Is there and value to an antibody test?

1,839 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SunrayAg
SunrayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am reasonably certain that my wife and I both had mild cases in late July, but we were never tested.

We both had mild symptoms, got better in a few days, then completely lost our sense of smell a week later. Now a month out, sense of smell is slowly returning and back to 30% to 40% of what it should be.

Is there any value to getting an antibody test now?

The reason I ask is, my mom is 80 and broke her pelvis 3 weeks ago. The insurance company decided it was time to kick her out of the LTC and send her home. So she has been sent home to live on the ranch by herself. My wife might go stay with her for a while until she can get around a little better.

Should we be concerned if we were both sick a month ago?

Would a positive antibody test mean my wife would not need to worry about going around an 80 year old?
AgE Doc
AG
Your case certainly does sound like a possible COVID case.

If the antibody test is positive then that would be reassuring.

If I was in your situation I would consider getting antibody tested and if positive that would decrease concerns of you & your wife's presence around your mother. If you were negative you might consider COVID screening to see if you could identify any remnants of COVID RNA or antigen even if not still contagious.

If all testing is negative you could still provide care for her but you would want to be very cautious with how you go about your day to day activities in terms of exposures that you could potentially bring into her home.
lazuras_dc
AG
Antibodies means you had covid and developed an antibody response to the virus. With a positive antibody test you can have some confidence that you will not get the virus again. The risk is probably low but it's still possible you could come into contact with someone shedding the virus and spread it as an intermediary that way. However, if you are antibody positive and in fact had covid, at this point it's not likely at all that you guys are contagious from when you were sick a month ago.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
If you hve the antibodies, then you were sick/exposed and should have some resistance to future infection.

Don't pay for a test, call your local blood bank, most are testing all donations for free. Give a pint, get a free test and now you know without the cost.
AgE Doc
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

If you hve the antibodies, then you were sick/exposed and should have some resistance to future infection.

Don't pay for a test, call your local blood bank, most are testing all donations for free. Give a pint, get a free test and now you know without the cost.
What this person said!
SunrayAg
AG
I would love to be able to... but I don't think they want mine. Lymphoma diagnosis in 2012.

But, we went and got the quick test this afternoon.

I was positive for the long one.

My wife was positive for both. The clinic said that means she still has it. It has been a month since she was "sick". They recommended she wait a week and retest before going to see grandma.

Now I'm just confused.
bigtruckguy3500
SunrayAg said:

I would love to be able to... but I don't think they want mine. Lymphoma diagnosis in 2012.

But, we went and got the quick test this afternoon.

I was positive for the long one.

My wife was positive for both. The clinic said that means she still has it. It has been a month since she was "sick". They recommended she wait a week and retest before going to see grandma.

Now I'm just confused.
No, she doesn't still have COVID. IgM fades quickly over time, while IgG fades slowly over time. Sometimes so slowly that it's virtually lifelong immunity. IgM doesn't linger around if someone has active virus in their system either. For example, people with chick pox, or herpes, those are lifelong infections. The body's IgM production drops off after a few weeks once IgG is in place.

For whatever reason your wife has IgM still in her system, or something that looks close enough to COVID IgM that it's producing a false positive.

Based off all the data we've seen, if you/your wife is 10+ days from symptom onset, and 24 hours fever free, with all other symptoms improving, I'd feel pretty confident that you are no longer infectious.
SunrayAg
AG
Thanks for that explanation, and the chart is very helpful!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.