Hospital ICU beds at capacity......

8,766 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 3rd Generation Ag
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I came back to work today. There are no open ICU beds (56 total). The covid MICU unit is full (14) and now NICU is all covid (14). SICU and CCU full of non covid pts. Elective procedures continue (for now). There are 10 covids waiting for beds in ER.

In my entire county (11 hospitals) there are 6 covid ICU beds available, and 7 non covid ICU beds available.

Seems as if the scenario we were so intensely trying to prevent in March is occurring now.
Aggie95
AG
how much of this is due to having more therapeutics like Remdesivir, Regeneron, etc. that require a few days of hospitalization?
cc_ag92
AG
Damn. It's good to hear that you're up and back at work. I hate that you walked into that situation. Again, thanks for all that you're doing.
Duncan Idaho
How are your staffing levels looking?

Marcus Aurelius
AG
OKAY for now. But - the MICU and NICU nurse mgrs quit today. Hospital refusing requested raises. Terrible. Both busting their asses working 16+ hr days. Rumor is many other RNs quitting. Would be a disaster. Hospital is going to open GI recovery for more unit beds. Don't know who will staff those.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Aggie95 said:

how much of this is due to having more therapeutics like Remdesivir, Regeneron, etc. that require a few days of hospitalization?
I would say zero.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If the news is accurate, some areas of the metroplex are getting short on ICU beds also.
Duncan Idaho
Do you have access to Regeneron?
FlyRod
Sorry to hear this Marcus. Glad you are (knock wood) over the worst of COVID. I'm sorry you and the frontline workers continue to deal with this. It didn't have to be this way. Please hang in there and take care of yourself.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Do you have access to Regeneron?
right now outpt only yes.
shalackin
AG
What day did in your illness did you get cleared to go back?

Did you take the 50,000iu of V-D?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
about 14. tested neg. yes I took vit D and zinc, ASA 81mg.
Not a Bot
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

OKAY for now. But - the MICU and NICU nurse mgrs quit today. Hospital refusing requested raises. Terrible. Both busting their asses working 16+ hr days. Rumor is many other RNs quitting. Would be a disaster. Hospital is going to open GI recovery for more unit beds. Don't know who will staff those.

Sad to hear about this.

Healthcare is a very human-driven business and I think unfortunately a lot of healthcare administrators have been trained in such ways and have such incentive to be completely inhuman at times. Everything is a numbers game. People are numbers. Nurses are a cost center. Hospitals are factories. That's how they're trained and most importantly that's where their incentives are. And it's a damn shame.
DCAggie13y
AG
Heard a report today that hospitals are beginning to fill up with people who avoided necessary treatments over the last 6 months. Lots of very sick people who skipped treatments and now require hospitalization.
Duncan Idaho
That has to be it...that and flu cases
DCAggie13y
AG
Yep. 1 million hospital beds in the US and 100,000 beds are populated by covid positive patients. You don't have to be good at math to realize the vast vast majority of hospitalized people do not have COVID.
hook60
Gumby said:

Yep. 1 million hospital beds in the US and 100,000 beds are populated by covid positive patients. You don't have to be good at math to realize the vast vast majority of hospitalized people do not have COVID.
True, but you have 100,000 incremental patients (doesn't matter what the cause) putting a burden on an infrastructure that can't easily be ramped up.
I Am A Critic
Gumby said:

What %age of ICU beds are taken up by Covid patients?
DCAggie13y
AG
Not sure where to get that data at the national level. In VA, its 15% of total ICU bed capacity and 28% of patients currently in the ICU.
Not a Bot
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

That has to be it...that and flu cases

Flu is practically nonexistent right now.

What we are filling up with are for the most part chronically ill people who tend to flood the system when the weather changes. The problem with Covid is that it is stacking on top of our typical peak census.
DCAggie13y
AG
The interview i heard was a hospital director in Kentucky. She said covid wing was empty but rest of the hospital was at max capacity with chronically ill people who had skipped treatments. Specifically mentioned patients with diabetes, heart and kidney disease.
beatlesphan
AG
I'm in Arizona. Our ICU beds are completely full and have opened up PACU's and what not to put more patients there. ICU patients are about 80% COVID. Total ICU census is about 4x what it usually is in December
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
have they canceled elective procedures yet?

that's when you know **** has hit the fan
DCAggie13y
AG
beatlesphan said:

I'm in Arizona. Our ICU beds are completely full and have opened up PACU's and what not to put more patients there. ICU patients are about 80% COVID. Total ICU census is about 4x what it usually is in December

Hope it drops as rapidly as it did during the summer peak in AZ.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/hospitalized-per-million-by-state
beatlesphan
AG
Same here. We're supposed to get dose #1 of vaccine next week.

Elective cases ongoing. At this point I don't think care has been compromised for patients, it's only making it busier for us. So for now I have the attitude of oh well, I'll take on whatever comes our way.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Big Al 1992
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

about 14. tested neg. yes I took vit D and zinc, ASA 81mg.

Glad you're back at work and recovered! Now that you have antibodies are you doing anything different? Not worrying about exposure so much?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Ha. Yeah - going into covid rooms maskless. Hugging and kissing patients.

No. Full PPE and precuations.
Capitol Ag
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Don't forget the lick doorknobs too!

Seriously, glad you are better Doc. These vaccines can't get here soon enough.
ec2004
AG
Cactus Jack said:

Sad to hear about this.

Healthcare is a very human-driven business and I think unfortunately a lot of healthcare administrators have been trained in such ways and have such incentive to be completely inhuman at times. Everything is a numbers game. People are numbers. Nurses are a cost center. Hospitals are factories. That's how they're trained and most importantly that's where their incentives are. And it's a damn shame.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but it's amazing to me how people just assume someone who has a job of running a hospital only sees others as "numbers". I've worked as a consultant with plenty of hospitals and never once heard such an opinion coming out of the mouth of an administrator.

This just doesn't seem like a helpful comment.

DadHammer
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Your like Mr. Burns now. Nothing can harm you!
AggieMPH2005
I agree. A lot of good Ags are in health care administration.
I am one of them. I am not always able to give my employees everything they want or deserve. That doesn't mean I see them only as numbers and am willing to sacrifice them for a bonus.
HotardAg07
AG
nortex97 said:

I thought Houston ICU's were supposed to be over-run in week two of July. Did that somehow not happen?
Houston reached the higher end of Phase 2 capacity but never entered Phase 3 capacity:
plain_o_llama
This is a plot of the TMC data for the number of Covid patients in ICU since things started.

HotardAg07
AG
That's pretty clear then. Add 350 to the current levels, and you're at Phase 2, just below Phase 3.
plain_o_llama
HotardAg07 said:

That's pretty clear then. Add 350 to the current levels, and you're at Phase 2, just below Phase 3.
Yes. The totals plot helped me understand how the different phases fill up in relation to the number of Covid patients. It also gives a simple comparison to the summer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.