No evidence to suggest UK coronavirus variant causes more severe illness

1,167 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pasquale Liucci
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PJYoung
AG
Old Buffalo
AG
Weird. It's almost like we know viruses don't mutate into more deadly strains. Like through science or something.
Clob94
And then there's this info.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e2.htm?s_cid=mm7014e2_x
amercer
AG
Old Buffalo said:

Weird. It's almost like we know viruses don't mutate into more deadly strains. Like through science or something.

So that's not exactly a rule, and like everything else for the last year taking some generally true case and building a polemic wall out of it is a bad idea.

Viruses are collections of genes. The collections that are better at replicating and spreading between hosts will win out in the evolutionary race. So generally, really deadly viruses are at a disadvantage because they kill hosts before they can spread. COVID is already pretty non-lethal, and critically takes a long time to make people sick (and for them to die). That's the main reason it spreads so well. There is plenty of evolutionary space for it to become more lethal without reducing its infectivity.

Do I think super-Ebola-Covid is just around the corner? No. I don't see any evolutionary pressure that would favor it becoming more lethal, so it would have to happen by chance. Also it may not even be possible, as the evolutionary path it's taken might dead end without possible virulence enhancing mutants being available.

But, unlike say Ebola, it's not impossible for a new Covid strain to be more deadly.
beerad12man
AG
Just usually unlikely. I trust the human body to beat it over time. especially with the new technology limiting it and it not just spreading across 3 billion people
amercer
AG
Oh for sure. The days of a plague wiping out 1/3 of Europe or something are gone forever. Still, you could have a coronavirus like this one with 10x the lethality and still have it spread around the world.

Although to your point about technology, if we keep investing in infectious disease research it becomes much less likely.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Old Buffalo said:

As a general rule, when I see someone lecturing about the dangers of "variants" and preaching additional NPI's based on their potential spread, it identifies them as someone with nefarious motives trying to control the population. Guys like Feigl Ding, et al. Charlatans the lot of them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.