Preprint: Herd Immunity Threshold of 10-20%

19,420 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Keegan99
AgE Doc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

With a new disease that will likely be endemic, what is the "normally expected" level. Historically it would be 0, but going forward expecting an endemic disease would anticipate non zero. At some point it should be at endemic levels but that is still above the historical 0.

I agree completely with that.

However, I don't think it would be at a level of over 16,000 Europeans dead from late May to late July, which is what some have asserted is inconsequential with regards to the COVID-19 "Pandemic".
plain_o_llama
There are a lot of different ideas floating around out there. My opinion is we don't have enough experience with the virus and the corresponding disease to rule them out. However some seem less likely than others.

For instance, some folks have pointed to the fact that classic SARS and MERS "died out" to suggest that Covid will do the same if we can just halt the spread. I've had someone insist that if we would all could just go sit in a closet for 14 days the disease would be gone. This type of assumption seems to motivate some of the most strident of the mitigation proponents.

My suspicion is even if this was socially and behaviorally possible we have already passed the point where it will be endemic. That suspicion is predicated on a few assumptions. Specifically, like other established respiratory viruses, Covid will continue to circulate because "immunity" wanes for enough people annually, the virus genetically drifts enough, new humans enter the population, and there are still unappreciated aspects of epidemiology that allow it persist seasonally.

If we don't get a "die out" scenario, how soon we transition from a virus and disease that is predominantly driven by its novelty in the population to a virus/disease that is endemic/seasonal is only guessing.
beerad12man
AG
AgE Doc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

With a new disease that will likely be endemic, what is the "normally expected" level. Historically it would be 0, but going forward expecting an endemic disease would anticipate non zero. At some point it should be at endemic levels but that is still above the historical 0.

However, I don't think it would be at a level of over 16,000 Europeans dead from late May to late July, which is what some have asserted is inconsequential with regards to the COVID-19 "Pandemic".

Again, you keep saying that number, but....

They are 2.11 times our population and this is over 2 months. Imagine if we lost 7582 over the next 60 days, or 668 in Texas over 2 months. That's 126 per day. Or taking the same numbers to Texas population, 11 people per day.. When 7600 die per day, or 550-600 in Texas daily.

It's sad for each one, but it's statistically insignificant for a nation as a whole to call it a pandemic
AgE Doc
AG
plain_o_llama said:

There are a lot of different ideas floating around out there. My opinion is we don't have enough experience with the virus and the corresponding disease to rule them out. However some seem less likely than others.

For instance, some folks have pointed to the fact that classic SARS and MERS "died out" to suggest that Covid will do the same if we can just halt the spread. I've had someone insist that if we would all could just go sit in a closet for 14 days the disease would be gone. This type of assumption seems to motivate some of the most strident of the mitigation proponents.

My suspicion is even if this was socially and behaviorally possible we have already passed the point where it will be endemic. That suspicion is predicated on a few assumptions. Specifically, like other established respiratory viruses, Covid will continue to circulate because "immunity" wanes for enough people annually, the virus genetically drifts enough, new humans enter the population, and there are still unappreciated aspects of epidemiology that allow it persist seasonally.

If we don't get a "die out" scenario, how soon we transition from a virus and disease that is predominantly driven by its novelty in the population to a virus/disease that is endemic/seasonal is only guessing.

If memory serves me correctly MERS wasn't very contagious from Human to Human and SARS didn't become contagious until after symptoms were evident which made it a lot easier to reduce the R-naught compared to COVID-19 which is commonly transmissible up to 48 hours prior to symptoms developing. I agree it would be much more difficult to extinguish COVID-19 without long lasting immunity from natural infection or vaccine.
eric76
AG
AgE Doc said:

plain_o_llama said:

If memory serves me correctly MERS wasn't very contagious from Human to Human and SARS didn't become contagious until after symptoms were evident which made it a lot easier to reduce the R-naught compared to COVID-19 which is commonly transmissible up to 48 hours prior to symptoms developing. I agree it would be much more difficult to extinguish COVID-19 without long lasting immunity from natural infection or vaccine.
That's my understanding, too, regarding SARS not being contagious until after symptoms were evident. Also, the symptoms were serious enough with the mortality what it was, people didn't pretend that nothing was wrong when they started showing symptoms. Also, I think that in the areas where it was strong, quarantines of anyone who might have been exposed were supposedly very stringent and had police involvement to make sure that people stayed quarantined.
eric76
AG
beerad12man said:

AgE Doc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

They are 2.11 times our population and this is over 2 months. Imagine if we lost 7582 over the next 60 days, or 668 in Texas over 2 months. That's 126 per day. Or taking the same numbers to Texas population, 11 people per day.. When 7600 die per day, or 550-600 in Texas daily.

It's sad for each one, but it's statistically insignificant for a nation as a whole to call it a pandemic
Perhaps we shouldn't call the first wave of the Spanish Flu in 1918 a pandemic, then. In the US, we have had more deaths from covid-19 so far than in the first wave of the Spanish Flu despite our advances in medicine since then.

Yeah, sometimes you see this referred to as the second wave. I think it far more accurate to think of this as still being in the first wave since our decline in the number of cases for a month or so had far more to do with our attempts to avoid the disease than because of the disease running its course.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

beerad12man said:

AgE Doc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Perhaps we shouldn't call the first wave of the Spanish Flu in 1918 a pandemic, then. In the US, we have had more deaths from covid-19 so far than in the first wave of the Spanish Flu despite our advances in medicine since then.

Yeah, sometimes you see this referred to as the second wave. I think it far more accurate to think of this as still being in the first wave since our decline in the number of cases for a month or so had far more to do with our attempts to avoid the disease than because of the disease running its course.
You cannot compare # of deaths from 1917 to 2020 without a per capita break down. The population of USA in 1917 was roughly 103 million. In 2020 it is 330.5 million.

https://www.multpl.com/united-states-population/table/by-year

The 1918 year was much worse but over the two years estimated 675,000 deaths in USA from Spanish Flu. so Per capita today would be 2.1 million or so over the 2 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

Spanish flu was far worse. As you correctly mention it would not be even close to as dangerous today due to improved medicine. Many of the spanish flu deaths were attributed to co-infection with TB and/or bacterial pneumonia.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

beerad12man said:

AgE Doc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

You cannot compare # of deaths from 1917 to 2020 without a per capita break down. The population of USA in 1917 was roughly 103 million. In 2020 it is 330.5 million.

The 1918 year was much worse but over the two years estimated 675,000 deaths in USA from Spanish Flu. so Per capita today would be 2.1 million or so over the 2 years.

Spanish flu was far worse. As you correctly mention it would not be even close to as dangerous today due to improved medicine. Many of the spanish flu deaths were attributed to co-infection with TB and/or bacterial pneumonia.
Good point. Note, however, that I was just referring to the first wave which was had the lowest death rate of the three waves. Supposedly, the mortality during the first wave wasn't all that much higher than during a normal year of the flu.

Of course, we don't know if there will be additional waves of covid-19. This one is still going strong.

In any case, people who are trying to downplay covid-19 keep trying to compare it to the flu and saying that it is less serious than the flu, so it seems reasonable to compare the first wave of the Spanish flu with the first wave of covid-19.
AgsMyDude
AG
While true handwashing wasn't even common practice during the Spanish Flu.

We've come a long way since then.
amercer
AG
The data analysis a lot of people like to post on here is rosier than what is being done by every other source. Doesn't mean that people on here are wrong, but it's certainly an outlier.
cone
AG
I get all my predictions from The Atlantic
AggieFlyboy
AG
cone said:

There's no bias there /s
amercer
AG
cone said:

The New Yorker or GTFO
beerad12man
AG
eric76 said:

KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

beerad12man said:

AgE Doc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Good point. Note, however, that I was just referring to the first wave which was had the lowest death rate of the three waves. Supposedly, the mortality during the first wave wasn't all that much higher than during a normal year of the flu.

Of course, we don't know if there will be additional waves of covid-19. This one is still going strong.

In any case, people who are trying to downplay covid-19 keep trying to compare it to the flu and saying that it is less serious than the flu, so it seems reasonable to compare the first wave of the Spanish flu with the first wave of covid-19.

Never once have I said it's less than the flu.

I'm not downplaying anything. I'm saying it's (way past)time for each individual to take their relative risk and move on with life. Nothing more, nothing less. We have tons of data to make that assessment on our own now.

I personally do not see this having a second wave based on the data we have unless some trends start to drastically change. I guess it's a little early to know for sure. But I'm pretty confident in that. I think we are over the hump in Texas and will trend down overall from this point forward. Now, does that mean we won't have any flare ups in some spots? No. Of course that will still happen. But our states numbers on the whole I expect both deaths and cases to trend downwards from this point forward. Let's hope that true whether you believe it or not
beerad12man
AG
amercer said:

The data analysis a lot of people like to post on here is rosier than what is being done by every other source. Doesn't mean that people on here are wrong, but it's certainly an outlier.

No it isn't an outlier. There are tons of sources out there who all are pointing out similar things.
BiochemAg97
AG
plain_o_llama said:

Agree. It has spread too far. Even if you could get a country to lock down and hide out for long enough, all it takes is one infected person to start the whole thing again. Even New Zealand which as an island is easy to isolate had new cases pop up from seemingly nowhere and have gone back to near complete lockdown. Current assumption is virus was on a refrigerated package of food that was imported.

This one is not going away on its own.
Keegan99
AG
New Zealand is back to square one. And they might not have the economic stamina to stick with it long term. Oops.

And if it they snuff out this outbreak? Their next prize is another outbreak and several more weeks of hard lockdown. Not a matter of if, but when. And it's lather, rinse, repeat on the hope that there is an effective vaccine before their economy is kaput.

They're going to drive their car into a telephone pole trying to dodge a squirrel in the road after thinking it was a mammoth.

Trying to stop this thing is like trying to stop JFF on a college football field. You can wear yourself out slowing it down for a while, but eventually it will get you.
Keegan99
AG

So that "just three days" lockdown in New Zealand has grown by a bit. It's breathtaking to see myopic, reckless policy choices piled on top of one another.
DTP02
AG
Keegan99 said:

So that "just three days" lockdown in New Zealand has grown by a bit. It's breathtaking to see myopic, reckless policy choices piled on top of one another.

So much psychology underpinning these policy decisions all across the globe. It would be fascinating in an academic sense if it wasn't so tragic.

So few policy-makers willing to actually lead on the response and make decisions not out of fear and risk aversion, but out of a desire to achieve the best outcome for their constituencies .

This doesn't apply to NZ because of their isolation, but I saw an interesting article the other day about how political divisions, whether the fed government in a top down democracy, or a regional or state government in a more diffuse democracy, seem to adopt mitigation policies similar to their neighbors. The obvious implication is not that they are adopting those policies because of their effectiveness, but because no one is willing to take the chance to be an outlier, no matter what the data might say.

Kudos to Sweden for being one of the few exceptions.
goodAg80
AG
New Zeeland has a chance to make their strategy work. Keeping CoVId at bay until a vaccine is working is possible for them since they can restrict travel into the country. It might not work, but to disparage it now is probably premature.
Keegan99
AG
Yes their strategy worked so well they're now back in at least two weeks of hard lockdown.

Committing economic seppuku in an attempt at temporary eradication (until it inevitably pops up again...) is not a strategy. It's lunacy.

But it shows that politicians are "strong" and are "doing something" so they will keep doing it as long as the terrified masses will stomach it.
JP_Losman
AG
agree. just watched news this morning... New Jersey still doesn't have restaurant dining rooms open!
They have completely destroyed that sector of business. Only ashes remain
Keegan99
AG
The northeast governors refusing to loosen restrictions in the face of all-but-nonexistent hospitalizations and fatalities is jaw dropping.

There is no metric justifying their continued tyranny.
goodAg80
AG
Keegan99 said:

Yes their strategy worked so well they're now back in at least two weeks of hard lockdown.

Committing economic seppuku in an attempt at temporary eradication (until it inevitably pops up again...) is not a strategy. It's lunacy.

But it shows that politicians are "strong" and are "doing something" so they will keep doing it as long as the terrified masses will stomach it.
That's your opinion and it seems harsh. You would advocate that they just create an environment for people to die. Your strategy would be real seppuku for people, whereas they have chosen to accept a business seppuku. I would say that is a choice and not acting out of fear.

Your choice is business over people and you have made that clear. You should realize others may not feel the same way as you.
Keegan99
AG
Economic vitality does not exist in a vacuum.

When the economy plummets, overall health declines and deaths follow.

In the US it's likely that the marginal increase in suicides alone will exceed COVID deaths for those under age 30.

So it's not an either/or proposition, and to act as if yours is the only compassionate course is simply wrong. If a nation wants to truly save lives it must shield the vulnerable and allow the rest of society to proceed.
beerad12man
AG
goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

That's your opinion and it seems harsh. You would advocate that they just create an environment for people to die. Your strategy would be real seppuku for people, whereas they have chosen to accept a business seppuku. I would say that is a choice and not acting out of fear.

Your choice is business over people and you have made that clear. You should realize others may not feel the same way as you.

I think that's an inaccurate misinterpretation of his choices.

I interpret his choice the same as mine. That is, putting 99%, or maybe even 99.9% of people over the other 0.1%(and even then, some of the strategies used to try to protect that .1% might not help). I don't believe that we have ever in human history causes this much destruction to the young and healthy to protect a select few. No one is choosing a single business over a single person. This isn't binary. It's about the lives of the vast majority over the very, very underwhelming few to us.

This is unprecedented to do what we have been doing, and especially for this long. As a species have been through far, far worse diseases with far less treatment/medical abilities to top that off.
goodAg80
AG
Keegan99 said:

In the US it's likely that the marginal increase in suicides alone will exceed COVID deaths for those under age 30.

So it's not an either/or proposition, and to act as if yours is the only compassionate course is simply wrong.
I have not expressed my opinion in this particular matter, so you are jumping to conclusions. I am open minded about what New Zealand is doing though. The have a unique circumstance so they can consider a unique solution. I was just saying they might be able to pull it off. They might not and then they will really regret it.

Other than originally saying we should just let this burn itself out, I have tried to advocate for a middle ground. I am against total lockdowns and I am against doing nothing. I don't think business trumps people dying, but I accept that preventing all deaths is unrealistic and overall harmful.

Beat40
goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

They are also banking on an effective vaccine soon. What if a viable vaccine for everyone isn't available for another year and a half, which is what a lot of people are saying it will be for the US? What if the vaccine is only 30% effective In given years?

The virus can and will be imported each time they come out of lockdown. They can't snuff it out.

You see opening things back up as creating an environment of people dying. It's not that simple.
BiochemAg97
AG
goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

That ignores that killing businesses kills people. The choice is between people suffering from COVID and people suffering from economic destruction .
goodAg80
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

That ignores that killing businesses kills people. The choice is between people suffering from COVID and people suffering from economic destruction .
It does not ignore that reality. It is a choice between the two. I see some on the board who want to tolerate the deaths and treat them as a matter of course. That is a choice too. New Zealand is making their choice and I don't think it would have a chance here in the USA, but as I have said, it might work for them.
BiochemAg97
AG
goodAg80 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

It does not ignore that reality. It is a choice between the two. I see some on the board who want to tolerate the deaths and treat them as a matter of course. That is a choice too. New Zealand is making their choice and I don't think it would have a chance here in the USA, but as I have said, it might work for them.

I'm sorry, but when you use the words " Your choice is business over people", it certainly comes across as you completely ignoring that destroying businesses and putting people of work kills.
SirLurksALot
goodAg80 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

The deaths are of minimal impact. The country will easily move on as if those that died never existed. The economic impacts are far worse. It will take several years for us to recover.

Just because you're overly emotional doesn't mean everyone else is.
goodAg80
AG
SirLurksALot said:

goodAg80 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

The deaths are of minimal impact. The country will easily move on as if those that died never existed. The economic impacts are far worse. It will take several years for us to recover.

You are putting words in my mouth. You sound upset.
SirLurksALot
goodAg80 said:

SirLurksALot said:

goodAg80 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

You are putting words in my mouth. You sound upset.

I'm very upset that this country has decided to make life miserable for millions of people in order to placate the irrational fears of a bunch of people that have never experienced what real fear is.

If you support any government restrictions then you also support this mentality.
Ragoo
AG
goodAg80 said:

Keegan99 said:

So it's not an either/or proposition, and to act as if yours is the only compassionate course is simply wrong.
I have not expressed my opinion in this particular matter, so you are jumping to conclusions. I am open minded about what New Zealand is doing though. The have a unique circumstance so they can consider a unique solution. I was just saying they might be able to pull it off. They might not and then they will really regret it.

Other than originally saying we should just let this burn itself out, I have tried to advocate for a middle ground. I am against total lockdowns and I am against doing nothing. I don't think business trumps people dying, but I accept that preventing all deaths is unrealistic and overall harmful.

the trouble is that death will find us all. May be tomorrow may be 30 years or more.

So the middle ground should be a lot closer to a free and open society that benefits 330,000,000 people versus a partial lockdown that may protect a couple hundred thousand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.