Ivermectin vs COVID-19

14,736 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by revvie
Forum Troll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Being in animal health, this is an interesting article. I haven't been able to find the actual paper yet. Also, its only in vitro at this stage. This would be pretty cool though if there's more to it.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

Before we know we'll have people eating their dogs' heartworm preventatives.
Not a Bot
AG
Already an FDA-approved drug. Curious what the mechanism of action is.
Pelayo
AG
hmmm, I rx that along with Elimite for Scabies. Pretty benign stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
VaultingChemist
AG
Interesting article. Another drug used to treat parasites in dogs, Fenbendazole, is being used to treat cancer in patients.
Pelayo
AG
Moxley said:

Already an FDA-approved drug. Curious what the mechanism of action is.
very curious
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Here's the link where you can download the pdf of the full article:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011
Mic Dropper
AG
It would make sense to use an animal drug on an animal produced virus.
Shiner Bock
AG
petco about to have a run on heartguard
Not a Bot
AG
Yep. Trump doesn't need to tweet about this one just yet.
Burrus86
AG
Will humans have to measure the dosage in 25 pound body weight increments, too?
Charpie
AG
I have some of that. I use it in cream form for my eczema.
Inca
AG
Curious how much your paying for the cream. I'm assuming doctors advise against using the horse paste dewormer you can get for $5 per tube. (Or less sometimes.). As a topical cream only. Not to ingest!
Charpie
AG
Its expensive as hell. I pay $75 a month for it. Because its so pricy, I use it sparingly.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So we could just run everyone through a squeeze chute and squirt some on their backs?
Inca
AG
So quick google shows human cream is 1% ivermectin. Horse dewormer is 1.87% ivermectin. I'm guessing the inert ingredients (medium) is different. But really curious what a doctor would say about using the horse product. Lol. Talking about topical eczema treatment only!!!!!!
jpb1999
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

So we could just run everyone through a squeeze chute and squirt some on their backs?

Do we have to say mooooo while getting the squeeze?
trip
AG
I have gotten enough of the cattle spray on me to kill everything.
Pantera
AG

When we're in the chute we have to move and wiggle to make it AS HARD AS POSSIBLE to get in in the right spot on our backs ... tis is tradition.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Is this the medical version of throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks?
FishrCoAg
AG
It has shown some antiviral effects in vitro against some other viruses as well. Also used to prevent river blindness, but the dose is a lot higher than you could get even by eating a box of heartgard. Also, though the generic animal health products are cheap, there have been some issues with efficacy with some of them. Depending on the dose needed to kill the virus, there might also be some significant side effects, but it's certainly worth exploring.
ag0207
AG
You need a different Doctor. It works ok for Rosacea though.
Charpie
AG
He was the closest Aggie derm in my hood. With the new job, I'll be finding one once we can go back to see a doctor
dermdoc
AG
ag0207 said:

You need a different Doctor. It works ok for Rosacea though.
Yep.
2PacShakur
AG
Burrus86 said:

Will humans have to measure the dosage in 25 pound body weight increments, too?
Depends on the amount of drug in the pill but yes, that's how dosing works to get to that minimum X mg/kg of body weight.
AgsMnn
AG
I can see it now, ranchers lined up with their spray guns and people walking through like cattle getting wormed.
AgResearch
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Is this the medical version of throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks?
That's exactly what you do in a pandemic. Target medicines that affect related pathways that the virus is exploiting/affecting and then broadly screen all related drugs.
chris1515
AG
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043740/

Quote:

There are few drugs that can seriously lay claim to the title of 'Wonder drug', penicillin and aspirin being two that have perhaps had greatest beneficial impact on the health and wellbeing of Mankind. But ivermectin can also be considered alongside those worthy contenders, based on its versatility, safety and the beneficial impact that it has had, and continues to have, worldwideespecially on hundreds of millions of the world's poorest people. Several extensive reports, including reviews authored by us, have been published detailing the events behind the discovery, development and commercialization of the avermectins and ivermectin (22,23-dihydroavermectin B), as well as the donation of ivermectin and its use in combating Onchocerciasis and lymphatic filariasis.

Ivermectin has continually proved to be astonishingly safe for human use. Indeed, it is such a safe drug, with minimal side effects, that it can be administered by non-medical staff and even illiterate individuals in remote rural communities, provided that they have had some very basic, appropriate training. This fact has helped contribute to the unsurpassed beneficial impact that the drug has had on human health and welfare around the globe, especially with regard to the campaign to fight Onchocerciasis.
buda91
AG
I prefer the green-apple flavored.
samsal75
AG
Mooooooooo.......Moooooooo.... Calling Doc Hoop!
Owlagdad
Gonna go to the Ag teacher instead of the Doc
chris1515
AG
It sounds like this is used extensively in Africa for a couple of parasitic illnesses that seem somewhat similar to malaria....hmm...malaria treatments used for covid...this might not be so crazy after all.

Jethro95
AG
Gotta watch out for that dude with the ear tags.
dreyOO
Could you imagine participating in one of these studies, finding out it's an animal drug, and then it ****ing working. Ha
flashplayer
AG

As much of that crap that ends up on me each time we work, I ought to have a pretty decent protective dose on board.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Jethro95 said:

Gotta watch out for that dude with the ear tags.
As long as they don't fire up the branding iron!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.