Rapid Test Accuracy

1,208 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KidDoc
nattychamps22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My sister woke up this morning with a strong cough and an irritated throat. She's been dry coughing a lot, however, has no fever or really any other noticeable symptoms. She was Rapid Tested today for COVID at CVS and it came back negative.

She still doesn't feel great, however, we are supposed to go on a flight Thursday morning. She had a PCR Test as well today, however, we don't think we will have the results before we are scheduled to fly out. She's in her 20's and very healthy (no comorbidities).

Are there any doctors here that could weigh in on her symptoms and current accuracy levels of the Rapid Tests? Are we okay to fly out or should we cancel the trip?

Thanks in advance.
aggie2812-2
AG
Allergies seem more likely.
nattychamps22
Thank you. I thought the same thing, however, the pollen counts in our area today are pretty low.
88planoAg
AG
any loss of smell? That is one easy way to tell.
nattychamps22
No loss of smell.
cc_ag92
AG
Not everyone has loss of smell. My 19yo didn't.

If she hasn't been vaccinated and she's exhibiting Covid symptoms, she probably shouldn't fly. Perhaps a doctor will give her different advice, so I would check with them.
rononeill
Seems like if she feels fine, or good enough to travel, has a negative test, and passes all of the questionnaire items, rolling on would seem like a reasonable thing to do.
cc_ag92
AG
What if she doesn't feel fine? He said she doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking, I'm sure.
AeroAg1
AG
cc_ag92 said:

What if she doesn't feel fine? He said she doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't be asking, I'm sure.

Well, is hiding in her closet an option? Because she checked all the boxes of moving on with life.
rononeill
See "good enough to travel"...
Aston94
AG
Sounds like she should make a quick trip to an urgent care center and get a diagnosis. Allergies are off the charts right now, but better to be safe before travelling.
KidDoc
AG
Sounds like rhinovirus, pretty harmless. In her situation the sensitivity of the rapid test is poor.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.