Sweden's Strategy Backfired

36,509 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PJYoung
Sq 17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
obviously Sweden or any countries strategy can't be deemed a failure or a success until a few months have passed, Obviously SK has been a success, also what SK did is not applicable to places that do not have the ability to test and where community spread is firmly established.

What happens over the next several weeks will determine what the report card looks like in three months
I am not certain at what level but i am certain more personal social distancing is happening in Sweden than 2 weeks ago even without a govt order.

the final grade for countries like the US and Sweden will likely be affected on what happens in the next 6 weeks instead of the prior six weeks. The two major determining factors over the next six weeks will be.

Can an effective treatment regimen be developed and rolled out at scale ?
Can antibody testing be rolled out at scale to determine the underlying exposed % of the population ?
lastly can the govt come up with the right combination of restrictions and fiscal stimulus to ptevent the situation from spiralling out of control

Strategies will be graded against other countries Most of the numbers are in for Italy by the middle of the summer we should have an idea which countries did worse, better, or comparable
Pumpkinhead
AG
dermdoc said:

Sarduakar said:

Why cant dermdoc and angelag both be right? Why cant the mass transit of NYC and a potential slightly higher herd mentality in California and Washington from "earlier" exposure BOTH be the cause of NYC having higher cases?
Agree.
dermdoc, this guy seems to know his stuff and his twitter feed provides lots of information related to analyizing how this infection spread from China. Following some of your posts, I do think this guy has answered (or responded to) several of your questions and he does appear to an expert on the subject who has done a lot of analysis:

dermdoc
AG
He makes a great case. Looks like I was wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

They are leveling off just like most are now. Time will tell who was right and who was wrong.
Charpie
AG
Why did you start another thread on this same topic and post the same stuff on both?
UTExan
Sq 17 said:

obviously Sweden or any countries strategy can't be deemed a failure or a success until a few months have passed, Obviously SK has been a success, also what SK did is not applicable to places that do not have the ability to test and where community spread is firmly established.

What happens over the next several weeks will determine what the report card looks like in three months
I am not certain at what level but i am certain more personal social distancing is happening in Sweden than 2 weeks ago even without a govt order.

the final grade for countries like the US and Sweden will likely be affected on what happens in the next 6 weeks instead of the prior six weeks. The two major determining factors over the next six weeks will be.

Can an effective treatment regimen be developed and rolled out at scale ?
Can antibody testing be rolled out at scale to determine the underlying exposed % of the population ?
lastly can the govt come up with the right combination of restrictions and fiscal stimulus to ptevent the situation from spiralling out of control

Strategies will be graded against other countries Most of the numbers are in for Italy by the middle of the summer we should have an idea which countries did worse, better, or comparable

This is so true. They can still mitigate the threat with distancing and masks unlike the densely packed NYC area. Swedes are also on average healthier than New Yorkers, with their packed mass transit and small apartments.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Sq 17
I would say the Swedes ARE mitgating the risk. When the numbers start getting bad , you do not need a govt order to start social distancing
PJYoung
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.