Good News: Vaccinations beginning to surpass infections

8,910 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gougler08
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm fairly anxious about the South Africa variant, B1.351. Yes I want to vaccinate our way out, but lack of other precautions being taken by many doesn't bode well for this incoming variant. Still too much potential for community spread. I very much want to be wrong.
cone
AG
this thing is endemic

we're going to be vaccinating for years
Capitol Ag
AG
Reports are that 50,000 doses of the vaccine are headed to Collin County over the next few weeks.
Captain Pablo
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I'm fairly anxious about the South Africa variant, B1.351. Yes I want to vaccinate our way out, but lack of other precautions being taken by many doesn't bode well for this incoming variant. Still too much potential for community spread. I very much want to be wrong.

It's OK

You probably are
HotardAg07
AG
Update: Progress stalling on vaccinations.

Quote:

Wed Feb 3 Weekly Vaccination Update:

It was a disappointing week. New vaccinations decreased compared to last week.

This is also the first week where fewer doses were distributed than administered.

https://t.co/7jDgND5vE1?amp=1

1st doses remained under 1M/day while 2nd doses were up 60% compared to last week (236k -> 381k a day).

The clear pattern that is emerging is that states are allocating their limited doses to give out as 2nd doses rather than to vaccinate new people.

Given that the pace of "doses distributed" have also not increased since early January, the outlook is worrisome.

Unless the pace of new distributed doses increases, it currently looks like we may be at a plateau in new vaccinations for a while.

Here is a map of the current pace of daily vaccinations.

States like Florida and Texas that saw a quick initial rollout are now seeing their new vaccinations stagnate.

California, a frequently criticized state, has improved their rate significantly.

That said, we are still projecting a ramp-up in new vaccinations in late Feb/March, partially driven by the rollout of the new J&J single shot vaccine.

April is still a likely timeline for general public availability, though May is also possible, depending on the state.

We also made some improvements to our Path to Herd Immunity chart.

We estimate roughly 100M people (30%) in the US currently have immunity.

Out of the 100M with immunity, 7% come from vaccination only, 91% come from past infection only, and 2% have both.
[url=https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/1357045488760082434/photo/1][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/1357045488760082434/photo/1][/url]

We want to caution that we are currently not yet accounting for the virus variants that have been increasing in prevalence. We are actively monitoring the situation and are waiting for more data.

If the variants can escape immunity, then these results will no longer hold.

gougler08
AG
Seems like the distribution comes in waves (there have already been 3 downturns) but the higher lows and higher highs seems like a good thing overall

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.