Sweden's Strategy Backfired

36,465 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PJYoung
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stay open? Disregard all those preventive measures warnings? Sweden now has 8,419 cases and a death rate of 68 per million. I get it that people want to open their businesses up and go on with normal life, but there is some serious denial about how physically destructive this corona virus is.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
FireAg
AG
Mortality rate is 68 per 1,000,000? 0.007%
Matsui
AG
Yeah that isn't a lot.
Dddfff
AG
"Sweden's Strategy Backfired"

Umm that's opinion stated as a fact.

/coronabro
Pelayo
AG
Their CFR is 8.1%
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
NM
UTExan
Their infections are on the increase, obviously, and they have the highest fatality rate by far of any Nordic country.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TXAggie2011
AG
For comparison's sake, the US is at about 39 deaths per 1 million population at the moment.

Certainly, Sweden's rate is still a fraction of Italy/Spain scenarios, but almost 1/3rd of all Swedish deaths have taken place in the past 2 days.

That rate will obviously move up, but it will most likely move up quite swiftly. Based on approach, they'll likely start to look like the Netherlands, which just had its worst day of deaths by a significant margin and is now at 131 deaths per 1 million.
chase128
AG
Sarcasm detected.
russ05
AG
Deaths per million population, not cases.

They're lower than the larger European countries but much higher than the US.

You would think Finland/Norway should be close to Sweden. Their numbers are 7 and 17 per million respectively. I'm not sure if they took a different approach or not.
Windy City Ag
AG
I will say that if any country could successfully deploy this strategy, it is probably Sweden. Their citizens are pretty conscientious.
UTExan
And Sweden will likely be changing course:

Quote:

A recent article in The Guardian reported that the Swedish government is in the process of drawing up "extraordinary" legislation to deal with the growing threat posed by COVID-19. The death toll in Sweden, which is nearing 500, is significantly higher than some of its Nordic neighbors who have adopted a more hands-on approach to fighting the virus. Norway, for instance, has only tallied 76 COVID-19 deaths thus far, perhaps because they went all in on early prevention efforts, including closing schools, banning cultural events, and even prohibiting "cabin holidays."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2020/04/06/swedens-covid-19-fear-is-catching-up-to-the-rest-of-the-world/#7f0dad5b637e
TXAggie2011
AG
russ05 said:

You would think Finland/Norway should be close to Sweden. Their numbers are 7 and 17 per million respectively. I'm not sure if they took a different approach or not.
Norway's approach was much more strict and aggressive. This is a decent account of the Norwegian and Swedish approaches: https://blogs.prio.org/2020/03/norway-and-sweden-battling-coronavirus-in-two-different-worlds/

It is written by a Swede living in Norway, so that adds some unique perspective.

I don't know much about the Finnish approach, but I think it was cautious and something of a middle-ground that's gradually become stricter.
Seven Costanza
AG
Stating the obvious, but keep in mind that the number of deaths will go up, but the population will not, so that deaths per million number will only skyrocket from here.

It would be interesting (albeit awful) to see a country just let it rip through in an unabated blaze of death, quickly gaining immunity and being done with the whole thing over a relatively short time.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

It would be interesting (albeit awful) to see a country just let it rip through in an unabated blaze of death, quickly gaining immunity and being done with the whole thing over a relatively short time.
I'm not sure we'll get to see it, at least in the developed world.

The UK's government quickly realized they didn't have the stomach for it, and it sounds like Dutch and Swedish stomachs are getting rather queasy.
jm94
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Perhaps North Korea is doing this.
fightingfarmer09
The key factor that will not be evident anytime soon is, will their strategy speed up the infection rate and get them free and clear sooner?

The first countries to be "recovered" and in a position to economically set the table for "post coronavirus" will be WAY better off than a country that is continually fighting it off.
TXAggie2011
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

The key factor that will not be evident anytime soon is, will their strategy speed up the infection rate and get them free and clear sooner?

The first countries to be "recovered" and in a position to economically set the table for "post coronavirus" will be WAY better off than a country that is continually fighting it off.
The latter assertion is debatable, and the limited literature is not really supportive of that hypothesis.

And a complicating issue is the Swedish economy is based on trade. They don't have an economy well positioned to operate in isolation. But, I think we ought to avoid venturing deeper into that conversation.

As to the first paragraph, I agree that we'll need a lot more time as that may be the result of their approach.

But, just an academic point, the Swedes bet on their population behaving so well as to prevent some/alot of the spread. So, I wouldn't necessarily characterize their approach as one designed to just rip the band-aid off. I think that's more of the Dutch view, and they're backing off of it.
oragator
Sweden is an interesting case study.
They are slightly larger than California area wise, with around 1/4 of the population. They have no cities over a million people. Comparing them to the US isn't a good comparison, but when you compare them to other Nordic countries their deaths per million currently are 68, Norway is 17 and Finland is 7.
The question that no one has been able to quantify is "what's an acceptable loss for the sake of the larger economy"? There is a number, we wouldn't shut the whole economy down to save one 105 year old woman who had terminal cancer so that she could live another few weeks. Heck we don't shut it down now for flu, which averages 32k deaths a year. Everyone falls somewhere on the spectrum between that Extreme case though and "only if it means certain death for everyone".
But if the question is solely about lives, Sweden's decision is being proven to be the wrong one.
Exsurge Domine
Seven Costanza said:

Stating the obvious, but keep in mind that the number of deaths will go up, but the population will not, so that deaths per million number will only skyrocket from here.

Yeah it almost feels like lining everyone up against a firing squad, and playing Russian roulette with a 150 chamber revolver. It's going to be over quickly but it's going to be ugly
Strongweasel97
AG
Give this one time. The virus is breaking out there pretty quickly, and everything has remained open: bars, restaurants, etc.

If I had to guess, things are about to get really ugly, really quickly there.
Seven Costanza
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I'm not sure we'll get to see it, at least in the developed world.

The UK's government quickly realized they didn't have the stomach for it, and it sounds like Dutch and Swedish stomachs are getting rather queasy.

I don't think we'll see it either, but it would certainly be an interesting study and would help refine one end of the future models.
FTAG 2000
AG
jm94 said:

Seven Costanza said:

Nope, they're likely treating with a prescription of lead administered at high velocities.
KidDoc
AG
It will be interesting to look at per capita rates and CFR over the next 4-6 weeks with aggressive interventions like USA finally took vs Sweden basically doing nothing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
samsal75
AG
I hope ABBA doesn't get it and can still tour......oh wait??
P.U.T.U
AG
KidDoc said:

It will be interesting to look at per capita rates and CFR over the next 4-6 weeks with aggressive interventions like USA finally took vs Sweden basically doing nothing.
Especially since Sweden is one of the healthiest and from quick research has the eighth oldest population. Denmark, Finland, and Germany all are pretty similar so it is a fair comparison. But they also have a 20% smoking rate compared to Italy at 24%.

Is ripping the band-aid off or slowing tearing it off better?
California Ag 90
AG
your statistics belie your comments.

i would wager that on 12/31 if we compare Sweden's response to the rest of the world, in terms of per capita casualties AND impact on GDP/economic damage and its impact on public health, Sweden will be no worse than par on COVID casualties, and exceptional on GDP.

the data, when compiled after this is over, will be objective and undeniable, unlike the public commentary since this outbreak started..

our emotion laden public health policy is doing grave damage to public trust, which was already fragile.
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
PJYoung
AG
Seven Costanza said:

See most countries in Africa in a few weeks.
PJYoung
AG
California Ag 90 said:

i would wager that on 12/31 if we compare Sweden's response to the rest of the world, in terms of per capita casualties AND impact on GDP/economic damage and its impact on public health, Sweden will be no worse than par on COVID casualties, and exceptional on GDP.

the data, when compiled after this is over, will be objective and undeniable, unlike the public commentary since this outbreak started..

our emotion laden public health policy is doing grave damage to public trust, which was already fragile.

Literally almost every government in the world is doing what we have been doing and there are several that have been much more strict than we have been.

And do you really not think Sweden is about to go to a strict lock down like everybody else?

Not to mention, lock down or not, when the deaths mount up the economic damage is going to be done. People aren't going to go to concerts or movie theaters or restaurants or bars when they are fearful that they are putting their health in danger.

Have you seen Ecuador? They are running out of burial plots. (they have officially said only 220 have died of the virus so far)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ecuador-builds-emergency-cemeteries-amid-rising-deaths-coronavirus-cases-n1179091
panamamyers00
This is like saying a guy that went out in a 5:30 in the first mile of a marathon made a mistake because the guy that went out in four minutes for the first mile has a huge lead.

There is no way of knowing right now if Sweden made a mistake. Maybe they take their lumps and have herd immunity in July and the rest of the world is still trying to tip toe around how to get through this and end up taking the same amount of lumps spread out over two years.
Carnwellag2
jm94 said:

Seven Costanza said:

their population is always in lockdown
Keegan99
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Good question. How about Iran as a candidate? Not a Western nation, but didn't that kinda happen there?
California Ag 90
AG
PJYoung said:

California Ag 90 said:

Literally almost every government in the world is doing what we have been doing and there are several that have been much more strict than we have been.

And do you really not think Sweden is about to go to a strict lock down like everybody else?

Not to mention, lock down or not, when the deaths mount up the economic damage is going to be done. People aren't going to go to concerts or movie theaters or restaurants or bars when they are fearful that they are putting their health in danger.

Have you seen Ecuador? They are running out of burial plots. (they have officially said only 220 have died of the virus so far)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ecuador-builds-emergency-cemeteries-amid-rising-deaths-coronavirus-cases-n1179091
let's let the data tell the tale come 12/31.

we are here now because social media has made logic-driven public policy impossible - no politician, regardless of nation or political system, can withstand the howling mob that erupts over any death or anecdote like graves in Equador - even though EVERY public policy decision in health matters results in deaths (medicare, medicaid, opiate availability, vaccination requirements, the list goes on and on and every one has a statistical impact on death rates).

we are counting any coincident death with COVID as COVID. we are far below model projections regardless of geography. the poverty we are creating will kill people. those are just data-driven realities as of today. perhaps that will change for the worse - i hope not, but we will certainly see in time.

and no, i don't think Sweden will lock down. let's talk on 12/31.

We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
PJYoung
AG
California Ag 90 said:

PJYoung said:

California Ag 90 said:

let's let the data tell the tale come 12/31.

we are here now because social media has made logic-driven public policy impossible - no politician, regardless of nation or political system, can withstand the howling mob that erupts over any death or anecdote like graves in Equador - even though EVERY public policy decision in health matters results in deaths (medicare, medicaid, opiate availability, vaccination requirements, the list goes on and on and every one has a statistical impact on death rates).

we are counting any coincident death with COVID as COVID. we are far below model projections regardless of geography. the poverty we are creating will kill people. those are just data-driven realities as of today. perhaps that will change for the worse - i hope not, but we will certainly see in time.

and no, i don't think Sweden will lock down. let's talk on 12/31.

I agree that time will tell. I don't agree that Sweden will hang tough as the deaths mount.

Quote:

we are far below model projections regardless of geography.

This is the part that is funny to me. The same people that have always been against the social distancing and economic shutdowns are the first to say the deaths from this virus are falling far short of the model projections - ignoring the fact that our economic shutdowns and social distancing (that they have always been against) are the very reason the virus hasn't been as deadly as first projected by those models.
Sid Farkas
AG
Thank you Sweden for volunteering to be the guinea pig here. We're all watching

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.