Why Expect a Resurgence in the Fall

5,669 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by beerad12man
Proudag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I continue to see people say it will be worse in the late fall when "flu season" hits again and the virus will make a comeback. For instance, the post about Colorado fall HS sports specifically said they want to finish by Nov before a presumed second wave hits.

I understood this logic before the summer when most expected this to act similar to seasonal cold and flu viruses, recurring each season but dying out in summer. However, having seen that the summer heat has seemingly had no impact on the virus (unfortunately) and thus it hasn't acted like the flu in summer, why do people still expect it to act like the flu in winter?

Am I missing something or are there other factors that still show COVID to be seasonally affected?
Aggie95
AG
I agree for the most part.
The difficult part will be when the flu starts, deciphering if you have flu or covid. I could see some thinking its flu and end up spreading the VID.
Duncan Idaho
Because you will have covid hospitalizations on top of flu hospitalizations
cone
AG
does anyone think that the flu will be absolutely crushed by all the measures in places that will continue as a bulwark against COVID?

I kinda do
Lemmys Rickenbacker
cone said:

does anyone think that the flu will be absolutely crushed by all the measures in places that will continue as a bulwark against COVID?

I kinda do

I agree, masks and social distancing will have a definite impact.
Beat40
Aggie95 said:

I agree for the most part.
The difficult part will be when the flu starts, deciphering if you have flu or covid. I could see some thinking its flu and end up spreading the VID.

I've thought this same thing. Everyone is worried about school for the fall, but I think the toughest strain on schools will be Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar as they have to determine flu vs COVID.

If they keep the don't come to school when sick rules in place, it helps mitigate it.
Beat40
cone said:

I kinda do

Think so as well. Flu season had already kind of been winding down when COVID really took off, but the measures still had affect on Flu.

Think if we're keeping certain policies in place, Flu season will be impacted.
jamey
AG
Proudag06 said:

However, having seen that the summer heat has seemingly had no impact on the virus (unfortunately) and thus it hasn't acted like the flu in summer, why do people still expect it to act like the flu in winter?

Am I missing something or are there other factors that still show COVID to be seasonally affected?

What evidence is there the summer had no impact?

Cases rose in the summer but its also a new virus.

Otherwise whats to say it wont be worse in the fall/winter like most respiratory viruses?

jeffdjohnson
I would also bet money that more people get the flu shot this year than in a normal year.
beerad12man
AG
It won't make a comeback. This thing is cycling through and we will be damn near done by November/December

People still have immunity to this from coronavirus they experienced years ago, so not likely to reinfect someone that already has had it. there haven't been any cases confirmed of this happening. At least not multiple hospitalizations. So yeah, with the Us inching closer to 20% already, wouldn't shock me if we were at 30-40% by November. Even without measures being taken By state or government, we should be okay just because of how many will still be taking their own
beerad12man
AG
Ask, as harsh as it sounds, a lot of people who would have Died from covid May have been in the flu numbers this fall. So that can help flu numbers

Not to mention less travel which is where it comes from during different seasons in different countries.
I Am A Critic
beerad12man said:

It won't make a comeback. This thing is cycling through and we will be damn near done by November/December

That'd be a fun bet to take some money out of your
pocket.
Username checks out.
gougler08
AG
I think generally that as we do return to school/work in larger amounts, people will not go in as often if they are feeling slightly sick (and we'll see plenty of people take advantage of this as well), which should help keep flu #'s down
cone
AG
those days are over if your experience with remote work has been generally acceptable and productive
gougler08
AG
Agreed, and it's a good thing
Big Al 1992
AG
Problem is going to be any kind of cold or flu or kid with a fever and runny nose will be treated as Covid and people will freak out.
fig96
AG
gougler08 said:

I think generally that as we do return to school/work in larger amounts, people will not go in as often if they are feeling slightly sick (and we'll see plenty of people take advantage of this as well), which should help keep flu #'s down
I mean, whatever you may end up having (flu, COVID, other) this is really the best thing for everyone so it's kind of nice that we may come out of this with at least one positive.
AggieFrog
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Problem is going to be any kind of cold or flu or kid with a fever and runny nose will be treated as Covid and people will freak out.
Absolutely - look at the CDC chart and tell me how a school nurse is going to be able to determine if a child has COVID or not come later in the fall. The symptoms overlap so much, and the presentation in children so similar, to any number of normal child illnesses. Add in that RNs are super-sensitive to their licenses, and you have a recipe for most anything to be assumed COVID until otherwise indicated.

twk
AG
cone said:

those days are over if your experience with remote work has been generally acceptable and productive
Perhaps, but that begs the question: how much of the population fits into that category? A much larger chunk of Texags users can work remotely than the general population.
gougler08
AG
fig96 said:

gougler08 said:

I mean, whatever you may end up having (flu, COVID, other) this is really the best thing for everyone so it's kind of nice that we may come out of this with at least one positive.
No doubt and I do think people just being more generally aware of hygiene and impacts to other will be nice too. Not worth what we've gone through of course but somewhat of a silver lining
Sisyphus

The virus spreads more readily indoors so, as people start to spend more time indoors in the fall, the assumption is more people will get it. But if people who can work from home continue to do so and large gatherings/bars/restaurants continue to be restricted, the spread can hopefully be slowed/controlled.

The presence of the flu doesn't contribute or take away from the spread of COVID so much as it adds to the stress on hospitals. But, like others have mentioned, the COVID restrictions will push the flu numbers way down. I saw an article a few weeks ago that said that it was hardly spreading at all in the Southern hemisphere during their winter (I would provide a link but I can't remember where I saw it).
tysker
AG
Quote:

Absolutely - look at the CDC chart and tell me how a school nurse is going to be able to determine if a child has COVID or not come later in the fall. The symptoms overlap so much, and the presentation in children so similar, to any number of normal child illnesses.
I suspect there will be a lot of 'Dont Ask, Dont Tell' going on with parents, teachers and nurses.
Aggie95
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

this is true. it won't be as big a deal if we can get reliable testing down to about 48 hours. If we have to keep waiting 7-10 days for a test it will be very difficult to keep kids in school without missing 10-20 days.
AggieFrog
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

Absolutely - look at the CDC chart and tell me how a school nurse is going to be able to determine if a child has COVID or not come later in the fall. The symptoms overlap so much, and the presentation in children so similar, to any number of normal child illnesses.
I suspect there will be a lot of 'Dont Ask, Dont Tell' going on with parents, teachers and nurses.

Parents, absolutely. Have talked to several teachers and they are concerned if they don't send a kid to the nurse for fear that they might be blamed if some kid does have it, they suspected something, did not send the student and something happens. Nurses, in particular, are most definitely not likely to do this - their license could be at risk.
Old RV Ag
AG
beerad12man said:

People still have immunity to this from coronavirus they experienced years ago, so not likely to reinfect someone that already has had it. there haven't been any cases confirmed of this happening. At least not multiple hospitalizations. So yeah, with the Us inching closer to 20% already, wouldn't shock me if we were at 30-40% by November. Even without measures being taken By state or government, we should be okay just because of how many will still be taking their own
Please provide your facebook reference for this definitive take on it.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
cone said:

I kinda do
Australia has seen a very mild flu season this winter (our summer), so there might be something to that, but that is also assuming we maintain social distancing measures, which I am not sure we will come winter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
i'm assuming at least moderate social distancing is here to stay until a vaccine and likely beyond that

we're institutionalized now
DTP02
AG
cone said:

I kinda do

There is also the fact that many of the most vulnerable people to COVID19 are also the most vulnerable to the flu. But you can only die once.

The "excess death" number thru the end of flu season should be greatly impacted by that. Essentially, many of the people who would have died from the upcoming flu season will have already died from COVID19.
AgsMyDude
AG
I'm not so sure without some restrictions in place. If Abbott came out Monday opening bars and removing mask mandate that "institutionalization" would be gone by September. We're very quick to forget.
TCTTS
AG
Won't masks and social distancing help to mitigate the flu this coming season as well?
AggieBiker
AG
TCTTS said:

Won't masks and social distancing help to mitigate the flu this coming season as well?
Yes it will along with people working from home, not gathering in churches, not going to parties, not going to sports events and not traveling between countries to the extent we normally do. Many are not just socially distancing, which I think of as maintaining the six foot distance from one another, many are avoiding activities that allow any in-person visual contact with other people.

When I hear people say they haven't been out to eat at a restaurant or spent any time around their 50-70 year old parents or grandparents for five months now, I know they have taken social distancing to an unhealthy extreme that is not likely to significantly change until this is much more eliminated from daily life. Even my physician believes the flu will be non-existent this year. How will any virus spread at its normal levels with some major companies already not returning to their offices until after January 1, next summer or ever? There is just not going to be the same level of human contact that we normally have for the next 6-9 months.
TCTTS
Seven Costanza
AG
Sisyphus said:

The virus spreads more readily indoors so, as people start to spend more time indoors in the fall, the assumption is more people will get it.

I've never really understood this. Regardless of season, people spend the overwhelming majority of the time indoors. When the weather is nice, most people only spend a little more time outside (on most days) and remain indoors for most of the work/school day and at night.
cone
AG
it's like people on twitter blaming the AC for the summer spike in Texas

bro, we're on AC for 9 months out of the year
beerad12man
AG
I Am A Critic said:

beerad12man said:

That'd be a fun bet to take some money out of your
pocket.
Or maybe your pocket. Swedens bet would be winning thus far, and aren't they basically in their fall?

Texas is merely a month or two behind Sweden's projections at this time. If they see a spike, then I'll retract a bit.

Also, comments like these make me wonder if some of you would rather be right than root for what is actually best, and that this virus starts fizzling out around the 15-25% mark.

I can't speak for every state, but texas is on the trend to not make a comeback. If you follow anywhere else in the entire world. New data might come in and change this, but I have yet to see data that proves this wrong once an area hits about 15-25% of their population infected.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.