Immunity

4,246 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by plain_o_llama
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone update the latest data regarding Covid immunity?

I keep reading that those infected and recovered only have immunity for a few months before becoming vulnerable again and that the vaccines in development have the same shortfall.

is that all we can look forward to at the moment--temporary protection?
GAC06
AG
If immunity only lasted "a few months" there should be tens of thousands of instances of people being reinfected since this has been a global pandemic for over eight months. But that's not what's happening.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Sporadic cases of reinfection have been documented, always by different strains. It's very difficult to document reinfection with the same strand so that part is not really known.

On the plus side, we haven't seen any significant levels of readmissions among recovered people. So the best thought so far is at least 8 months of immunity so far, counting from Italy's outbreak. I still don't believe any Chinese data from January
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Sporadic cases of reinfection have been documented, always by different strains. It's very difficult to document reinfection with the same strand so that part is not really known.

On the plus side, we haven't seen any significant levels of readmissions among recovered people. So the best thought so far is at least 8 months of immunity so far, counting from Italy's outbreak. I still don't believe any Chinese data from January
I had covid in May. I would have had them test me last week, but didn't fit into the requirements they have for testing and they no longer test here except with doctor's orders or if you have certain symptoms. Problems resembling allergies are apparently not included on their list of symptoms.

The doctor I go to uses a PCR test. In my county, they use some test that gives results in about 20 minutes. I could have made an appointment to go get a test and I didn't think it reasonable to make a doctor's appointment here to get a test so that I could make a doctor's appointment to my regular doctor.

So I went to the regular doctor for allergies on Friday afternoon thinking that if they want to test me, it's up to them. I ended up talking to a nurse practitioner instead. She did ask if I have had a sore throat since the back of my throat was red but I haven't had any sore throat.

Anyway, she said that they would test me for covid if I wanted and I replied that I really didn't see the point in it at that time. My reasoning is that since I had been having those problems for a week and a half, if it was due to covid I would likely be out of isolation before we ever got the test results. She sounded rather irritated at that and claimed that if I was tested and it came back positive, I would be in isolation for at least the next ten days. My symptoms (if they were of covid rather than a simple allergy) began on Monday and Tuesday of the week before. By the CDC guidelines, it's ten days from the start of symptoms, not the test, and at least one day after the fever ends (which I never had) and a significant improvement in symptoms (my allergy symptoms I was having have pretty much gone now). And, of course, if it wasn't covid, then it didn't matter anyway.

tldr: I don't think I had covid again, but can't rule it out.
bigtruckguy3500
Some data shows that peoples antibody levels drop off to relatively undetectable amounts after a few months (for mild infections). The 'asymptomatic' infections likely have detectable antibodies for a few weeks. However the body typically does remember how to make the antibodies and something called memory B cells. So a subsequent reexposure, so long as it isn't massive, should trigger a rapid increase in antibody levels that stay for longer this time.

I think, based off this data, the assumption is that we will likely need several rounds of COVID vaccine to produce a similar effect and develop longer lasting immunity, kinda like we do with HepA/B, and other vaccines.
GAC06
AG
You didn't get it again
eric76
AG
GAC06 said:

You didn't get it again
I doubt that I had it, but there were definite similarities between the last two weeks and when I had it in May. The only real difference was that I didn't have any disturbances in my sense of smell.
GAC06
AG
eric76 said:

GAC06 said:

You didn't get it again
I doubt that I had it, but there were definite similarities between the last two weeks and when I had it in May. The only real difference was that I didn't have any disturbances in my sense of smell.

Neat deal. Just saying that the odds of you getting it twice in a few months are about the same as being struck by lightning twice
eric76
AG
GAC06 said:

eric76 said:

GAC06 said:

You didn't get it again

Neat deal. Just saying that the odds of you getting it twice in a few months are about the same as being struck by lightning twice
The odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime are one in 15,300 according to at least one internet site. If the odds of getting covid twice are about the same as being struck by lightning twice, then the odds of getting covid would be reasonably close to one in 15,300. In reality, the odds of being diagnosed with covid in my county are now approaching one in 25. And not everyone gets tested.

If you no longer have immunity to covid, then your chance of getting it again are logically the same as anyone else in the community. I had no antibodies approximately 30 days after my release from isolation.

Furthermore, covid is clearly not randomly distributed. If it was randomly distributed, then the chance of four members of one family being diagnosed with covid would be nearly one in 391,000 Yet, I know at least one family with at least four members (husband, wife, son, son's wife). They have another son who was at the same birthday party as the rest, but he lives in another county and I haven't heard whether or not he got it.

So including the family above, I personally know at least five local couples who both developed covid -- both members of one couple died from it.

Also a father and son who both got it right after I got it.

It should be intuitively obvious that it is hardly random.

So the odds are clearly high enough that it is something worth asking questions.
GAC06
AG
That's a whole lot of typing and nothing about getting it twice
OAg
AG
My wife had COVID in March and has tested positive for antibodies in August and again in late September. So for her the antibodies have lasted a solid six months (and counting).
eric76
AG
GAC06 said:

That's a whole lot of typing and nothing about getting it twice
Unless covid is magical, it shows that the idea that getting twice has the same odds as getting struck by lightning twice is completely insane.
GAC06
AG
Oh ok, then show me all the people that have gotten it twice. Since it's one in 25 in your county, and people like you have no antibodies, there should be lots of people getting it a second or third time. So show them to me.
eric76
AG
GAC06 said:

Oh ok, then show me all the people that have gotten it twice. Since it's one in 25 in your county, and people like you have no antibodies, there should be lots of people getting it a second or third time. So show them to me.
Once again, covid is not distributed randomly.

A large majority of the cases in my county are from the last month and a half or so. If someone is going to get it twice, they are almost surely from the much smaller number who had it more than three or four months ago. Furthermore, many of those who had it likely developed antibodies to it. At least some of the estimates are that 20% or so don't develop antibodies.

If covid is distributed randomly as you seem to believe, the odds make it unlikely that anyone in the county has yet to have it twice. With the actual clumping of cases, those odds could be higher if those who got it early one are more likely to deal with others who have it or lower if those who got it early are more careful to avoid being exposed again.

For most of those who have had it in the county, look to see what is happening several months from now.

There's also the question of t-cell immunity. I get the impression that nobody really knows what to expect for t-cell immunity.
GAC06
AG
You could have just said you don't know anyone that's had it twice, including yourself.
Smokedraw01
GAC06 said:

You could have just said you don't know anyone that's had it twice, including yourself.
Is there a particular reason you are arguing with him?
eric76
AG
From the ProMED mailing list on Sunday:

Quote:

Brazil is investigating at least 247 cases of possible Covid-19
reinfections. The information is from a survey carried out by CNN's
production with state governments and city halls.

Sao Paulo and Ceara are the states with the most suspicions of
reinfection. In the Hospital das Clanicas, in Sao Paulo alone, 28
possible cases are being investigated. In Ceara, at least 160 are
under analysis.

The survey considered people who had a positive diagnosis for the new
coronavirus, had a negative result after recovering, and tested
positive sometime later via PCR examination.

The investigation takes into account whether it is a contamination by
the same virus or whether a new strain of SARS-CoV-2 is already
circulating in the country.

So far, the Ministry of Health has not confirmed any cases of
reinfection in Brazil.

According to the folder, being infected again by the new coronavirus
is considered very rare and needs to be investigated with utmost
caution.

[Initially, the information on random cases of SARS-CoV2 reinfections
were considered to be incidental, prolonged shedding events or
"continuation of the 1st infection." However, with more recent reports
from Hong Kong and Nevada, as mentioned above, reinfections with the
virus are likely an actual phenomenon, with the added twist that the
severity of COVID-19 varies enormously from person to person, and
might vary from infection to infection in the same person. Variables
such as the initial dose of virus, possible differences between
variants of SARS-CoV-2, and changes in a person's overall health could
all affect the severity of a reinfection
[<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02506-y>].

In view of the multiple vaccine candidates ready to be rolled out as
soon as they are deemed safe via phase 3 trials, it is crucial to sort
out whether "immunological memory" affects symptoms during a 2nd
infection. If symptoms are generally reduced the 2nd time, as in the
Hong Kong case reported in late August 2020, this suggests the immune
system is responding to a re-exposure with the virus as expected. But
if the symptoms are consistently worse during a 2nd bout of COVID-19,
as they were seen in a 2nd case from Nevada, USA, the immune responses
may in fact be enhancing the virus impact, resulting in tissue
damage.

The number of possible reinfections mentioned in the above report is
possibly the largest cohort to date, and a systematic review could
provide important insights into the reinfection phenomenon. -
Mod.UBA]
beerad12man
AG
Extremely rare is the answer. Likely 6 or even 8+ month immunity for the vast majority based on some simple extraction of data.
74OA
AG
Recent report on a herd immunity study from England: WEARS OFF?

"Study Shows Covid-19 Antibodies Waning Over Time, Suggesting Immunity May Wear Off"
KlinkerAg11
AG
I think traceable antibodies can wear off but it doesn't mean your body won't create them if you were to get covid again.

Meaning I think you might not even know you had it the second time.
74OA
AG
I realize it's still very early days since the advent of Covid 19 and the scientific/medical community is learning something new about the virus almost every day.

With that in mind, articles like the one I just posted above formed the basis for my OP and the wide variety of responses since only confirm that no one has a definitive answer about durable immunity just yet.
ORAggieFan
It's likely that you won't get re-infection for 1-2 years. Some will be outliers on that, which we'll see a handful of. People will catch and die of CV19 just like they do a number of other respiratory diseases for a long, long time.
Proposition Joe
Just ignore him. Check his post history -- he's been "just looking for facts" for the last 5 months on this forum -- though strangely the majority of his posts have been talking down to people like he is the only one that actually knows the facts.

Some people just have too much time on their hands.
GAC06
AG
Feel free to make an actual argument or question anything I've said here.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

"Our study shows that over time there is a reduction in the proportion of people testing positive for antibodies," Paul Elliott, study author and professor at Imperial College London, said in a university news release. "It remains unclear what level of immunity antibodies provide, or for how long this immunity lasts."

The study and university release included suggestions over declining immunity.

"These findings suggest that there may be a decline in the level of immunity in the population in the months following the first wave of the epidemic," per the university release. Likewise, the study says: "These data suggest the possibility of decreasing population immunity and increasing risk of reinfection as detectable antibodies decline in the population."
https://www.foxnews.com/health/study-suggests-coronavirus-immunity-drops-after-3-months
74OA
AG
LawHall88 said:

Quote:

"Our study shows that over time there is a reduction in the proportion of people testing positive for antibodies," Paul Elliott, study author and professor at Imperial College London, said in a university news release. "It remains unclear what level of immunity antibodies provide, or for how long this immunity lasts."

The study and university release included suggestions over declining immunity.

"These findings suggest that there may be a decline in the level of immunity in the population in the months following the first wave of the epidemic," per the university release. Likewise, the study says: "These data suggest the possibility of decreasing population immunity and increasing risk of reinfection as detectable antibodies decline in the population."
https://www.foxnews.com/health/study-suggests-coronavirus-immunity-drops-after-3-months
This is the third study cited so far here suggesting that immunity may fade quite quickly. Hence my OP.
ShinerDunk93
AG
Did some searching a while back about this and read a few articles that went over my head. Funny quote from one of the immunology doctors/researchers in the comments was that we really don't understand how the immune system and all it's moving parts work at it's deepest levels and this is all very complicated. He explained it this way.

"An immunology board game would have a rulebook that's 600 pages long and is written only in acronyms; there's a cupboard's worth of tokens; and every so often, the board spontaneously catches fire."

BTW Epidemiologists don't really study or understand immunology. There is more to it than antibodies and antibody testing.
74OA
AG
ShinerDunk93 said:

Did some searching a while back about this and read a few articles that went over my head. Funny quote from one of the immunology doctors/researchers in the comments was that we really don't understand how the immune system and all it's moving parts work at it's deepest levels and this is all very complicated. He explained it this way.

"An immunology board game would have a rulebook that's 600 pages long and is written only in acronyms; there's a cupboard's worth of tokens; and every so often, the board spontaneously catches fire."

BTW Epidemiologists don't really study or understand immunology. There is more to it than antibodies and antibody testing.
Much of medicine is still equal parts science and art.
74OA
AG
Varying studies continue to leave durable immunity open to question. How Long?
74OA
AG
Has Pfizer said if its new 90%-effective vaccine will provide durable immunity or if annual boosters will be necessary?
AggieFlyboy
AG
The original SARS COV-1 patients retained immunity for 3+ years. I expect SARS COV-2 antibodies will remain at least that long due to similarities between the two viruses.

You might need a second dose at some point in your life, likely long after the virus disappears
The Big12Ag
You can get the flu even if you had a flu shot.

You can get the flu more than once in a flu season.

You need a flu vaccine once per season.

Not sure why covid as a respiratory illness or immune trigger would behave differently. The flu has multiple strains and Covid will too, which allows multiple infections in a season. Unlikely, but not impossible. I'd also assume immunity will vary widely person to person due to health, genetics, on and on.
plain_o_llama
ShinerDunk93 said:

Definitely like the quote. Google suggests this is the source

One observation after spending lots of time trying to develop the most basic grasp of Virology and Immunology is while people may use the same words, the intuition and mental models they are working with are quite different. Some of this is the standard layman vs expert problem. Yet, I suspect there is more going on.

Take as an example the thread title "Immunity." People have an idea what they believe the word means. However, a little poking around shows that people aren't using the word to convey the same ideas. Add to that the dearth of actual data and you get a weird mix of certainty and uncertainty all on some seemingly shaky ground.

As an example, take the common knowledge that "immunity" for the common cold coronaviruses disappears within a year. Shane Crotty a seemingly distinguished virologist/immunologists disagrees with that accepted truth. You can hear his short discussion of this at 26:30 on a This Week in Virology Podcast

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-657/

The paper he cites as the basis for the commonly accepted idea that immunity for common cold coronaviruses disappears with a year is this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2271881/pdf/epidinfect00023-0213.pdf

Abstract

After preliminary trials, the detailed changes in the concentration of specific circulating and local antibodies were followed in 15 volunteers inoculated with coronavirus 229E. Ten of them, who had significantly lower concentrations of pre-existing antibody than the rest, became infected and eight of these developed colds. A limited investigation of circulating lymphocyte populations showed some lymphocytopenia in infected volunteers. In this group, antibody concentrations started to increase 1 week after inoculation and reached a maximum about 1 week later. Thereafter antibody titres slowly declined. Although concentrations were still slightly raised 1 year later, this did not always prevent reinfection when volunteers were then challenged with the homologous virus. However, the period of virus shedding was shorter than before and none developed a cold. All of the uninfected group were infected on re-challenge although they also appeared to show some resistance to disease and in the extent of infection. These results are discussed with reference to natural infections with coronavirus and with other infections, such as rhinovirus infections.

If you read the Abstract closely you will see Crotty's point.

So does "immunity" mean avoiding infection or avoiding disease or avoiding being contagious or something else? And how much do we really know about most virus/diseases?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.