If you have a choice between all 3...which one do you choose?

7,838 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BamaAggies
bay fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
As an adult in my 50's if all I could get was J&J I certainly would take it but I am glad to have gotten Moderna. Like KidDoc said, one day of feeling bad was a very small sacrifice to make. J&J is better then nothing but if I am going to get vaccinated, I prefer the greater chance of skipping not just the hospital but the virus too. My daughter got J&J and I am just glad she's been vaccinated!
Old Buffalo
AG
Gordo14 said:

AggieAuditor said:

NomadicAggie said:

So what drives you to come onto a page specifically about vaccines to tell everyone you're not taking it? Are you confused about the title of the thread?

Don't take it. I don't care. Your decision. Just not clear why you stalk a page that doesn't concern you to tell us something that doesn't matter to anyone actually reading this?
I think it makes people feel tough. The good news is that most of will get the vaccine so they won't have to. They can continue bragging about not getting it, we'll get it and be perfectly fine, and the world gets to go back to normal. It's a win for everyone.

They're too scared to get the shot. The opposite of tough.
Too scared of the flu so they get the shot.

See how easy it is to guise your virtue signaling?
AgsMyDude
AG
J&J was the first I could get an appointment for so I took it.

Already low risk so 100% coverage for hospitalization/death is a win.

Comparing them directly is a slippery slope given the timing, groups of people, variants, etc.
Hodor
AG
KidDoc said:

I would seek Moderna or Pfizer. I have no confidence that the J&J single shot will last for any significant duration as there is no other single dose vaccine that lasts > 5 years.

Moderna shot #2 kicked my ass for a day but I'm ok with that. I actually think it is a good symptom as it shows your immune system is kicking into gear and hopefully will give long and strong immunity.
While I totally get you on the single dose vaccine comparisons, am I correct in my understanding that we don't have any other viral vector vaccines to actually compare it to? I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it offers durable immunity, as it works by setting up an infection with a (harmless) virus, which stimulates COVID immunity by adding the spike protein to the normal viral replication. Perhaps, as a result, your immune system is exposed to the spike protein for a longer period of time than a single dose mRNA vaccine, and probably an overall similar load (over time) to 2 doses. This is admittedly not my specialty, and you have way more experience with vaccines than I do.
Oxford/AstraZenaca, Russia/Sputnik V, Johnson & Johnson - viral vector

Sinovac/China - inactivated virus

Moderna/Pfizer - mRNA
Duncan Idaho
Nm
KidDoc
AG
Hodor said:

KidDoc said:

I would seek Moderna or Pfizer. I have no confidence that the J&J single shot will last for any significant duration as there is no other single dose vaccine that lasts > 5 years.

Moderna shot #2 kicked my ass for a day but I'm ok with that. I actually think it is a good symptom as it shows your immune system is kicking into gear and hopefully will give long and strong immunity.
While I totally get you on the single dose vaccine comparisons, am I correct in my understanding that we don't have any other viral vector vaccines to actually compare it to? I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it offers durable immunity, as it works by setting up an infection with a (harmless) virus, which stimulates COVID immunity by adding the spike protein to the normal viral replication. Perhaps, as a result, your immune system is exposed to the spike protein for a longer period of time than a single dose mRNA vaccine, and probably an overall similar load (over time) to 2 doses. This is admittedly not my specialty, and you have way more experience with vaccines than I do.
You are correct. We do have several vaccines that use Diptheria as an adjunct to stimulate the immune system- and all of those are multiple shots in series. Our immune system just usually does not generate long term immunity to RNA infections with a single exposure.

Only time will tell, but I will be surprised if J&J lasts > 5 years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RockOn
Duncan Idaho said:

RockOn said:

Oxford/AstraZenaca, Russia/Sputnik V, Johnson & Johnson - viral vector

Sinovac/China - inactivated virus

Moderna/Pfizer - mRNA

I don't think this is true.

The novavax vaccine is a protein nanoparticle vaccine not a viral vector
Which one isn't accurate? I didn't list the Novavax one.
Duncan Idaho
Sorry...wasn't paying attention and got novavax and AZ mixed up
aglaohfour
AG
My reason is purely anecdotal. Everyone I know who got Moderna ended up being down for 1-3 full days with side effects, whereas the people who got Pfizer seemed to have milder side effects for a day or less. I don't have two consecutive within the next few months that I can afford to be down, so I'm getting my first dose of Pfizer on Monday and hoping for the best.
BiochemAg97
AG
jopatura said:

I was happy with Pfizer.

Moderna has weird side effects. Everyone I know getting Moderna has been knocked on their ass. Pfizer is about 50/50 and it's mostly arm stuff.

I think J&J is most useful for the young adult crowd who may not be arsed to come back for a second shot, but I'd be weary taking it if I was vulnerable or had a lot of exposure like a nurse or teacher.

(This is just my thoughts on it, I don't have articles to back up how I went with it. This is the impression I've gotten over the past few months).
I got Moderna, got the second dose this week. Nothing more than a sore arm for a day or two from either dose.

The person giving the second dose did say something about drinking a cup of Gatorade every couple hours and water in between. I assume to be well hydrated.

It's anecdotal, but so is the "everyone I know got knocked on their ass".
bigtruckguy3500
Has no one brought up the fact that the concept behind the J&J vaccine is similar to the one in the virus cancer cure from I Am Legend? I'm sticking with Pfizer.

Aust Ag
AG
Haha, I watched that movie but missed the early part. Makes more sense now!
Aggies2009
AG
AggieAuditor said:

NomadicAggie said:

So what drives you to come onto a page specifically about vaccines to tell everyone you're not taking it? Are you confused about the title of the thread?

Don't take it. I don't care. Your decision. Just not clear why you stalk a page that doesn't concern you to tell us something that doesn't matter to anyone actually reading this?
I think it makes people feel tough. The good news is that most of will get the vaccine so they won't have to. They can continue bragging about not getting it, we'll get it and be perfectly fine, and the world gets to go back to normal. It's a win for everyone.

If only locking down the economy and people's businesses were looked at this way.

To answer OP, I got JNJ yesterday because I didn't want to come back for a 2nd appointment. I had COVID in January and feel like my body is giving some super immuno response cause it knocked me on my ass last night and today. Feeling better already though.
YouBet
AG
Either none or J&J.

I don't understand the thought process that J&J is "better than nothing" or "inferior".

It tested out 100% in prevention hospitalization and death and it's logistically easier with 1 shot.

That's all that matters.
KidDoc
AG
Disagree-- herd immunity depends on vaccine efficacy to not only prevent death but infection. If the goal is a return to pre-pandemic normals then herd immunity is important. If that is not the goal then J&J is fine.

In addition duration of efficacy is even more important if we are not going for herd immunity. Nobody knows duration of efficacy for the COVID vaccines at this point in time. I have 20 years of experience with viral infections and vaccines and I can tell you that I am very skeptical about the J&J vaccine lasting any significant duration. I would be happy to be wrong but if you tell me there are vaccines with > 90% efficacy to prevent infection vs >65%-- it is a no brainer for my patients.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WoMD
KidDoc said:

Disagree-- herd immunity depends on vaccine efficacy to not only prevent death but infection. If the goal is a return to pre-pandemic normals then herd immunity is important. If that is not the goal then J&J is fine.

Disagree with your disagreement. And more goalpost movement. You're talking about complete elimination of the virus in essence, not heard immunity, as what is required to get back to normal now. Suddenly keeping people from dying isn't enough. Now no one is allowed to get sick ever.

If 100% of the vulnerable and high risk (and a huge chunk of the remaining adult population) are vaccinated, and occasional cold symptoms amongst adults (with ZERO associated deaths) keeps us from being back to normal then we're never getting back to normal regardless.
BiochemAg97
AG
WoMD said:

KidDoc said:

Disagree with your disagreement. And more goalpost movement. You're talking about complete elimination of the virus in essence, not heard immunity, as what is required to get back to normal now. Suddenly keeping people from dying isn't enough. Now no one is allowed to get sick ever.

If 100% of the vulnerable and high risk (and a huge chunk of the remaining adult population) are vaccinated, and occasional cold symptoms amongst adults (with ZERO associated deaths) keeps us from being back to normal then we're never getting back to normal regardless.

I think you misunderstand the concept of herd immunity. Herd immunity requires enough of the population to not be able to get it and pass it on that a sick individual doesn't contact enough susceptible people to pass it on. That way the R stays close to 0 and an "outbreak" would only be a few transmissions deep. It isn't that no one gets sick, it is that it doesn't spread very far.

The point where the virus becomes a minor illness is another way to get back to normal. Usually that would occur from the virus mutating into a variant that causes nothing worse than the common cold. But if you could get a vaccine/treatment that did the same (made the illness minor, but not necessarily prevent spread), you end up in the same place, but only if you get the vaccine/treatment to everyone (or very nearly everyone). Since the virus would still be spreading, it will eventually get to anyone you missed.

This virus most likely will never go away. It can be passed to dogs, cats, mink. That will create a substantial animal reservoir and we will continue to get human infections as susceptible individuals come in contact with infected animals.
WoMD
BiochemAg97 said:

WoMD said:

KidDoc said:

The point where the virus becomes a minor illness is another way to get back to normal. Usually that would occur from the virus mutating into a variant that causes nothing worse than the common cold. But if you could get a vaccine/treatment that did the same (made the illness minor, but not necessarily prevent spread), you end up in the same place, but only if you get the vaccine/treatment to everyone (or very nearly everyone). Since the virus would still be spreading, it will eventually get to anyone you missed.

This was my point, in response to the previous post. I guess I worded it unclearly.
NomadicAggie
AG
Guess we can take J&J off the list now...
Gunny456
AG
These are the same type of folks that thought blood transfusions would kill you back in the late 1800's, Polio and TB shots would kill you in the 1900's, shingle shots would kill you, flu shots would kill you etc etc.
But they text while driving everyday cause they are better and smarter and won't get killed.

Pfizer. Have had both. No reactions whatsoever.
Aust Ag
AG
NomadicAggie said:

Guess we can take J&J off the list now...
So we're down to 2, right? This will make my decision easier.
David_Puddy
AG
I got my first Moderna shot today. I heard/read about the side effects and almost backed out, but went ahead with it in cause of any international travel restrictions they may come out with. Not gonna lie, I do feel a little groggy but praying for the best over the next couple of days
JD Shellnut
AG
It's been one week since I got the j and j and my shoulder is still a little sore in and around the injection site.
Tex117
AG
AggieAuditor said:

NomadicAggie said:

Its this.

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Choice 4....Anti-bodies
double aught
AG
RealTalk said:

NomadicAggie said:

They crave the attention and want to let people know how they're not sheep like the people who wants to get the vaccine.
Have I told y'all that I don't watch the NFL anymore? I really need you to know that. Like really.
aggierogue
AG
Motracicletraficificker said:

Choice 4....Anti-bodies

What's the story in this?
BamaAggies

Here is the video. Start around 23:00.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.