New study - US getting really good at treating Covid

8,853 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GAC06
AggieSarah01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most schools in NM are still virtual. And there are still spikes.
RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
Not trying to derail by any means, but if a large majority of people do not know how to properly use/dispose of a mask and improper use/disposal of a mask can lead to higher infection rates, why is this strategy continuing to be pushed?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, but we keep being shouted at "WEAR YOUR MASK, WEAR YOUR MASK", yet numbers continue to climb rapidly in areas that have strict mask mandates.

So, either train the entire US population how to properly wear a mask and give details on the exact type of mask that should be worn to have any impact (neck gators are beyond worthless)....

OR

Admit that masks should only be worn by very at-risk populations or doctors/ employees who will certainly be at a greater risk of infection (but have much better mask discipline).

In a perfect world, where everyone has medical grade masks & medical grade intelligence, masks probably work. Unfortunately, in the real world we are orders of magnitude below each of those categories... which is why I think mask mandates will continue to fail.

Time for leaders to find a better solution, because masks aren't it.
AggieSarah01
AG
YES. I do wonder if masks might make things worse. I know plenty of people who social distance much less because of masks.
Maroon Elephant
AG
My contribution is only anecdotal, but when I hit the ER with Covid + pneumonia, there was no hesitation. The nurses went to work like a well oiled machine and within an hour I was already turning around. Very impressive and I'm very thankful.
GAC06
AG
Option two. Train at risk people how to properly wear an n95 mask. Stop the charade for everyone else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.