My Covid 19 Experience in BCS.

24,551 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie1819 said:

Capitol Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

For background I am 34 years old multiple Ironman triathlete. So I am not your typical unhealthy patient.
This is the drum I beat as a trainer, being in peak level shape maximizes one's ability to overcome almost anything and why I try to explain to clients and others not to just follow the general guidelines for good health but to make the "excessive" level of fitness your norm. Whether it's being a triathlete, marathon runner, strength lifter, whatever. Be an athlete not a card puncher who does the minimum.

Being a triathlete probably saved your life or at the very least made a very bad situation not get worse. Prayers for your complete recovery.

I can't argue with that. I definitely think it helps. I appreciate the kind words. I was actually registered to compete in Ultraman last weekend. Of course it was cancelled or postponed until the fall.
Glad you're better!

You said you had a rescue inhaler. Is that something you keep around the house? When was the last time you had an asthma attack prior to this?
Belton Ag
AG
What's weird about the OP's experience is that we've had 44 people test positive for COVID here in BCS yet only a few are actually hospitalized. I wonder how those people were able to get the test?
KidDoc
AG
Belton Ag said:

What's weird about the OP's experience is that we've had 44 people test positive for COVID here in BCS yet only a few are actually hospitalized. I wonder how those people were able to get the test?
Risk factors.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Sorry you are having a hard time but you almost certainly have COVID and, aside from early and unproven HCQ & Azithro, a + test would change 0 about your management.

CHI-St Jo does have a respiratory clinic specifically for your type of story I would contact them if you feel like you are not improving but do not need ER/hospital level care.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agsalaska
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Thanks for sharing, it sure seems like you had it - can't believe they wouldn't test you given the symptoms and the fact they aren't overrun with older patients yet.

GET WELL! Sounds like you are over the hump. I would have gone to the ER on your day 3, but I have anxiety and am a giant *****.
Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Belton Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

Capitol Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

For background I am 34 years old multiple Ironman triathlete. So I am not your typical unhealthy patient.
This is the drum I beat as a trainer, being in peak level shape maximizes one's ability to overcome almost anything and why I try to explain to clients and others not to just follow the general guidelines for good health but to make the "excessive" level of fitness your norm. Whether it's being a triathlete, marathon runner, strength lifter, whatever. Be an athlete not a card puncher who does the minimum.

Being a triathlete probably saved your life or at the very least made a very bad situation not get worse. Prayers for your complete recovery.

I can't argue with that. I definitely think it helps. I appreciate the kind words. I was actually registered to compete in Ultraman last weekend. Of course it was cancelled or postponed until the fall.
Glad you're better!

You said you had a rescue inhaler. Is that something you keep around the house? When was the last time you had an asthma attack prior to this?

I haven't had a full on asthma attack in since I was a little kid. I do get a little breathing problems in allergy season. I stay active and have pretty good lung function normally.
Complete Idiot
agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Thanks for sharing, it sure seems like you had it - can't believe they wouldn't test you given the symptoms and the fact they aren't overrun with older patients yet.

GET WELL! Sounds like you are over the hump. I would have gone to the ER on your day 3, but I have anxiety and am a giant *****.
Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
Seems to be an incomplete statement - Texas has run tens of thousands of tests, but I don't know when they are not testing. Not testing in Brazos county, because it's not a hotspot, unless hospitalized? Since not everyone tested in Texas was hospitalized at the time, I don't know what their criteria is.
agsalaska
AG
Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
Seems to be an incomplete statement - Texas has run tens of thousands of tests, but I don't know when they are not testing. Not testing in Brazos county, because it's not a hotspot, unless hospitalized? Since not everyone tested in Texas was hospitalized at the time, I don't know what their criteria is.
Texas has run 49000 tests, including many tests for people who work in the medical field but show no symptoms. They are testing very few people like the OP. For reference New York is testing 18,000 people a day.

For example, doctor gets sick, everyone he has worked with gets tested. So of course it is only 10%

But OP is not in need of ICU, therefore he is not tested.

Same thing happened to my dad.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

bangobango
AG
Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
We are way under testing. Really disappointed Abbott is not raising some hell about the lack of test kits here.
agsalaska
AG
Me too. Abbot is taking the 'nothing to see here' approach instead of raising hell. At least publicly.

JeremiahJohnson
AG
agsalaska said:

Me too. Abbot is taking the 'nothing to see here' approach instead of raising hell. At least publicly.
I would assume there is more going on than what we hear. Or at least I hope.
AggieKatie2
AG
aggie1819 said:

Except for the asthma
Dad
AG
agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
Texas has run 49000 tests, including many tests for people who work in the medical field but show no symptoms. They are testing very few people like the OP. For reference New York is testing 18,000 people a day.

For example, doctor gets sick, everyone he has worked with gets tested. So of course it is only 10%

The opposite happened with my mom. She is old with other health problems so they told her she needed to test with just a normal cough/sinus infection and no other Covid-like symptoms. She is fine and still hasn't received her results but they will be negative.

I think that test would have been better used on the OP. If nothing else it would make our Covid count more accurate and divert some federal money, medicine, equipment, etc this way. If Texas has hundreds of thousands of cases but none of those people can get tested, then the federal government acts like it is all good here when it is not until the **** hits the fan.
88planoAg
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Doctors would classify the OP's experience as 'Mild' symptoms, correct?

Not even. Mild symptoms get tested.

This reads like a panic attack with a feedback loop from hell.

Eventually, you either call an ambulance and get checked in.

Or accept what the Dr. says and chill.

Crazy powerful the brain is.
uh huh. Brain is not powerful enough to create a fever for 10 days. This was not a panic attack.

OP - sure would be interesting to see a CT of your lungs.
AgLA06
AG
bangobango said:

Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP
We are way under testing. Really disappointed Abbott is not raising some hell about the lack of test kits here.

Serious question. What good would that do?

You can't test if you don't have kits. You can't make a test kit until the virus is known. Chinese kits are garbage so the only option is for private practice to retool and make them. Production numbers are rising exponentially, but availability will be by need. Texas is down the list. Hell Houston isn't even on the charts of the top 30ish cities with cases.

agsalaska
AG
aggie-beta said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP

The opposite happened with my mom. She is old with other health problems so they told her she needed to test with just a normal cough/sinus infection and no other Covid-like symptoms. She is fine and still hasn't received her results but they will be negative.

I think that test would have been better used on the OP. If nothing else it would make our Covid count more accurate and divert some federal money, medicine, equipment, etc this way. If Texas has hundreds of thousands of cases but none of those people can get tested, then the federal government acts like it is all good here when it is not until the **** hits the fan.
I know this is purely anecdotal and I dont know what the total is, but I know my dad's county has reported two but the local County Official who gave the report to the newspaper said they suspect a couple of dozen. My county has 28 but a doctor friend of mine said off the cuff that it is easily ten times that.

So who knows. I know right now, in Texas at least, we are not being honest with ourselves.

Another Doug
AG
The dude gives you a complete breakdown of his background and experience and that is all you can say.

You know why you know that... because he explained it in his post.
AggieKatie2
AG
Beware of Doug said:

The dude gives you a complete breakdown of his background and experience and that is all you can say.

You know why you know that... because he explained it in his post.

Going for knight in shining armor? Jesus go find something else to do.
Ragoo
AG
aggie1819 said:

South Platte said:

That's scary. Do you think if you wanted to be admitted they would have admitted you or refused until you got worse and had to call 911?

That's a good question. Honestly have no idea. I am just glad I didn't get to that point. I tried to follow their instructions and stay away because I don't want to spread what I have.

As long as I don't get pneumonia, I think I'm in the clear
did you do anything specific to curb the pneumonia? That is the potential scary part.

Also I don't know how I would handle 10-11 days being sick like that. 3-4 days of a sinus infection and I am going to the clinic for a ZPak.
bay fan
S
Wow, I am glad you felt up to sharing your story. I suspect this is happening across the country. Do you have any idea how you got it?

My sister in law who also has asthma was tested in Northern California two weeks ago. It took an egregious 10 days for her test to come back negative. By then she knew she didn't have it.

Tests need to be readily available EVERYWHERE and it's not acceptable to take 10 days for results. Also, our shelter in place was extended through May 3d today. Stories like yours make me happy at home.

Hope your recovery is quick and smooth from this point forward. Very sorry you were so sick.
Ranger222
AG
aggie1819 said:

Capitol Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

Actually going to go the opposite...I think it actually hurt OP and may have caused more severe symptoms for him. He mentioned he was just skiing...probably a lot of physical exhaustion occurred that lowered the immune system temporarily that allowed the virus to get a better hold. That and the travel could also have same effect.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Ranger222 said:

aggie1819 said:

Capitol Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

Actually going to go the opposite...I think it actually hurt OP and may have caused more severe symptoms for him. He mentioned he was just skiing...probably a lot of physical exhaustion occurred that lowered the immune system temporarily that allowed the virus to get a better hold. That and the travel could also have same effect.
When your body is used to that type of exercise it doesn't drive you down. Does the opposite.
bay fan
S
aggie1819 said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

Did you go skiing OP? How long ago? In other words, how long between onset of symptoms?

Yes I skied. I was visiting my parents in Breckenridge. My mom is a severe asthmatic and has not gotten sick. My symptoms started 7+ days from the time I was in Colorado. Considering all the cases in College Station is is also possible I got it here or driving home.
Are there lots of cases in College Station?
FaithfulAg04
AG
Wow. DO. NOT. WANT.

I'm 38 and had asthma issues into my early 30s.

I have now decided I do not want the COVID.

This story was very disheartening. So when they say "80% experience Mild symptoms", the fortunate with Mild symptoms may still have to survive a week of this? What a mess.
Ranger222
AG
Numerous studies over the last 35 years report an increase in upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms in athletes during periods of heavy training and competition. Challenges athletes face such as heavy exercise and life stress influence immune function via activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and the sympathetic nervous system and the resulting immunoregulatory hormones. Both innate and acquired immunity are often reported to decrease transiently in the hours after heavy exertion, typically 15-70%: prolonged heavy training sessions in particular have been shown to decrease immune function; potentially providing an 'open window' for opportunistic infections. Whether the observed changes in immunity with acute strenuous exercise or periods of heavy training account for the increased susceptibility to URI symptoms remains contentious. Nevertheless, there is little doubt that URI symptoms hinder athletic training and competition; underpinning the need to identify the prominent risk factors and appropriate countermeasures. Recent studies have identified prominent risk factors, including: intensified training in the winter; long-haul travel; low energy availability; high levels of psychological stress and anxiety; and depression. Given the shared pathways and effector limbs for the body's response to physical and psychological challenges, it is logical that psychological strain influences immunity and illness incidence in athletes under heavy training; indeed, stress and anxiety have recently been shown to modify the immune response to exercise. This mini-review provides new insights and evidence-based recommendations for coping with the various challenges that athletes encounter on immune health, including: heavy exercise; life stress; sleep disruption; environmental extremes and nutritional deficits.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29637836/
bay fan
S
JB99 said:

CT'97 said:

What would testing have done?

With the symptoms described would they have changed any treatment with a positive test? I'm not a doctor but from what I've read the answer is no.

What you described is what a large portion of the 80% of use who will get this will deal with.

There's evidence that if prescribed Hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and azmithrocin early on it helps quite a bit. If they can precribe that without being tested, great. If it takes a positive test to get that prescribed, then we are not treating this virus as best we could.
As much as we all hope that is true, the evidence is basically anecdotal and medically unproven according to Dr Fauci. (If you read about very small study out of China with all patients under 40 or 50, can't remember which it seems quite obvious not evidence of anything. We don't seem to know who will get a bad case of this and who will recover on their own. )

People need to quit posting this as fact until, hopefully, it becomes one.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Are there lots of cases in College Station?
We may never know due to lack of testing. There are 53 confirmed cases in Brazos County. But I suspect the total number of cases to be much higher.

Since only those are requiring hospitalization allowed to be tested, and with only 8 patients reported by the health dept to have been hospitalized (2 have been discharged), how did all the others get tested? Family members or healthcare workers?
Charpie
AG
Not really. He called out that he had asthma. Your comment was very gb/politics board like. That kind of stuff should stay over there. Heck the comment didn't do anything but flame the op...which again, isn't really necessary here.

I suggest we all learn that there is a time and a place for this kind of comment. This isn't the place.

To the OP, I hope you get better. I have asthma myself and that alone makes me terrified of this thing. Here's hoping you kick this in the butt!
bay fan
S
Complete Idiot said:

Thomas Ford 91 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Thomas Ford 91 said:

It is common for people to experience a recovery period before crashing. Watch for signs of a heart attack. CALL 911 IF YOU START TO DECLINE.
I am sure he appreciates the pick-me-up.

Can you post some stats regarding heart attacks in a non-hospitalized Covid case

Hey Complete Idiot, sorry about being a Debbie Downer.

You can Google myocardial infarction and coronavirus if you want more info.
I would like to ask the person who said crashing is common and you could have a heart attack even if never hospitalized and recovering to please post the stats supporting that, a quick google did not suggest heart attacks are likely but I may have missed something. I assume if you are using all caps to tell them to call 911 that the situation is dire and I'd like to be educated on the topic.
If you hear any Paramedics from NYC discussing this virus they all report a crazy uptick in heart attack calls. Also, a 29 year old healthy nurse (daughter of a friend of mine) passed away 10 days ago due to fluid surrounding her heart after being stricken with Covid. This young woman ran a marathon last month. Heart involvement is in fact a common result though I don't know the timing.
DTP02
AG
Belton Ag said:

A big chunk of that from the one nursing home that had the two fatalities would be my guess, between the patients and the HCWs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
FaithfulAg04 said:

Wow. DO. NOT. WANT.

I'm 38 and had asthma issues into my early 30s.

I have now decided I do not want the COVID.

This story was very disheartening. So when they say "80% experience Mild symptoms", the fortunate with Mild symptoms may still have to survive a week of this? What a mess.

There are very differing definitions of mild. So far as I can tell this is how its all breaking down in the US in approximates:

25 out of every 100 or so.: Truly Mild or Completely Asymptomatic:

35 out of every 100 or so: Light Cough, Noticeable headaches, Light Fever (101 or less), Runny Nose, Congestion

25 out of every 100 or so: Cough, Higher Fever, Massive migraine like headaches, Breathing Difficulty, Loss of Taste or Smell Feels like you need hospitalization but apparently you don't:

13 out of every 100 or so: Need hospitalization , end up on ventilator and/or in ICU:

2 out of every 100 or so: Die
Belton Ag
AG
DTP02 said:

Belton Ag said:

A big chunk of that from the one nursing home that had the two fatalities would be my guess, between the patients and the HCWs.
Yeah I just saw we had 7 more positive cases today. I'm wondering how many of that is with this facility.

There was a post the other day about this same facility or one next door that had an influenza outbreak there that killed patients. Very sad.
JB99
AG
bay fan said:

JB99 said:

CT'97 said:

What would testing have done?

With the symptoms described would they have changed any treatment with a positive test? I'm not a doctor but from what I've read the answer is no.

What you described is what a large portion of the 80% of use who will get this will deal with.

There's evidence that if prescribed Hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and azmithrocin early on it helps quite a bit. If they can precribe that without being tested, great. If it takes a positive test to get that prescribed, then we are not treating this virus as best we could.
As much as we all hope that is true, the evidence is basically anecdotal and medically unproven according to Dr Fauci. (If you read about very small study out of China with all patients under 40 or 50, can't remember which it seems quite obvious not evidence of anything. We don't seem to know who will get a bad case of this and who will recover on their own. )

People need to quit posting this as fact until, hopefully, it becomes one.

If I got sick, I would be doing everything I could to get it prescribed. Doctors in NY are takimg it as a preventative. It's already being used widely globally. No one is going to wait on the double blind study and neither would you if you got sick or one of your loved ones.
DTP02
AG
bangobango said:

Complete Idiot said:

agsalaska said:

Complete Idiot said:

Texas is not testing.

Get better OP

If hospitals had widespread availability of test kits then you'd greatly increase the strain on healthcare resources. Some of the impetus for the guidance regarding testing is coming from that concern rather than just being about a scarcity of tests.

If (1) we had a drive-thru type test available that could (2) be correctly administered by non-healthcare workers that (3) wouldn't increase the backlog on getting test results back for critical patients, then we could test in a much more widespread manner without the negative implications.

But testing, without those preconditions or something similar to them, can do more harm than good. And the end result would be the same whether it's "sounds like you have CV" or "this test, which might be wrong because it has a significant false positive rate, says you have CV."

If we had widespread testing available that wouldn't overwhelm the healthcare system further AND we had an early/prophylactic treatment such as the potential hydroxychloraquine cocktail with widespread availability (we don't have enough availability in TX even if we had the testing) then testing would be a huge piece of the puzzle.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Our country's response to this outbreak ia completely unacceptable. Lots of people like the OP being told to just suck it up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.