Ivermectin vs COVID-19

15,505 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by revvie
Saltgrass
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
April 2020 CME Live Cattle futures closed at $126.77/cwt on Jan 22, 2020.

Today's April 2020 CME Live Cattle close was $88.32/cwt.

A 30+% decline in about 52 trading sessions.......Producers of fed cattle, yearlings, and calves are taking a huge hit while looking at a meteoric spike in margins for the packing sector...... and basically steady retail prices (to this point) for beef consumers - depending on product type and logistical challenges in putting the product in the beef case.

Wow, if it is eventually proven that likely the most widely used parasite control for cattle over the last couple of decades is effective against the virus.....

That would be irony at the highest level.

chris1515
AG
If you came down with covid...would you treat yourself with some Ivomec? It sounds like it's safe in humans. I'd be tempted to give it a shot.
aggiez03
AG
Yes
mrad85
AG
If I start to feel a little wormy, I mean virusy, I'm gonna choke down a power pack.

The horses will need to fend for themselves.
Shoefly!
AG
chris1515 said:

If you came down with covid...would you treat yourself with some Ivomec? It sounds like it's safe in humans. I'd be tempted to give it a shot.

You mean you never gave yourself a shot of combiotic when you felt the chills come on? It's no longer on the market otc.
FishrCoAg
AG
FDA has an approved dose of 0.2mg/kg in humans (oral) It takes 0.6mg/kg to reach theorized effective levels against virus. That is approximately 100x the dose in dogs to prevent heartworm, and 3x the label dose for the cattle injectable or the human labeled oral product.
La Fours
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Jethro95 said:

Gotta watch out for that dude with the ear tags.
As long as they don't fire up the branding iron!

You just have to do the branding first. Then the ivermectin.
Cancelled
AG
Just wait until the first boomer in Arizona ODs on Heartguard.
Ag00Ag
AG
Quote:

FDA has an approved dose of 0.2mg/kg in humans (oral) It takes 0.6mg/kg to reach theorized effective levels against virus. That is approximately 100x the dose in dogs to prevent heartworm, and 3x the label dose for the cattle injectable or the human labeled oral product.

3 mcg/Kg is the dose for monthly administration in dogs for heartworm prevention (with a wide variance, hence the 0-25,26-50 & 50-100 sizes).

Prior to the introduction of afloxolaners, we use to use Ivermectin in dogs at up to 400mcg to 600mcg daily for several weeks in a row to treat demodectic mange. Some breeds were prone to adverse reactions that included neuorlogic signs such as tremors, seizures and blindness at those doses, however most adverse reactions were transient and resolved after stopping the treatment. I have seen dogs demonstrate these signs, and in my exerience it would come after 7 to 10 days. Breeds that were at risk for adverse reactions (mostly collies and collie mix), could usually still tolerate up to 300mcg daily for a few weeks.

Not a pharmacologist or human Doc, but my suspicion would be that a 600mcg/Kg one time dose would be pretty tolerable.
FishrCoAg
AG
Probably so, if a one time dose is all it takes. My point was a person would never get to an effective dose using heartgard.
JB!98
AG
All stocked up with injectable product from saving a dog with heart worms. May go to tractor supply and get some more today!

I hate needles though so I will probably hold off.
FishrCoAg
AG
JB!98 said:

All stocked up with injectable product from saving a dog with heart worms. May go to tractor supply and get some more today!

Don't want to derail the thread but.
You didn't save a dog with heartworms with ivermectin.
Inca
AG
So at one place I buy horse supplies from, the generic ivermectin is already unavailable. Don't know if it's a unrelated supply chain issue or if it is sold out because of this. Bought 5 tubes of the name brand stuff so that I have enough to do my horses next time they are due.
JB!98
AG
FishrCoAg said:

JB!98 said:

Damn veterinarians with all your medical logic and stuff! If I take a couple of shots of it and don't get the Rona, can I claim that I cured it?
RandyAg98
AG
FishrCoAg said:

JB!98 said:

No he didn't. Probably a rescue or backyard breeder that gave him that advice.
JB!98
AG
RandyAg98 said:

FishrCoAg said:

JB!98 said:

No he didn't. Probably a rescue or backyard breeder that gave him that advice.
No more derailment, but it was the internets and my wife. Me being a cheap ass and knowing how to give animals shots etc and boom heart worm cure. She was a mutt and did live though. Now back to your regular programming.
FishrCoAg
AG
JB!98 said:

FishrCoAg said:

JB!98 said:

Damn veterinarians with all your medical logic and stuff! If I take a couple of shots of it and don't get the Rona, can I claim that I cured it?

Yep!
chris1515
AG
The small town I'm from had an elderly man die of Covid 19 a few weeks ago. Rumor has it that a friend of his had been in close contact with him and came down with all the symptoms. He self treated with some pour on Ivomec and was well in 2 days. Supposedly it burned the skin on his arm where he used it though.

Considering this is in an area where a lot of folks know someone that used dog dewormer to cure their cancer, the use of Ivomec is not surprising at all.
FishrCoAg
AG
I don't think you can absorb enough ivermectin through the skin to reach normal therapeutic levels, much less levels high enough to kill corona even if you bathe in it.
plain_o_llama
Good technical discussion on challenges of using Ivermectin for viruses in humans.
A few weeks old.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-599/
Start at 2:30ish

chris1515
AG
Interesting to listen to that conversation even though it was way over my head. The big take away for me was that the test in Australia involved dosage levels WAY above anything approved for humans. It sounded like they didn't know if bad things would happen to humans at those dosage levels, just that they had never had any reason to explore it because the much smaller dosages that are approved worked for everything they looked at it for before.
OKC~Ag
it not just ivermectin, another worm medicine, Niclosamide also shows similar potential...

not available in the US but in 3rd world OTC in drug store...maybe in Agg supply business for farm animals in the US?
Demo_Slug
AG
Wonder if the use this stuff in prison?
Not a Bot
AG
Uhhh... I sure hope we are doing some clinical trials on this. One paper analyzing hospital data (actually done by a group of MDs, not just one guy, so I corrected). Given that we've seen it work in vitro and hospital data seems to show it could work, this is definitely worthy of further study.

Quote:

Results: The cohort (including 704 ivermectin treated and 704 controls) was derived from 169 hospitals across 3 continents with COVID-19 illness. The patients were matched for age, sex, race or ethnicity, comorbidities and a illness severity score (qSOFA). Of those requiring mechanical ventilation fewer patients died in the ivermectin group (7.3% versus 21.3%) and overall death rates were lower with ivermectin (1.4% versus 8.5%; HR 0.20 CI 95% 0.11-0.37, p<0.0001).

Conclusions and Relevance: The administration of ivermectin during COVID-19 illness in hospitalized patients is associated with a lower mortality and hospital length of stay. These findings require confirmation in randomized controlled trials.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3580524
Sq 17
OF the group that was treated is there a layman' summary of dosage and exact product administered
TIA
Not a Bot
AG
Sq 17 said:

OF the group that was treated is there a layman' summary of dosage and exact product administered
TIA

From the full study:
Quote:

. The average dose of Ivermectin administered
was 150mcg/kg body weight and based on clinician discretion for treatment of COVID-19

cone
AG
is this more HCQ snake oil?
chris1515
AG
Seems like people are doing some legit testing on this.
Not a Bot
AG
cone said:

Let's put it this way: This study is the same type of study and same level of evidence as the study of VA patients taking HCQ, except this patient selection was more statistically similar in the control and intervention groups.
cone
AG
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2820%2931042-4/fulltext

Give me more of this rather than some anti-parasitic off the shelf
fullback44
AG
cone said:

HCQ
Zpac
Zinc

Some Drs have seen 100 % effective treatment .. one Dr effectively treated 500 patients w ZeRo deaths .. late state sickness may be diff ..

I absolutely do not get why the media isn't publishing and or talking more about these results ..
chris1515
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/19/world/americas/19reuters-health-coronavirus-bolivia-drug.html

Trinidad, Bolivia is passing out Ivermectin to citizens to help them not catch Covid.
I'm interested to see the results!
revvie
AG
Guess it didn't work as well as expected in Bolivia. They are now touting "Miracle Mineral Solution" which contains industrial bleach and cures practically ever known disease.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.