you are there. Then the US requires a negative test to get on the flight back. We will wait another year for international travel. Going to Hawaii instead with just the pre-travel test required. Still have 2 months for them to get their vaccination rate up and they will remove that requirement as well.
West Point Aggie
AG
Got asked to join some friends on a trip to Italy this fall. Hard pass for me. Vegas will be my only trip.
Let’s Go Brandon!
PJYoung
AG
aTm2004 said:

I'm dumb.
PJYoung
AG
shertown04 said:

Yep. I was trying to set up a vacation in the Caribbean and seeing what the restrictions were for the different islands. Nearly all that I looked into require the pre-flight negative test and you to purchase insurance in case you get sick while you are there. Then the US requires a negative test to get on the flight back. We will wait another year for international travel. Going to Hawaii instead with just the pre-travel test required. Still have 2 months for them to get their vaccination rate up and they will remove that requirement as well.

We actually bought Abbott Labs eMed self-tests for our trip to Costa Rica last week.

A lab tech watches you administer the test via web cam and walks you through it. Super easy.

$179 for 6 tests.

And this was the first covid test that didn't make my eyes water. Apparently you don't HAVE to scrape the bottom of your brain to get a valid result.
agsalaska
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Got asked to join some friends on a trip to Italy this fall. Hard pass for me. Vegas will be my only trip.
Yea I was planning to go to London in September and killed that. Hell I don't want to even get on an airplane. I'm driving to Denver for the CU game.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Petrino1
shertown04 said:

Puerto Rico doesnt require a negative covid test anymore if you've been vaccinated, and the US doesnt require a negative covid test coming back if you're coming from a US territory (PR, USVI).
Bucketrunner
We're driving, too.
West Point Aggie
AG
ea1060 said:

shertown04 said:

Puerto Rico doesnt require a negative covid test anymore if you've been vaccinated, and the US doesnt require a negative covid test coming back if you're coming from a US territory (PR, USVI).

The problem with travel is, the second there is a spike, even a few dozen cases for a week or so, just sit back and watch the overreaction take place. Other than US (mainland) travel; buyer beware!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Aston94
AG
This was THE reason that my wife and I got the vaccine, so that we can travel without fear of quarantining or testing in the years to come.

Scheduled to go to the BVIs in the fall, and no quarantining required with proof of vaccine.

Diet Cokehead
AG
We've been to the Bahamas and Cabo in the last month and the "tests" in those countries are a joke. They put a Q-tip in your nose for about half a second and then email you your negative test results in less than 5 minutes. They don't give a *****...just want tourists.
West Point Aggie
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

We've been to the Bahamas and Cabo in the last month and the "tests" in those countries are a joke. They put a Q-tip in your nose for about half a second and then email you your negative test results in less than 5 minutes. They don't give a *****...just want tourists.

Still; if you paid me to travel overseas I would not do it, especially poop holes like Mexico or other developing places (don't care how jingoistic that sounds)
Let’s Go Brandon!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.