Cases, Positivity Rate, and Hospitalizations are all TRENDING UPWARDS in Texas.

12,530 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RGV AG
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On second thought, this is off topic and has been removed.
coolerguy12
AG
yukmonkey said:

So because one region is having a tougher time, that makes it the same reality for all regions?

Looking forward to my wildfire water drops in Dallas since California has some too.

This is the same group that expected nationwide lockdowns and a one size fits all approach from Trump, and was pissed that he put forth recommendations and then let the states decide on their own. If one guy somewhere had to get transferred we need to lock down everywhere just in case.
plain_o_llama
Potter and Randall counties Covid dashboard:

https://covid-data-amarillo.hub.arcgis.com

It is possible the 4.4% Covid hospitalization reported rate means of the available beds
4.4% are occupied by people who are positive for Covid. Alternatively it could mean
of all hospitalized patients 4.4% are considered Covid positive. Neither seems particularly
alarming.

Agsrback12
What would flu numbers look like if we flu swabbed everyone with the sniffles?
culdeus
AG
plain_o_llama said:

Potter and Randall counties Covid dashboard:

https://covid-data-amarillo.hub.arcgis.com

It is possible the 4.4% Covid hospitalization reported rate means of the available beds
4.4% are occupied by people who are positive for Covid. Alternatively it could mean
of all hospitalized patients 4.4% are considered Covid positive. Neither seems particularly
alarming.

https://covid-texas.csullender.com/?tsa=A

I think there are data artifacts in that. There appears to have been more regular hospital beds opening up but the ICU is seeing a crunch, without an increase in ICU beds. This site is a day ahead of the ARCGIS reporting.

Amarillo appears underserved by ICU beds, but not near to the extent El Paso is.
beerad12man
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Speak for your own state. MT is in a bad situation right now. The state as a whole is not overwhelmed but ICU's are well over capacity everywhere and staffing is increasingly a problem with staffing requests going unfilled in the smaller areas.
That's because your area never experienced your first wave. We were all there. Some are just past that wave now. Yes, even Houston as the counties spiking(minor in comparison to before) are areas that weren't hit as hard in June/July.

Areas that have been hit hard don't get hit again. It appears that everywhere will have to go through this once, short of a wuhan style lockdown that just isn't realistic in a free country.
beerad12man
AG
AggieSarah01 said:

Yes, we are spiking, so our governor is criticizing us for not doing enough and how we are in really, really bad shape. Indoor dining has been threatened to be taken away, gatherings limited to 5 people once again, and we are supposed to stay within our "triangle" - basically going to no more than 3 places a day (work, one errand, and one "self-care").
New Mexico has over 18 thousand deaths per year. Covid is at 892 total.

You are currently at 3.2 deaths per day over a 7 day period.

[Reminder that this is not Forum 16. - Staff]
PJYoung
AG
Keegan99 said:

Texas is a big state, so it would seem to be an error to view it in a homogeneous context.

Which areas are seeing the largest increases in hospitalization?

The RGV peaked at around 1,200 hospitalizations a few weeks ago when we surged. We are still well under 200 as of yesterday.
PJYoung
AG
Goose61 said:

After reading this thread, it's not hard to see why many of our resident MDs, several who have been down in the trenches fighting the good fight with this disease, no longer wish to post here. Nothing worse than being told by a bunch of layman that their hard learned expertise is invalid, because it offends their political point of view, and infringes upon "muh freedoms."

This forum was setup to be a place for the open exchange of valuable information from our resident doctors to us layman, not to validate one's point of view (if that's what you want, then go to F16 and join in the company of all your fellow William Wallaces). A famous man once said, "The Truth Shall Set You Free" - He didn't say anything about it making you happy.

And if that's make me a "Coronabro" or a "Branch Covidian", then so be it.

I blame poor TexAgs moderating.

They didn't want to - or couldn't - invest in keeping things on track and after a while most of the valuable contributors gave up to be replaced by the 'your virus lost' crowd. So much of it belongs on the Politics forum.
GAC06
AG
Moderators have probably deleted as many posts here as were allowed to remain. Only recently after overwhelming evidence that the virus isn't that scary has the moderation let up
peachbasket
Thanks OP. A voice of reason, albeit crying in a wilderness.
PJYoung
AG
KlinkerAg11
AG
I think west Texas is going through peak right now.

Like most of Texas was this summer.

My neck of the woods has calmed down, used to be really wide spread until about September.
Keegan99
AG
Yep. If you look at it by hospital region, the big increases are pretty much all west of I35, with areas of the panhandle and El Paso seeing significant activity. There is also some in the Metroplex, which didn't quite reach the level that Houston and the RGV did this past summer.
jenn96
AG
Looking at the whole state as a single entity drives me crazy. There is not a single metro area/CBSA in the US that I'm aware of that had a first wave and is now spiking into a second wave with equivalent deaths and hospitalizations. All of these "new waves" are areas that were never hot and are now experiencing the first wave of initial cases.

That is not to downplay the fact that Covid is still out there and spreading, and that areas where it's now hitting hard need to be careful. People claiming "Covid is over" are really saying "Covid is over where I live." But keeping businesses and schools hunkered down in Houston or Dallas because the Panhandle is spiking is just stupid.
Fitch
AG
Which is why that's not happening.
zachsccr
AG
Back in the summer, Tom Green county (San Angelo area) was peaking at around 120 cases/day. We dropped to about 15-20 cases per day for a while and are now hitting 40-50 per day for the past few days. Not alarmed- hospitalizations are still below summer numbers too.
RGV AG
AG
Keegan99 said:

Yep. If you look at it by hospital region, the big increases are pretty much all west of I35, with areas of the panhandle and El Paso seeing significant activity. There is also some in the Metroplex, which didn't quite reach the level that Houston and the RGV did this past summer.
For chits and giggles in the face of the overwhelming RGV panic and continued shutdowns (save for bingo parlors and big ass flea markets) I wanted to run the numbers including the Mexican side figures.

I took the then current RGV numbers, cases and fatalities, and added the Mexican sides in as well (even in these times the communities are interconnected). I then multiplied the Mexican sides numbers by 2.5X times to factor in some under reporting. When the Mexican side population was included in the denominator the RGV had 40 cases less per 10K population than the Houston area. But deaths were 3X higher. I attribute that to crappy docs and unhealthy people. Also to a lot of deaths being attributed to Covid that should not have been. But something is off with that number.

The true situation is the RGV is not being accurately represented and there is a lot of distortion and manipulation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.